Program Description

DS Displays:
HDTV Indicator
Stereo Indicator
Second Audio Indicator
Dolby Digital Indicator
Signal Strength Graphic

Comparison of Guide/[EPG] information displayed:

Zenith provides info for current and next program only but for all channels (if recently tuned to capture information). DS displays info for current channel only but includes current program and programs starting up to at least 45 hours out. Fields included for all programs:

Both Display:
Current Time
Current Date
Current Day of Week
Channel and Sub-Channel Number
Program Title
Program Start Time
Program End Time

DS Displays:
Station Call Letters
Program Description (must select detail)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Common remote control buttons (DS name in [] if different from Zenith):

TV Power
Power
Menu
Up/Down/Right/Left
[OK]
Signal [Meter]
SAP [Audio]
Zoom
Display [Info]
Guide [EPG]
CCD [CC]
Fav
Exit [Back]
Mute
Vol +/-
Ch +/-
Recall [Prev]
0-9
- [.]

Both boxes also have following similar menu functions:

- Add/delete channels (affects operation of up/down tuning)
- Add/delete favorite channels (for a short list of channels).
- Time zone
- Menu language
- Audio language [audio preference]
- Ratings (I didn't explore/compare details)
- Closed Captioning settings (I didn't explore/compare details)
- Auto Tuning [Auto Scan]
- EZ Add [Auto Scan Update]
Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Other Notes:
- DS cuts off some of bottom lines when in 14:9 or 16:9 display mode. Does not cut or cut as much in zoom and anamorphic.
- Neither box has pass-through but similar Zenith box is apparently due out with pass-through.
- Apparently both boxes suffer from the audio issue as discussed elsewhere but, to be honest, I haven't been able to detect it on my set.

Sorry if posting too much info. Not trying to re-write the manuals but hope it may be helpful to someone.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

10frog
You can never post too much info!
I find it helpful as do others.

I also want to thank you for your comparisons so we can learn about what feature is most important to us and get the appropriate box.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10frog View Post

As a side note, I also did a side-by-side of the Zenith against my Sony Projection LCD TV ... The Sony does pretty well.

I second Malouff and am encouraged by the Sony results; my only ATSC tuner is a 200 lb CRT, but it does pretty good. Once I get a CECB, we'll see how good!
Frank
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Digital Steam DTX9900 Is this a good BOX in a nut shell? They are coming out with analog passthru April 16th according to FreeDTVshop.com

So I am wondering if everyone is happy with existing box?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

Digital Steam DTX9900 Is this a good BOX in a nut shell? They are coming out with analog passthru April 16th according to FreeDTVshop.com

It's one of the more preferred boxes, yes. However, it still has some sort of "audio bug" for left channel, when displaying a DD 5.1 broadcast in stereo sound output.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyrmaster View Post

It's one of the more preferred boxes, yes. However, it still has some sort of "audio bug" for left channel, when displaying a DD 5.1 broadcast in stereo sound output.

I'm almost thinking now the audio bug may only show up on certain channels. I noticed it on KCBS and KNBC here in Los Angeles. It was so apparently, you would not miss it. But since people are reporting not hearing it on DD5.1, maybe some transmissions don't cause the bug to be heard?

And a note on the "Zoom" modes of this box:

4:3 source video is always displayed in 4:3, no matter what you have zoom set to. Zoom only affects 16:9 content. This is nice -- so if you set 16:9 to zoom, which is especially good for 4:3 content unconverted with bars on the HD signal. It remembers the last zoom setting you were using when going between 16:9 to 4:3 and back to 16:9.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzank View Post

It would be interesting to interface the the four pin header to a serial com port on a computer. Basic serial communications only uses three lines, RxD, TxD, and GND. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port

Tim

My serial converter board has been shipped so I should be able to see what I can read out of the serial port on the DTX9900 soon.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianblack View Post

I'm almost thinking now the audio bug may only show up on certain channels. I noticed it on KCBS and KNBC here in Los Angeles. It was so apparently, you would not miss it. But since people are reporting not hearing it on DD5.1, maybe some transmissions don't cause the bug to be heard?

