Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
MissIrisMG,

Yes, the Code Search found the right code for the Dynex TV after about three minutes of trial and error.

The drawback is that one has no idea what the actual code number is when the correct code has been found using Code Search. The good feature is that the codes will not be lost when replacing batteries as long as the new batteries are in place within ten minutes and no buttons have been pushed during the period that no batteries are in place.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Here are more of the specs for the tb100

tuner: Sanyo
UTUNATSSP004
UB010AF
LOT FULQ

there is a 11 pin ribbon cable connector port

the biggest square chip on top of daughter board reads
R8A66973FP
RF0Z
74110H
JAPAN

after removing the sticker the rectangular chip next to it reads
SAMSUNG 740
K4H561638H-UCB3
H5616 WBG465P1C

on the bottom of the daughter board facing down there is another chip which is not visible and was also covered by a sticker that had to be removed.
using a dentists mirror here is what I could make out
ST e3
M29DW323DB
70N6 H
99AMW VS
MYZ 99 746

under the motherboard facing down there is also another chip that reads
ST1
QSZAAOSHT177
151 7450Z07
post #63 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

Here are some pics of the inside of the unit. You can see two empty output slots one looks like s video or smart antenna and the other possibly digital audio, this has three chips one says japan , one says samsung and one says sharp also has a connector port possibly for firmware update on the circuit board directly above the sanyo tin can tuner.

Yes! There appears to be a spot for a SVideo connector to the left (looking from the front top) of the yellow Composite connector, which makes sense for location. Also I'd assume some type of audio conector to the right of the red "right" connector. It appears it could also be an RCA connector goes there, but might need that electrolytic cap filled.

I would be very interested to see a picture of the traces on the bottom of the board, especially under the S-connector, so we can see if they go directly to the chip or through some (missing) circuitry that needs to be filled in for it to work. Can you get pics of that?
post #64 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

MissIrisMG,

Yes, the Code Search found the right code for the Dynex TV after about three minutes of trial and error.

The drawback is that one has no idea what the actual code number is when the correct code has been found using Code Search. The good feature is that the codes will not be lost when replacing batteries as long as the new batteries are in place within ten minutes and no buttons have been pushed during the period that no batteries are in place.

Are you sure you tried this to load the Magnavox tuner's code into your remote?! Because I must have hit "Channel UP" for a good ten minutes and nothing happened, and I followed the directions in the manual.

Dynex was already in my list of codes, but I don't even care about finding that anyway, so I suppose I need to verify what you're telling me I'm able to do regarding the Magnavox STB. If you were just talking about the Dynex, that's not helpful to my purposes at all, and I'm back to square one, although I do appreciate the input! :-)

Thanks!
post #65 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replay3030Owner View Post

Yes! There appears to be a spot for a SVideo connector to the left (looking from the front top) of the yellow Composite connector, which makes sense for location. Also I'd assume some type of audio conector to the right of the red "right" connector. It appears it could also be an RCA connector goes there, but might need that electrolytic cap filled.

I would be very interested to see a picture of the traces on the bottom of the board, especially under the S-connector, so we can see if they go directly to the chip or through some (missing) circuitry that needs to be filled in for it to work. Can you get pics of that?

here is the bottom of the board. I also noticed that the top of the board had a circuit trace labeled spdif which I assume is for digital coxial audio. it is located near the center on the top side.
LL
post #66 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Here are more of the specs for Magx TB100MW9

after removing the sticker the rectangular chip next to it reads
SAMSUNG 740
K4H561638H-UCB3
H5616 WBG465P1C

on the bottom of the daughter board facing down there is another chip which
is not visible and was also covered by a sticker that had to be removed.
Using a dentists mirror here is what I could make out:
ST e3
M29DW323DB
70N6 H
99AMW VS
MYZ 99 746

under the motherboard facing down there is also another chip that reads
ST1
QSZAAOSHT177
151 7450Z07

Samsung K4H561638H-UCB3 is 256 Mbit DDR SDRAM.

ST Microelectronics M29DW323DB is 32 Mbit Flash Memory.

About how big is the "ST1" chip? About how many pins?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

post #67 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Decided to void my $12 warranty and run a side by side comparison, I have 2 magnavox tb100s, both were made on 071229 and have sequencial serial numbers. I removed the lid and drilled some ventilation holes in one and closed the unit back up, plugged in both units and connected them up as if I was using them normally, after an hour on the same channel the ventilated unit is running at 87 degrees and the factory unit is running at 110. Seems like they don't want these to last people very long, I could understand some of these units that have external AC/12vDC adapters would not need much ventilation but units like this with an internal power supply should have vents.
Whoever appoved these really did their homework!

