post #91 of 154 Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

No holes in the sides just the lid for now, I may go back and make some on the bottom directly under the tin can tuner because it is still getting way to hot below that area.

here is how I modified the lid,

unplug the unit and let it stand for a while if it has been plugged in for awhile. remove the 4 screws on the bottom of unit then remove the lid. the front panel and clear plastic led refractor pieces will now be lose so be careful not to lose or drop them.

place the detached lid by itself on a hard surface and adhere masking tape or better yet a blank shipping label on the top/outside of the lid, this is to prevent scuffing from the drill, drilling down through the top/outside very slowly using a 1/8" bit, slowly being the most important part to prevent slipping, scuffing, schreding or cracking the lid. if you do not have steady hands do not attempt, also this will completely void your warrenty unless you happen to have a second box laying around with a factory lid.

there is an example of the vents arrangement pictured below.
be careful to avoid placing your vents too close together, too close to the edges or above any structure that supports the lids placement.
You can see what I mean by this statement by examining the inside/bottom of the lid.

I've been thinking about venting mine. Most of the heat comes from the cpu with the power supply being the second source. I went about it differently. I took a 1" hole saw and drilled a 1" circle hole in the middle towards the back. Then I took some nylon windowscreen and glued it on the inside. Then I made the factory holes on the bottom sides bigger and added a few. This created a chimney effect and seems to work well. It has a nice look to it too. I knew no matter how hard I tried to keep a bunch of holes straight they wouldn't end up totally in line. That's when I came up with this idea.

After running the unit for an hour there is only a 5 to 6 degree difference coming out of the chimney hole on top than room temp. I say it's a winner

Mad Scientist :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 154 Old 03-29-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Neither the current Philips or Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder's code's can be found in any remote, so it doesn't surprise me. Whoever's actually making them now (for Funai) must be using all new ones, so as common as they used to be, they're not anymore.

Thanks for the useful information.

I even read a rumor that a company called Gemini made the remote, so I tried their code but it didn't work, either. I wonder if there's a way to gently prod either Magnavox or Funai to release the code or Philips to upgrade their remotes to include the code?
post #93 of 154 Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 AM

A friend of mine finally got her coupons in the mail, and redeemed one of them for the Magnavox. i asked her to bring it over here yesterday to compare it with the Zenith.

The over look/feel was a bit disappointing, and the signal strength on the weakest channel appeared lower with the Magnavox, but I suppose that could be a difference in the signal strength meters. It still managed to lock onto a viewable signal, regardless--and there were no audible sound issues, unlike the Zenith.

I didn't care much for the overall look and polish of the menu system--the Zenith wins hands-down in this area. However, I love the program guide, which extended several hours into the future, as opposed to now/next with the Zenith.

By far, though, the coolest feature that this box had, that I wish was on the Zenith, was a "still" button, enabling you to freeze the current onscreen image for as long as desired. I know--it's a toy feature, a fun feature--but I still wish that it was on the Zenith.

In spite of the look/feel, which worries me a bit, I wouldn't mind having the Magnavox as a second converter.
post #94 of 154 Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Sounds like the clear favorites so far in features and performance are both the LG's and the Digital Stream, which isn't surprising, given that these are about the only two companies making these new tuners who have been making standalone ATSC tuners over the years.
post #95 of 154 Old 03-30-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just bought one of these "Maggotboxes" because my Motorola HDT-100 died last night. I like it for it's functionality, but the tuner in this maggot box isn't even close to the old Motorola... On stations I got at 100% with the Motorola, I am only getting a 70 for a signal out of the Magnavox. I think I'll take it back and try the Zenith next...

The magnavox did pick up all the channels that the motorola did, just at weaker signal readings...
post #96 of 154 Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 AM

I noticed that WalMart now shows the selling price as $52.97 on its web site
post #97 of 154 Old 04-02-2008, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post

I found it at one Wal*Mart location in the Indy area for $49.87.

Wal*Mart's price increased to $52.97. These CECBs must be selling briskly enough to allow Wal*Mart to pass on the increased shipping costs from the Peoples' Republic of China. It's a brisk 6% price hike!
post #98 of 154 Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Wal*Mart's price increased to $52.97. These CECBs must be selling briskly enough to allow Wal*Mart to pass on the increased shipping costs from the Peoples' Republic of China. It's a brisk 6% price hike!