And a note on the "Zoom" modes of this box:

4:3 source video is always displayed in 4:3, no matter what you have zoom set to. Zoom only affects 16:9 content. This is nice -- so if you set 16:9 to zoom, which is especially good for 4:3 content unconverted with bars on the HD signal. It remembers the last zoom setting you were using when going between 16:9 to 4:3 and back to 16:9.

Perhaps you can correlate it against the "Missing Center Channel" problem.....
Old 04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Perhaps you can correlate it against the "Missing Center Channel" problem.....

need some help here- i picked up a digital stream at the local rat shack but can't get the audio output to work any sugguestions people. thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm trying to figure out why the audio is better when the channel 3/4 selection is made when using the RCA pins? When I select "Line OUt" the sound gets much lower. The directions say to select "Line OUt" when using that connection, but the sound output sucks, so I'm sticking with chan. 3/4 option.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I'm trying to figure out why the audio is better when the channel 3/4 selection is made when using the RCA pins? When I select "Line OUt" the sound gets much lower. The directions say to select "Line OUt" when using that connection, but the sound output sucks, so I'm sticking with chan. 3/4 option.

now we have two questions but no answers.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:59 PM

I picked up a DigitalStream DTX9900 this afternoon after having used first the Insignia and then the Zenith CECBs. I didn't use a coupon to buy it since I wanted to evaluate the closed captioning it provided first.

I find the DS remote control annoyingly difficult to use; holding it down for more than a pretty short time is processed as pushing the button more than one time though the visual response to the button is slow. It's difficult to gauge exactly how long to hold the button down. For example, pressing 26 easily gets converted into 266 or 2266, so one has to wait out the incorrect number and then start again. When in the menu system trying to change the captions, one winds up exiting the menu sooner than one had wanted to and having to start all over again.

When you press the EPG button, you can't press it again to turn it off even though there's no other use for the EPG button; you have to find the Menu button instead to turn it off. The Zenith/Insignia remote is more efficiently designed to use the same button you just used to exit out of the selection.

The Favorite button only advances to the next "favorite" channel, whereas the Zenith/Insignia shows a list of your channels and allows you to pick which one you want.

The DS has a sleep function that is separate from the power off function; the sleep function would be a one-time setting while the power off would be permanent.

The "info button" is redundant since pressing the "OK" button brings up the same information. (This should have been replaced with a Sleep button instead.)

The menu isn't very well designed; some of the options in the menu are unnecessary since there are designated buttons for it.

The menu for the captions is atrocious; there is no caption preview and the font style choices are only called "Style 1," "Style 2," etc. so you have no idea what the captions look like until you dig yourself out of the menu and wait for a caption to show up. All the captions are too small, even when set to "large" and four of the font styles look very much like each other.

The DS's EPG is certainly more substantial and detailed than the Zenith's, but the Zenith's permits quick and easy navigation with its much more responsive remote control.

The DS doesn't allow you to choose a channel that hasn't already been identified by the auto-scan, whereas the Zenith/Insignia does.

As a practical matter, I already use online TV guides to plan my TV watching, and they provide more information than the EPG does and much more quickly and easily. With all its flaws, the DS doesn't have much appeal for me, and it'll be going back to the store.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Just picked up one of these today. Radio Shack was sold out of the Zenith's and just got a shipment of these in, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Out of the box, the unit feels a little light and is made of plastic, but most things are now. I wouldn't have minded a metal casing, but since nothing will be stacked on top of it, it didn't really matter much.

Unlike some others, the remote has grown on me. The layout is very easy to remember, and overall it reminds me of a scaled-down Tivo remote. It's fairly responsive and the universal option worked instantly on the 15+ year old TV it is hooked to.

Turning the unit on, the auto-setup works fast. It only took about two minutes to cycle through all of the channels and lock in all of the networks. I only lost a couple very weak stations, but that doesn't bother me. Instead, we picked up four others (our NBC affiliate weather station and 3 more PBS). This was done with a simple set of 2-mast rabbit ears. With an amplified antenna, we may pick up a couple more.

