Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandrin View Post

Anybody reviewed Band of Brothers yet??

I came to this thread to find out the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
[quote=Tandrin;15426881]Anybody reviewed Band of Brothers yet??[/QUOTE
I'm not sure if this is allowed here, but there is a review up on another website. The link is below if your interested. I am sure Ralph will get around to it at some point.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/247/bandofbrothers.html
Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Thanks Toe,
I'll look into Transformers this week; sounds like the right movie choice for the impact I'm seeking.
BTW, I actually thought the right BR movie choice would be the Planet Earth set, and I almost bought it online. However, another minute of "Planet Earth" searching on AVS shocked me with the fact that it's a 1080i product, not 1080p, and reportedly there's even some footage in SD! Up til now I presumed that Blu-ray automatically meant 1080p, but looks like I'll have to first read the fine print on every BR disc...live and learn, I guess.

Is the Planet Earth Blu-ray DVD 1080i or 1080p?
I bought the Discovery channel one and it is 1080i only.
And people are debating if the BBC one are 1080p.
I openned it before I realize, so now I am just piss at home.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytrash View Post

That sucks bad. I never knew of a difference other than Weaver doing the voiceover. I have the BBC Blu ray and it is 1080P. Here is a link with more info on that version.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/668/planetearth.html

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytrash View Post

I understand the confusion. After numerous futile searches and several stumbles on my part, I discovered a BBC/Attenborough Planet Earth Blu-ray set (4 discs) in 1080p at my local Wal-Mart and at a good price. Looks great!
Everything else I found, whether from Amazon, Discovery, Best Buy, etc. were in 1080i.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
anyone watch Miami Vice on BD?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:

I understand the confusion. After numerous futile searches and several stumbles on my part, I discovered a BBC/Attenborough Planet Earth Blu-ray set (4 discs) in 1080p at my local Wal-Mart and at a good price. Looks great!
Everything else I found, whether from Amazon, Discovery, Best Buy, etc. were in 1080i.

Why do you think the one at Amazon is 1080i? As far as I know, there are only 3 versions of this set: Discovery Channel 4-disc in 1080i w/ Sigourney Weaver, US BBC 4-disc in 1080p w/ David Attenborough, and UK BBC 5-disc in 1080p with Attenborough (actually, supposedly the 4 main discs are 1080p and the 5th disc is 1080i)

This is reported by highdefdigest.com and wikipedia, along with several review sites...

By the way, I hope I'm not breaking a rule, but anyone looking to buy the series from amazon may want to check out amazon.co.uk first
Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

I cannot recommend "Nightmare Before Christmas" enough. That movie is downright jaw dropping and really shows what Blu-Ray is all about.

My family and I have seen that movie so many times over the years and we all thought we new it pretty well. That was before we popped the BR version in the other night...WOW...even my 8 year old boy kept saying "Look at that! Oh, did you see that?" The colors, textures, depth, and the sound....downright amazing. So far it's by FAR the best BR disc we have seen.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroy9 View Post

Why do you think the one at Amazon is 1080i? As far as I know, there are only 3 versions of this set: Discovery Channel 4-disc in 1080i w/ Sigourney Weaver, US BBC 4-disc in 1080p w/ David Attenborough, and UK BBC 5-disc in 1080p with Attenborough (actually, supposedly the 4 main discs are 1080p and the 5th disc is 1080i)...

I called Amazon and asked them to confirm whether their Planet Earth set was in 1080i or 1080p, and I explained to them that there was much confusion on this detail point. They said they would look into it. They called back the next day to tell me it was 1080i.
In early December, I examined a 4-disc BBC/Attenborough Planet Earth Blu-ray set on the shelf at Target, and it was listed on the box as 1080i.
YMMV.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
I called Amazon and asked them to confirm whether their Planet Earth set was in 1080i or 1080p, and I explained to them that there was much confusion on this detail point. They said they would look into it. They called back the next day to tell me it was 1080i.
In early December, I examined a 4-disc BBC/Attenborough Planet Earth Blu-ray set on the shelf at Target, and it was listed on the box as 1080i.
YMMV.