Glad I got mine for the $49.87 price. Well $10.71 with the coupon. May hold off on getting another Magnavox now. May try something else before the second coupon expires. I wish all the LG's didn't have the DD 5.1 problem. I would like to try the Zenith but not with that flaw. My Magnavox works fine the only thing that bugs me is I wish it had an aspect ratio on the fly button on the remote. I have till June 13th till #2 expires so I don't have to buy another yet, by then things may change.

Mad Scientist :)
post #99 of 154 Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvropro View Post

Glad I got mine for the $49.87 price. Well $10.71 with the coupon. May hold off on getting another Magnavox now. May try something else before the second coupon expires. I wish all the LG's didn't have the DD 5.1 problem. I would like to try the Zenith but not with that flaw. My Magnavox works fine the only thing that bugs me is I wish it had an aspect ratio on the fly button on the remote. I have till June 13th till #2 expires so I don't have to buy another yet, by then things may change.

i got my 2 at $49.87 /ea.
same here in NH price went up along with just about everything else in the store

JIMMY
post #100 of 154 Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 PM

I got my first one with the coupon for $9.87; I wanted to have it up and running before I had surgery last week. Glad I did, too, because, after watching TV for a solid week, I LOVE IT! In fact, I liked the first one so well, I went back and bought another one. So I've used my coupons, and I'm not sorry I bought these, not at all.

I like the EPG and signal meter a lot; the signal meter was a BIG help when I was up in the attic aiming the antenna. (One box is on my garage TV; all I had to do was peek down the ladder and "voila," easy aiming!)

The only minuses, as have been mentioned, are the remote and the number of steps it takes to change the screen from zoom to letterbox to fullscreen. Other than those minor annoyances, it's a great box.
post #101 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM

None of the box availible thu the coupon have a QAM to my understanding.

And my cable company wants me to spend 6.00 a month extra to up rent a box. I am just about the try this manavox and hope it works I can't see spending and extra 6.00 a month to me that is a waste of money.

The first time I call the cable company I was told I could use these boxes for converting the channels. The second time I called I was told I had to rent. Hope not because I'm not renting a box for what I get on my tv. She was like but with this rental we can fix your tv problems without having to come out. Excuse me in over 10 years I've only had maybe 1 or 2 problems with my cable anyways if that. Why spend the extra 6.00 a month.

The only reason why most of us in this area even have cable to begin with is because the tv signals suck in this area to begin with its cable or nothing for most of us or extreamly poor picture with lots of snow and fading in and out without cable. And my cable I have is very very basic cable.
post #102 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 02:59 PM

To let you know what a problem this is in our area I have contacted 3 walmarts and everyone I talked to is having the same problem as I am don't know what is going to happen to us who don't use the box with cable provided by the cable company. (those of us who only have basic cable running thu our vcr's)

We are all at a loss as to what to do and don't want to shell out another 6.00 a month.
post #103 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Starlady,

These converter boxes work with antennas to receive digital broadcast stations. They do not work with cable services.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #104 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post

None of the box availible thu the coupon have a QAM to my understanding.

And my cable company wants me to spend 6.00 a month extra to up rent a box. I am just about the try this manavox and hope it works I can't see spending and extra 6.00 a month to me that is a waste of money.

The first time I call the cable company I was told I could use these boxes for converting the channels. The second time I called I was told I had to rent. Hope not because I'm not renting a box for what I get on my tv. She was like but with this rental we can fix your tv problems without having to come out. Excuse me in over 10 years I've only had maybe 1 or 2 problems with my cable anyways if that. Why spend the extra 6.00 a month.

The only reason why most of us in this area even have cable to begin with is because the tv signals suck in this area to begin with its cable or nothing for most of us or extreamly poor picture with lots of snow and fading in and out without cable. And my cable I have is very very basic cable.

I'm a little confused on what you want to do.

You said you are a Basic cable subscriber, in which case any old TV should
continue to receive those analog channels.....on MOST cable systems.

What is the extra $6 for??? Is your cable system going ALL DIGITAL, including
Basic cable channels and hence there is an extra charge for multiple cable boxes???
PS: Where are you (zipcode) and which cable system???

The converter boxes discussed in this thread connect to an on-air antenna,
converting the new digital TV signals so they can be watched on old TVs.
Is that what you want to do instead of paying for Basic cable?
post #105 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post

None of the box availible thru the coupon have a QAM to my understanding.

