Digital Stream DTX-9900 ATSC D2A Converter Box - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #181 of 375 Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Oh come on, don't leave us hanging. What was the problem. It's not unreasonable to expect someone else may have a similar issue down the road.

i changed the internal switch on the receiver. but what still stumps me is why the tv which has its own set of speakers would not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 375 Old 04-13-2008, 01:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele View Post

..if anybody wants to see what true hi-def is all look at the pbs national feed.

You mean true hi-def downconverted to standard def.

Actually, PBS-HD isn't as good as it used to be in a lot of areas because they've added so many subchannels. With three subchannels they've pretty much ruined it here, as far as watching it on a larger, hi-rez display.
post #183 of 375 Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

You mean true hi-def downconverted to standard def.

Actually, PBS-HD isn't as good as it used to be in a lot of areas because they've added so many subchannels. With three subchannels they've pretty much ruined it here, as far as watching it on a larger, hi-rez display.

i'm talking about the national feed that's up on cband.
post #184 of 375 Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 PM

Liked: 10
I got a 02B08 version DS DTX9900 from R.S. mostly to use the great
reception and signal meter to install and point my new roof antenna.
I'll later post anything I have to add to this thread. thus far I found
a bug where the initial channel scan setup kept crashing on me, so
I had to do it through the menu using update instead of setup scan.
Oddly enough, I heard the infamous chirp during channel scan setup,
but I have not heard it since. A/V volume output is lower than Coax,
and requires a lot more audio amplification from your TV, VCR or Amp.
post #185 of 375 Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
How well does this set work on a 16:9 TV?

I have a HDTV with only a NTSC tuner in it that is 16:9.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #186 of 375 Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post

And QUIT CROSS POSTING !!

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #187 of 375 Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

And QUIT CROSS POSTING !!

Apologies.

I usually don't do that much, but it seemed appropriate in this case to add comments in the dedicated threads for those seperate CECB devices as most commenters in them seem to be only subscribed to the individual threads of the equipment they own or have tried.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #188 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 AM

I just got new digital stream dtx 9900 convertor box with $40 coupon. after connecting with TV & in-door antenna, picture is really crystal clear. but the problem is when i shut off the TV or convertor box I have to reprogram the convertor box again. so, every night I have to reprogram the convertor box . basically I use UPDATE not RESCAN everytime i start tv.

can anybody have PARMENANT solution for this ?
post #189 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

It sounds like a defective unit. I let my neighbor borrow mine for 2 weeks, he never had the time to try it, and all my channels were still in the memory after being unplugged for 2 weeks.
post #190 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Between the adjustments on your wide screen TV menu and those in the convertor box menu, you will be able to properly use your wide screen TV display for SD picture viewing. You may have to re-adjust the settings when you change your viewing program... If your wide screen TV panel is 36 inches are bigger, you would be better off with an HD convertor box, as others have mentioned. The improvement of HD over SD picture quality becomes more obvious with larger viewing panels.
post #191 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Gotcha. Just tried the Zenith box. Havea friend who wants its, o Iwill try the DSbox next.

The picture I got from the CBS HD OTA 1080i60 downconverted to 480i and upscaled back to 108060 widescreen looked prettygood, like upscaled DVD. Not quite HD but much better than what I had before, besides being 16:9.

I'm going to try the DS box next.

follow me on Twitter
post #192 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 02:37 PM

let me tell me from the start what I did

I connect everything by the book. I select channel 3 from the back of the DTX 9900. now I set my TV on channel 3 and setting everything.
first input select AIR, after that selecting the RESCAN for the channel. now after this I got all the channel I need, picture is really crystal clear. but the problem is when i shut off the TV or convertor box I have to reprogram the convertor box again. so, every night I have to reprogram the convertor box . basically I use UPDATE not RESCAN everytime i start tv.

post #193 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by napad View Post

let me tell me from the start what I did

I connect everything by the book. I select channel 3 from the back of the DTX 9900. now I set my TV on channel 3 and setting everything.
first input select AIR, after that selecting the RESCAN for the channel. now after this I got all the channel I need, picture is really crystal clear. but the problem is when i shut off the TV or convertor box I have to reprogram the convertor box again. so, every night I have to reprogram the convertor box . basically I use UPDATE not RESCAN everytime i start tv.

Replace the box with one that works.

post #194 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM

Quick Question on this box.