You can order Planet Earth Blu-ray DVD from Amazon.co.uk for less than US. If you read the customer comments listed under that title, it gives explanations what part or parts are not 1080p. Remember that some of the footage was filmed with 720p the only format available at that time. [url]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Earth-Complete-BBC-Blu-ray/
I just ordered Zulu Blu-ray from the UK, I could not find it locally.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

YMMV.

Are you sure you were looking at the Attenborough edition? I ownthat one also and it's marked 1080p and my Bluray player detects the video as 1080p. However, I purchased mine when it was first released. I suppose it's possible they changed it? Wouldn't make sense though...

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Are you sure you were looking at the Attenborough edition? I ownthat one also and it's marked 1080p and my Bluray player detects the video as 1080p. However, I purchased mine when it was first released. I suppose it's possible they changed it? Wouldn't make sense though...

Tony,
When I began my search for Planet Earth, I was looking to buy only the BBC/Attenborough version in 1080p...not knowing for certain that it even existed in 1080p.
If you're asking about the Planet Earth set I saw on the shelf at Target, then yes, it is was definitely marked on the box as the BBC version narrated by Attenborough in 1080i. I drove there specificially to buy the set, but left disappointed. Conversely, I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled upon the BBC/Attenborough 4-disc set in 1080p on the shelf at Wal-Mart.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 AM

I just received my Blu Ray DVD of “Zulu”. This is one of my all time favorite films. The color, clarity and detail of this HD release are outstanding. I ordered the Blu Ray DVD from the UK it is not available locally but it plays perfectly on the PS3. This is one of the best HD transfers available.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi Ralph,
I wonder if you will be looking at 10000BC anytime?

Thankyou

I loved 10,000 B.C. for what's it's worth. Video is outstanding IMHO.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:27 PM

A few of my favorite films on blu-ray are Transformer, Wanted, Rush Hour 3, Step Brothers and Pinapple Express. IMHO, this were great on my Blu-ray player. I don't buy blu-rays unless there under $20. Gotta catch the sales you know...hehe..
Old 01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just recently found this great. Great info and appreciate those sharing.

One comment I want to make is in regard to the discussion of Planet Earth and if its 1080i or 1080p. IMO this is really over blown. If your TV correctly deinterlaces 1080i, then there should be no visible difference between deinterlaced 1080i and direct 1080p. I think if you shy away from a title simply because it's 1080i you're making a mistake. I do agree with comment that the BBC/Attenborough copy is better than the Weaver. To me that is a more important criterion.

The first title that I saw that blew me away was Blade Runner. The opening scenes of future Los Angeles are absolutely stunning!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM

Great list! Going to add most of these to my collection.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Greetings,

I picked it up over the weekend. Pure reference material..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post

...One comment I want to make is in regard to the discussion of Planet Earth and if its 1080i or 1080p. IMO this is really over blown. If your TV correctly deinterlaces 1080i, then there should be no visible difference between deinterlaced 1080i and direct 1080p. I think if you shy away from a title simply because it's 1080i you're making a mistake...

So, if on the store shelf you see a BBC/Attenborough set in 1080P and next to it is the same thing in 1080i, and both sets are priced the same, which would you pick?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

So, if on the store shelf you see a BBC/Attenborough set in 1080P and next to it is the same thing in 1080i, and both sets are priced the same, which would you pick?

Obviously the 1080p because strictly from a source POV 1080p is better than 1080i. That doesn't change the fact that you likely couldn't tell the difference from two sources that were 1080i and 1080p (again...assuming the TV correctly deinterlaces). 1080p is the top of the line benchmark but there are other factors that come into play. In this case a 1080i source ends up being 1080p once deinterlaced and displayed on the screen. Most HD TVs today are very good at deinterlacing. Does the source matter if the end result of both are identical?

I'm simply saying there were comments that people would absolutely not purchase a 1080i source as if it were the plague and I think that is short sighted. If you find it in 1080p buy it. If not available but 1080i is available then buy it. That’s all I’m saying.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 PM

Either, the 1080i is a mis-print on the box. At least it is on my copy; it's 1080i on the box but my TV says it 1080p.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeis View Post

Either, the 1080i is a mis-print on the box. At least it is on my copy; it's 1080i on the box but my TV says it 1080p.

yeah, the blu-ray box says 1080i.
However that is only written on the back of the box because of the some extra programming in 1080i. All of the main features of the film is in 1080p.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr762 View Post

Ralph,
How about including a list of blu-ray's NOT to buy because of sound/video quality. A movie we might already own on dvd but the quality is not good enough to upgrade to blu-ray.

