Digital Stream DTX-9900 ATSC D2A Converter Box - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 375 Old 03-31-2008, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey aethyrmaster = you have to visit the thread daily to get auto-email notices of new posts.

Regards

Dave E

Whodart NLRock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 375 Old 03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just got this box tonight after trying a Magnavox and being disappointed with the tuner. This box is MUCH better. The tuner is very good, and the EPG is easy to read. The remote is also much better than the maggotbox.
post #93 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

So does this box also have the Zenith Audio Bug?

Can you adjust the Hue, Brightness, and Contrast with the Digital Stream?

troydog sharred a photo showing that the Artec T3A Pro can.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...Picture027.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #94 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

No audio bug with this box. The sound is superior to the Magnavox, and it has a volume control built in.

Can't adjust picture hue, brightness etc...
post #95 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM

I haven't found any picture adjust controls. jspENC, if you have it on RCA out to your TV, and a stereo TV, turn the box volume all the way up to 20. On a show in DD, see if high-pitched sounds produce a cricket-like "chirp" on the left channel. I don't have the Zenith Warble, but I do have a DTX Chirp.
post #96 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Tonight when the shows come in with DD 5.1 I'll check again just to be sure. I do have the RCA cables hooked up.
post #97 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

aethyrmaster, Can you record a sample of this DTX Chirp?

So does this only happens with the F-Type Connector (RF Output)?
Does it also happen with the Composite Video and Stereo Audio Output?

Is this Chirp only in Stereo and the left channel like the Zenith?

Does this only happen when the volume is all the way up to 20?

Thank You.

|
|

post #98 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malouff View Post

aethyrmaster, Can you record a sample of this DTX Chirp?

I'll try tonight, but it may not happen until the weekend.

Quote:

So does this only happens with the F-Type Connector (RF Output)? Does it also happen with the Composite Video and Stereo Audio Output?

Haven't tried the F connector, only composite.

Quote:

Is this Chirp only in Stereo and the left channel like the Zenith?

Only in left channel, don't remember if I tried mono mode or not.

[/quote]Does this only happen when the volume is all the way up to 20?[/quote]
No, I noticed it from 14 to 20. Below that, I have to turn the TV volume up to levels that I consider "unacceptable" - as in, when I switch to my 360, unless I turn the TV down first, it comes out loud enough that I fear blowing the built in TV speakers.

And it was still there too - but that may be because the TV was amping everything pretty hard. TV is a Sanyo DS27930.
post #99 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcheapo View Post

I also opened up the box (bottom screw and thin blade into side slots. No stickers were harmed) and it does have a different board and layout despite similar components. Mine gives a date code Jan08. What is the header to the rear of the box with vcc gnd and tx and rx? Looks like a USB port. Also wired to empty connector pads on the rear. The resistors and caps are on the board. Would be cool to dump the stream into my computer. Still havent found much on the the LGDT1111D but did see something about it being a 3304 with some more of the external stuff integrated in.

Well, I was going to say that it was definitely USB, but I can't give that assurance now. For USB (standard, GND and VCC+ (which should be 5 volts) are at opposite ends, and TX and RX are the center connectors. They may have re-arranged it though just to be proprietary.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml
http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/...e_pinout.shtml
post #100 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

So that key, like the TV power key to its left, controls the television, in case you have an additional source connected to it?

Thank you.

Yes. There are four buttons in a row which control the TV: Power; Input selection; Vol up; Vol down). The volume rocker lower on the remote controls volume out of the box and I keep that at the highest position.

I received two coupons yesterday and used one to buy the DTX-9900. It's all my local RS had in stock and my goal is electronic experimentation -- a long story (related to travel use).

I have it set up temporarily and connected to a spare input of my HD monitor and the DTX-9900 seems to work fine and give reasonable reception, considering I'm using an (amplified) indoor antenna and 31 miles from the nearest transmitters; a roof antenna would do much better, of course.

It definitely does not have analog pass-thru (not a surprise) and I will get such a box if I can when I use the second coupon (expires on June 19).