How did you figure out where to drill the vent holes? Did you need to put holes in the sides or bottom too? I'm thinking about the Magnavox model after reading the sound issues with the Zenith.
post #68 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristpad2 View Post

How did you figure out where to drill the vent holes? Did you need to put holes in the sides or bottom too? I'm thinking about the Magnavox model after reading the sound issues with the Zenith.

No holes in the sides just the lid for now, I may go back and make some on the bottom directly under the tin can tuner because it is still getting way to hot below that area.

here is how I modified the lid,

unplug the unit and let it stand for a while if it has been plugged in for awhile. remove the 4 screws on the bottom of unit then remove the lid. the front panel and clear plastic led refractor pieces will now be lose so be careful not to lose or drop them.

place the detached lid by itself on a hard surface and adhere masking tape or better yet a blank shipping label on the top/outside of the lid, this is to prevent scuffing from the drill, drilling down through the top/outside very slowly using a 1/8" bit, slowly being the most important part to prevent slipping, scuffing, schreding or cracking the lid. if you do not have steady hands do not attempt, also this will completely void your warrenty unless you happen to have a second box laying around with a factory lid.

there is an example of the vents arrangement pictured below.
be careful to avoid placing your vents too close together, too close to the edges or above any structure that supports the lids placement.
You can see what I mean by this statement by examining the inside/bottom of the lid.
LL
post #69 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

About how big is the "ST1" chip? About how many pins?

picture of chip
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1205712718
post #70 of 154 Old 03-16-2008, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
MissIrisMG,

I mentioned programing the Philips remote for Dynex and other TVs as examples of assignment of various devices to different device codes and the Code Search method. I was very pleased to find the Dynex code after as few as three minutes.

I don't have a Magnavox converter box. Since Funai products (including Magnavox) are very common in the marketplace it is reasonable to assume that the correct Magnavox code may be found somewhere among the hundreds or thousands of codes supported by the Philips universal remote.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #71 of 154 Old 03-17-2008, 05:14 AM

Thanks Satpro.

I'm planning on using the Magnavox box with an older DVD recorder. Since I do a lot of timer recordings, I'll have to leave the box on during the times I set the timer. I don't want the box to overheat. I thought about getting the Zenith/Insiginia boxes (lots of vent holes) since I've read that the picture quality was a little better but decided against it after reading about problems with audio drop outs and other sound issues.

BTW, has anyone had an issue with the Magnavox remote interfering with other Funai products? I had this problem when I stacked a Magnavox DVD player on top of my Sylvania recorder. Also, I since the Magnavox is a Funai product, I wonder if ANY universal remote can control it.
post #72 of 154 Old 03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as using the tb100 for timer recordings by seting it on one channel and leaving, I would avoid it for just this reason. here is why, as I stated previously if the unit looses power from an outage it does not then auto reboot back to video. Instead it just goes back on and stays in standby mode and then someone must manually power it on again. If this still does not convince you to avoid this box then keep in mind to turn off its energy star 4 hour auto off default setting.
post #73 of 154 Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

my VCR looses the time if the power goes off, and very rarely does it pick up the time from the TV signal.

Once the analog signals are gone, the VCR will not be able to reset the time.
post #74 of 154 Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

MissIrisMG,

I mentioned programing the Philips remote for Dynex and other TVs as examples of assignment of various devices to different device codes and the Code Search method. I was very pleased to find the Dynex code after as few as three minutes.

I don't have a Magnavox converter box. Since Funai products (including Magnavox) are very common in the marketplace it is reasonable to assume that the correct Magnavox code may be found somewhere among the hundreds or thousands of codes supported by the Philips universal remote.

Well, apparently it wasn't in this case. If someone has actually tried it with the converter and succeeded, I'd be interested to know what they did. Thanks, anyway.
post #75 of 154 Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Neither the current Philips or Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder's code's can be found in any remote, so it doesn't surprise me. Whoever's actually making them now (for Funai) must be using all new ones, so as common as they used to be, they're not anymore.
post #76 of 154 Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM

Liked: 11
no luck trying to program this thing to a universal remote
other than that this is a good product.
I been testing 2 of these babies for 2 weeks now.

