post #91 of 526 Old 09-09-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny75 View Post

Stepyourgameup, the recommendations are only for movies that are currently available on blu-ray.

Oh, I guess they will be someday.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 526 Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM

Liked: 10
Black Hawk Down..... way down! It was the first Blu-ray I bought (based on the rave reviews that it got here at AVS) and IMO it is the worst video quality that I've seen since VHS... It has a very grainy / snowy picture. I nearly stopped coming to the forums at all since I felt I could no longer trust opinions here. Either my copy is defective or maybe there is something to those Scientology brainwashing rumors afterall
post #93 of 526 Old 09-16-2008, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKamp View Post

Black Hawk Down..... way down! It was the first Blu-ray I bought (based on the rave reviews that it got here at AVS) and IMO it is the worst video quality that I've seen since VHS... It has a very grainy / snowy picture. I nearly stopped coming to the forums at all since I felt I could no longer trust opinions here. Either my copy is defective or maybe there is something to those Scientology brainwashing rumors afterall

Umm...did you see it in the theater? That's how it's supposed to look! It is a great transfer BECAUSE it is able to show the grain without blocking, which is what you would get on DVD since it can't handle grain with the lower bitrates.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #94 of 526 Old 09-19-2008, 07:57 AM

I am wondering how great is the audio quality of "Batman Begins". Does it give impact to the whole story and watching experience?

RegionFreeMovies
post #95 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Iron man and Speed Racer

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 07:30 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Iron man and Speed Racer

Cheers,

Excellent to hear looking forward in watching my copy of Iron Man tomorrow night.

Frank

post #97 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My PS3 arrives this week along with my 58" Panny Plasma (800u) and Denon-1909. And of course, like most everyone else, I'm chopping at the bit trying to decide what BDs to buy for showing off the new setup. I typically don't buy DVD's, I only rent them. I'd like to buy 2 or 3 Blue Ray Discs for demo purposes. I have a 7 and 8-yo so I would stray away anything that is rated higher than PG-13 and anything really violent. I have 5.1 with large Klipsch Towers and no Sub so earth shaking bass is not #1 priority on my list.

I've been reading the posts and am having a hard time to decide. If anyone can recommend specific discs and scenes as "must haves" in the PG-13 and under ratings category, I'd appreciate the input.
post #98 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post

My PS3 arrives this week along with my 58" Panny Plasma (800u) and Denon-1909. And of course, like most everyone else, I'm chopping at the bit trying to decide what BDs to buy for showing off the new setup. I typically don't buy DVD's, I only rent them. I'd like to buy 2 or 3 Blue Ray Discs for demo purposes. I have a 7 and 8-yo so I would stray away anything that is rated higher than PG-13 and anything really violent. I have 5.1 with large Klipsch Towers and no Sub so earth shaking bass is not #1 priority on my list.

I've been reading the posts and am having a hard time to decide. If anyone can recommend specific discs and scenes as "must haves" in the PG-13 and under ratings category, I'd appreciate the input.

I do believe Cars tops the list for great Blu-ray and kid friendly
post #99 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick repluies! I examined both websites and cross references everything with each other. One thing I need to think about is I need to limit my buying to movies I can see myself or my kids wanting to watch over and over (not every week or month, but once in a while), otherwise it is not a good investment for me.

I also forgot to mention I'm a bigtime Disney Animation and Disneyland Collector/Afficianado including a significant focus on POTC. With that being said here's my short list. Want I need is scene recommendations:

1. Ratatouille - As far as video/audio score, I'd go with this over cars simply because I thought this was a bit more entertaining a slightly more visually diverse film. It gets top marks everyone I look. Which scenes to show off?

2. Nightmare Before Christmas - This is simply a landmark animation film that would be a must have for any animation enthusiast like myself and the kids love this movie so it's definitely a keeper that you want to bring out at least once a year during the Halloween to Xmas period.

3. Blade Runner - This and Blackhawk Down seem to be the consensus favorites amongst most sites and forum participants as the overall current best demo disc as far as live action movies go. I'm 40 years old and Blade Runner has a special spot in my memories when I was young. I like the story much better than BHD as I'm not a big war/military movie enthusiast and much more of a sci-fi guy (I do appreciate Apocalypse now I can see this holding a permanent spot on the shelf. Which scenes to show off?

4. Iron Man - I split between rent or buy as I haven't seen the movie yet. Question is, does it have more impressive demo scenes than Blade Runner??

