Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 375 Old 03-24-2008, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

Are there any other tests, photos, or things that people would like to know about the DTX 9900? I'm willing to pop it open as well.

Have you played around with the digital closed captioning? A couple of people have had trouble with it but I think they might have accepted the default digital closed captions, which would be too small, rather than experimenting with user-controlled font styles and sizes and making the captions large sized. (Different font styles will differ in how large they make the captions.)

It would be great if you could take pictures of the default digital closed captions and then contrast that with large size captions (and the analog caption font provided by the box).

In other words, the box probably is designed to pass through the closed caption data (EIA-608) to the analog TV automatically. If you turn on the digital closed captions without changing other settings, you'll see the default for the digital captions issued by the broadcaster (which apparently is very small and poor quality---but I haven't seen any photos of them). What I haven't heard about is whether it's possible to get usable captions by choosing a better font style and large size.

I have a thread set up for evaluating the captioning provided by converter boxes at:

Evaluating Digital-to-Analog Converter Boxes for Users of Captioning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 375 Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

aethyrmaster,
I would like to know the FCC ID of the DTX9900

I would also love to see more photos like the ones BobDiaz did for the Zenith.

Particularly a photo of the Program Guide, I keep hearing it is a 8-hour and would like to see what it looks like compared to the Zenith Now/Next EPG

Also, post some photo's of the Menu Screen's so far I have only seen one from HDTVexpert.

So far the only screen shots that I have seen have been from

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

One thing of note - in the TV controls on the Remote, the TV volume up is on the LEFT, and down is on the RIGHT - kind of backwards.......?

You are talking about the buttons at the top of the remote in the white ellipse that are a Power button, ? button, Vol +, and Vol -

What is the Second button that is shaped like a TV with a arrow out of it for?

Thank You
post #63 of 375 Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know the FCC ID of this box?
I would like to do a search and learn about the other boxes that Digital Stream will be releasing.
post #64 of 375 Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is there a manual (.pdf or .html, nothing fancier if avoidable) on line for the DTX-9900? · I've been unable to locate one and don't want to ask Radio Shack to open a unit. · (Darn thing comes sealed: the Zenith DTT900 doesn't, so I didn't hesitate to ask them to open that and let me see the manual; I bought it anyway but I'll need several converters.)

Thanks.

Also, they did have a floor model out (but nobody knew where its manual was), and I saw the remote. · What's that odd button for that was, IIRC, between TV power and the volume controls? · It had an icon of a rectangle with a V on top, probably representing a television with rabbit ears, but an arrow pointing to the right came from the center and broke through the right side of the rectangle. · What is that for? · (Of course, if there's a way to read the manual, it would answer that.)
post #65 of 375 Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Is there a manual (.pdf or .html, nothing fancier if avoidable) on line for the DTX-9900? · I've been unable to locate one and don't want to ask Radio Shack to open a unit. · (Darn thing comes sealed: the Zenith DTT900 doesn't, so I didn't hesitate to ask them to open that and let me see the manual; I bought it anyway but I'll need several converters.)

Thanks.

Also, they did have a floor model out (but nobody knew where its manual was), and I saw the remote. · What's that odd button for that was, IIRC, between TV power and the volume controls? · It had an icon of a rectangle with a V on top, probably representing a television with rabbit ears, but an arrow pointing to the right came from the center and broke through the right side of the rectangle. · What is that for? · (Of course, if there's a way to read the manual, it would answer that.)

The unit comes with a bilingual install guide of two pages and a 16 "page" multifolded sheet "Owners Manual" in English only. The button with the TV with rabbit ears and the arrow is the "TV Input" button, "Press to select TV input options (TV Antenna, AV 1, Av 2, etc.). Claims to have 150 codes and gives IR code listings for vendor code 1234 and hex codes for all the button. Most complete in that area of the 4 boxes I own (Insignia,Magnavox & RCA)
post #66 of 375 Old 03-27-2008, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0en View Post

The button with the TV with rabbit ears and the arrow is the "TV Input" button, "Press to select TV input options (TV Antenna, AV 1, Av 2, etc.). Claims to have 150 codes and gives IR code listings for vendor code 1234 and hex codes for all the button.

