Magnavox TB100MW9 - Initial Impressions - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 165 Old 04-16-2008, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo99 View Post

I will go out today and get a UHF specific antenna like the one you suggested and try it out.
Hopefully things will work.

I’m looking forward to reading how it works out.

Quote:

So also can you answer this:
Our country place is 55 miles away from NYC stations and getting the old analogue ones--- some very snowy -- with a huge roof antenna.

When this change is in effect next year-- do you think it will be way harder to get digital up at that place being that I assume digital doesnt travel as far as analogue from maps I have seen?

If some of those are UHF channels then yes, there is a good chance you’ll receive the strongest channels by just plugging in your box. The transition was designed to duplicate the coverage of the analog system, so you can expect all of the channels to provide enough power to reach their viewers next February. If you find your location at 55 miles troublesome there are steps you can take to increase the gain, but take it one step at a time and see how your current antenna works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 165 Old 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-avs View Post

I'm looking forward to reading how it works out.

If some of those are UHF channels then yes, there is a good chance you'll receive the strongest channels by just plugging in your box. The transition was designed to duplicate the coverage of the analog system, so you can expect all of the channels to provide enough power to reach their viewers next February. If you find your location at 55 miles troublesome there are steps you can take to increase the gain, but take it one step at a time and see how your current antenna works out.

hello and appreciate the help!

havent gotten the indoor one as of yet and I may just get the rooftop one I saw online-- a big channel master 8 bay cause I will more likely need it when I go up to the country place for summer so might as well buy it now and see and keep it in attic.
I may also just get an indoor one from B Buy -- try it out-- then return cause im VERY curious how this box will work if at all with that.

thank you again.
post #123 of 165 Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 PM

I got 2 TB100MW9 STBs for my mom who uses an antenna. I hooked the coax from the antenna to the STB, the the provided jumper from the STB to the TV. Powered up, went through the set up and channel finding, no problems. Good picture, good sound, works great.

Except, when I turn the box off NOTHING passes through from the antenna to the TV. A VCR will allow an analog signal to just pass through when it's off, but the STB does not seem to. This is only a problem for my mom because she watches 2 Canadian TV stations, which have not yet converted to digital. For that matter I don't know if they are going to.

So my dumb question is: Other that using a switch box or other mess, is it possible to have the STB allow an analog signal to pass through?

post #124 of 165 Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 56
MJBlake: the TB100MW9, like most of the early boxes, does not support analog passthrough.  The successor model (TB100MG9) has that feature.  From what I understand analog passthrough on the MG9 works better with the box turned on and passthrough selected than with the box off.
post #125 of 165 Old 05-12-2008, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

MJBlake: the TB100MW9, like most of the early boxes, does not support analog passthrough. The successor model (TB100MG9) has that feature. From what I understand analog passthrough on the MG9 works better with the box turned on and passthrough selected than with the box off.

There is NO passthru with box OFF

With BOX on and NO RF selected the signal is degraded so most stations can not be watched.

Only way is to select RF out
post #126 of 165 Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Hi.
tryed numerous antennas (outdoor and indoor) and still cant get anything but Fox and My9 here in NYC.
I guess back to Direc TV.

Went up to the country place that has a huge antenna we put in for analoge tv years back and it has UHF/VHF elements and it only got 3 channels-- that were all PBS. No network at all.

Guess back to Direc TV there as well.

Its very apparent now that Dig signals cant travel as far as the analog ones.
Sad cause in the rural areas-- I dealt with the snowy picture just fine!
post #127 of 165 Old 05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo99 View Post

Hi.
tryed numerous antennas (outdoor and indoor) and still cant get anything but Fox and My9 here in NYC.
I guess back to Direc TV.

Went up to the country place that has a huge antenna we put in for analoge tv years back and it has UHF/VHF elements and it only got 3 channels-- that were all PBS. No network at all.

Guess back to Direc TV there as well.

Its very apparent now that Dig signals cant travel as far as the analog ones.
Sad cause in the rural areas-- I dealt with the snowy picture just fine!

Issue is what will be after the transition. Digital travels as far for the same frequency and power.

Right now VHF HI analog stations might temporary on UHF and will move back to VHF. UHF doesn't travel as far for the same power, also the antenna for the transmitter may be less then optimal now. Stations may switch back to VHF and higher power and better antenna after the transition all of which mean better coverage.

See what your stations will be after the transition compared to current digital. If they will be changing channels or power or antenna it all could be very different.
post #128 of 165 Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM

It's been 3 months since the complaint was filed. Since then, the following boxes have been removed from the NTIA certified list: The MaxMedia MMDTVB03, EchoStar TR-40, (which has been replaced by the DTVPal) and the DigitalStream D2A1D10 and D2A1D20.