JIMMY
post #77 of 154 Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Picked up one of these at Wally World a couple nights ago. I haven't even ordered my coupons yet (trying to time their arrival to coincide with the possible, projected, hoped-for late-summer debut of the EchoStar TR-40), so I paid the full freight--$49.95 + tax. I was surprised that the checkout clerk actually asked me if I had my $40 coupon.

The unit is what it's supposed to be: a very simple, no frills "converter" to keep your older, non-HDTV operational post-2/17/09. Set up was dead-nuts simple; it found all but one of my local stations, and that one failure was probably due to antenna orientation. But an annoying glitch is that when I re-oriented the antenna and keyed in the channel number, the TB100 *still* couldn't "find" the channel. Apparently, I have to completely re-scan, even though the manual promises otherwise--an annoyance. PQ was adequate--WAY better than the analog versions of the channels--though not up to the SD output from my Samgsung 260 tuner. I also detected a very slight greenish cast to the picture on my 20" Sony Wega CRT that I don't see on any other source. Another annoyance not having a button on the remote to change the aspect ratio; you have to drill down through the setup menus to do it--a pain because some of my local stations are still 4:3 and some are 16:9. Further, some of the 16:9 channels sometimes run programs that come out letterboxed and pillarboxed, and one-touch zooming to full screen would be a big help. On the up side, when a station is 4:3 and the unit is set to letterbox, it still comes out full screen; the Samsung DTB-H260F squashes and stretches the image and so requires you to manually adjust the ratio.

Your only interface with the box is through that remote--no controls on the box itself aside from the master power switch on the right-hand side panel--and though I normally don't get torqued off about remote ergonomics, I hafta say this one is pretty lame. Buttons are mushy and don't make positive contact. Hit one off-center or don't push deeply enough, and you're staring at the screen waiting for something to happen that isn't. At the center of the remote are four large directional buttons for navigating the menus--exactly where the hand wants the channel-changer buttons to be. Instead, those are two small blue buttons at the upper right of the remote--inconveniently placed and nearly impossible to hit without changing your grip on the remote. Overall, the remote seems like it was designed for some other purpose and button assignments were made willy nilly to accommodate the TB100.

When you change channels, there is some lag before the tuner locks onto the new channel, but all digital tuners seems to do that, and it's not an excessive time--seems to vary based on signal strength of the individual channel. The EPG data loaded up within minutes of scanning in the channels, but I find OTA DTV EPGs pretty useless except for telling you what you're watching at the moment. So don't cancel that TV Guide subscription right yet. One nice thing: the info screen for the channel you're watching also contains a signal strength bar. You have to drill down through the menus to get the same with the Samsung 260.

I mainly need the STB to keep my Panasonic DMR-E85 and other analog-tunered DVDRs viable, and of course, the TB100 is only a partial solution to that because it won't let you record multiple events on different channels. Not an utter deal-breaker, since I rarely record more than one program a night.

Most, if not all, of these boxes have an auto shutoff feature, and the TB100 comes with a default setting of 4 hours--another annoyance. Last night I was too busy to watch Madama Butterfly from New York City opera, so I tuned it in on the TB100, ran the box's output to the front inputs on the E85, and time-shifted the program..until the 4 hour limit was up and the TB100 shut off in the middle of Act III while I was busy in another room. Note to Self: Disable auto-shutoff function IMMEDIATELY upon setting up new tuner/DVDR/etc.

The other thing I'm concerned about is sound quality--i.e., is it stereo? I couldn't be sure because even if the station is broadcasting a stereo signal, the program itself may be mono or stereo with poor separation. The NTIA requirements for DTV "converter" boxes seem to require stereo output, but there's nominal stereo and then there's good, high-fidelity stereo with a full dynamic range. Subjectively, I will say the Madama Butterfly broadcast was adequate.

After careful comparison of features and reviews, the Zenith/Insignia unit appears to more in line with what I need/want, and in fact, I ordered one at my local Radio Shack last night (not in stock at my store, so they're shipping one out to me). I've saved the receipt for the Maggie, and it'll probably go back to WW. The Magnavox TB100 is what it is: if you want to keep that vintage Dumont in the den or the Philco in the family room running to watch Andy Griffith Show and I Love Lucy re-runs, this'll do it fer ya.

doswonk
post #78 of 154 Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 AM

I bought the RCA DTA800b and the Magnavox TB100MW9 converters at Wal-Mart.
Units cost $49.87 each ($9.87 after coupon)
The RCA is a far superior unit.
The Menu's and remote control functions are excellent.
Similar in nature to a satellite receiver.
Reception was very good even with just a "bow tie" antenna.