Given the price, I didn't expect much and I'm pleasantly surprised with this Digital Stream unit -- features, size and performance.

Phil
post #101 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ox View Post

There are four buttons in a row which control the TV: Power; Input selection; Vol up; Vol down). The volume rocker lower on the remote controls volume out of the box and I keep that at the highest position. ...

It definitely does not have analog pass-thru (not a surprise)

Two sets of volume control buttons?  I hadn't known that before.  The Zenith DTT900 (the only box I have so far) has one, and it controls the box output, not the television.  The only button on it that sends a code to the TV is "TV power."

But if the DS box controls the TV input, then if you can get decent analog reception with an indoor antenna, you can simulate analog pass-through without a splitter: connect the DS decoder to the RCA inputs, connect a second antenna to the TV's RF in for analog signals, and use the box's TV input control (or heck, the TV's own input control) to switch between RCA for digital channels and RF for analog bypass.
post #102 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The remote for this box is universal, in that you can program it to turn the PWR on and off to the TV, switch INPUTS, and control VOL. There are no direct numeric codes in the directions, however, if you just hold down PWR and press the menu UP button until the set turns OFF indicating you have the correct code for your particular set. Nice feature, so no need to juggle two remotes all the time.
post #103 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

The remote for this box is universal, in that you can program it to turn the PWR on and off to the TV, switch INPUTS, and control VOL. There are no codes however, you just hold down PWR and press the menu UP button until the set turns OFF indicating you have the correct code for your particular set. Nice feature, so no need to juggle two remotes all the time.

If we want to nitpick, there are codes. The remote has an internal database of about 150 codes. If none of them work for you, tough - there's no way to get additional codes into the remote. If one does, great!

It works for me with a Sanyo. Only annoyance is that volume UP is on the LEFT and DOWN is on the RIGHT.......
post #104 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier View Post

Two sets of volume control buttons? I hadn't known that before. The Zenith DTT900 (the only box I have so far) has one, and it controls the box output, not the television. The only button on it that sends a code to the TV is "TV power."

But if the DS box controls the TV input, then if you can get decent analog reception with an indoor antenna, you can simulate analog pass-through without a splitter: connect the DS decoder to the RCA inputs, connect a second antenna to the TV's RF in for analog signals, and use the box's TV input control (or heck, the TV's own input control) to switch between RCA for digital channels and RF for analog bypass.

Yes .. it has four controls for TV (it controls my Sony just fine) and there is a separate Vol rocker on the remote which controls the audio output from the box (as well as a mute button). The remote also has a meter button, so you can have a signal strength gauge for adjusting the antenna.

At this point I'm using it with a 7-input HD monitor and a cable box on one of the component inputs and an upconverting DVD player on the DVI/HDMI input -- so I don't need the pass-thru. My long-term use will be for travel and I may want pass-thru on my second converter; so I'll be watching.

Phil (aka w7ox)

p.s. -- accidentally created a second ID on AVS forum a year ago and just recaptured my original one by searching the User list.
post #105 of 375 Old 04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

I haven't found any picture adjust controls. jspENC, if you have it on RCA out to your TV, and a stereo TV, turn the box volume all the way up to 20. On a show in DD, see if high-pitched sounds produce a cricket-like "chirp" on the left channel. I don't have the Zenith Warble, but I do have a DTX Chirp.

I've got the Dig. Stream wide open and I don't hear any chirping. I think it sounds as good as anything I've heard before... Hope this helps.
post #106 of 375 Old 04-04-2008, 05:27 AM

Was it on a show in Dolby Digital? It only occurs on DD broadcasts.
post #107 of 375 Old 04-05-2008, 02:02 PM