I bought it for my son, who lives an hour away and goes to school.

I hooked it up to a cheap Daewoo TV I have and it works great....except it does not get the local NBC station which has a strong signal and is LOS.

So, just for fun, I dragged the Digital Stream down the hall and hooked it up to my plasma, which is "HD-Ready...ie...means it needs a converter box." The NBC station came in perfectly.

Only diff. between the two is the Daewoo is on a set of rabbit ears and the Plasma is on a ChannelMaster rooftop. But the NBC station comes in fine on the Daewoo with the rabbit ears only.

I tried everything I could think of, which was not much, but no luck.

Anyway, fear my son will also not get the NBC station, since it is the same one.

Anything I can try?
post #195 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

I use a cable HD box for my older HDTV, but I had one poor CBS channel not available in HD, so I wanted to see if a CECB would help for that one station.

My recommendation is the DigitalStream DTX9900 using the 75 ohm coax out can do surprisingly well. Still better to use a real HD ATSC tuner, but for $25bucks the DS box does quit well. I was kinda impressed.

Quote:

What is best CECB box to use on a 16:9 RPTV 57" NTSC tuner CRT HDTV?

The Winner is : DigitalStream DTX9900 using the ANT (75 ohm) out !

Wow. Interesting findings here.

I first connected the DigitalStream DTX9900 using the composite connection (using both a 6 foot set of high quality RCA composite cables and then a set of component cables) . I was less than impressed with the SD digital channels being sent and OK with the 1080i HD 16:9 result. But I saw some clear shimmer, dot crawl and clay face lose of color depth compared to a true 1080i60 HD signal. The Zenith CECB looked better at first using its composite a 75 ohm outputs.

But then I switched to the ANT (75 ohm) output of the DigitalStream DTX 9900 and plugged that into my ANT1 input to my Toshiba 57HDX82 NTSC 16:9rear projection HDTV.

Wow.

Night and day difference. No looks even better than the Zenith did. As a matter of fact, it now looks better on the 1080i60 down converted to 480i60 by the DigitalStream CECB (using anamorphic mode) and then back upconverted back to 1080i60 by the HDTV.

Standard def digital channels now look even better than the Zenith and the shimmer is gone. Their might have been cross talk on the 6 foot composite cables or the HDTV is optimized for upconverting on the ANT (75ohm) in.

Either way, I happy with the result.

Most amazingly, this down convert upconvert kludgey chain works extremely well on actual native 1080i60 HD material. I was able to compare a HD channel of my SA8300 HD cable box and the OTA HD 1080i60 version processed thru the DS box which down converted to anamorphic 480i60 an then feed thru the cable ANT out back to be upconverted by my HDTV. The result was astonishing on the 57" rear projection HDTV. Not quite HD , but I had to look hard to see the background difference. Certainly very watchable and light years beyond the crappy 4:3 analog version of CBS that I lived with before.

I am a real happy camper. All of the digital stations I can grab now are superior to their analog versions on my HD cable box. Not quit HD , but very much better than I expected.

The DigitalStream DTX9900 CECB using the ANT (75 ohm) out (do not use the composite out, is the clear winner here when connected to a larger NTSC tuner based HDTV.

I also connected it to the 27 and 32 inch 4:3 CRT TVs I have as well. Overall the Digitalstream DTX9900 looked good there too.

It will be my clear recommendation between the two.

EDIT: added this addition

Quote:

I can now get pretty good pictures on both boxes using composite.

Played with both the DigitalStream and Zenith CECB boxes on different settings.

Once I cranked down the contrast and sharpness settings for both boxes I compared them both on RF coax and composite. So I was switching A-B-C-D to compare.

I could now get all 4 inputs to look about the same on the HD channels, with addition of course of stereo sound on composite. The Zenith had less moire and shimmering on the SD digital channels and properly showed them in 4:3 aspect ratio. My HDTV was over compensating , but when I cranked down the contrast and sharpness, it could make all 4 inputs look pretty good.

So I'm back to keeping the Zenith, cause I don't care about the EPG and it properly displays 4:3 digital content automatically while I change channels.

I would try the Zenith in 16:9 TV aspect mode if you have a 16:9 HDTV.

Of course by using the composite inputs I get stereo again.