5. Pirates of The Caribbean - You should see my office. It looks like the Disneyland Gallery is having a POTC collectors event. All three movies are a must-have for me being a bigtime POTC collector. Plus the kids LOVE these movies and will watch POTC over and over. Which scenes to show off?

Honorable mention I might buy if price is cheap:

2001 - Sort of like Blade Runner. A very nostalgic movie for me, but I am completely blown away how such an old movie could be rates so highly? Which scenes to show off?

Narnia - This is another borderline rent/buy decision. We've seen it in the theaters. This strikes me as a great demo movie with kids in the room along with Ratatouille as the visuals are so rich and diverse. But maybe the POTC discs serve just as well as a kid-friendly live action demo disc(s)? Which scenes to show off?

Elton John 60th - I'm a big video concert fan. This in fact is primarily the SD discs I've bought for my permanent collection as they are excellent for playing at parties instead of just music.

I Am Legend, I-Robot, Orphanage, Cloverfield - I'm considering these but I think I will definitely rent before I buy.

Planet Earth - We rented and watched the series with the kids. They may be worthing of being in a permanent collection due to their educational value. Any recommendations on which episodes/scenes have best demo potential as this would be a cool/unusual disc to demo for people.
post #100 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings,

I would have to agree about Cars although that is only going from what I have read and heard as I have not seen it yet..

Goring strictly from the choices in my list I would consider the following:

Ice age - The opening - audio

Flight of the Phoenix - The crash sequence is incredible. - audio

The day after tomorrow - The twisters hitting Los Angeles is a good starting point. - audio

The nightmare before Christmas - pick a scene - audio/video

Nims Island - Same thing - video

Speed Racer - Same thing - video

The Waterhorse - Same thing - video

I, Robot - maybe a little violent so consider carefully audio/video

Any of the Pirates of the Caribbean films - audio/video

Iron man - The Afghanistan village sequence - audio/video

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #101 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

I responded to your original post but the mods deleted (I broke the rules ).

Here's a link to a screenshots thread I started, it covers some of the material you mention and may give you some ideas.

Quote:

1. Ratatouille -

See some samples in the thread above.

Quote:

3. Blade Runner...Which scenes to show off?

I love the interview with Rachel scene in the corporate building. Stunning.

Quote:

4. Iron Man - I split between rent or buy as I haven't seen the movie yet. Question is, does it have more impressive demo scenes than Blade Runner??

Just my opinion: not worth owning. Very fun to watch with some stellar scenes; as mentioned the attack on the Afghan rebels. The 2nd half of the movie leaves a lot to be desired for more than one viewing (this coming from a one time Shell head collector).

Quote:

5. Pirates of The Caribbean

I don't own any of these on BD yet but the first one is my favorite by a long shot. Too many sweeping scenes that just look great

Quote:

2001 - Sort of like Blade Runner. A very nostalgic movie for me, but I am completely blown away how such an old movie could be rates so highly? Which scenes to show off?

Haven't opened my copy yet but the reviews coupled with the same nostalgia you describe (I'm the same age as you and was raised on this movie) make it a no brainer.

Quote:

I Am Legend, I-Robot, Orphanage, Cloverfield

- Consider also Pan's Labyrinth, so rich! Also, though I've not seen it, Sunshine. It's supposed to be visually excellent.

Quote:

Planet Earth - We rented and watched the series with the kids. They may be worthing of being in a permanent collection....

Don't hesitate, it's a must. Absolutely stunning. Too many unbelievable scenes to mention but Shallow Seas is obvious.

Fr. John

Panasonic Plasma Break-in
post #102 of 526 Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 PM

Ahhh.... so if Black Hawk Down is supposed to look grainy (I never saw in in theaters) then maybe it should get some kudos for not blocking BUT I bought it on reccomendation for use as a demo. I would rather pull my toenails out than to use that to show off my 1080p! So what if 1 person in 100,000 would be impressed by that stupid grain? I want a "window on the world" not just a dirty window !!!!!
post #103 of 526 Old 09-23-2008, 12:01 AM
TRT
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ahhh.... so if Black Hawk Down is supposed to look grainy (I never saw in in theaters) then maybe it should get some kudos for not blocking BUT I bought it on reccomendation for use as a demo. I would rather pull my toenails out than to use that to show off my 1080p! So what if 1 person in 100,000 would be impressed by that stupid grain? I want a "window on the world" not just a dirty window !!!!!

Umm...Another satisfied customer.
post #104 of 526 Old 09-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree with you.
I think directors/producers lose the plot sometimes.
If they want to produce an art house movie, then fine, go for it. But for the general public, and considering the current public awareness of HD video and HD audio, then movies like Black Hawk Down and Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project I believe don't belong in anyone's list of "great" movies.

