DTV converter box & VCRs - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the panasonic does record now, however it cannot record digital stations and I was told that NO VCR can do that by several sources unless it goes through a converter box which will convert the digital signal to analog which a vhs tape will record. So I am just trying to get it set up for the complete conversion

Smpowell
do you know how to change the vcr to see channel 3 or 4?
I could not seem to get it to stay there because during the scan it eliminated those and on the program menu, there are only the choices of the scanned station s and the in1 or in2 which I guess I need the yellow red white cord for but my tv does not have that hook up
I feel like I am going back to school. I just learned how to use a computer , Kinda, a few years ago. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorguy View Post

the panasonic does record now, however it cannot record digital stations and I was told that NO VCR can do that by several sources unless it goes through a converter box which will convert the digital signal to analog which a vhs tape will record. So I am just trying to get it set up for the complete conversion

do you know how to change the vcr to see channel 3 or 4?
I could not seem to get it to stay there because during the scan it eliminated those and on the program menu, there are only the choices of the scanned station s and the in1 or in2 which I guess I need the yellow red white cord for but my tv does not have that hook up
I feel like I am going back to school. I just learned how to use a computer , Kinda, a few years ago. thank you

if you want to use the antenna coax to connect the converter box to the vcr, then turn the converter box on and do a channel scan on the vcr. it should find 3 or 4 what ever the converter box is set to output.

alternately you could use the yellow jack on the converter box to the yellow jack input on the vcr. you select this by either channel 0, AV input, video input (whatever your vcr has).
post #63 of 78 Old 03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Once a Panasonic EZ series DVD recorder is connected to an antenna and the channels have been scanned and the clock is set, digital and analog channels may be viewed normally and/or recorded on a DVD. There is no need to connect a converter box to a DMR-EZ48V. A converter box is an unnecessary complication. Use the converter box on another analog TV that isn't used with a time-shifting device.

When a Panasonic combo recorder is powered on it is in RF pass through mode (bypassing the Panasonic's digital and analog tuners). In order to cause the RF output to carry a modulated signal press SCHEDULE to open the schedule menu and then press SCHEDULE again to close the schedule menu. The RF output is now modulated and will feed a RF signal to the TV via the coaxial cable connection. Use the Panasonic remote to select the various digital and analog channels.

Due to the EZ series integration of analog and digital sub-channels into a single tuning sequence there will be a momentary delay in displaying channels, especially when moving between analog and digital channels. If the EZ series recorder is rushed into changing channels too quickly, the machine may freeze up, requiring the pressing of the recessed reset button behind the fold down door on the front panel.

Once the full power analog channels have disappeared in June rescan the channels. That should speed up "channel-surfing."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #64 of 78 Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM

>Smpowell
>do you know how to change the vcr to see channel 3 or 4?

>I could not seem to get it to stay there because during the scan it eliminated >those and on the program menu,

Try the following. Go into the converter's menu and make sure the "auto shutdown feature" is turned off. Make sure the converter is turned on (not stand-by) when the EZ or VCR "scans" for input channels.

Or you could just use the composite (yellow/red/white) cables I recommended and avoid having to worry about how the EZ or VCR scans for input channels.

>there are only the choices of the scanned station s and the in1 or in2 which I >guess I need the yellow red white cord for but my tv does not have that >hook up

>my tv is 20 years old and has only the push on plug not the yellow red >white, the guy at the store said I needed another box to plug the yellow >red white into and then use the coax from that to the tv

The "guy at the store" didn't know what he was talking about. The yellow/white/red cable is used to connect the converter box to the EZ's A/V 1 input (page 7 - item 7 in the manual). All you need to connect the EZ to your TV is a coax cable connected to the EZ's "RF out" (See page 7 - item 3). As far as your TV is concerned, it will think it's watching analog channel 3 or 4.
post #65 of 78 Old 04-02-2009, 03:36 PM

I live in West Los Angeles, California, close to Santa Monica. I've spent days trying to educate myself from member postings on many TV converter general and brand name threads. I've got two extra coupons from a friend, and I'm ready to buy the appropriate converter(s). Now I need your considered advice on proper setup for my needs, and best converters for that.