Bottom line: Zenith and DigitalStream look about the same on HD stations. Zenith 16:9 TV aspect ratio setup allows proper aspect ratio display of 4:3 content with side pillar boxes on a 16:9 HDTV display with slightly better display of SD content.

I still like the DigitalStream remote EPG and menus, but the 16:9 TV Aspect setting works for me in my particular situation.

follow me on Twitter
post #196 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintop View Post

Quick Question on this box. ...

I hooked it up to a cheap Daewoo TV I have and it works great....except it does not get the local NBC station which has a strong signal and is LOS.

So, just for fun, I dragged the Digital Stream down the hall and hooked it up to my plasma ... The NBC station came in perfectly.

Only diff. between the two is the Daewoo is on a set of rabbit ears and the Plasma is on a ChannelMaster rooftop. But the NBC station comes in fine on the Daewoo with the rabbit ears only. ...

Maybe the set-top antenna on the Daewoo can receive the channel with the NBC station's analog signal but not the underlying real channel that carries their digital signal.  That's what it sounds like.  If you can get other channels carried in the same band as the true frequency for the NBC station's digital feed, maybe the antenna position just needs some adjusting.

Coincidentally, I also have a DTX9900 hooked up to a 13" analog Daewoo TV with rabbit ears and a UHF loop.  Our local NBC station's digital feed (UHF, channel 29) comes in better than its analog feed (VHF-low, channel 5).
post #197 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

I use a cable HD box for my older HDTV, but I had one poor CBS channel not available in HD, so I wanted to see if a CECB would help for that one station.

My recommendation is the DigitalStream DTX9900 using the 75 ohm coax out can do surprisingly well. Still better to use a real HD ATSC tuner, but for $25bucks the DS box does quit well. I was kinda impressed.

As much as I hate to make a post like this, I must now make my appeal to you also.

PLEASE, PLEASE STOP CROSS-POSTING SO MANY RESPONSES YOU MAKE.

I am following all these threads and I am really tired of reading your same posts over and over across them. You started your own thread on this topic here. Please use it and stop repeating across threads. I hope this is not how you got your enormous post count.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #198 of 375 Old 04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

As much as I hate to make a post like this, I must now make my appeal to you also.

PLEASE, PLEASE STOP CROSS-POSTING SO MANY RESPONSES YOU MAKE.

I am following all these threads and I am really tired of reading your same posts over and over across them. You started your own thread on this topic here. Please use it and stop repeating across threads. I hope this is not how you got your enormous post count.

Its not.

I just thought in this specific case, it was appropriate for me to post the followup and resolution in the specific threads I asked the question in , for the benefit of those that were only following this thread, as a courtesy.

It seemed reasonable to post a link or summary in the original thread I started , the Zenith versus DigitalStream thread and the DigitalStream thread where I had the overall best experience and additional comments on my head to head comparison on CRT TVs.

I just wanted people in those threads I posted in to know my issue was resolved and to share my experience if it could help them in a similar situation.

If I did not, people may continue to post in attempting to help me , even when my situation was resolved.

I would hope that you would understand.

follow me on Twitter
post #199 of 375 Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I just wanted to counter Kosty's post. While I like the DS box I do NOT experience better PQ using RF out. In fact it's noticeably poorer as well as being in mono audio. I don't disagree that you may be seeing better PQ via RF, but at least in my case it's not better but worse. I have a Panasonic 32" 720p LCD. I'll post later more findings on the DS box. For now I'd say it's a nice box. No where near HD PQ but nice features.
post #200 of 375 Old 04-19-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

continued conversation on jjeff's comment here:

What is best CECB box to use on a 16:9 RPTV 57" NTSC tuner CRT HDTV?

It may be that my older HDTV is upconverting the RF coax input differently than the composite input as many earlier HDTVs were optimized to upconvert cable.

follow me on Twitter
post #201 of 375 Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

In fact it's noticeably poorer as well as being in mono audio.
I don't disagree that you may be seeing better PQ via RF,
but at least in my case it's not better but worse.

