Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2008
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 87 Minutes
Genre: Comedy/Parody

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: MPEG-4 AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio Lossless, Spanish/French Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English & Spanish
Starring: Sean Maguire, Carmen Electra, Ken Davitian, Kevin Sorbo,
Directed by: Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
Music by: Christopher Lennertz
Written by: Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 3, 2008

"Silly, outrageous and laugh out loud funny"

Film Synopsis:

History has never been so... hysterical! Prepare to fight for honor fight for glory and fight back tears of laughter watching this gut-busting spoof comedy that skewers pop culture's biggest icons.In Meet the Spartans the heroic Leonidas armed with nothing but leather underwear and a cape leads a ragtag group of 13 - count'em 13! - warriors to defend their homeland against the invading Persians whose ranks include Ghost Rider Rocky Balboa the Transformers and a hunchbacked Paris Hilton.You won't find a funnier Greek war film even if you live to see 300!

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=111841&d=1212343815

I generally take films that are Parody’s of other films on a case by case basis. I have found some to be genuinely funny while others swing too hard and miss. Meet the Spartans strikes a very nice balance between the two by swinging and making contact (in this case with your funny bone) but not quite driving it out of the park. OK enough baseball analogies. The bottom line is that I liked Meet the Spartans. It does a nice job of spoofing on 300 and does so by selecting some of the film’s key sequences and putting just the right spin on them. It also takes the opportunity to goof on several feature films (Rocky Balboa, Transformers, Ghost Rider to name a few) as well as some of today’s popular reality TV shows and celebrities who have recently been making negative headlines. Some of the humor is graphic and not always in the best taste but if taken in the spirit it is intended its entertaining. Sean Maguire does surprisingly well in his impersonation of Gerard Butler in the role of Spartan King Leonidas. I think that Carmen Electra has lost a bit of her sex appeal but finding parts like this is a positive for her career. Phil Morris portrays the messenger of Xerxes who ultimately ends up as the first to be kicked into the pit of death is priceless. He has shown up in quite a few movies of this type and never disappoints. There are some really great choreographed dance and musical bits that showcase some pretty good talent.

Parental Guide:

This is an unrated release which contains scenes of crude and sexual content, nudity, language and comic violence. This is not one for younger viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

attachment.php?attachmentid=111843&d=1212343815

Meet the Spartans comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p MPEG-4 (AVC) encoded video with an average bitrate of 23 mbps and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio lossless sound with an average bitrate of 3.9 mbps.

This is a reference quality video presentation that is sure to please even the discerning videophile. Detail was first rate from every perspective as images were richly satisfying with a feeling of almost infinite resolve. Fine detail was visible in every aspect which ranged from close ups of the cast to both near field and distant pans of objects within the frame. Color reproduction was as good as I have seen it. Colors were bold with vivid saturation when called for and natural with subtle refinement when appropriate. Fleshtones looked stunning with just the slightest hint of sepia tone which made everyone appear as though they had just come from the beach on a sunny day. Based upon the nature of the film this was probably intentional to poke fun at the characters in 300 but I felt it should be mentioned just the same. Contrast and Black levels appeared spot on and achieved a solid balance which gave scenes with light and dark elements plenty of punch and vibrancy.

The high resolution DTS-HD Master Audio sound mix was a hair shy of reference quality. Deep bass extension, crisp and articulated dialogue, and crystal clarity highlight a well executed surround sound presentation that sounded superb on my 7.2 channel system. Thus far I have been extremely pleased with the dynamic potential present in the Master Audio Lossless soundtracks I have heard. I bitstream the signal from my Blu-ray player for external decoding in my Denon 5308CI receiver. The results are excellent.

Bonus Features:

This is a fun bonus set that stays very much in the spirit of the film. There are a couple of interactive games that are interesting and the gag reel is a hoot. If the film is your cup of tea then you will undoubtedly enjoy the various features that are contained here. Almost all are offered in high definition which is a plus.

• Commentary by cast and crew

• Know your Spartans pop culture trivia game

• Gag reel

• (HD)Meet the Spartans the music

• (HD)Prepare for thrusting

• (HD)Tour the set with Ike Barinholtz

• (HD)Celebrity kickoff game

• (HD)Super Pit-of-Death Ultimate tactical battle challenge

• Trivial Track

• Two theatrical trailers

Final Thoughts:

attachment.php?attachmentid=111842&d=1212343815

Meet the Spartans is an above average parody that does have its moments. I found it entertaining and clever although just a bit over the top at times. Fox has brought it to Blu-ray disc in a tidy package that features pristine video and excellent audio quality along with an appealing set of bonus supplements that fans will appreciate. Those who have been waiting for this one can buy with confidence.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW50 SXRD 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks Ralph, but '300' was a 'parody' of itself already .