I own a Panasonic DMR-EH55 Recorder. It records analog braodcasts to a hard disk (like Tivo but without the monthly fee). It does not have a digital tuner. To keep using DMR-EH55 after the Feb 2009 conversion, I purchased Digitalstream DTX9900 convertor today. My thought is I would convert the digital signal to analog, then feed that signal into the DMR-EH55 for recording. But here's the rub...I get "weak signal" displayed when I hooked up the DTX9900. The antenna signal strenght fed directly to my tv is strong. But when I try it on the DTX9900, it shows weak. Bad box? Bad idea? Any suggestions?
post #108 of 375 Old 04-05-2008, 05:11 PM
jhe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy99 View Post

I own a Panasonic DMR-EH55 Recorder. It records analog braodcasts to a hard disk (like Tivo but without the monthly fee). It does not have a digital tuner. To keep using DMR-EH55 after the Feb 2009 conversion, I purchased Digitalstream DTX9900 convertor today. My thought is I would convert the digital signal to analog, then feed that signal into the DMR-EH55 for recording. But here's the rub...I get "weak signal" displayed when I hooked up the DTX9900. The antenna signal strenght fed directly to my tv is strong. But when I try it on the DTX9900, it shows weak. Bad box? Bad idea? Any suggestions?

Check it and make sure your antenna is feeding the antenna in and not the RF out.
post #109 of 375 Old 04-05-2008, 05:19 PM

For the record, aethyrmaster and spudnk are correct: the DTX9900 definitely has the same audio problem as the Zenith/Insignia boxes. There is a distinct "chirp" in the left channel when the broadcast is in Dolby 5.1.

I bought this box yesterday, and I've been watching it a lot today. I must not have come across any 5.1 broadcasts until I turned on the NCAA on CBS, but when I did, the chirp was obvious. You'd have to have serious high-frequency hearing loss not to hear it. Extremely annoying.
post #110 of 375 Old 04-05-2008, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It must have to do with the networks audio levels, because I am hearing a high pitched sound and what I would call "feedback" after a word is spoken by commentators... Slurs etc. make a high pitch and it is very aggravating. I haven't noticed this until tonights game.
post #111 of 375 Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just bought this box yesterday and I am quite pleased with it. The tuner gets every digital station in my area . It also pulls in a channel 5 -1 vhf low band with no problem.

Thomas DiCecco
post #112 of 375 Old 04-06-2008, 03:35 PM

I am confirming too that the DTX9000 has the bug. I picked up mine today from Radio Shack and sure enough, there it is. And it's really annoying.

You can set "Audio Out" to either Ch3/4 or Line Out in the menu. Changing this doesn't change the noise. I am assuming this changes the audio out from Stereo to Mono... If you plug into the left audio connector, you will hear this noise.

Ch3/4 mode seems to be louder too ... maybe a byproduct of the stereo to mono conversion.

It's pretty crappy that all of these boxes do this too. Just so shoddy.

The rest of the box is cool. The sensitivity is so much better than the built in tuner on my Sony 34XBR960... but the TV is from 2004 so the tuner in it is old.

I am going to use the box at work on a mono TV, so the audio bug is no bit deal to me.

OH, I plugged my cable TV wire (Which has unencrypted QAM on it) into the box, set it to cable and started a scan.

Cable mode scans channels 1 through 125 -- but obviously QAM is disabled because it doesn't find any channels...
post #113 of 375 Old 04-06-2008, 05:44 PM

I made some very High-res pics of the DX9900. Couldn't find a FCC ID anywhere for this box now could I find it by searching the database for TV converters. (I found others like the Zenith/Isignia and a few others.)

Front and back of the PCB, plus one angle shot to see the main chip better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianb...75058/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianb...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianb...n/photostream/
post #114 of 375 Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM

A little info:

SW400 (just below the tuner) is a reset switch.

The little 4-pin header (CN400) is sending out 3.3v on the VCC pin. So that's not USB. (Which is 5v.) The pads close to the back of the board right next to the 4-ping header is actually a replication of the 4-pin header. (It's labeled CN401)

It could be a little 3.5mm plug connector that could go there that would replicate these pins. I can only assume that would be for programming...