I'm surprised how weak and mono sounding the RCA jacks of my DS seem,
and am tempted to use the composite jack instead. I have not noticed
any chirping during 5:1 sound transmissions. There is definitely something
odd going on with this box sound wise, but I don't have the technical idea
how to articulate or isolate it. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with this box.
I'm probably going to return mine in a week or two, but I may get another
one in May when the analog pass thru version of this box comes out.
hopefully they will have also sorted out any audio anomalies that remain.
post #202 of 375 Old 04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I had no problems with the audio, but did notice that changing the "preferred connection" option to LINE OUT changed the volume output level. Didn't notice that it changed the PQ though. I'm not really sure what's the purpose of the setting. I also don't know what the ANTENNA/CABLE selection is all about. I didn't think any of these boxes could get QAM, but did notice if I selected CABLE I got no OTA channels so I don't know what it's doing. I don't have cable to try if it indeeds gets anything when set to CABLE. I'm sure it doesn't.
post #203 of 375 Old 04-19-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought one of these this evening. As a CECB - it works fine. For my intended use - I can't find an IR blaster code that my computer has . It's going back to Radio Shack tomorrow.

post #204 of 375 Old 04-19-2008, 07:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I just wanted to counter Kosty's post. While I like the DS box I do NOT experience better PQ using RF out. In fact it's noticeably poorer as well as being in mono audio. I don't disagree that you may be seeing better PQ via RF, but at least in my case it's not better but worse. I have a Panasonic 32" 720p LCD. I'll post later more findings on the DS box. For now I'd say it's a nice box. No where near HD PQ but nice features.

This is my finding now as well once cranked down the contrast and sharpness and SVM settings.

follow me on Twitter
post #205 of 375 Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had no problems with the audio, but did notice that changing the "preferred connection" option to LINE OUT changed the volume output level. Didn't notice that it changed the PQ though. I'm not really sure what's the purpose of the setting.

Nor am I.  It doesn't seem to affect the mode in which the box next powers up, and that was my only guess.
Quote:

I also don't know what the ANTENNA/CABLE selection is all about. I didn't think any of these boxes could get QAM, but did notice if I selected CABLE I got no OTA channels so I don't know what it's doing. I don't have cable to try if it indeeds gets anything when set to CABLE. I'm sure it doesn't.

I couldn't resist trying the "cable" setting, but of course it found nothing in the signal from Comcast's coax.  However, when I used the cable setting with the antenna, it did pick up the one OTA digital channel here that's currently on a VHF frequency, which is logical.  So I think that the "cable" setting in the DTX9900 is something intended for a QAM-reading receiver that didn't get properly removed from the CECB's firmware.
post #206 of 375 Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 79
"Digital Cable" systems within the U.S. use QAM instead of ATSC (8VSB).
And of course, CECB converter boxes (unfortunately) don't do analog NTSC.

However, there are some Master Antenna Distribution Systems in the U.S. as well as some
foreign cable systems (e.g. Korea) that do distribute ATSC (8VSB) signals without any
modulation conversions.

Hence the converter boxes would be compatible with these particular systems.
And explains the paragraph in many User Manuals claiming they work on "cable" systems
(however, not in the U.S.).

The "cable" vs "antenna" selection is probably reducing the overall sensitivity when
in cable mode to suppress intermodulation distortion due to many strong cable signals.
post #207 of 375 Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

The "cable" vs "antenna" selection is probably reducing the overall sensitivity when in cable mode to suppress intermodulation distortion due to many strong cable signals.

It can't be reducing it by much, because the one station the DTX9900 picked up in cable mode (while connected to antenna input: of course it found none while connected to cable input) is on a VHF-low frequency and is far and away the hardest to receive of our local digital stations.
post #208 of 375 Old 04-20-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Interesting. When I get analog channels with the cable switch/antenna combination, it's only the UHF ones. I don't get any VHF.
post #209 of 375 Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

I think that option was disabled to dumb down the unit to meet the CECB certification or for cost savings. I just think it was not removed from the firmware.

follow me on Twitter
post #210 of 375 Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packeteers View Post

I'm surprised how weak and mono sounding the RCA jacks of my DS seem,
and am tempted to use the composite jack instead. I have not noticed
any chirping during 5:1 sound transmissions. There is definitely something
odd going on with this box sound wise, but I don't have the technical idea
how to articulate or isolate it. Otherwise, I'm very pleased with this box.
I'm probably going to return mine in a week or two, but I may get another
one in May when the analog pass thru version of this box comes out.
hopefully they will have also sorted out any audio anomalies that remain.

I felt the same way, then I remembered reading a post where they recommended switching the audio set up in the menu to R/F connection. I made that change, and now the audio out of the RCA jacks is much stronger. One might think that setting would cut off the audio from the L/R jacks, but it doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page