The Magnavox is not worth the money.
It is made by Funi Electronics and the remote control has tiny buttons.
The Menu's are just as bad.
Reception was not very good with just a "bow tie" antenna.
Not even close to the RCA.
post #79 of 154 Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Played with this tuner more over the weekend, and I hafta say, the negatives listed above notwithstanding, I'm getting to like it. In practice, the need to drill down through menus to change the aspect ratio occurs less often than I thought it would: I keep the unit set at Letterbox, and when a station runs 4:3 content, the unit automatically outputs it full screen. For some reason, I did have to hit zoom to fill the screen with The 10 Commandments on Sat. night, but no big sweat. Reception is quite steady--even better when, playing a hunch, I unplugged the amplifier on my indoor rabbit-ear antenna (not surprising--amps often degrade the signal more than they help it). Before unplugging the amp, the TD100's Signal Strength bar was averaging 30-34%, with occasional breakups when I walked right next to the antenna. After unplugging, SS was 74-82%.

The problem remains that the only way to add channels is to re-run the scan--still a major negative--though by tweaking antenna position and finding the "sweet spot," I may be able to keep all the channels I've got and add my local CBS affiliate, which typically requires a substantially different antenna orientation to get a decent analog picture. Curiously enough, the RCA STB also seems to have this limitation--perhaps it and the Magnavox use the same chip or have some other similarities under the hood?

Sat. night I discovered that my PBS affiliate is running 3 digital channels: one in HD, a crafty/hobby/how-to channel, and an SD (I presume) digital feed of their analog OTA--good because the HD and analog feeds are not always identical--last year I missed some programs I wanted to see because they were only on the HD feed. Flipping back and forth between the SD digital and analog feeds showed more subdued colors and perhaps a little softness to the SD DTV picture, but that could be simply a difference in the broadcaster's feed rather than an issue with the TD100. The subtler, less saturated colors may be more realistic.but when you're taping The Lawrence Welk Show for Mom and Dad, it just doesn't seem right.

A side benefit of the rock-solid, clean digital picture is better quality input to the DVD recorder, which means I'll be able to get away with the 4-hour to a disc recording rate more often. Normally, even a little interference or snow in the picture can kick off macroblocking and other artifacts on the recording that are annoying if not downright unacceptable on some programming. Coupling the TD100 with a basic Panasonic DVDR with Panny's 500 line resolution LP mode--say, the new tunerless EZ-18 or one of the many new ES-15s now still available for slightly more than the price of lunch--could be an economical time-shifting powerhouse. I also realized that since I have two DVDRs myself, simply adding a CECB to each will most likely cover my multiple-channel recording needs; not as convenient as dropping all of an evening's time-shifting on one disc (or HDD) but better than the alternative.

I still have the Zenith STB on the way for comparisons--should arrive tomorrow. I've read some complaints about that unit's sound quality, but it could be a localized problem with one broadcaster, a bad unit, or something else, so I want to test for myself. The TD100 is not giving out highly separated stereo for sure, but for most programming it is OK. At least, there's no crackling or distortion, which most emphataically is NOT OK. The Zenith, of course, offers the possibility of being able to add individual channels after running the scan and, judging from the photos online, seems to have a more logical, user-friendly remote.

doswonk
post #80 of 154 Old 03-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replay3030Owner View Post

I got the Magnavox yesterday. I took the top off and saw the spot for the S connector and the digital audio out connector. It would be cool to get these functions working. From what I know the composite signal has both the Y & C merged. So in theory there has to be raw Y & C before that point feeding the circuit that combines them for the composite. I may mess with the circuit and see if I can find the raw Y & C it has to be in that area. Anyone else got any input on these?

Mad Scientist :)
post #81 of 154 Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Does this box have analog passthrough? I read some people say yes and others say no????
post #82 of 154 Old 03-26-2008, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

Does this box have analog passthrough? I read some people say yes and others say no????

No it doesn't

post #83 of 154 Old 03-26-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
There are two models, I don't think the one with pass through is out yet.
post #84 of 154 Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Ok thanks guys. Sad day for me lol
post #85 of 154 Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM

I went to two Walmarts yesterday and they were all sold out of the Magnavox's. They had stacks of the RCAs. I went to a third Walmart this morning and found one left among the stacks of RCAs. I used one of my coupons (I'm saving the second for a better model hopefully). The process was easy.

