post #61 of 75 Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL B777 View Post

Watched Patton last night in Blu-Ray on my Runco 3 chip system.
All I can say is "Wow!"

This is one of the clearest DVD's I have viewed since receiving my new projectors.

I agree that Patton on Blu-ray was an outstanding transfer of a truly great film. Actually, we saw it on BD, not DVD. DVDs have a resolution of 480p, while most BDs, including Patton, have a resolution of 1080p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

Love this movie. The general Patton play by Scott is impeccable.
One of the greatest role play by an actor in our times.
I love the musical score too, very poignant, even for an older film.
A true classic for sure.
So I can forget what people have to say about the transfer, it is secondary
for me with a film like that. Of course, it's nice to have the best and most representative transfer possible.

Agreed on all points. Scott's performance as Patton was one of the all time best in film history and that beautiful, haunting score sticks with me to this day. I can think of the film and still play its theme in my head.

I am not sure whether the relative weakness of the Patton BD's PQ should be attributed to the transfer or whether it's the result of a film made over 40 years ago. Regardless, Patton an artistic masterpiece.
post #63 of 75 Old 02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^ Agreed! and while this BD may irk some it's still the best I have ever seen this movie look or sound.
post #64 of 75 Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post

"Grain ADDS texture." Now, you would have me appreciate something being added to the image if only perceptively. Again, I disagree. Maybe, on a large monitor what you say is noticable, but not on a small one. Until, I see palpable examples I consider the opposing view picky and over-reactive. Let's leave it at that please.

Grain does not ADD texture, grain is an inherent part of the image structure, i.e. the image is built from the underlying grain. There can be fine grain or coarse grain, and as noted above it is a choice the filmmaker makes when picking film stock.

In any case, presenting a film with more or less grain than the filmmaker intended is a change. When you remove grain you remove some portion of the image; that is unavoidable. Now, you may digitally process the image afterwards to sharpen it and increase the appearance of detail, but you can not add back in parts of the image (true detail) that were removed with the removal of grain.

More than perhaps you want to know about grain:
http://books.google.com/books?id=4ev...um=3&ct=result

John K.
post #65 of 75 Old 05-19-2009, 02:26 AM

I was lucky to see the movie at the theater last week in the 70 mm version at an annual 70 mm "festival". The presentation was absolutely spectacular (apart from some problems with one of the two projectors used, which is not relevant here). The picture was incredibly sharp and I did not notice any grain. This should be in accordance with the previous poster mentioning that grain is obviously less prevalent in 70 mm film.

I did notice that the 70 mm was sharper than my Blu-Ray version. A good example would be Pattons binoculars at the first battle. On film I could see "Japan" rather clearly on the binoculars (an obvious goof), whereas on the BD at home I can see 5 groups of 3-4 white pixels per letter, but it takes a "leap of faith" to make out "Japan".

This supports the argument that 70 mm (65 mm original negative) has better resolution than 1080p, so some information will inherently be lost when transferring to BD. I still think the Patton BD looks great, but definately inferior to a good 70 mm theater presentation. Since there was no noticable grain in the theater, I don't see why it should be on the BD in what is really reduced resolution.

Hans Henrik
post #66 of 75 Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansHenrik View Post

This supports the argument that 70 mm (65 mm original negative) has better resolution than 1080p, so some information will inherently be lost when transferring to BD. I still think the Patton BD looks great, but definately inferior to a good 70 mm theater presentation. Since there was no noticable grain in the theater, I don't see why it should be on the BD in what is really reduced resolution.

Even if you have problem seeing the grain, there should be a subtle grainstructure. By removing the grain as has been done here (confirmed) you make the BD look worse then its need to.

While I dont doubt that the 70mm is better, its not fair to compare it to a DNRed BD.
post #67 of 75 Old 05-19-2009, 03:50 AM

Good point MovieSwede. I should amplify a bit on my post: I didn't specificially look for grain in the 70 mm presentation, so it might very well be there. I just noticed that the 70 mm image was much more smooth than what I am used to from 35 mm. There was still an incredible amount of detail in the 70 mm image. I remember my eyes scanning around the image, and seeing all sorts of detail I had not noticed before.

I just rechecked the Patton BD last night, and it definately looks dull and lacking in detail compared to the 70 mm presentation. Whether it is due to limitations of 1080p or DNR I cannot really say.
post #68 of 75 Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post

BRAVO! [IMG]http://www.******************/data/img/3816/s09v0317fvxp/00.gif[/IMG]Welcome addition to the Blu-ray war chest.

this is a must have for the blu collection!!
post #69 of 75 Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM

Patton Blu-ray 40th Anniversary Limited Edition (Released 5-11-11)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Patton-Blu-ray/22075/

I saw that this movie was released again on Blu-ray for its 40th anniversary. Everything appears to be the same but the newest edition has a book. Has anyone picked up a copy of this new edition? One of my favorite movies of all time.
post #70 of 75 Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Giants View Post

I saw that this movie was released again on Blu-ray for its 40th anniversary. Everything appears to be the same but the newest edition has a book. Has anyone picked up a copy of this new edition? One of my favorite movies of all time.

According to DigitalBits.com:

Quote:

Now for that news...

We've spoken with the good folks at 20th Century Fox and have learned that they ARE in fact working on a new HD master of Patton. It appears that it will NOT be included on the 5/10 Blu-ray re-issue of the title, however the studio tells me they ARE working to make it available on Blu-ray to all of you sometime before the end of the year. We'll post all the official details as soon as the studio provides them. Just know that a new remastered Blu-ray IS coming later this year and we'll let you know more when release plans are set.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwoc...92.html#042711

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #71 of 75 Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Giants View Post

High Def Digest gave the new Patton BD high marks, too. Although the reviewer had some reservations about both the video and audio presentation on the BD he nevertheless "Highly Recommended" it.
post #72 of 75 Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM

It's my understanding that this is the same deeply flawed transfer as last time, simply repackaged in book form, and that Fox is still intending to release their new non-DNR transfer in the not too distant future (think, months). Based on that, why they bothered with the unimproved "book" edition is mind boggling.
post #73 of 75 Old 05-30-2011, 02:39 PM

I picked up Patton on bluray several months ago at costco for a nice price. Now I see several more versions get released. Man, this never ends.

I picked up the Thin Blue Line several days ago on bluray, it was released by criterion. I hope to watch it soon to see if it was worth the money I spent.
post #74 of 75 Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Somehow this film has eluded me, as well, so I'm looking forward to seeing it for the first time. Great review, Ralph! Can't wait to fire it up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #75 of 75 Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Well it looks like Patton is being released again on Bluray.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7725/patton_remastered.html

It claims to be remastered but we will see?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Patton Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Patton by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page