I put my old 30mhz o-scope on the TX pin and there was activity. It would do a bunch when you turned it off and on and also when you push buttons. Someone needs to put it onto a protocol analyzer to see what its really doing. It would be interesting if it were a "console" mode of sorts available.
post #115 of 375 Old 04-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianblack View Post

The little 4-pin header (CN400) is sending out 3.3v on the VCC pin. So that's not USB. (Which is 5v.) The pads close to the back of the board right next to the 4-ping header is actually a replication of the 4-pin header. (It's labeled CN401)

Back in the early days of USB, there was what was knows as 'powered' and 'unpowered' ports. Powered ones could supply 5V at 500 mA, and unpowered ones were just 3.3V "standby current" at 100 mA.

Dunno if that means anything for these critters or not.
post #116 of 375 Old 04-06-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianblack View Post

A little info:

SW400 (just below the tuner) is a reset switch.

It could be a little 3.5mm plug connector that could go there that would replicate these pins. I can only assume that would be for programming...

I put my old 30mhz o-scope on the TX pin and there was activity. It would do a bunch when you turned it off and on and also when you push buttons. Someone needs to put it onto a protocol analyzer to see what its really doing. It would be interesting if it were a "console" mode of sorts available.

It would be interesting to interface the the four pin header to a serial com port on a computer. Basic serial communications only uses three lines, RxD, TxD, and GND. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port

Tim
post #117 of 375 Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 PM

If the 4-pin header is really serial, this is probably all that is needed to hook it up to a serial port on a PC:

http://sodoityourself.com/max232-ser...vel-converter/

Something like that....

Here is an interesting read about serial converters on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_...river_Receiver
post #118 of 375 Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

I bought one of these for my mother over the weekend. I hooked it up to two different TV's, two different ways. Her G.E. brand 25" TV only has RF input, so I hooked it up that way. No problem with the "audio bug" that I could hear, and the remote was able to find her TV code with no problem. The picture had a lot of dot crawl, especially on the basketball game. The tuner worked very well, however. One channel, especially, was very impressive because massive multipath makes the analog channel unwatchable. Clear as a bell with the box.....no dropouts, no pixelization. Her other TV, a Magnavox 20", has A/V inputs, so we hooked it up that way. Still no audio problems (switched to A/V mode in the menu, which I guess is "stereo"). I'm sure the audio bug is more prominent if you hook up to an A/V receiver, but I really didn't hear it at all, and I was listening for it, especially on DD5.1 shows. The volume is louder in RF mode, BTW. Much less dot crawl when using the A/V inputs, but that TV probably has a comb filter. HOWEVER, the remote would NOT control this TV (this was a bummer, because the "universal" remote was one of the main reasons for choosing this unit over some others).

General Observations:

I'm impressed with the speed of channel changing - it's faster than my E* DVRs and most TV's with integrated tuners that I'm familiar with - I'd say about a half-second picture-to-picture. For viewing on a small 4:3 TV, I'd say the best aspect choice is the 14:9 - you see the whole picture vertically (very small bars top and bottom) and the sides are cut off some, but it's a good compromise. If you have a large 4:3 TV, "letterbox" would be fine. If you have 16:9 TV, "anamorphic" would be the best choice, using the stretch mode on your TV. Setup is very straightforward, and the channel scan only takes a couple of minutes. It found all of her stations with no problem (antenna in attic with preamp, all stations 20-30 miles away in different directions). Not a bad little box, IMO.

Brad

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!"
- Joe Walsh
post #119 of 375 Old 04-08-2008, 09:04 PM

I tested a Zenith DT900 head-to-head with a Digital Stream DTX9900. I looked at both reception and features.

Set-up and Connections: I've got a CM 3671 VHF/UHF antenna on a rotator feeding a CM 7777 amp. In the house, the signal is split with one coax going to the test location. At the test location, I split the signal again just ahead of the CECB's. I fed the AV output of the CECB's to a single TV displaying PIP. In case there was a difference in the losses at the final splitter and coax section, I also tested reception with each box connected to the other coax.

