Blu-ray Disc Reviews: Introduction - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 111 Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
NotSoCoolJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 402
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome job sir. When I popped in the other day, I saw the disc reviews and I was elated beyond belief. I commend you on sticking to the actual quality of the recorded content. This isn't an arts forum. There are several movie review sites where users can find that information. Is there a way you could add to the reviews information about the black and white level information on any particular disc? It is my understanding that the THX calibrations one finds on certain materials aren't necessarily the proper values for standard calibration. However, they tend to be more inline with the Lowest black and highest white levels present in that particular film. I think it could help a grand majority of people get the most out of their particular setup.

Thanks again for doing a wonderful job.
NotSoCoolJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 111 Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Member
 
matchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is it just me or is it for real ??

Twister BD is the WORST sounding audio i ever heard. is this a defective transfer or did i get a bad disk ? have HIGH end 805/Polk setup and Audio especially uncompressed sounds mind blowing but the audio here was worse than any standard dvd. very poor, could hardly feel anything not loud, no dynamic range,lfe or anything in either dolby truehd or regular 5.1

dialog is very muddy and inaudible, effects are non existant!!
matchan is offline  
post #33 of 111 Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoCoolJ View Post

Awesome job sir. When I popped in the other day, I saw the disc reviews and I was elated beyond belief. I commend you on sticking to the actual quality of the recorded content. This isn't an arts forum. There are several movie review sites where users can find that information. Is there a way you could add to the reviews information about the black and white level information on any particular disc? It is my understanding that the THX calibrations one finds on certain materials aren't necessarily the proper values for standard calibration. However, they tend to be more inline with the Lowest black and highest white levels present in that particular film. I think it could help a grand majority of people get the most out of their particular setup.

Thanks again for doing a wonderful job.

Another bit of info would be whether or not the audio has been recalibrated for the home so we could set THX/Audyssey.... though I dont know how we would know that.
shamus is offline  
post #34 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Bokchoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Six out of ten reviews are "reference quality" video and audio. Granted, the quality of the BD's that are rated are mostly above-average BD's, but I think that the top ratings are cheapened if any more than the top 10% of BD's are given the "reference quality" label.

The content of the reviews is great, but I think the scoring is a little generous.

Great job on separating the technical aspect (video/audio) from the 'film' and 'extras'. I disagree with a lot of the 'film' grades (for example Mrs. Doubtfire > No Country), but it IS subjective so adding them into the rating is redundant.

PSN: bokchoykn
Bokchoy is offline  
post #35 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post

Six out of ten reviews are "reference quality" video and audio. Granted, the quality of the BD's that are rated are mostly above-average BD's, but I think that the top ratings are cheapened if any more than the top 10% of BD's are given the "reference quality" label.

The content of the reviews is great, but I think the scoring is a little generous.

Great job on separating the technical aspect (video/audio) from the 'film' and 'extras'. I disagree with a lot of the 'film' grades (for example Mrs. Doubtfire > No Country), but it IS subjective so adding them into the rating is redundant.


Greetings,

Bokchoy, I suspect that once we get rolling and more reviews are posted things will even out. June will be busy and we will see how things shake out. Thanks for your input and check back often.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #36 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Greetings,

I appreciate the feedback everyone. There have been some great suggestions and interesting requests. As we move forward I will evaluate them and see what works and what does not.


Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #37 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconba View Post

love your work.....any chance of adding if the title is region free and will play in playstations down under (aussie)
we are being starved with very little release's down here.

This site should be helpful in that regard if you aren't already aware of it.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline  
post #38 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JayMan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Short Pump, VA
Posts: 1,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great Reviews...

What do you think of having a Sticky thread that would summarize the reviews, and have links to each review thread.
JayMan007 is offline  
post #39 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan007 View Post

Great Reviews...

What do you think of having a Sticky thread that would summarize the reviews, and have links to each review thread.

Greetings,

Thanks Jay. There will be a sticky thread that contains an alphabetized listing of the reviews with links to each. I have not gotten to it yet but will soon....


Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #40 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchan View Post

is it just me or is it for real ??