It turned out to be a returned unit. I had to reset the menu to English (the previous buyer must have changed the language to Spanish). The picture quality was subpar compared to the tuner in my Philips DVD recorder w/digital tuning. Using letterbox brought about a somewhat better picture than zoom (pan & scan?). If a 4x3 broadcast came on using letterbox, I'd see a small picture with black borders top, sides, and bottom.

When I touched the antenna, I get small blocky interference/distortion on the screen. I only live a few miles away from the transmitter towers.

What really got me was the crappy remote that it uses. Ok, I like the AA batteries since I got a bunch of rechargables ones at home that I can always use. But, the buttons are so tiny!!!!!! Someone with big fingers would need a Palm Pilot stick or Nintendo DS stick to push them... ok, I'm kidding but they are really tiny.

I picked up the Magnavox because I haven't read about any issues with the audio. I hope LG (Zenith) corrects their audio issues so that I can buy one of theirs before my other coupon expires in June. I don't think I will hook up this unit to my older analog DVD recorder because overall the quality is pretty sorry compared to my Philip's DVD recorder's digital tuner.

One more thing, watching though the coaxial (TV set to channel 3) produced a worse picture including the closed captioning being a little blurry compared to using the A/V RCA cable connections.
post #86 of 154 Old 03-26-2008, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wristpad2 View Post

I don't think I will hook up this unit to my older analog DVD recorder because overall the quality is pretty sorry compared to my Philip's DVD recorder's digital tuner.

Wow, it must really be bad then, because I had the Philips 3575H and I returned it because I thought the PQ from the digital tuner was terrible. Hard to believe anything could actually be worse than that.

I guess I'll stay away from the Magnavox.
post #87 of 154 Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 AM

I think the PQ on the Magnavox using the coaxial was poor because I later found that there was a setting on the setup asking whether I was using the RF out or the RCA plug out. The setting was on RCA out. Also, I've got my Philips connected to a Sony Trinitron (computer) monitor. This is an excellent monitor which produces a great PQ. I need to plug the Magnavox to it and see if it was my RCA 27" TV that may have caused the poorer PQ.

I just can't stand the remote. I tried my other Funai product's remotes and none of them worked on the Magnavox.
post #88 of 154 Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 AM

Magnavox update.

I plugged the Magnavox to my Sony Trinitron PC monitor and got the exact same PQ as my Philips DVD recorder with digital tuning. I think it was my five year old RCA TV that isn't so great. Some say that the Philips tuner is a Funai. Since this Magnavox is a Funai, having similar tuner characteristics doesn't suprise me. I did notice that the audio sound levels are lower than the analog TV. This sound level is the same as the Philips. BTW, I connected using the RCA (composite) cables. As I wrote above, one has to choose whether the connection will be composite or RF (coaxial) in the setup.
post #89 of 154 Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM

I bought this one at WM for $49.87 for use on my garage TV. I liked nearly all the features except for the remote. I only had it for one day. My hair stylist bought it from me along with my YouTube antenna. She really likes it.
Doswonk1. I live in Aledo IL and I get CH12 in Iowa City. I could never pull in the analog.

Bob 61231
post #90 of 154 Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

I've had the Magnavox for 5 days now. The picture quality is excellent (A/V out) on my 2 year old 32" Toshiba SD tv. HD programing has some of that HD depth something that I never saw on analog. I am a purist when it comes to picture quality. If it looks good to me it has to be good, I give it a pass. I have access to master first generation signals on my big satellite dish and the local HD channels can rival those. There is a bit of dot crawl, but that is the nature of composite out. RF out picture is okay for a RF modulated signal. I daisy chain it to my DVB satellite receiver for a whole house feed into my SMATV system.

The audio is clear and clean, no artifacts like I have heard about the Zenith/Insigna box. This is one reason I went with the Magnavox.

The remote buttons are tiny and a bit annoying at times although Im getting use to them. Having to toggle through the menu's to change from Letterbox to Zoom is a bit of a hassle, so unless I really want to watch Letterbox (HD content only) I leave it in Zoom. The reception quality is solid as a rock on my outdoor antenna. I have seen the meter as high as 100 with almost all my channels in the 90's.

All and all it's not a bad unit for 10 bucks. I am saving my second coupon (Expires in June) to see if there is something else that has more features and no issues (Zenith) that hits the market before I have to use the coupon. If not I may get another Magnavox if there still around.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page