So that key, like the TV power key to its left, controls the television, in case you have an additional source connected to it?

Thank you.
post #67 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0en View Post

The button with the TV with rabbit ears and the arrow is the "TV Input" button, "Press to select TV input options (TV Antenna, AV 1, Av 2, etc)

You have said that functionally it is the #2 box, what didn't you like about it?

Can you post a picture of the EPG?
post #68 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM

[quote=Malouff;13494031]
You have said that functionally it is the #2 box, what didn't you like about it?

I will post a guide pic tonight
post #69 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

according to this chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_CECB_units

The digital stream has Analog pass through. Is this true?

Also Can you manually add Tv staions that the automatic scan missed?
post #70 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

The digital stream has Analog pass through. Is this true?

No. Not the DTX-9900. Read closer.
post #71 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

No. Not the DTX-9900. Read closer.

oh ok So the only digital stream available now and for the coupon is the dtx-9900?

I am so confused with all the models I see.
post #72 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

oh ok So the only digital stream available now and for the coupon is the dtx-9900?

Yes. All the ones in that list will apparently be eligible, but that's the only one out thus far.

You can rescan for new channels without losing the old ones with this model. I saw some screenshots of the menu and guide somewhere (sorry guys, can't remember where), and it appears very similar to the last, HD Digital Stream/Accurian tuner that was out. Same with the features. I have that box, and I really like it, so I'd imagine that if everything else works OK on it, it's very good (some people here are even saying that it's more sensitive than the LG's).

I haven't gotten my coupons yet, but I'm tempted to try one beforehand myself, because of my positive experiences with the older one. I would like pass thru, but I could live without it if I liked the box in every other way.
post #73 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

analog passthrough is important to me since some low power stations will not convert. Seems this box is coming out soon and will have that feature
http://www.microprosesystems.com/dtv.htm

Whomever comes out with analog passthrough before y coupon expires I will buy
post #74 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If passthru is important to you - check out the Philco TB100HH9 http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...?PROD=TB100HH9

Note - the price jumped up $20 since I got mine. OTOH - there are no funky issues with it either, and the analog passthru works when configured / unit is powered on. However, to use this, you would use the RCA outputs to your TV.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #75 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

If passthru is important to you - check out the Philco TB100HH9 http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...?PROD=TB100HH9

Note - the price jumped up $20 since I got mine. OTOH - there are no funky issues with it either, and the analog passthru works when configured / unit is powered on. However, to use this, you would use the RCA outputs to your TV.

I heard that philco must have the settings changed in the menu to have analog. My aunt would have a hard time with that.

I just saw today that microprose will have passthrough. I think I wait for that
I will all them and ask how the passthrough works. If you can just turn off box and have analog that would be great
post #76 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

(also posted in similar form in ATSC converter box comparison thread)

Volume level is higher than zenith as a comparison. Converter box has smaller depth.

The DS box overscans vertically, so it chops off lines at the top and bottom. I especially notice on weather sub-channels with scrolling text.

The tuner sensitivity is excellent, even slightly better than the zenith. I was getting drop-outs on CBS tonight, and there is noticeably more dropouts on the zenith. Just for fun, I watched the video from the DS, and listened to the audio fromt the zenith, and vice-versa, the Zenith drops-out more often (with multi-path interference it cannot overcome).

I recorded the setup (video is sped-up double time[1:00]):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtf9EtNDu6Y

Digital Stream DTX-9900 EPG(0:21):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc3RRT7a-_I

Digital Stream DTX-9900 menus (sorry so fast), and check out the Air/Cable selection(0:25):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABR0GfZqVaE
post #77 of 375 Old 03-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

Looks like someone not only beat me to a pic of the EPG but did it in video as well. Puts my poor 200K jpg to shame!!
I don't see any FCC ID on the box either externally or on the packaging and guide.
post #78 of 375 Old 03-29-2008, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

DrBri99 thank you for taking the time of making and posting those videos.

Like dmulvany from the ATSC converter box comparison thread
Could you take a picture of the Digital Stream chopping off the top and bottom lines,
and possibly another with the Zenith to compare?
Does this chopping happen in all the display modes? You have it set to Letter Box in your videos.