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #3 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How did this get a 92?
post #4 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It takes great deal of patience and courage to review one among the bottom 100 movies. Really appreciate and admire your patience Mr. Ralph.

Correction note:

The high resolution DTS-HD audio sound mix was a hair shy of reference quality.

Blu-ray : 340
post #5 of 34 Old 06-01-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The guys that make this series are worse than hacks.
" Deep bass extension" FTW? Damn you Fox and your MA tracks.
Video-96 and your AVC encodes.

I hate your product... but I love your encodes.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #6 of 34 Old 06-02-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

It takes great deal of patience and courage to review one among the bottom 100 movies. Really appreciate and admire your patience Mr. Ralph.

Correction note:

The high resolution DTS-HD audio sound mix was a hair shy of reference quality.

Greetings,

Got it..thanks!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 34 Old 06-02-2008, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeynavy1 View Post

How did this get a 92?

Greetings,

That average is based solely upon its technical merits and not on the film itself.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 34 Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This is a must see when it comes out tomorrow. Carmen Electra in high def!
post #9 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

That average is based solely upon its technical merits and not on the film itself.

Regards,

Ah, sorry... didn't scroll down far enough. I was too flabbergasted to read any further, and I apologize.

But it's still a horrible excuse for cine-satire.

Keep up the great work!
post #10 of 34 Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I am not a big fan of this type of movies, but after this review I will rent it...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #11 of 34 Old 06-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I am not a big fan of this type of movies, but after this review I will rent it...

I'd check out other reviews first if I was you.
post #12 of 34 Old 06-04-2008, 11:43 AM

Liked: 123
Quote:

...Meet the Spartans strikes a very nice balance between the two by swinging and making contact (in this case with your funny bone) but not quite driving it out of the park...

Meet the Spartans is an above average parody that does have its moments...Those who have been waiting for this one can buy with confidence.

While I fully appreciate your technical points of the film within the post, the statements above should have you jailed for crimes against your fellow man...and his wallet.
post #13 of 34 Old 06-04-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Dave G and spyder, take it easy. I didn't find the film to be so terrible and as I have stated that is just my opinion. You don't have to agree, but jail ? Crimes against my fellow man?

Lighten up...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 34 Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 PM

Liked: 123
Ralph,

With all due respect, having an opinion of a movie is one thing, heralding in garbage is entirely something else. This isn't something akin to Children of Men or Cloverfield, wherein we find the polarization of viewship to reach extremities far beyond the norm, and thusly, should be compelled to formulate our own humble thoughts on the materials discussed at length with both great passion and virulency. This is something that, by comparison, makes Ewe Boll appear to be a master is his field of work.
post #15 of 34 Old 06-04-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 View Post

Ralph,

With all due respect, having an opinion of a movie is one thing, heralding in garbage is entirely something else. This isn't something akin to Children of Men or Cloverfield, wherein we find the polarization of viewship to reach extremities far beyond the norm, and thusly, should be compelled to formulate our own humble thoughts on the materials discussed at length with both great passion and virulency. This is something that, by comparison, makes Ewe Boll appear to be a master is his field of work.

Greetings,

Great post spyder... In the end it is simply a difference of opinion. Most know that these types of films are not intended to be taken literally and as such should be kept in that context. Children of Men and Cloverfield are two entirely different matters in my opinion.

I do respect your opinion and appreciate your honesty but don't completely agree with your perspective.

Thanks again.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 34 Old 06-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Greetings,

Great post spyder... In the end it is simply a difference of opinion. Most know that these types of films are not intended to be taken literally and as such should be kept in that context. Children of Men and Cloverfield are two entirely different matters in my opinion.

I do respect your opinion and appreciate your honesty but don't completely agree with your perspective.

Thanks again.

Ralph, you're entirely right that it's okay to like this movie - to each their own.

Realize this though; you just started doing reviews here on AVS, and I was looking forward to getting them off the front page and getting recommendations from you. Not anymore. Why? You liked this movie. And not just a little. Clearly we don't have the same definition of what constitutes a good movie.
post #17 of 34 Old 06-05-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post

Ralph, you're entirely right that it's okay to like this movie - to each their own.