CURRENT SETUP: A 36" Sony FD Trinitron WEGA (9 year old TV set: sharp and beautiful video with good audio). A Toshiba HDMI DVD Player/VCR Combo(4 years old: plays DVDs and VHS well). A Panasonic VCR (about 10 years old with VCRplus Gold which was never set up). Would like to keep them all, as long as they work well. I have a good rooftop antenna (about 30 feet high from ground), properly positioned.

4 months ago I got a Zenith DTT901 Converter (has analog pass-through), hooked it up and it has given me beautiful broadcasts on 22 channels, which become 65 stations with the sub-channels. I watch about half of those stations (not interested in Korean, Armenian, Mandarin, shopping or Spanish soap operas), so I'm fully covered. I do a lot of analog taping (use Channel 3 on the TV set), quite often watching one show, while taping two others. By using 8 hour tapes (on SLP) I can tape 16 hours while I'm away from home for 2-3 weeks.

The Antenna cable goes to the Zenith converter "From Antenna" socket. The cable from the Zenith RF Out connects to a Splitter. One splitter cable connects to one VCR, the other to the other VCR. I use an A/B Connector with 3 cables going to the VCRs and the TV, in order to tape each VCR independently (obviously only when in Analog mode).

I have never had any problems taping those VCRs, and want to continue doing so when we switch to all-digital on June 12. However, a) my Zenith converter won't program weeks in advance, so I need one that does; and b) since I will need to program through a converter (not the VCRs anymore, if I understand correctly), then the current setup with the splitter and the A/B switch won't work (again, if I understand correctly). Therefore, please help me first understand what kind of set-up I need:

1) To watch one show and tape two more to the two VCRs - do I need 3 converters: one to watch and two to tape at the same time? If so, how do I hook them up: one to each VCR with a triple splitter and one to the TV? Someone mentioned using Composite cables to get better reception - does that help? How? What's the set-up then?

2) Is there a way to use only two converters that program the VCRs (I'll disconnect the Zenith) and which allow me to watch also? How?

3) Whether I need two or three converters for my ideal set-up, from all the postings I've read it seems that my best bets for Electronic Program Guide programming VCRs (assuming they can be properly adjusted and programmed) are the Dish DTVPal Plus, and the Zinwell ZAT-950A, to take advantage of the latest advanced tuners, for Picture Quality and Sensitivity.

Questions: Have I missed any other converters for my needs? Do you know of any others coming soon on the market that suggest waiting a bit? The Dish seems to disconnect the timing occasionally, thus taping a program I don't want to tape; and I'm not sure the "auto shutdown" feature can be turned off. I prefer to buy at a retail store (for easier return of a faulty unit): the Dish is available at Sears, but Albertson's in L.A. only seems to carry the ZAT-970A when in stock (not as good for me as the 950A?).

Could you please summarize what works and does not in whichever model you recommend? I have adapted myself to the 4 remotes I use currently (might investigate a universal one once I'm fully set-up) which keeps my brain neurons fit and healthy, but I'm far from a tech geek, and would prefer simple instructions (visual works also).

Finally, after reading so many threads at AVS, I just admire the dedication and patience of the members and senior members who take the time to answer questions from us confused members. Especially in these difficult economic times when we try to save our pennies, it feels caring to be helped. Thank you!
post #66 of 78 Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Liked: 12
Responses in BOLD below
(I'm tired right now so excuse me if I do not address each question in detail, leave something out...)

RE:
ImagineAll;16183520]I live in West Los Angeles, California, close to Santa Monica. I've spent days trying to educate myself from member postings on many TV converter general and brand name threads. I've got two extra coupons from a friend, and I'm ready to buy the appropriate converter(s). Now I need your considered advice on proper setup for my needs, and best converters for that.

CURRENT SETUP: A 36" Sony FD Trinitron WEGA (9 year old TV set: sharp and beautiful video with good audio). A Toshiba HDMI DVD Player/VCR Combo(4 years old: plays DVDs and VHS well). A Panasonic VCR (about 10 years old with VCRplus Gold which was never set up). Would like to keep them all, as long as they work well. I have a good rooftop antenna (about 30 feet high from ground), properly positioned.

4 months ago I got a Zenith DTT901 Converter (has analog pass-through), hooked it up and it has given me beautiful broadcasts on 22 channels, which become 65 stations with the sub-channels. I watch about half of those stations (not interested in Korean, Armenian, Mandarin, shopping or Spanish soap operas), so I'm fully covered. I do a lot of analog taping (use Channel 3 on the TV set), quite often watching one show, while taping two others. By using 8 hour tapes (on SLP) I can tape 16 hours while I'm away from home for 2-3 weeks.