You have also said the tuner sensitivity is slightly better than the Zenith.
HDTVexpert said that it was about 1 dB better than the GE 22730

They also said
One quirk of the DTX9900 is that its channel menu includes a setting for Air or Cable reception. This setting is superfluous, as there are no cable TV systems sending 8VSB signals through their plant (and no, this converter box doesn't receive QAM, either).

w0en I would also like to thank you for taking the time to report on the FCCID and remote.
I would also recommend to post your screenshot for those users with dial-up.
Again why functionally is it the #2 box, or has that changed?

More Questions:
How does the Video Quality Compare to the Zenith?
HDTVexpert said it is quite a bit better then the GE 22730

Does it have a Channel List feature like the Zenith?

Are they any other interesting pictures that you can think off to share with the forum?

You both have this and the Zenith can you do a comparison of the two?
  • DrBri99 said
  • Volume level is higher than zenith as a comparison.
  • Converter box has smaller depth than zenith
  • Tuner sensitivity is slightly better than the zenith
  • w0en said
  • Most complete IR code listings
  • Signal meter stays on screen when you call it from the menu
  • Adding unscanned channels not as easily as with the Insignia/LG
Does the Digital Stream have the Zenith Audio Bug?

Do you know of any other bugs that the Digital Stream has?

Again Thank you both and all contributing early adopter owners.
post #79 of 375 Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:

analog passthrough is important to me since some low power stations will not convert. Seems this box is coming out soon and will have that feature

Whomever comes out with analog passthrough before y coupon expires I will buy

Hey lexus2108 - I emailed Microprose to see if you lose the channels picked during autoscan, if you have to move antenna to pick up more station to be added. Will see what they say. Regards

Dave E
NLRock AR

Whodart NLRock
post #80 of 375 Old 03-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I picked mine up at RadioShack, I kept searching their website, and finally on Friday morning it said one local store had the DS box. Previously all 5 stores in a 20 mile radiusl had the Zenith, but not the Digital Stream.

I'll have to reconfigure my setup to have both boxes available to my video capture device, but I'll try to provide pics in the future.

The Digital Stream overscans the bottom of the picture (bottom cut off). It doesn't matter if you choose 16x9 letterbox or 4x3 full screen. I was switching between analog, zenith, and DS looking specifically at the logo on the PBS station. The logo was slightly lower with the zenith box, and about 1/2 inch lower still with the DS box. Looking at the top of the image, and it appears similar on both boxes.

The DS also has the option of 14x9 display.

The manual is poster sized (so not easily scanable), but if someone wants to see a certain section, let me know.

In the menu under Channel>Autoscan you get two options:
Rescan - deletes previously stored channels
Update - updates channel list with newly found channels

I will try the channel update tonight, there are 2 distant channels I sometimes get if conditions are right, I'm wondering what will happen when I select the true RF number and I get a lock, if it will automatically add the channel or if I need to do rescan.

The video quality is good, I'm using the RCA connector. I tried the RF input, and had some interference (hard to describe).

I cannot detect any audio issues, although it wasn't until someone posted the audio clip from their zenith that I could hear the same defect on mine.

The DS does not have a channel list (like the zenith) appear when typing the channel directly.

You must put the "." or "-" in the channel, with the zenith you could type 62 and 6-2 would come up.

Typing 6 will bring up 6.1 though.

I might have to revise my thoughts on the tuner sensitivity, when I was watching CBS this morning, it was dropping out on both boxes, and the DS momentarily displayed "No Program" while the Zenith display was mildly pixelated. So, it is a toss up, and probably depends on different "Field Ensembles".

Other random observations:
The menus aren't as sharp as the zenith.
The box is plastic, but doesn't seem cheap.
The warranty is 6 months parts and labor.
post #81 of 375 Old 03-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

DrBri99,
Thank you for all of the impressions/recommendations you are giving us.
I also really appreciate all of the time you are taking with the screenshots and videos.