I honestly nearly threw up half way through the B W P, because of the constant moving of the camera.
That's not my interpretation of "enjoyable".
post #105 of 526 Old 09-23-2008, 11:34 AM

I think we are in a very small minority on this site, gents.
post #106 of 526 Old 09-23-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazcdc54 View Post

I think we are in a very small minority on this site, gents.

You are right about this site. In the general market place, however, part of the problem with Blu ray sales is getting people to buy something that was made to look bad.

HD advertises pq that is like looking out a window. Unless your windows are really dirty, grain etc. is not part of the real world. For some reason, directors tend to think that an audience won't get the mood of a film without using some photographic technique - which usually makes the image look like crap.

Consumers in general don't care a bit about the artistic vision of the film maker if the result makes their big investment in their HDTV, Blu ray player and expensive software look like it came from a 10 year old consumer VHS camcorder.

One look at a film like 3:10 to Yuma and will get people to fork over the $ for a whole system. Unfortunately, movies with that video quality are rare - possible, but rare.
post #107 of 526 Old 09-23-2008, 04:00 PM

I'm waiting for the "other side" to chime in now. I think with the digital cameras, editing equipment and what have you available nowadays, Cinematographers and Directors can really manipulate the image. The DP is now the "artist" he always wanted to be, but the tools and technology were never there before.

Interesting also how "realism" is still important in how a film, let's say an historical movie, is mounted. However, when it comes to the image, getting an expressionistic or artistic feel or look immediately trumps that. Realism goes out the window. I admit movies are not necessarily reality but there is some major contradications in Hollywood's approach to filmmaking nowadays.

Though a good movie to me to a point, Clint Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima is a good example. It is so drained of color I ask, why not film it in B/W? I've hated the look of most movies for 10 to 15 years now, but there are many exceptions I will grant. What can one do that is on the dissenting side.

Maybe, an earlier approach to cinematography will resurface but I doubt it, at least for some time.
post #108 of 526 Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 PM

PS3 arrived. Ran to BlockBuster, couldn't find anything on the lists we've been discussing that I could watch with the kids, other than POTC and they just watched that recently. So I grabbed one we hadn't seen, The Golden Compass.

WOW!! Either this is just how the first Blue-Ray experience is, or I may have picked a sleeper for the top list! I might have to buy this one. POTC trilogy, Blade Runner, Rat, Nightmare X-mas, and Elton John 60th come tomorrow from Amazon. Going to have some buddies over to watch them drool.

We played Grid and Top Spin Tennis on the PS3 in 1080P. Oh My God. And the Denon 1909 has made my Klipsch surround setup sound spectacular, I am now a very poor but very happy A/V enthusiast!

I think I'm going to go for Planet Earth to round out my initial buy and then cool it before my credit card blows up. I think the educational aspect combined with the spectacular cinematography is a must-have BD set for a family with kids.
post #109 of 526 Old 09-24-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

PS3 arrived. Ran to BlockBuster, couldn't find anything on the lists we've been discussing that I could watch with the kids, other than POTC and they just watched that recently. So I grabbed one we hadn't seen, The Golden Compass.

WOW!! Either this is just how the first Blue-Ray experience is, or I may have picked a sleeper for the top list! I might have to buy this one. POTC trilogy, Blade Runner, Rat, Nightmare X-mas, and Elton John 60th come tomorrow from Amazon. Going to have some buddies over to watch them drool.

We played Grid and Top Spin Tennis on the PS3 in 1080P. Oh My God. And the Denon 1909 has made my Klipsch surround setup sound spectacular, I am now a very poor but very happy A/V enthusiast!

I think I'm going to go for Planet Earth to round out my initial buy and then cool it before my credit card blows up. I think the educational aspect combined with the spectacular cinematography is a must-have BD set for a family with kids.

Greetings,

Welcome to Blu-ray my friend...

Quote:
I'm waiting for the "other side" to chime in now. I think with the digital cameras, editing equipment and what have you available nowadays, Cinematographers and Directors can really manipulate the image. The DP is now the "artist" he always wanted to be, but the tools and technology were never there before.

Interesting also how "realism" is still important in how a film, let's say an historical movie, is mounted. However, when it comes to the image, getting an expressionistic or artistic feel or look immediately trumps that. Realism goes out the window. I admit movies are not necessarily reality but there is some major contradications in Hollywood's approach to filmmaking nowadays.