The Antenna cable goes to the Zenith converter "From Antenna" socket. The cable from the Zenith RF Out connects to a Splitter. One splitter cable connects to one VCR, the other to the other VCR. I use an A/B Connector with 3 cables going to the VCRs and the TV, in order to tape each VCR independently (obviously only when in Analog mode).

I have never had any problems taping those VCRs, and want to continue doing so when we switch to all-digital on June 12. However, a) my Zenith converter won't program weeks in advance, so I need one that does; and b) since I will need to program through a converter (not the VCRs anymore, if I understand correctly), then the current setup with the splitter and the A/B switch won't work (again, if I understand correctly). Therefore, please help me first understand what kind of set-up I need:

1) To watch one show and tape two more to the two VCRs - do I need 3 converters: one to watch and two to tape at the same time? If so, how do I hook them up: one to each VCR with a triple splitter and one to the TV? Someone mentioned using Composite cables to get better reception - does that help? How? What's the set-up then?

To paint a picture, you need (1) converter for each channel you are wanting to record /view.

To simplify think of the CECB tuner boxes as a "replacement tuner" for your TV, VCR, etc

On the input to saying having 3 CECB's you use a splitter /amplifier as needed - Note that these digital units can get too strong a signal which messes them up... so keep that in mind...

On the composite cables- Yes you will get a better picture ... On the hook-up instead of using the RF input of the TV, VCR, etc you use composite cables.

Hook-up quality in order of WORST to BEST-

(Note: Anything beyond S-Video NOT being available on CECB tuners..
CECB units with S-Video
APEX DT502 (BestBuy)
ChannelMaster CM-7000 (Online vendors).

Worst:
RF= Video and Audio on same cable (Yuk)
Composite = Video and Audio on separate cables

S-Video= Better yet, Video, Audio seperate and more bandwidth

Component = R, G, B (Video), each color getting a separate cable- with Audio of course getting separate cables as well

DVI= Digital Video, Audio on separate cables
HDMI= Digital Video, and Audio carried on same cable- Downside is the HDCP (Copy-protection) El-crap-ola which should die, die, die

2) Is there a way to use only two converters that program the VCRs (I'll disconnect the Zenith) and which allow me to watch also? How?

Again think of each CECB as a replacement tuner - For each channel you are wanting to record you will need a tuner.

3) Whether I need two or three converters for my ideal set-up, from all the postings I've read it seems that my best bets for Electronic Program Guide programming VCRs (assuming they can be properly adjusted and programmed) are the Dish DTVPal Plus, and the Zinwell ZAT-950A, to take advantage of the latest advanced tuners, for Picture Quality and Sensitivity.

DTVPal, DTVPal Plus /TR-40CRA series units

Pro's:
Has the Best Electronic Program Guide-
Nice remote

Cons:
Unit is sensitive to channels broadcasting the proper time stamp.
There is NO way to manual set the time. (LOL!!!)
There are only 5-timer slots
Lord help you if you order thru Dish and you get a defective unit... I just picked up (3) DTVPal Plus units at K-Mart @$59 this week..
(Sears should have them also)

Really like the DTVPal, this coming from someone who has several of the below:

Zenith DTT901 - Now and then EPG, No timers
APEX- DT502 (S-Video out- Half -way decent guide but it is light years behind the DTVPal Guide in functionality.)
Zinewell 970A, and 950A's Now and then EPG - 8 timer slots

The Zinewell ZAT-950A /970A

Has manual time set
Has 8-timer slots
Pros: Guide is a Now and Next type- showing only what is on Now and Next

Zinewell and DTVPal both have "plastic-housings", and external power bricks, (Wal-Wart types)... I prefer a METAL CASING, and internal PS as in the Zenith /APEX..

Questions: Have I missed any other converters for my needs? Do you know of any others coming soon on the market that suggest waiting a bit?

If you are wanting TIMERS, the only option AFAIK is the Zinewell, and DTVPal unitsThe Dish seems to disconnect the timing occasionally, thus taping a program I don't want to tape; and I'm not sure the "auto shutdown" feature can be turned off.