The menu system seems to be fairly well laid out, with the categories using images and the sub-categories using text. It only took me a couple minutes to familiarize myself with it and set the unit up just how I wanted it. The signal meter is also a great design. Using a color-coded strength bar and numbers, it's a no-brainer.

The main drawback to the layout is the fact that the program guide only works for the channel you are watching. Being used to DirecTV, I like being able to watch something and find out what else is on at the same time, but since this is a secondary TV it's not a huge deal. Also, from what I have read, there is no manual-tuning option for this set. That is a pretty big drawback for me since I cannot search for weak stations on the fly and adjust just to see what I can get, but again, secondary TV so I will live with it.

Comparing the video, there is absolutely no contest. Analog cannot touch the picture this TV has now. Every station comes through perfectly clear without the snow and constant adjusting like before. The only problem is with the screen size choices. While the majority of the stations work fine in anamorphic, the ones broadcasting in HD have too much of the sides cut off. Switching to 16:9, that station is fine but then others have black bars on the sides. Switching is easy, but a nuisance nonetheless.

Since this is just a mono TV, there is no 'chirping' that some have with DD 5.1. Otherwise, the volume comes in loud and clear with no popping, screeching or any other high pitched noises.

So far, this unit has far exceeded my expectations.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmulvany View Post

I find the DS remote control annoyingly difficult to use

I actually liked the DS remote better, primarily because the layout is easier to use both visually and by feel. I didn't find responsiveness and functionality to be a problem. Personal preference I guess.

Quote:

The DS has a sleep function that is separate from the power off function; the sleep function would be a one-time setting while the power off would be permanent.

This is also true for the Zenith isn't it?

Quote:

The "info button" is redundant since pressing the "OK" button brings up the same information. (This should have been replaced with a Sleep button instead.)

Agree

Quote:

some of the options in the menu are unnecessary since there are designated buttons for it.

I thought this about both boxes.

Quote:

The DS doesn't allow you to choose a channel that hasn't already been identified by the auto-scan, whereas the Zenith/Insignia does.

On DS, if you want to go to channel 10 (RF), just enter ".10" on the remote. It will tune to RF 10 and look for a signal. On the Zenith (unless I missed something), you would enter "10-". If there's an existing scanned channel with PSIP 10.1, it'll take you to whatever RF channel that 10.1 is on, not necessarily RF channel 10. In that case, you would have to go through the menu to tune to RF 10.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

need some help here- i picked up a digital stream at the local rat shack but can't get the audio output to work any sugguestions people. thanks.

I haven't seen any User Manuals posted anywhere...not even www.radioshack.com

There should be audio output level control(s) for RF Coax and/or RCA L/R I/F.
Don't set them to max output...try maybe 75% and tweak to minimize noise & distortion.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assmasterson View Post

Also, from what I have read, there is no manual-tuning option for this set. That is a pretty big drawback for me since I cannot search for weak stations on the fly and adjust just to see what I can get, but again, secondary TV so I will live with it.

To direct tune to a channel that auto-scan didn't pick up, enter decimal followed by the channel number, such as ".10". The screen will display "RF" and the channel number entered.

You can also go into the menu, select "Auto Scan", then "Update" to add receivable channels not found on a prior scan. If "Update" is selected, it will not delete prior channels found.

For a particular channel you're more likely to have success with direct entry as the box will keep trying to tune it as long as you don't change the channel. You can display the signal meter and play with your antenna until you find it. Once found, the box will store it in memory. With Auto Scan, you've only got a second or two window for attempting to tune each channel. As some channels come and go, you may not get lucky.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

I haven't seen any User Manuals posted anywhere...not even www.radioshack.com

There should be audio output level control(s) for RF Coax and/or RCA L/R I/F.
Don't set them to max output...try maybe 75% and tweak to minimize noise & distortion.

The remote has volume controls for box and for TV. The box volume control will display an on-screen graphic for the level.

As mentioned before, if in the menu, the "preferred output" is set for AV, volume levels on both the coax and AV will be weak. If set to coax, level will be much stronger.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexus2108 View Post

I like it better than Zenith although that's obviously the more popular box. EPG is big factor.