Reception: My method of evaluation was to look at the state of reception (either too weak to lock/display, displaying broken picture, or displaying full picture with no break-up) for the same channel at the same time. I have 3 stations for which I've been able to rotate the antenna to a direction with marginal reception so that the signal moves in and out of lock. (I could probably remove the amp and do the same for some other stations, though). The stations are at RF 10 (79 miles), 14 (36 miles), and 16 (64 miles). It would be nice to test at some other frequencies. Sometimes I am able to pick up more of the Nashville, TN stations (~70-85 miles) and the Chattanooga stations (~65-70 miles) but since I've had these boxes the atmosphere hasn't been cooperative. My local stations are out of Huntsville, AL (21-23 miles) but I can't get them to go marginal with the amp in place.

When transitioning between signal states, I would estimate that the 2 boxes are in sync at least 90-95% of the time. When not in lock-step, it is usually when transitioning from no picture to a broken picture. Less often there are differences when transitioning to/from a broken picture from/to a good picture or from a broken picture to no picture. Usually when one or the other box transitions quicker it's only by a second or two. Sometimes it's the Zenith. Sometimes it's the DS. I've not seen a case where one box held signal for a significant time while the other had either no signal or a broken signal.

When transitioning from a broken picture to no picture, it's more difficult to evaluate because both boxes will freeze elements of the picture for some time until the signal is either re-gained or completely lost. The DS holds the frozen elements a little longer, which may be less objectionable if you're only suffering a temporary loss on an otherwise good channel.

On average, for my boxes, I would say the Zenith's reception is very slightly better (but insignificantly so). Based on what I saw, I would not make reception a deciding factor between these 2 boxes.

As a side note, I also did a side-by-side of the Zenith against my Sony Projection LCD TV (~1-1/2 years old). The CECB achieved slightly better reception, though fairly insignificant and not what I was hoping for. The Sony does pretty well.
post #120 of 375 Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Features that Zenith has but DS doesn't:

- Mult-channel guide (see display/info/guide/EPG comparison).
- Sleep button on remote (DS has in menu only).
- TV aspect ratio selectable to 4:3 or 16:9 (but does not, by rule, output HD).
- Output selectable stereo/mono.

Features that DS has but Zenith doesn't:

- 45 hour or better EPG (see display/info/guide/EPG comparison).
- TV Input Selection on remote
- TV Vol +/- on remote
- Better Direct RF Tuning: On DS, simply enter . + channel number. Zenith can do direct tuning via the remote control only if a PSIP is not sharing the same channel mapping as the RF channel you want to tune. However, Zenith will allow to direct RF tuning via the menu.
- DS has output channel switch (3/4) on box. Zenith output channel is controlled via menu.
- Input - Air/cable (why?)
- Preferred connection - AV/coax - Not sure what this is for but selecting AV causes the audio level to go very low on both outputs. Coax output appears to be mono. AV output is stereo even if coax is selected as preferred.
- Menu opacity setting.
- Menu timeout setting
- Emergency Alert - Medium/Low (what is this?)
- Factory Reset

Other Functional Differences:

- Signal/Meter - Strength is indicated on 3 zone horizontal bar. Zenith has audible tones (increasing frequency for better signal). DS has numerical indicator.
- Sleep Timer - (DS can be accessed via menu). Zenith cycles 1-2-3-4-Off. DS cycles 15-30-60-120-Off.
- Zoom - For 16:9 programming, both have Letter Box [16:9], Cropped [Zoom], and Squeezed [Anamorphic]. Zenith has Set by Program. DS has 14:9. If Zenith is set for a 16:9 TV, then for 4:3 programming, it cycles Zoom - Set by Program - 16:9 - 4:3.
- Closed Caption - On Zenith, cycles Off-Service1..Service4-CC1..CC4-Text1..Text4-Off and so on. On DS, cycles Off-CC1-CC2-Text1..Text4-CS1..CS6-Off and so on.
- Auto Off [Power Down] - Zenith cycles Off-1-2-3-4. DS cycles 0-1-2-4-8.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page