Auto shut down on the DTVPal series units CAN be turned OFf, but the unit will NOT go into "Maintenance Mode" to do a Guide Update.. I prefer to buy at a retail store (for easier return of a faulty unit): the Dish is available at Sears, but Albertson's in L.A. only seems to carry the ZAT-970A when in stock (not as good for me as the 950A?).

BUY LOCAL- today I swapped out a APEX DT502 that developed a high-pitched squeal when powered off..

DTVPal= K-Mart, Sears, and Maybe RadioShack... K-Mart @$59

ZAT-950A is supposedly a "newer-model" than the 907A, 950A supposedly having a silicon tuner

Could you please summarize what works and does not in whichever model you recommend? I have adapted myself to the 4 remotes I use currently (might investigate a universal one once I'm fully set-up) which keeps my brain neurons fit and healthy, but I'm far from a tech geek, and would prefer simple instructions (visual works also).

Universal /Learning Remote is the way to go...

Finally, after reading so many threads at AVS, I just admire the dedication and patience of the members and senior members who take the time to answer questions from us confused members. Especially in these difficult economic times when we try to save our pennies, it feels caring to be helped. Thank you!

On which units to get:

Your options are basically the DTVPal, for it's Guide... and the Zinewell for it's manual time-set, 8 timer slots instead of 5 of the DTVPal...

PS: As a suggestion to simplify your life from the freedom of VCR tapes, having to program (2) devices (CECB box and VCR). and limited guide data... you may seriously want to consider is a Media-Center PC..

This can be a DESKTOP, or LAPTOP ....

As a suggestion I'd go with a external tuner- such as the SiliconDust HDHomeRun... (On sale for about $130.... which btw is a "deal"!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815327005

http://www.silicondust.com/
It's a true HD tuner... the unit having (2) tuners that is viewable thru any PC on your network.

Viewable also on your TV if the PC has outputs that match your TV...

Guide data goes out a FULL 2-weeks...
It's just point can click to arrange what records
No swapping out VCR tapes
Hard drive space is unlimited via upgrades, or external hard drive units..
Fast forward, Freeze, Pause, Replay, Skip commercials... instantly....

On the skipping commercials aspect, a hour show most of the time has 20 minutes of commercials!!!... You can record, use various programs to strip out commercials.....

Oh, one last thing- you could hook up the CECB units to a Media Center PC.

While I have my system apart right now moving stuff around, I have a old PC with

(1) Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Network tuner- (This giving me (2) HD TUNERS as the HDHomeRun has (2) tuners..)
(1) Hauppauge PVR-500 Analogue tuner with dual NSTC tuners, this having (2) inputs that I plan on "maybe" hooking up (2) CECB tuners... This set up giving me (2) HD tuners, and (2) SD tuners... for a total of (4) Channels I can record to at the same time, plus I'm able to Play a previously recorded channel..

With the above said- Next time the HDHomeRun goes on sale and as money permits I may forgo hooking up the CECB units, reason being reliability, and simplification EG programing CECB's to tune to a certain channel at a certain time, and B: I don't have the MCE Blaster Unit as I got the PC at the thrift store and get another HDHomeRun unit.

With the HDHomeRun it's just a matter of point and clicking and it's set up to record series...

post #67 of 78 Old 04-03-2009, 06:01 AM

Wow! Your answer to my questions are both supporting and eye-opening, and will require some more absorbing and research before coming up with the right smart questions some time next week. Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me in making up my mind.
post #68 of 78 Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineAll View Post

Wow! Your answer to my questions are both supporting and eye-opening, and will require some more absorbing and research before coming up with the right smart questions some time next week. Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me in making up my mind.

On the CECB boxes... go to the threads pertaining to those units for more info.

For example on the DTVPal series you can turn off the automatic shut-off- the downside of this being the guide will not update- and I think the timers get screwed up due to the guide not being updated.
(I know the Guide is affected if your local CBS station is broadcasting the WRONG time data. My local CBS station was broadcasting 30-35 minutes behind on the time, and once I tuned that station all guide times were effected. For the life of my I can't understand "why" there is not a manual time-set option like on the Zinewell units.)

On your hook-ups - you can hook up as many CECB units as you have inputs on the TV, and or VCR.... RF connection being the least preferable.