Either the complaint was bogus, or perhaps one of these boxes was the culprit (though not the TR-40, as it uses an M-T chip). There's no way to tell.
post #129 of 165 Old 06-27-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Not removed, acug, the NTIA has split the list between available and unavailable. The boxes you name are still on the approved list, just not available and a certified retailer can't redeem the coupon for them until they are back on the available list.
post #130 of 165 Old 06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 184
If you carefully reread Microtune's letter, you'll see that they met with a
Converter Box manufacturer in JAPAN.
[Hint....Magnavox & Philco are made by Funai...which is located in Japan.]
http://www.microtune.com/news/2008Articles/MTLetter.pdf
Also note that prior to Mar 2008 letter, they tested COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE
boxes....a fairly short list....and did not include the boxes listed above....
post #131 of 165 Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Five months and mine is still working quite well. Still haven't solved the remote problem, though.
post #132 of 165 Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissIrisMG View Post

Five months and mine is still working quite well. Still haven't solved the remote problem, though.

I don't have a Magnavox CECB. But my Philips PMDVD6 six device "learning" remote is able to learn control signals from original product remotes. This Philips learning remote was less than $10. The drawback is that many of the 51 buttons are small. My Philips PM435S is the same overall size with 45 buttons, most of which are much larger. This remote was less than $7, but it doesn't have any "learning" feature. This is the main remote I use with my RCA TV and Zenith DTT901 but I manually select the subchannels as there is no "." or "-" on the remote. I taught the Philips "learning" remote the Zenith "-" command but this remote is most often used in a room without a converter box.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #133 of 165 Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 AM

[quote=beachbum_50;13331109]I had one of these for a month before I returned it to Walmart.

No RF pass through on this model.

The Zenith DTT900 sold by Radioshack its RF pass through capable.
I get one and test yesterday
post #134 of 165 Old 08-17-2008, 07:09 AM

The Zenith DTT900 sold by Radio Shack is RF pass through capable
post #135 of 165 Old 08-17-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy72 View Post

The Zenith DTT900 sold by Radio Shack is RF pass through capable

The Zenith DTT901 model has analog RF pass through. This model was first produced in April 2008.

The Zenith DTT900 model does not have analog RF pass through. The DTT900 was produced beginning in November 2007 and was discontinued during April 2008 production when the DTT901 model was placed into production.

I have and use both Zenith models.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #136 of 165 Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 AM

Just a report - my Magnavox unit is still going strong, have no need for this "pass-through" feature everybody finds so important, still no cheap work around for the universal remote problem. Never did use government coupon I finally got - full price didn't kill me. May check out Insignia model, just to see if there is any difference in number of channels picked up. Oh, and still using $10 rabbit ears for free OTA reception!
post #137 of 165 Old 08-17-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

May check out Insignia model, just to see if there is any difference in number of channels picked up.

Be sure that the Insignia is of April 2008 or newer production (see the bar code sticker on one end of the cardboard box).

The Insignia should respond to LG or Zenith remote activation codes listed under SAT/CABLE/WEBTV or similar device listings with many remotes.

With my Philips remotes the Zenith/Insignia activation code is 0267.

post #138 of 165 Old 08-19-2008, 04:15 PM

That is true. Sorry I made a mistake the model is DTT 901
post #139 of 165 Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just a report - my Magnavox unit is still going strong, have no need for this "pass-through" feature everybody finds so important, still no cheap work around for the universal remote problem. Never did use government coupon I finally got - full price didn't kill me. May check out Insignia model, just to see if there is any difference in number of channels picked up. Oh, and still using $10 rabbit ears for free OTA reception!

My Magnavox that I picked up in March without pass through is also working fine too. Never had any hassles with it like I did with swapouts 3 times with my Zenith DTT-900. Not a bad unit for $10.00 with the coupon.

Mad Scientist :)
post #140 of 165 Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 AM

I bought my first box, the Magnavox for full price last March. I did not like the remote. I sold it to the beauty shop so she could watch "March Madness" She likes it. Since then she bought a Digital Stream for her house. She still likes Maggie the best.

Bob 61231
post #141 of 165 Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM

I bought two of the Magnavox TB100MW9 Digital to Analog converters. I live in Sturgeon Bay, WI and my stations are in Green Bay, WI roughly 40 miles away.