The Feb. '09 analog shutoff mandate only applies to full power over the air signals.

You should be able to continue using your VCR or TV's analog tuner to receive the basic local channels. I don't know why they told you you needed their tuner. Maybe they figured you were confused and were trying to take advantage of you. Or they misunderstood and thought that you really wanted the digital channels.

If you do eventually need a QAM tuner, you could either buy the Samsung DTB-H260F QAM/ATSC tuner, or one of the more inexpensive DVD recorders with a QAM tuner. It'll cost you considerably more than the $20.00 or so you'd shell out for one of these OTA-only boxes (which are of no use to you anyway with cable), but it should more than pay for itself eventually. And with a DVD recorder, you'll be replacing your VCR for better and more convienient recording quality (DVD recorders also have analog tuners in them, so you could still use that if you decided to get one now, although you'll probably prefer watching the digital versions from the QAM tuner).
post #106 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I don't know why they told you you needed their tuner. Maybe they figured you were confused and were trying to take advantage of you. Or they misunderstood and thought that you really wanted the digital channels.

Some cable providers are cutting off analog delivery then.  Comcast will be doing that, so they tell me, in Chicago Area 2, and if I want to continue receiving their unencrypted stations, a QAM tuner will be necessary.  They'll happily provide STBs to customers for that purpose at a monthly rental fee.
post #107 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You mean they're not even giving you the first box free like a lot of other areas are? That really sucks.
post #108 of 154 Old 04-11-2008, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

You mean they're not even giving you the first box free like a lot of other areas are? That really sucks.

Perhaps they do if you have no boxes otherwise, but I have a DVR from them on one outlet (no decoders on any others, just Comcast coax into the RF jacks on the TVs), so that may count as my first box, so the reps may have found no reason to tell me that other customers might get one box free.

My solution's been to buy low-end televisions with ATSC tuners for the rooms with poor OTA reception and to use their QAM tuners, and to get CECBs for the analog sets in rooms where the OTA reception is good.
post #109 of 154 Old 04-13-2008, 05:07 PM

hey.
got 2 yesterday and read most posts here about it and agree.

the question I have is.......( to see if they are defective or not )

if anyone has used this in NYC, what channels are you getting?
I only get 2 with a decent signal.

5.1= fox
5.2= My 9

no others come in at all and wondering if other stations here are yet broadcasting in DT here?
I think I read that NBC / ABC / CBS were but my box only gets two.

It will go back and sucks that I will lose my coupons to wally world
cause thats the only type box I have seen there.

thnx.
post #110 of 154 Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

There are tons of digital stations in NYC.
Enter your location into www.tvfool.com and/or www.antennaweb.org to see a list.

You may need to move antenna around, preferably close to an exterior window.
post #111 of 154 Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Enter your location into www.tvfool.com and/or www.antennaweb.org to see a list.

wow thnx.
I figured theres lots of them here but I guess digital is way more fragile a signal to get than analog is cause all the analogs come in way clear with the same antenna.
it shows a 34 on the signal meter so I guess it needs more than huh?

I was just skeptical cause I read here all these people getting all these channels from a distance and here I am in the USAs largest city with tons of channels-----and all I get are a lousy two of them!
post #112 of 154 Old 04-13-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Microtune found manufacturing and/or design defects, esp. in one of the converter boxes:
http://www.microtune.com/news/2008Articles/MTLetter.pdf
The manufacturer was Japanese (subtle hint: Magnavox is made by Funai of Japan).

Strong stations would prevent reception of weaker stations.
post #113 of 154 Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 PM

thats not good to read that.
i think i totally blew my coupons on this box.

if i return it to wally world-- I prob will only get the tax I paid back
and lose the coupons since there is no exchange since its the only one
there to buy

another question....

I think i know the answer to it having had a cell phone since the analoge days but........

will the digital signal not make it out to the "fringe" areas like the analoge does?
I have a summer place with a big rooftop antenna that gets analoge snowy pics ( I need satellite--- ya I know).....and Im betting based on cell phone past --- analoge vs digital--- that I wont be able to recieve these digital signals up there in the country place once feb 2009 arrives

Hell-- i cant even get dig. signals right here now in NYC ex. for 2 dam stations...
post #114 of 154 Old 04-13-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Even used a rooftop off a neigbors jsut now and same thing.

2 channels only.

I am like 2 miles from the transmitters here in NYC and this box only
can get 2 channels?