On the Media Center PC (MCE_2005, or VMC- Vista Media Center)...You can run other apps that replace MCE, VMC such as Media Portal, GBPVR, etc both on a MCE_2005, VMC, and or XP, or Linux based system...

Pros of a Media Center PC:

As I stated before unlimited "space" for your recordings... Instant fast-forwarding, etc...

Additionally keep in mind with a Media Center PC solution and a decent monitor you can do web-browsing from the comfort of your easy chair

On your 9-year old TV....

I'm using a huge (heavy) CRT based set for everyday viewing... and a 61 inch HD unit for watching movies /HD content...

I've been considering migrating away from the CRT based set for the following reasons:

1: I had to move the CRT based set about 2-weeks ago- It was in a rack at about the 5-foot level. (LOL)... It was VERY hard to move as it is 120lbs ++

2: Power Usage= I haven't compared power specs yet- but I'm thinking a newer TV /LCD panel may "pay-for-itself".

3: Number /Type of inputs - Newer TV/ LCD panel is going to have more "inputs".

4: Using a LCD panel / Media Center set-up would be nice for cruising the net.... and or playing games...

5: LCD panel takes up less space.... is easier to place /position /hang...

6: LCD panels are getting bigger, and cheaper and now are PC "friendly" (sharp image for web browsing /computer use) ... Considering the above it's getting hard for me to resist their lure... with the above said once last thing to figure into the equation is repair cost of a CRT, to a LCD panel... and longevity...

post #69 of 78 Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM

One more thing on the Media Center PC solution... you can manage your recordings from out of town over the net.. (AFAIK)

http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-...eap-298408.php

Excerpt: If you're running Windows Media Center, you can with a freeware program called Web Guide browse and schedule recordings from the program guide, stream live or recorded television, delete programs and more, all remotely from the comfort of any web browser.

post #70 of 78 Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks, WeAreNotAlone! I'm back home now and taking a careful look at all the possibilities that you opened my eyes to. I do know that I will not change my CRT yet (I tend to buy top rated quality tech stuff and use it for many many years, as long as it works well - I'm still driving a 1987 Honda Accord well-maintained with 93,000 miles, that costs me less in repairs than my friends' latest models). I don't mind spending a bit more for a top of the line item if it gives me the value for what I need, not necessarily for features I may never use. And I do try to plan ahead for my needs years into the future. In any case, I do plan to investigate the suggestions you have made, and will be back to you with results or more questions, if you don't mind. Until then, warm regards!
post #71 of 78 Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Hello, WeAreNotAlone69:

I'm with you: I've had to move the huge and heavy CRT aside several times and it's a bitch; but it shows almost digital quality TV on analog (when it's not raining) and I can't afford to replace it with a similar sized LCD TV, so I'm stuck with it.

The Media Center you have proposed as an example (SiliconDust HDHR-US HDHomeRun Networked Digital TV Tuner) sounds ideal for recording two shows on a hard disk drive, especially when I'm away for several weeks. I've looked at several websites (newegg, amazon, silicon, geektonic, etc.) for user reviews and questions, and they all uniformly praise it as easy to install and run, assuming you have installed the right software. As I understand it:

a) To watch TV on a computer monitor, Silicon's HDHR connects its tuner to a network router/modem. Since I mostly want to watch the recorded shows on a TV CRT, you suggest "Viewable also on your TV if the PC has outputs that match your TV..."

b) My computer is now an iMac running the latest (Leopard) Mac software. I've looked in the back of the Mac monitor, and I found the following outputs: Mini-DVI port, Ethernet port, USB ports, Audioin/optical digital audio in port, headphoneout/optical digital audio out port, and Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 ports. The computer is one of two iMacs in separate rooms, connected to each other and the Internet wirelessly through a Verizon Westell router and Apple's Airport wireless connection. (By the way, I do have a Virtual PC (Parallels) operating Windows XP software on the main computer (with router attached), so I suppose that I could use MCE 2005 to record TV shows to the Mac's gigantic hard drive, if that were the setup I was looking for). Some users seem to have trouble using the EyeTV or Sage software for the Mac.

c) Since the TV CRT is in a third room (the bedroom), and I will not move the iMac to the bedroom, how does the Silicon HDHR connect to the TV to show recorded TV shows? Can the Mac send a wireless or infrared message to the TV to show what I have previously recorded on the Mac's hard drive? Do I need in any case a laptop PC in the bedroom that has to connect to the Internet wirelessly with the other two computers, to get everything working properly?

d) You also mentioned: "you could hook up the CECB units to a Media Center PC". Given where my computers are, how would that work, and why is it better, except to give me two additional programming tuners, which you suggest?

e) If that setup is not possible, then what else can I do? One site reports that I can hookup the HDHR's two tuners to the OTA antenna with a good splitter, which allows it to record two TV shows, while I can watch a third. But then I would need an Internet-connected laptop in the bedroom to do the programming, wouldn't I?