Both worked, but one of them only got two out of the five we normally got on analog. I'm in the process of returning the one with low sensitivity.
post #142 of 165 Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just picked up my Magnavox TB100MW9 today at Walmart. So far so good. I have cable, but I wanted a converter box just in case. I like the strength meter which I can use to position my antenna. For $10 you can't go wrong.
post #143 of 165 Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

Just picked up my Magnavox TB100MW9 today at Walmart. So far so good. I have cable, but I wanted a converter box just in case. I like the strength meter which I can use to position my antenna. For $10 you can't go wrong.

How many stations are you pulling in? Are you capturing all of your local OTA channels?
post #144 of 165 Old 12-14-2008, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

How many stations are you pulling in? Are you capturing all of your local OTA channels?

Yes I can pull in all the major networks, I'm 25 miles from the ESB on Long Island. I was very pleased with the performance.
The only quirk I don't like is that the program guide only displays info on the current channel you are watching. You can't see what is going to be on the other channels unless you switch to them. But thats ok.
post #145 of 165 Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM

Did anyone ever obtain the remote code for this model? I have a Samsung DVD-VR375 and want to utilize the STB control feature, but the codes in the manual will not work with the magnavox TB100MW9. Any ideas?
post #146 of 165 Old 02-22-2009, 04:06 PM

Liked: 38
On YouTube, somebody is making a claim that these CECB's have cameras in them to spy on people. Specifically, he opened up a Magnavox. So for everybody in this thread, watch out what you are doing in front of your TV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ4iI...eature=related
post #147 of 165 Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackyPacks View Post

. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ4iI...eature=related

Nah, according to my know it all geek neighbor, the spy cam is in the remote.
post #148 of 165 Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM

that video was proven to be a hoax. He soldered it.
post #149 of 165 Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Can anyone help me set this thing up? I have it hooked up with a coaxial cable from the box to the wall jack and have the red, yellow, white cables hooked up from the box to the TV. I'm not getting any channels with the box.

I accidentally switched to RF Through or whatever to see if that would work and now the setup menus don't appear. I tried reseting it by leaving it unplugged for an hour but that didn't work. I also tried pressing and holding setup on the remote for 3-5 seconds like the manual says and that doesn't work either.

Using an RCA Color Trak F20640BC Model TV manufactured in 1998. Do I need an antenna? I live in an apartment and I'm not sure if the wall jack goes to an antenna.

I'd just piss around with it but like I said I can't get the menu to show up any more after I switched to RF Through.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
post #150 of 165 Old 04-23-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiunaiki View Post

Can anyone help me set this thing up? I have it hooked up with a coaxial cable from the box to the wall jack and have the red, yellow, white cables hooked up from the box to the TV. I'm not getting any channels with the box.

I accidentally switched to RF Through or whatever to see if that would work and now the setup menus don't appear. I tried reseting it by leaving it unplugged for an hour but that didn't work. I also tried pressing and holding setup on the remote for 3-5 seconds like the manual says and that doesn't work either.

Using an RCA Color Trak F20640BC Model TV manufactured in 1998. Do I need an antenna? I live in an apartment and I'm not sure if the wall jack goes to an antenna.

I'd just piss around with it but like I said I can't get the menu to show up any more after I switched to RF Through.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Hook a coaxial cable from the other coaxial jack on your converter to the antenna in (coaxial connector) on your TV. Temporarily reuse the one you have running to the wall, if you don't have a second cable.

Turn your TV to air channel 3, and see if the menus are visible (might need to try ch 4, instead).

If so, switch the converter back to A/V outputs. Then, switch the TV back to A/V input.

It's quite possible that your apartment wall jack does not go to an antenna or antenna distribution system. It may just go to a box where the cable company can connect/disconnect cable service for your apartment.

One trick is to replace the coax in to the box with a makeshift simple antenna, made by unfolding a bare wire paper clip into an "L" shape. Stick the short end of the "L" into the in from antenna jack on the converter.

Do a channel scan. Did it pick up any channels? This simple antenna won't cut it if you are in a valley or far from the TV station transmitters, but it's cheap and easy enough to try the experiment.

If it does get a station - at least part of a frozen picture, or whatever - try the wall jack again, leaving the converter tuned as is. Do you get the station now? If not, the wall jack probably isn't going to be useful.
You'll need to get a decent antenna.

In an apartment building, OTA DTV reception with an indoor antenna may be less than perfect. If the paper clip antenna doesn't get anything, a simple rabbit ears/ loop antenna probably won't do much better.

There are good writeups on indoor antennas elsewhere on AVSforum. Search for those and read them before you buy. (I suggest avoiding amplified indoor antennas).

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)