Must be the box.
post #115 of 154 Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo99 View Post

Even used a rooftop off a neigbors jsut now and same thing.

2 channels only.

I am like 2 miles from the transmitters here in NYC and this box only
can get 2 channels?

Must be the box.

Suggestion: Tune your TV to one of the following analog channels: 25, 31, 41, 47. Start with 41. Move the antenna about to get the best possible picture. Then, leaving the antenna in place, hook it up to the Magnavox box and let us know if you get more digital channels now.
post #116 of 154 Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All Magnavox STBs have been pulled from our local Wal-Mart shelves and they are now only selling the RCA. Salesperson knew nothing (of course). BTW, I am about an hour from WM's world headquarters.
post #117 of 154 Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-avs View Post

Suggestion: Tune your TV to one of the following analog channels: 25, 31, 41, 47. Start with 41. Move the antenna about to get the best possible picture. Then, leaving the antenna in place, hook it up to the Magnavox box and let us know if you get more digital channels now.

I notice you say to use all UHF channels-- that may be the problem.
the antenna we used-- indoor and outdoor have really no UHF loop for those channels so wondering maybe thats why??

Anyways-- according to the next post-- these are being taken off the shelves at Wally World....
but today they were stocking more and more of them in the store I went to in Long Island
post #118 of 154 Old 04-15-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

In our area, very close to walmart headquaters, the maggotboxes have been removed from store shelves. The only box available at wm here is the RCA.

Get the Zenith at radio shack, best buy (insignia brand - same as zenith) or circuitcity. The maggotbox doesn't work well where there are lots and lots of channels OTA.
post #119 of 154 Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo99 View Post

I notice you say to use all UHF channels-- that may be the problem.
the antenna we used-- indoor and outdoor have really no UHF loop for those channels so wondering maybe thats why??

Yep, that’s likely the problem. If your slightly handy you can make a uhf antenna substitute. You only need about 6-7 inches of unshielded wire. If you have an extra piece of coax lying around you could strip the final 6-7 inches from it and try that. If de-sheathing that much coax is too much a PITA, you could solder or alligator-clip-attach a short piece of wire to the center conductor of the coax for your antenna. There is no need to strip the insulation from the wire. This certainly wouldn’t do much for most folks, but you are so close to the transmitters I expect it will work well for you.

Currently all the NY digital signals are in the UHF band. However next February three of the main channels return to the VHF-HI band: WNET returns to RF 13, WPIX to RF 11 and WABC to RF 7. I imagine there will be an uptick in activity in the NYC OTA reception forum then that you could find useful. The consensus today is that the Silver Sensor is the best indoor UHF antenna. Some claim it also receives the upper VHF band well enough, but I couldn’t vouch for that. It’s also about $30 to get your $15 box a signal. So, I suggest you try the wire as I think it will work for you.
post #120 of 154 Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-avs View Post

Yep, that's likely the problem. If your slightly handy you can make a uhf antenna substitute. You only need about 6-7 inches of unshielded wire. If you have an extra piece of coax lying around you could strip the final 6-7 inches from it and try that. If de-sheathing that much coax is too much a PITA, you could solder or alligator-clip-attach a short piece of wire to the center conductor of the coax for your antenna. There is no need to strip the insulation from the wire. This certainly wouldn't do much for most folks, but you are so close to the transmitters I expect it will work well for you.

Currently all the NY digital signals are in the UHF band. However next February three of the main channels return to the VHF-HI band: WNET returns to RF 13, WPIX to RF 11 and WABC to RF 7. I imagine there will be an uptick in activity in the NYC OTA reception forum then that you could find useful. The consensus today is that the Silver Sensor is the best indoor UHF antenna. Some claim it also receives the upper VHF band well enough, but I couldn't vouch for that. It's also about $30 to get your $15 box a signal. So, I suggest you try the wire as I think it will work for you.

hey there Steve avs
thank you for reply.
i had no clue these stations were in UHF band. Just figured they were VHF but this is why I turn to this board-- for help

I will go out today and get a UHF specific antenna like the one you suggested and try it out.
Hopefully things will work.

So also can you answer this:
Our country place is 55 miles away from NYC stations and getting the old analogue ones--- some very snowy -- with a huge roof antenna.

When this change is in effect next year-- do you think it will be way harder to get digital up at that place being that I assume digital doesnt travel as far as analogue from maps I have seen?

thank you for help ! boo.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page