Twister BD is the WORST sounding audio i ever heard. is this a defective transfer or did i get a bad disk ? have HIGH end 805/Polk setup and Audio especially uncompressed sounds mind blowing but the audio here was worse than any standard dvd. very poor, could hardly feel anything not loud, no dynamic range,lfe or anything in either dolby truehd or regular 5.1

dialog is very muddy and inaudible, effects are non existant!!

Hi matchan,

I just watched this last night with the 805, Polk speakers & Outlaw sub.
THD rocked the House!!!!!!

Something is not right with your disc.

Larry
laugsbach is online now  
post #41 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hi Ralph,

Thank you so much for your reviews and the time you invest. Count me in as a loyal reader!

Larry
laugsbach is online now  
post #42 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Member
 
matchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi matchan,

I just watched this last night with the 805, Polk speakers & Outlaw sub.
THD rocked the House!!!!!!

Something is not right with your disc.

Larry

Thanks I figured. Was shocked initially thinking my system was dying or my ears were getting feeble. RMA'ed Amazon..
matchan is offline  
post #43 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi Ralph,

Thank you so much for your reviews and the time you invest. Count me in as a loyal reader!

Larry

Greetings,

You are more than welcome Larry.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #44 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
darryl b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: wi
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
will anyone else be submitting their reviews to this thread?

ok just read that only staff can start a thread and then others may post. so can certain movie reviews be requested of this reviewer to start off a thread?
darryl b is offline  
post #45 of 111 Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cameron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Kaysville, UT
Posts: 2,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As you stated earlier, you know your equipment and room. Please let us know what they are. Perhaps you already have, and I have missed it.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
Cameron is offline  
post #46 of 111 Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

will anyone else be submitting their reviews to this thread?

ok just read that only staff can start a thread and then others may post. so can certain movie reviews be requested of this reviewer to start off a thread?

Greetings,

This area is set up for posting reviews and for discussion of the reviews posted. I explained in my first post which releases (studio wise) I currently cover. This will provide an idea of which reviews to expect. As things progress coverage may be extended though.



Quote:


As you stated earlier, you know your equipment and room. Please let us know what they are. Perhaps you already have, and I have missed it.

My equipment is listed at the bottom of each review article that I write. You can see my room if you click on the link on my signature.


Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #47 of 111 Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lgans316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Barking, Essex, London
Posts: 6,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi Ralph,

Can you please review the below titles ?

1) Face/Off - Please confirm if DNR has applied and whether the bit rates on the opening credits exceeds the 36 Mbps mark. The import Blu-ray touches 49 Mbps during the opening credits. These 2 checks are required to confirm that the Blu-ray is a different encode from the HD DVD.

2) Next - Please check if the transfer suffers from aliasing/jaggies (Paramount logo and the restaurant scene). Also check if the bit rates exceed 36 Mbps mark in couple of spots. These 2 checks are required to confirm that the Blu-ray is a different encode from the HD DVD and the overseas Blu-ray.
LL
LL

Blu-ray : 340
lgans316 is offline  
post #48 of 111 Old 05-17-2008, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Hi Ralph,

Can you please review the below titles ?

1) Face/Off - Please confirm if DNR has applied and whether the bit rates on the opening credits exceeds the 36 Mbps mark. The import Blu-ray touches 49 Mbps during the opening credits. These 2 checks are required to confirm that the Blu-ray is a different encode from the HD DVD.

2) Next - Please check if the transfer suffers from aliasing/jaggies (Paramount logo and the restaurant scene). Also check if the bit rates exceed 36 Mbps mark in couple of spots. These 2 checks are required to confirm that the Blu-ray is a different encode from the HD DVD and the overseas Blu-ray.


Greetings,

I have Next and will get to it this weekend.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #49 of 111 Old 05-17-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Hi Ralph,

Can you please review the below titles ?

1) Face/Off - Please confirm if DNR has applied and whether the bit rates on the opening credits exceeds the 36 Mbps mark. The import Blu-ray touches 49 Mbps during the opening credits. These 2 checks are required to confirm that the Blu-ray is a different encode from the HD DVD.