I sure hope you can come up with the right hook-up/setup with a media center; otherwise, it looks like I may have to decide between the 2 recording CECBs.

Appreciate your help!
post #72 of 78 Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Responses in BOLD below

Posted by ImagineAll;Hello, WeAreNotAlone69:

I'm with you: I've had to move the huge and heavy CRT aside several times and it's a bitch; but it shows almost digital quality TV on analog (when it's not raining) and I can't afford to replace it with a similar sized LCD TV, so I'm stuck with it.
I understand, no reason to replace something that is "working" - that said the weight of something- the expense (or danger) in moving heavy things is part of the equation in deciding to keep or get rid of something.
My HDTV @61 inches is like 98lbs and is easy to move, compared to the SD CRT TV @120+..

Another aspect is "floor-space"- a wall, or ceiling mount panel being more cost /space effective.

(If anyone has a heavy-duty wall /ceiling mount for a 120lb++ 32-36 inch CRT tv they'd like to sell cheap let me know!)

The Media Center you have proposed as an example (SiliconDust HDHR-US HDHomeRun Networked Digital TV Tuner) sounds ideal for recording two shows on a hard disk drive, especially when I'm away for several weeks.

If you're away for several weeks- the choice between a setup using CECB's and the HDHomeRun is a no-brainer.

FYI: Keep in mind you can have MORE than (2) HDHomeRun tuners, each with with (2) tuners each on your network.
The advantage in this being able to record (4) , or more? shows at the same time

I've looked at several websites (newegg, amazon, silicon, geektonic, etc.) for user reviews and questions, and they all uniformly praise it as easy to install and run, assuming you have installed the right software.
Re-Read those reviews- there is a reason people like the HDHomeRun units.. They are easy to set-up, work reliably- and are a good value. The only negative is I wish the casing was BLACK..
(Above said on the old HP n1070m I rescued from my local thrift store that was minus the hard-drive I am in codec hell as HP does not have downloads on their site for the pre-installed codec's... They have the "upgrade" version, but not the base..(LOL). Stupid upgrade version looks at the bios to see if you're installing it on a HP machine, but will not install without the base codecs installed.

(If anyone has the MCE_2005 base codecs for a HP n1070m, PM me!)

With the above said if you have a existing MCE_2005 install, are using VMC, or are using a 3rd party tunning program- the missing codec will probably not be a issue.)

As I understand it:

a) To watch TV on a computer monitor, Silicon's HDHR connects its tuner to a network router/modem.

Correct- Silcon Dust attaches to your router, or directly to computer- I think but am not sure that attaching to router gives you access from ANY PC on your network , and attaching directly may not. EG May allow access only thru that computer.

Since I mostly want to watch the recorded shows on a TV CRT, you suggest "Viewable also on your TV if the PC has outputs that match your TV..."

Output on computer has to match TV-
On my HDTV I'm using DVI for video /separate cabling for audio... On my SD TV- the best connection is S-VIDEO. (my video card has both outputs). If your computers outputs do not match the TV, you will need something to convert the signal. One option may be a extender- /X-Box. In both cases audio is coming off sound card via standard audio jack- it going to switch box so I can toggle between the different TV's.

b) My computer is now an iMac running the latest (Leopard) Mac software. I've looked in the back of the Mac monitor, and I found the following outputs: Mini-DVI port, Ethernet port, USB ports, Audio in/optical digital audio in port, headphoneout/optical digital audio out port, and Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 ports. The computer is one of two iMacs in separate rooms, connected to each other and the Internet wirelessly through a Verizon Westell router and Apple's Airport wireless connection. (By the way, I do have a Virtual PC (Parallels) operating Windows XP software on the main computer (with router attached), so I suppose that I could use MCE 2005 to record TV shows to the Mac's gigantic hard drive, if that were the setup I was looking for). Some users seem to have trouble using the EyeTV or Sage software for the Mac.

