Magnavox TB100MW9 - Initial Impressions - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 154 Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try connecting the box using the RF cable to the TV. Put the TV on channel 3 or 4 and see if the menu comes up.

And yes, you'll need an antenna if the wall connector doesn't go to an outdoor antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 154 Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try connecting the box using the RF cable to the TV. Put the TV on channel 3 or 4 and see if the menu comes up.

And yes, you'll need an antenna if the wall connector doesn't go to an outdoor antenna.
post #153 of 154 Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 AM

I purchased 2 of these units from Walmart. both of them died after about 2 years
post #154 of 154 Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM

For those of you who are wondering, I still have my Magnavox Converter box. It still runs great. Now all I need is an Antenna that will pick up all the stations as I am on a amplified rabbit ears antenna.
post #155 of 154 Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post

Here's a quick review of the new digital-to-analog converter box, Magnavox TB100MW9. ............... Positives for the TB100MW9 so far:

Can skip auto scan...Can manually enter true RF channel number. It then brings up a small screen indicating "SCANNING." If it locates a station, it brings it up. If it doesn't find it initially, it will allow you sit on the channel and then when the channel is found it will lock it in and bring it up on the screen.

It has a signal meter, via the "DISPLAY" button or through the menu button. The one through the menu gives a full graph giving a visual, plus it gives a "NOW" signal reading plus a constant "PEAK"

reading, indicating the highest signal registered. So far, the signal strength screen does not seem to time out. AND it stays up even while changing from channel to channel.

It automatically remaps the channel from the true RF channel to its virtual channel number. The "DISPLAY" button also indicates the call letters of the station.

Has 3 Display Modes: Letterbox, Zoom and Full
Has Auto Power Down feature with 4 settings:
Off, 4 hours, 2 hours and 1 hour.
Seems to be very user friendly.

Negatives with the TB100MW9 so far: Is slower than the ATSC11 at initially locating and decoding a new station. But once it is locked, no doubt that it is better at holding and retaining the station over the RCA.

It is very small in size and very lightweight. It has an RF in and an RF out. It also has composite outputs for video, and left/right audio outputs. Initially I'd say this is a keeper, especially for the price. I would like to know if this unit DOES contain the 6th generation chip. More later. Have to head to work. Steve
In retrospect, of those of you who have used the Magnavox TB100MW9 - which apparently remains for sale in some retail stores - what is your opinion of it? Has it been reliable or do they die prematurely? Reception and performance pluses and minuses?

P.S. This would include its brandmate cousins - the Magnavox TB100MG9, the Philco TB100HH9, Sylvania, etc.
post #156 of 154 Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a quick review of the new digital-to-analog converter box, Magnavox TB100MW9. I found it at one Wal-Mart location in the Indy area for $49.87. As a DTV DXer, I was very curious how it would locate and
decode very weak digital signals. This is the initial review I just shared with a DXers' group. BTW, up to now, I, along with a few other DXers, have found the RCA ATSC11 (from 2003) to be one of the better units for receiving weak and distant DTV signals.........Steve
I just acquired one of these Magnavox boxes for $10 including the matching remote. I'm going to be testing it out shortly. Have those of you who have used this box over the years any opinions to offer as to its performance and how to address technical glitches that may arise?
post #157 of 154 Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richllewis View Post

For those of you who are wondering, I still have my Magnavox Converter box. It still runs great. Now all I need is an Antenna that will pick up all the stations as I am on a amplified rabbit ears antenna.
Is an outdoor antenna feasible for you? If outdoor placement is restricted either by HOA rules (or in some condos, a simple lack of "limited common area" assigned to your unit for placement of an aerial pursuant to FCC OTARD rules), have you tried using a high-performance outdoor antenna indoors? I have had good results using a Channel Master 4221 placed indoors. YMMV.
post #158 of 154 Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

I just acquired one of these Magnavox boxes for $10 including the matching remote. I'm going to be testing it out shortly. Have those of you who have used this box over the years any opinions to offer as to its performance and how to address technical glitches that may arise?

I've had one of these since they first came out 5.5 years ago. I haven't used it continuously, so I can't report on its long-term longevity. I tend to use it as a "baseline" for testing purposes. I found the tuner very good at locking onto and keeping even weak signals, so if I'm having trouble with reception on one of my other boxes, I fire up the Magnavox, and if it's having trouble too, I know the problem is atmospheric. Or if I'm tinkering with antenna setup and the Magnavox is having trouble pulling in the weaker channels, that setup isn't going to work.