Ralph, I have to go with mattr on this one. It is great to see lists of what potentially to get and as important, a list of blu ray titles not to get.

It is sad that some movies are "dumped" onto blu ray rather than doing a thoughtful transfer including audio and video clean up. At times DVDs appear to be the same as those poorly done blu ray and the DVDs are cheaper.

Also, just an idea - divide audio into two catagories

stereo and traditional 5.1
"HD audio" (all of types beyond traditional 5.1)

For some, 5.1 is all they will ever have and its a pity to not separate the two out. For others who have "ultimate" systems for audio, they might be swayed by the quality in that venue.

- Phrehdd
Old 02-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
has anyone seen The Kingdom on BD? I loved the movie in SD and I can imagine what the opening scene and following scene sound like. Must Be amazing. Is it worth the purchase on BD?

I have most of these discs on BD but havent been able to watch them all. Can't wait to have the time to get to these + now that I just got a new reciever (Onkyo 876) for HD audio !

P.S. Good job Ralph. With out you I don't know what I would do when it comes to these movies.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Recently watched Nights in Rodanthe in Blu-Ray.
It's an OK chick flick that would be fine on SD DVD, but it's a waste of $$ as a Blu-Ray disc. Both PQ and 5.1 audio are unimpressive for Blu-Ray IMHO.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

has anyone seen The Kingdom on BD?

I have it on HD-DVD and it sounds fantastic and looks incredible. But the picture is grainier than 'Black Hawk Down', which could bother some people.

It is also quite possible that it won't look better on Blu (or could look better). I have 'King Kong' on HD-DVD and it looks great, but watching it the other day at a Best Buy in Blu Ray it was unwatchable. It wasn't the sharpness of the image or the vibrancy of the colors, it was the unbelievably fake looking CGI. For some reason it came across fine on HD-DVD but not on Blu Ray.

Granted I have come to this opinion based on watching only one scene at a big box retailer, but I have it in my queue so I can do a side by side comparison at home.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Has anyone seen 300 on bd yet? I love the movie and love the video effects and audio effects that I saw and heard and felt when I saw it theatricaly but even with my klipsch system and denon 2808 reciever and 119 inch screen I have been unable to reproduce the feel of it on sd.

Ian

LOGANED 2/2/09
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
One Word:
Awesome

SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsameian View Post

Has anyone seen 300 on bd yet? I love the movie and love the video effects and audio effects that I saw and heard and felt when I saw it theatricaly but even with my klipsch system and denon 2808 reciever and 119 inch screen I have been unable to reproduce the feel of it on sd.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:49 PM

I watched The Fountain last night on BD. I thought the visuals and audio were both top notch. The scenes in space were really breath taking.

Not a movie for everyone. It's a love story at its core, a bit of a tear jerker too. Might be one for the ladies?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spick View Post

I watched The Fountain last night on BD. I thought the visuals and audio were both top notch. The scenes in space were really breath taking.

Not a movie for everyone. It's a love story at its core, a bit of a tear jerker too. Might be one for the ladies?

I've seen this movie in the theatre. Hoping to get a Blu Ray copy next few days.

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Ice Age The Meltdown Blu Ray , Fight Club 10th Anniversary Edition Blu Ray , Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Terminator Salvation Two Disc Directors Cut Blu Ray , Nine Blu Ray , Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu Ray , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Ultraviolet Blu Ray , Cloverfield Blu Ray , Live Free Or Die Hard Blu Ray , Hitman Digital Copy Blu Ray , Master And Commander The Far Side Of The World Blu Ray , Flight Of The Phoenix Blu Ray , Harts War Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , The Patriot Extended Cut Blu Ray , The Day After Tomorrow Blu Ray , The Orphanage Blu Ray , The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu Ray Digital Copy
Gear in this thread - Ultraviolet by PriceGrabber.com