I would like to have the pass-thru as that will give me more hook-up options for setting up friends and relatives. BTW, pass-thru isn't just about OTA analog channels. I distributed Dish's satellite output throughout my in-laws' house and they have several old TV's. The pass-through is better than a switch for them. Dish has 2-tuner receivers so I have two channels going out. One is channel 3 and the other is selectable. (I selected 37 just because no stations may use that channel). I could use a combiner for 37 but not 3. If I can't make it simple, they won't use it.

I'm curious about the other DS boxes. On FreeDTVshop.com, one of the others looks like the 9900 with a different front grill and what spec's are listed are the same. DS has a sorry website with no info on any of these boxes.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianblack View Post

My serial converter board has been shipped so I should be able to see what I can read out of the serial port on the DTX9900 soon.

Nice! let us know what you find. Here is a good place to post (obviously, being about the box) but also in the "Hacking the CECB's" thread. I don't know which would be better.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1006402
Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I like it better than Zenith although that's obviously the more popular box. EPG is big factor.

I would like to have the pass-thru as that will give me more hook-up options for setting up friends and relatives. BTW, pass-thru isn't just about OTA analog channels. I distributed Dish's satellite output throughout my in-laws' house and they have several old TV's. The pass-through is better than a switch for them. Dish has 2-tuner receivers so I have two channels going out. One is channel 3 and the other is selectable. (I selected 37 just because no stations may use that channel). I could use a combiner for 37 but not 3. If I can't make it simple, they won't use it.

I'm curious about the other DS boxes. On FreeDTVshop.com, one of the others looks like the 9900 with a different front grill and what spec's are listed are the same. DS has a sorry website with no info on any of these boxes.

Can you expand on this comment "EPG is big factor."

Yes I am waiting till april 18th when FreeDtvshop says the new DS with Passthru will be avail. I was told the rest of the box should be similar. That is why I ask you guys if your happy with the box.

thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

lexus2108

I think that he means that the EPG is a big factor because it is not a Now/Next.

Speaking of the EPG being a big factor.

Has anyone seen the Goodmind DTA1000?

This box looks like it has two modes of EPG simple and full
The simple looks like the Digital Stream.
LL
LL
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

.......The menu for the captions is atrocious; there is no caption preview and the font style choices are only called "Style 1," "Style 2," etc. so you have no idea what the captions look like until you dig yourself out of the menu and wait for a caption to show up. All the captions are too small, even when set to "large" and four of the font styles look very much like each other......

Dana, I certainly agree with this. In addition, I REALLY don't like that the dedicated "CC" button on the remote doesn't just turn captions on and off, but instead CYCLES through all the choices. Another thing that would be nice would be automatic captions on "Mute."

For the most part, I do like this box, though.

Brad

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do!"
- Joe Walsh
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Old 04-10-2008, 12:42 PM

I've been using the box for several days at work now and I have to say I really like it. Not having much seat time with other boxes, I can't really comment on the differences... but like a few posters said, I like the remote too.

I controls my old Zenith TV without issue and the layout is pretty easy to remember. Sure some things are redundant on it, but that's not uncommon. Even my Tivo does that -- you can push right to see the show banner, or press the info button.

And I never saw the point of the "Sleep" timer for the box. It's not like it turns off the TV. Just set your TV's sleep timer! I set the box to shut off after 8 hours so if I forget to turn it off, it'll be off during the middle of the night.

I actually like the Favorite channel button. I have 5 stations in there and can just quicky scan through them. I don't need a popup menu each time I want to pick the next favorite. I went through the main channel list and removed all the other channels I don't want.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

Sounds like a bad box to me. There is nothing to it -- so if you are having trouble, try another box.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

People's thoughts are Ch3/4 outputs in mono -- and it gets louder because it's probably just adding R + L together.

I have mine set to Line-Out right now going through a VCR and it's not too quiet at all.... But again, that's just my take on it.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I actually liked the DS remote better, primarily because the layout is easier to use both visually and by feel. I didn't find responsiveness and functionality to be a problem. Personal preference I guess.