You need to check out the HDHomeRun forums for info on the Mac- at one time not long ago when you purchased the HDHomeRun (Thru a company that specialized in Macs) it was "bundled" with software that allowed you to use it with a MAC.

On the Ports- once again you need to match the ports to the TV /monitor being used. The HDHomeRun unit is a TUNER ONLY- it does NOT output video, nor audio

c) Since the TV CRT is in a third room (the bedroom), and I will not move the iMac to the bedroom, how does the Silicon HDHR connect to the TV to show recorded TV shows? Can the Mac send a wireless or infrared message to the TV to show what I have previously recorded on the Mac's hard drive?

Check the forums for details- Wireless is a option (HD channels needing about 17mb of bandwidth AFAIK)- On the "connection" to the TV, if the TV is in another room you will need:

A: PC /Mac? with the proper outputs that match the TV, OR

B: Need a "Extender", such as a:

X-Box, Popcorn Hour A-110/B-110, Neuros LINK etc.

Shows are recorded on (any) PC/MAC on your network- then data is streamed to the exteneder/PC/Mac with outputs that match TV - More than likely this will be the route you will need to pursue. (EG Extender- that data is streamed to- it being the medium you hook the TV up to.

Popcorn Hour A-110/B-110 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBfpTJbG4c

Neuros LINK http://www.neurostechnology.com/

Do I need in any case a laptop PC in the bedroom that has to connect to the Internet wirelessly with the other two computers, to get everything working properly?
Best bet is to Check the SilconDustforums- There may be sofware for the Mac, and you may not need a PC

d) You also mentioned: "you could hook up the CECB units to a Media Center PC". Given where my computers are, how would that work, and why is it better, except to give me two additional programming tuners, which you suggest?

I'd suggest going for the HDHomeRun...It should be easier to set-up, schedule recordings on. If you use CECB's you will need IR blasters, (Imagine a remote control's IR emitter on a cable.... and the associated IB Blaster transmitter /receiver). IR transceiver plugs into computer- it accepts commands from the guide- and sends the command to the device you are trying to control (The CECB)..

If you think using CECB's is a option for you:
On Ebay if you want to deal with the "hassle" of setting up external tuners, and programing your CECB units to "tune" to a certain channel at a certain time, and the deceased RELIABILITY of such a set-up you can buy USB sticks that have A: May have a built in tuner, B: Composite /S-VIDEO A/V inputs....

e) If that setup is not possible, then what else can I do? One site reports that I can hookup the HDHR's two tuners to the OTA antenna with a good splitter, which allows it to record two TV shows, while I can watch a third.
That is correct, You can record (2) shows, and watch a third previously recorded program at the same time.-

FYI: Don't forget you can add more HDHomeRun units on your network, each having (2) tuners each- being able to share the tuners between machines if needed.
Check forums for "how many"

But then I would need an Internet-connected laptop in the bedroom to do the programming, wouldn't I?

It doesn't have to be connected to the net- ONLY to your network... the only time it has to be connected is:
A: To download guide data- (Guide data goes out about (2) weeks)
B: If you want to manage your recordings when you are out of town via the Web Guide I linked to above.

I sure hope you can come up with the right hook-up/setup with a media center; otherwise, it looks like I may have to decide between the 2 recording CECBs.

I'd seriously look into the HDHomeRun units- they are worth EVER cent!

Appreciate your help!

No problem, but you may what to ask further questions in the thread here AVS about the HDHomeRun, or on SilconDust's website.

I just bring up these option as it is light years ahead of a VCR, offers pretty much unattended recording, and unlimited storage space.