On a side note:
I asked John aka Mosquito from FreeDTVShop.com what was the difference between the Digital Stream DTX9900 and the DSP7500T was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post

Both boxes have a plastic housing.
They are roughly the same size. I would say that the 7500T is a bit "sleeker," but not a huge difference.
I opened up one of each to see what was inside, and they are absolutely identical.
The 7500T had a revision 1.2 circuit board and the 9900 was a revision 1.1.
That was the only difference between them. Same tuners, same mpeg decoders.
The remotes are identical except for color.

I really don't think there's a difference other than aesthetics

post #82 of 375 Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

So has anyone tried to find out yet if a Pioneer cable box code will control this tuner like it did Digital Stream's last, HD ATSC ones?

This info would be very important to know for those with old recorders with IR blasters.

Anyone with a universal remote out there willing to take a few minutes and try?

So far I have been unable to control my new (bought today with coupon) DTX-9900 using any of the Pioneer cable box codes known to my Panasonic DMR-EH55 DVR/DVD recorder.

The user manual with the DTX-9900 documents the remote control IR codes as follows:

Vendor Code: 1234

00FF - Power
08F7 - CH_UP
09F6 - CH_DOWN

and so forth. However, my DVR only accepts manufacturer names when specifiying a cable box for control. Any idea if Vendor Code 1234 is also used by a cable box vendor?
post #83 of 375 Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:

DrBri99
Could you take a picture of the Digital Stream chopping off the top and bottom lines,
and possibly another with the Zenith to compare?
Does this chopping happen in all the display modes? You have it set to Letter Box in your videos.

Long time hawker, now I have a old samsung hdtv directv receiver, that I use for OTA recording.
Yes Digital Stream chops few pixels off the top and a lot more on the bottom.
Hope these unaltered pics will be of help.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #84 of 375 Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for the pictures saywhat.

I think that the weather pictures showed it best and I do have to agree.
Digital Stream chops few pixels off the top and a lot more on the bottom

I did notice however that the weather forcast boxes for each day of the week appear to be the same size.

So does it cut the text off scrolling along the bottom of news alerts then?
post #85 of 375 Old 03-30-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

is the basketball pictures form a video game because they don't look like real people?
post #86 of 375 Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagger666 View Post

is the basketball pictures form a video game because they don't look like real people?

Its because picture is squeezed to record on DVD at anamorphic format (720*480) rather than native 16:9 (854*480). And the weather picture stretched from native 4:3 (640*480) to DVD resolution.
post #87 of 375 Old 03-30-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:

I did notice however that the weather forcast boxes for each day of the week appear to be the same size.

So does it cut the text off scrolling along the bottom of news alerts then?

No there are no news alters, its just the graphics (+ signs on blue background) surrounding the white boxes on the bottom.
post #88 of 375 Old 03-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Attached are some altered screen grabs.

I can only capture 320x240, so the quality isn't great.

I added the red line showing where my tv overscans the image.

If I make an educated guess using the pixels, my TV overscans about 7 percent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan

Even with the zenith box, my TV cuts off text. NBC's weather plus has the text very low in the screen.

I wasn't able to do a screen grab of the Basketball game, but with the DS box (and my TV), it cut off the bottom of the score watching an SD channel. The HD CBS channel had the score higher in the field.

So, it will cut off scrolling text depending upon how low the text is in the field and what percent overscan your TV has. (how is that for a disclaimer?)

I'll try taking a picture of the TV with the digital camera later this week.
LL
LL
post #89 of 375 Old 03-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed the logo from Fox Richmond was cut-off in letterbox, you can see the small red part which says "Richmond" in the anamorphic pic.
LL
LL
post #90 of 375 Old 03-31-2008, 03:49 AM

Wow! My apologies for getting behind the curve! I only just today got an email saying there were new posts in the thread - guess I'll have to rely on me, instead of auto emails :-)

Anyway, what is said is true, it does chop top-bottom pixels - but only on some channels. I noticed that in my area, CBS and NBC are broadcasting VHF digital, and FOX, PBS, and ABC are UHF. If I manually adjust the picture ratio (16:9,14:9,etc), I can get rid of the overscan/line chopping

Except on the VHF channels.

I don't know if it's something in the way they broadcast, or what - but all the other channels let me select, and I can watch the screen change. When I try with those two, however, it flashes the OSD that says it's in 14:9 and doesn't change. I'll try and cap a small vid of this tonight after work.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page