2) Next - Please check if the transfer suffers from aliasing/jaggies (Paramount logo and the restaurant scene). Also check if the bit rates exceed 36 Mbps mark in couple of spots. These 2 checks are required to confirm that the Blu-ray is a different encode from the HD DVD and the overseas Blu-ray.


Greetings,

OK, I saw no problems with jaggies/aliasing in either of those scenes or anywhere else. The video transfer rate hit a max of 50 mbps and a low of 14.2 mbps. It definitely exceeded the 36 mbps mark on several occasions. Overall average was 33 mbps.


Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #50 of 111 Old 05-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Crimson King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ralph,

On your initial post you state that 1 star equals poor, 3 stars equals good, 4 stars equals excellent, and 5 stars equals reference. What about 2 stars?

Thanks in advance.
Crimson King is offline  
post #51 of 111 Old 05-18-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post

Ralph,

On your initial post you state that 1 star equals poor, 3 stars equals good, 4 stars equals excellent, and 5 stars equals reference. What about 2 stars?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Thank you for pointing that out. I updated it to relfect that a 2 Star rating = Fair.


Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #52 of 111 Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadowrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So this is where the reviews are. I was looking in the wrong place for about a week. Cool, they are now AVS.

Ralph what do you think about adding the post date in the thread title? Since people can add comments it makes it a little more difficult to pick out the newest reviews. I can identify most by title, but I think it might help people pick the reviews they want to read.

Thanks for the accurate review by the way. I hope Paramount ships out a Cloverfield BD to you soon, I'm dying to listen to that TrueHD track.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
shadowrage is offline  
post #53 of 111 Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
fronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Ralph,

I've read several reviews and eagerly await more. From what my eyes and ears tell me, you're very reliable as far as ratings go -- I don't think I would disagree with any of the scores I've seen.

I am kind of curious though:

In your viewing experience (of all the BR titles you've watched, not just the reviewed ones), what are your favorites as far as PQ/SQ go?

Do you have any title recommendations of movies that probably aren't so widely mentioned (sort of lesser known titles that turned out to have fantastic PQ or SQ)? For example, a title that I think doesn't get much mention when good PQ titles show up is Identity (maybe I'm the only one? Have you seen it?)

Look forward to reading many more.
fronn is offline  
post #54 of 111 Old 05-21-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Greetings,

Fronn, thanks for your comments. I own Identity on Blu-ray and I like the sound design used in the film quite a bit. There are many that I have not reviewed but own that I think are stand outs in audio/video quality. I have been considering the placement of a reviewer's recommended list of BD in this area but have not decided how I want to implement it.

This would also tie into reviews as I do them. When I come up with the right idea I will post it along with how it will be tied into reviews.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #55 of 111 Old 05-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
stranx44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got wind of these BD reviews you are doing and I must say, they are great! Good details with very specific critique of the movies technical as well as content wise! Keep up the good work!

I would also like to suggest you have a seperate thread for your top rated movie reviews, especially the ones you would recommend as "reference" materials.
stranx44 is offline  
post #56 of 111 Old 05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Al Kuenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ralph, thanks for the reviews so far, keep them coming. All I ask when I read reviews all over the net is that they are honest, I must say yours are some of the best.
Thanks!
Al Kuenster is offline  
post #57 of 111 Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Kuenster View Post

Ralph, thanks for the reviews so far, keep them coming. All I ask when I read reviews all over the net is that they are honest, I must say yours are some of the best.
Thanks!


Greetings,

Will do Al. Thanks...


Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #58 of 111 Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
grubavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: on the noisy end of the Half Moon Bay, CA Airport
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ralph... thanks very much for the reviews! Any chance Enchanted is on the radar? I found it to be quite fun and Amy's acting is top-shelf!!! And the clean-up song should have gotten the Academy Award! I did have some (quite a few, actually) drop-outs on the DDTrueHD track using my Samsung BD-P1400 w/most recent firmware, however.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

grubavs is offline  
post #59 of 111 Old 05-31-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,597
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Hi Ralph,

What happened to your review of Master & Commander?

TIA,

Larry
laugsbach is online now  
post #60 of 111 Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi Ralph,

What happened to your review of Master & Commander?

TIA,

Larry

Greetings,

Larry, see this thread for an explanation:

Thread


Thanks for checking.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Butch by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off