The only thing which put a damper on all of this is the DRM el-crap-ola if using MCE_2005, VMC... which the Hollywood types have demanded be interjected...

post #73 of 78 Old 04-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Again, thanks WeAreNot69, for your thorough review of my questions and needs. You make a compelling case for HDHR, and I'm going to spend careful time reading all the threads on it on AVS and elsewhere that I can find. Once I've mapped out the steps and likely setup/hookups, I'd like to pass my results on to you to ensure that I have them correct before attempting to get everything working. If so, I also hope other forum participants will be able to profit from my solution. My very best to you!
post #74 of 78 Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM

I was just told by the DTVPalPlus converter box people that I was not going to be able to hook up my old VHS recorder players to my dtv box to play or record! SO BUMMED that I have 1000's of $$ worth of old machines that I can no longer use...UNTIL I found this site. Now am I to understand that there IS a way to use them? Will I be able to record & play? Please be as specific as possible in your reply, as I'm not that savvy about the connections. Currently I have several tv's using a converter box with either just "dog ear" antennas or a couple that are hard wired to an attic antenna.
I would REALLY appreciate any "simple" advice, if there is such a thing.
THANKS VERY MUCH, Bev
post #75 of 78 Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The way to think of these CECBs is as a replacement for your now obsoleted analog tuner. Plug the Antenna connection from the VCR into the CECB, then you can use either the channel 3/4 RF modulator from the CECB to the VCR (just like when you used the VCR as a tuner for your TV), or you can use the composite video analog audio output jacks from the CECB to the Line in jacks on the VCRs.

The Echostar CECBs are some of the few boxes out there that include a timer feature - you can program up to 5 timers into the CECB and it can auto-tune the digital channel you wish to record. You would also have to set a timer on VCR using the same input (channel 3, channel 4 or line in) .

Now you're problably thinking "But what if I want to watch another program while the VCR is recording from the PAL? ". The solution is to get another CECB that again would feed either channel 3 or 4 or a line input (whichever one is NOT being used by the VCR). You would want to use a 2 way splitter , input from the antenna, outputs to the 2 CECBs for this hookup.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Being A Beacon of Knowledge in the darkness of FUD
post #76 of 78 Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevA3 View Post

I was just told by the DTVPalPlus converter box people that I was not going to be able to hook up my old VHS recorder players to my dtv box to play or record! SO BUMMED that I have 1000's of $$ worth of old machines that I can no longer use...UNTIL I found this site. Now am I to understand that there IS a way to use them? Will I be able to record & play? Please be as specific as possible in your reply, as I'm not that savvy about the connections. Currently I have several tv's using a converter box with either just "dog ear" antennas or a couple that are hard wired to an attic antenna.
THANKS VERY MUCH, Bev

>I was just told by the DTVPalPlus converter box people

The DTVPalPlus was designed specifically for use with VCRs, so it sounds like you talked to someone who didn't know what they were talking about.

In any case, you can use any converter box with any VCR.

Some simple things:

You can play back tapes without a converter box; all HDTV's that I know of have analog inputs for a direct connection to the VCR's output.

For best picture quality, use composite cables to connect the converter to the VCR's input.

New converters are set to automatically shut down after a period of time. Go into the converter's menu and shut this "feature" off.

Try a little mind experiment. What does a converter box look like to a VCR?
The converter box looks like a little TV station that broadcasts on channel 3 or 4. You can set the channel to receive with the converter's remote control; you either just manually set the channel or set the timers.

My experience was that it takes a while to get used to recording this way. having to set the channel separately from the recording times is a new way to do things. You have to think of the VCR as receiving the "converter box station".

Info on subject:
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts...erbox_vcr.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Olde...-Converter-Box
http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/VCRs_and_...ter_Boxes.html
post #77 of 78 Old 01-26-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

This is what a composite cable looks like.

Antenna --> DTVPalPlus --> VCR --> Television

If you use the composite cable between the DTVPalPlus and the VCR, you'll need to set the VCR on "LINE" to do your recordings. You can also use the composite cable between the VCR and television.

Composite cable connections will give you better picture quality (PQ) and stereo audio, where the RF connection will not.

All recordings made with the VCR, will require the VCR to be set to record on channel "3 or 4" or "LINE."
post #78 of 78 Old 01-29-2010, 04:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevA3 View Post

THANKS VERY MUCH, Bev

They may have been talking about the clock/ timer issues with the Pal.

I've never tried to use the timer on the Pal due to this, but I record off single channels all the time with it.
I have the Pal Plus for the guide.

I recommend the TRT for multiple timer recording.
I have tried all the timer cecbs.
I'll have a zinwell or two for sale eventually.
I'm only keeping any because of remote conflict issues.

Note that on better vcrs three boxes can be used simultaneously, and perhaps more with some effort.
L-1, F-1 and RF and you might find more on some devices.
Reply Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page