Though a good movie to me to a point, Clint Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima is a good example. It is so drained of color I ask, why not film it in B/W? I've hated the look of most movies for 10 to 15 years now, but there are many exceptions I will grant. What can one do that is on the dissenting side.

Maybe, an earlier approach to cinematography will resurface but I doubt it, at least for some time.

Interesting point of view. You won't get too much response regarding this because it is off topic for this thread. I didn't want to just cut you guys off but I figured I would point you in the right direction. I would sugggest that you discuss a topic like this in Software or DVD Movie forums. Trust me you will get plenty of opinions on the subject.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #110 of 526 Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 AM

No problem Ralph. I just was reading this thread and saw a few people talking about something that really interests me. I rarely see this point of view espoused and wanted to chime in. That being said I will admit there is certainly much to laud on BD!
post #111 of 526 Old 09-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Ralph,

I finally received Cloverfield on Tuesday from Amazon. Wow, that is the best demo I could play for anyone who doesn't believe in lossy vs. lossless sound. Incredible. I'm also thrilled that the video is a step up.

While I was on vacation last week I snagged a copy of Live Free Or Die Hard for $15.00 too.

Lossy sounds better.

Rogo

GamerTag= Phaleronic
post #112 of 526 Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned "Dark City". Incredible audio and a very good overall movie.
post #113 of 526 Old 11-04-2008, 11:30 AM

just and idea for this list, but could u make the images for the movies that have been reviewed link to the review?
post #114 of 526 Old 11-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Hey all. Great thread here(Thanks for your recommendations list & reviews Ralph!).
I'm just getting into Blu-Ray and picked up a Sony BPH-S550 player last week. I've been blown away by some of the movies I've rented so far: New Indiana Jones, Stargate, 2001, and my latest surprise hit, "The INcredible Hulk"! I really only rented it to demo the DTS HD Master Audio format on my system. WOW, did this turn out to be a really good movie IMO. I thought my subber was gonna blow for sure during this flick!!!
Anyway, just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for their BR choices. I'm looking fwd to checking some of them out!
Tim
post #115 of 526 Old 11-05-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaw View Post

Hey all. Great thread here(Thanks for your recommendations list & reviews Ralph!).
I'm just getting into Blu-Ray and picked up a Sony BPH-S550 player last week. I've been blown away by some of the movies I've rented so far: New Indiana Jones, Stargate, 2001, and my latest surprise hit, "The INcredible Hulk"! I really only rented it to demo the DTS HD Master Audio format on my system. WOW, did this turn out to be a really good movie IMO. I thought my subber was gonna blow for sure during this flick!!!
Anyway, just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for their BR choices. I'm looking fwd to checking some of them out!
Tim

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in Tim and don't be a stranger..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #116 of 526 Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 AM

Hellboy2. awesome baby just awesome. The Audio is just awesome and the video is pretty darn good too.

Xbox Live GT - Prince Oz
post #117 of 526 Old 11-14-2008, 09:11 AM

Greetings Ralph,

My compliments to you and for giving us these Blu ray reviews. I think that you have been doing a great service in making the results available in such a detailed and professional manner. I do enjoy reading your reviews and encourage you to keep on doing the great work as others have been enjoying it, too.

Thanks again for your contribution and my salutations... hats off to you.

regards,

chapper.

Movies and Music is my Passion (by my wife's permission)
post #118 of 526 Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Maybe I missed it in all four pages of the thread but "Planet Earth" is a must have set.
post #119 of 526 Old 11-14-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapper View Post

Greetings Ralph,

My compliments to you and for giving us these Blu ray reviews. I think that you have been doing a great service in making the results available in such a detailed and professional manner. I do enjoy reading your reviews and encourage you to keep on doing the great work as others have been enjoying it, too.

Thanks again for your contribution and my salutations... hats off to you.

regards,

chapper.

Movies and Music is my Passion (by my wife's permission)

Thank you very much chapper. Your comments are much appreciated.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #120 of 526 Old 11-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
The Incredible Hulk needs to be put on that list as the audio is pure reference material!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age The Meltdown Blu Ray , Fight Club 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Terminator Salvation Two Disc Directors Cut Blu Ray , Nine Blu Ray , Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu Ray , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Ultraviolet Blu Ray , Cloverfield Blu Ray , Live Free Or Die Hard Blu Ray , Hitman Digital Copy Blu Ray , Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Flight Of The Phoenix Blu Ray , Harts War Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , The Patriot Extended Cut Blu Ray , The Day After Tomorrow Blu Ray , The Orphanage Blu Ray , The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu Ray Digital Copy
Gear in this thread - Ultraviolet by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page