Realize this though; you just started doing reviews here on AVS, and I was looking forward to getting them off the front page and getting recommendations from you. Not anymore. Why? You liked this movie. And not just a little. Clearly we don't have the same definition of what constitutes a good movie.

Greetings,

This is not the only movie I have reviewed Dave. If you feel that a disagreement over a movie like this constitutes such a personal response I guess that your entitled to feel that way.

I still hope to see you around.

This will be the last that I will say on the matter as this discussion has ventured a bit off topic.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 34 Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

I gotta say I just got this off eBay and I'm with Ralph I too liked this movie. I'm a sucker for comedies, spoofs etc so I really got into this one. Thanks for the review/recommendation, Ralph.
post #19 of 34 Old 06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Ralph, I'll rent this one. I usually enjoy the well done spoofs (i.e. Hot Shots, Naked Gun, and even some of the Scary Movie series). Everybody has their own sweet spot for movies. You couldn't pay me to watch a lot of movies released over the last 5 years, regardless of how well reviewed they are. The reviews are food for thought and I've never understood why someone would let a reviewer dictate whether or not they enjoy something.
post #20 of 34 Old 06-09-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I don't agree with Ralph's take on plots, character development and the cinematic aspects of most of the discs. I generally take one to two dots down from what he said. However, he is generally spot on with respect to audio and video which is what matters. If I want to know if a movie is "good" or not, I check Rottentomatoes, etc. If I want to know if a high def disc is good or not, I check here, Hghdefdigest, etc. Thank you, Ralph and AVS, for providing the reviews. The above is just MHO.
post #21 of 34 Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Meet the Spartans is an above average parody that does have its moments.

Hi Ralph,

Technical aspects are spot on again!

Above average? Humor truly is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. IMHO, this is the worst parody picture, period.

Sorry Ralph.

Larry
post #22 of 34 Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi Ralph...

We'll agree to disagree on this one!

Santa Claus has the right idea...visit people only once a year...Victor Borge
post #23 of 34 Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks guys. I have no problem with that at all. This is just one of those cases where I fell into the minority...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 34 Old 06-12-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hey Ralph!

You are doing a great job on the reviews! This is one of those movies that is not for everyone and I can understand that. However, the 92 rating is not a rate for the movie itself and many people believe that it is.. I guess if you state in the score something live overall grade for video and audio or something like that, it will clarify a little bit better the score...

I hope that you don't get discourage from all the bashing and continue the good job on the reviews.. We really needed something like this around here...
One of things that I missed when Chad made the reviews in the Spot was the shots that he made between the DVD and the Blu Ray.. I know that it is kind of a long shot to do it for every single movie, but it will be great if you can add to the ones that you could.

Cheers,

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #25 of 34 Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks Chris. Actually it says "Total Audio/Video Rating" in bold right above the score at the top of the review. I do appreciate your comments and I don't expect that everyone will agree with My Take on every review.

I probably won't do comparision pics on a regular basis at this time. I think that there is enough of a gap (in most cases) in video quality between DVD and Blu-ray Disc that most feel confident enough in to not need examples. There may be occasions where this is not the case (hopefully not) and I would consider adding them.

It is good to see you around Chris. Don't be a stranger !

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 34 Old 06-13-2008, 06:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

i've not seen this movie, but i love funny stuff and have put this one in my blockbuster que. within the review the statement," carmen electra has lost some of her sex appeal ..." jumped out and makes me curious. what did you mean by that?
post #27 of 34 Old 06-13-2008, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

i've not seen this movie, but i love funny stuff and have put this one in my blockbuster que. within the review the statement," carmen electra has lost some of her sex appeal ..." jumped out and makes me curious. what did you mean by that?

Greetings,

darrylb, nothing other than the effects of getting older and nature taking its course. She still looks great though...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #28 of 34 Old 06-13-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You know what they say....Gravity is a 8itch!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #29 of 34 Old 06-14-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

You know what they say....Gravity is a 8itch!

post #30 of 34 Old 06-15-2008, 02:51 PM

To tell you the truth, this is the worst movie I've ever seen.

We joked that you could mildly torture someone by forcing them to watch this many times in a row.

Was anyone just blown away by the fact that this movie had no creativity at all? I've never seen a movie so empty of thought.
Directions: Get a famous movie and a list of current event. Google "popular stupid jokes". Now try to fit them all together.

This movie gets the worst movie I've ever seen in my life award that might have been awarded to Epic Movie if I had seen it.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Meet The Spartans Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Meet by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page