Here are my two original posts about it; they still sum up my assessment of this box:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/986114/magnavox-tb100mw9-initial-impressions/60#post_13437429

http://www.avsforum.com/t/986114/magnavox-tb100mw9-initial-impressions/60#post_13458445

My two main "complaints" - neither of them deal-breakers - continue to be:

1. Somewhat soft picture quality. Not terrible, not a deal-breaker. But I like the crisper, sharper PQ I get from the Zenith DTT-901 and Channel Master units.

2. Laborious method of changing the aspect ratio. Around here a lot of the .2 and .3 streams are still 4:3. The Zenith lets you select a permanent aspect ratio for each stream. So, for instance, I can leave 8.2 (METV) permanently on 4:3, while 8.1 (CBS) stays on anamorphic 16:9 (still comes from the box as 4:3 but then gets horizontally stretched by the TV), etc. The sometimes-reviled Dish DTVPal has a top-level button on the remote that lets you change ratio - not as good as the Zenith but still less work than drilling thru menus on the Mag. Again, something I can live with, but I probably won't pull the Mag back into service until the other units conk out.

If you read back through the posts in this thread, you'll see some discussion about the unit running kind of hot. Makes sense given that it does not use an outboard "wall wart" for power conversion and has no ventilation holes in the cabinet. You may want to consider drilling some vent holes in the top - assuming you are somewhat handy and think you can get the top off without damaging the internals. I would definitely do that to mine if I were using it on a daily basis.

Otherwise, the Magnavox is still a solid example of what the CECB was supposed to do: help people keep using their old analog TVs and not have to immediately buy a new TV when the Digital Transition occurred. Like many folks, I did that for a few years, then got a new LCD flat screen when prices came down. Now, I use my CECBs strictly to feed hard-drive based DVD recorders that lack digital tuners but can serve as "frugal man's DVRs" when paired with a CECB. The "converter boxes" still have a niche use for that, and for folks who have tough old CRT TVs, maybe in a secondary application like a garage or workshop, that just won't die.

~doswonk
post #159 of 154 Old 08-17-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

The Zenith lets you select a permanent aspect ratio for each stream.

If you read back through the posts in this thread, you'll see some discussion about the unit running kind of hot. Makes sense given that it does not use an outboard "wall wart" for power conversion and has no ventilation holes in the cabinet. You may want to consider drilling some vent holes in the top - assuming you are somewhat handy and think you can get the top off without damaging the internals. I would definitely do that to mine if I were using it on a daily basis.

I had forgotten about the aspect ratio feature. I stumbled across that feature on my Artecs which appear to be Zenith clones.

It's been awhile but I thought I had read that some posters were drilling vent holes in their Zenith/Insignias which also have built-in power supplies (seatacboy acquired some of those too).

post #160 of 154 Old 02-13-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a quick review of the new digital-to-analog converter box,Magnavox TB100MW9. I found it at one Wal-Mart location in the Indy area for $49.87. As a DTV DXer, I was very curious how it would locate and decode very weak digital signals. This is the initial review I just shared with a DXers' group. BTW, up to now, I, along with a few other DXers, have found the RCA ATSC11 (from 2003) to be one of the better units for receiving weak and distant DTV signals....Steve

I recently tested five of these old CECBs at my house using a roof-mounted Channel Master 4228. Something I learned about humble Magnavox TB-100MW - actually received a stable picture on an ultra-low-power high-VHF station that no other tuner has received at my home! On the other stations (RF being UHF), the Magnavox did not stand out in terms of reception. I guess the Magnavox CECB is "tweaked" in favor of receiving high-VHF stations.

What's really weird about the Magnavox TB-100MW was that the indicated signal strength fluctuated between 17% and 43%. On channels on RF UHF with similar low signal strength indications, there were some breakups of picture and sound. Accordingly, I suspect this unit picks up and holds onto high-VHF transmitters than to UHF transmitters.
post #161 of 154 Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

I guess the Magnavox CECB is "tweaked" in favor of receiving high-VHF stations.

That doesn't surprise me as I suspect the ATSC tuners are sub-sectioned into the various sub-bands in some manner, would seem too much bandwidth to do that all in one stroke. Another possibility is its tuner is better at multipath such that it's combining reflected signals nicely.

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page