If no one else has a problem with the hair trigger of the DS remote, it's possible the the box I have is a bad one.

Because it took many, many pushes of buttons on the remote to look at the different caption fonts, it was especially frustrating to deal with the remote control for the box. (I assume the problem is in the box's response to the remote rather than the remote itself.) The very slow visual response to the pushes of the button made combined with the treatment of a single push as being anywhere from one to three pushes made dealing with the menu for the captions especially arduous. It put me in a bad mood!

Quote:

This is also true for the Zenith isn't it?

No, I don't think the Zenith has a true sleep function. The Zenith's "sleep" button on the remote brings up the power off function and it's not temporary like normal sleep functions are. The DS provides a separate sleep function with smaller increments that temporarily overrides the permanent power-off setting. So the DS's sleep function is better for saving energy and wear-and-tear, but you have to dig into the menu to activate it, so it's not easy enough to use. Somebody was asleep when it was designed.

Quote:

On DS, if you want to go to channel 10 (RF), just enter ".10" on the remote. It will tune to RF 10 and look for a signal. On the Zenith (unless I missed something), you would enter "10-". If there's an existing scanned channel with PSIP 10.1, it'll take you to whatever RF channel that 10.1 is on, not necessarily RF channel 10. In that case, you would have to go through the menu to tune to RF 10.

Thanks. The Zenith had an additional, clearly explained way of adding new channels when you went into the first menu option. The DS's method of adding a new channel isn't well-explained by the menu.

FWIW, although I find the menu system for the captions extremely poorly designed and the captions are too small, most of the fonts look cleaner and better designed for analog TVs than the Zenith's/Insignia's captions are. They're legible and have good contrast without needing an "edge" added to them.

Dana
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM

I picked up the DigitalStream DTX9900 yesterday, activated the digital closed captioning, and very late at night, about 2:33 a.m., was "treated" to some visual abnormalities when it was showing an infomercial on the local MyNetworkTV affiliate, WDCA.

Fortunately, because of having my TiVo hooked up to view the output from the CECB, I was able to back up and look at what had happened.

The visual garbage came slowly up onto the screen from the bottom and initially showed some kind of residue from the menu for the digital closed captioning, even though that hadn't been touched for a few hours. It looked like there was something that had stayed in the CECB's memory that had eventually leaked out onto the screen:

The visual garbage kept coming up onto the screen, though it changed over time. (My camera ran out of battery power, so I didn't take as many pictures as I might have otherwise.)

After taking lots of pictures, I changed the channel a few times and then went back to the infomercial to check what would happen. The problem had cleared up temporarily but came back on in a few minutes for the same infomercial:

The visual garbage stopped moving after the infomercial ended, however, though it stayed put for the uncaptioned DirecTV commercial after the infomercial. The visual junk got wiped off at 3 a.m. when another uncaptioned commercial started, and didn't happen again.

Throughout these problems from 2:33 a.m. to 3 a.m, the sound was still on, and it was still responsive to commands from the remote control, so the CECB didn't completely "crash."

I'd never seen that kind of visual abnormality with the Zenith or Insignia CECBs that I had tried out, though the Zenith had crashed four times and the Insignia five times.

I think all the CECBs I've tested so far are supposed to have the same chip from LG but the captioning and menu of the DigitalStream is very different from the captioning of the Zenith/Insignia, so I'm wondering if the captioning is handled outside of the LG chip.

Maybe I'm in a geographic area (the metropolitan Washington DC area) with quite a few stations with equipment that has some bugs with how captioning is transmitted. In order to see glitches like I've seen with the Zenith, Insignia, and DigitalStream CECB, there may need to be a "perfect storm" of:

a) Digital closed captioning enabled
b) Problematic closed captioning (insufficient attention to captioning from different sources?)
c) Commercials (with problematic captioning of their own?)

More of the pictures of this DigitalStream malfunction, preceded by photos of the DS's captioning, can be seen at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/dana.mul...lStreamDTX9900

For the moment, the DigitalStream is working normally today.

Dana