post #31 of 37 Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Greetings,

Quote:

Films like that really show off the difference of what BluRay is all about. You could actually reach out and peel the Green Slim off the Sheriffs face - lol.

Absolutely....

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 10-19-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
One of the most impressive uses of sound in the Blu-ray version of Men In Black is when Will Smith enters MIB's "lobby" - the Fan Room for the tunnel. Those fans make the room shake!

I've one thing to contribute about Independence Day - the Blu-ray version is based on the theatrical version, not the extended version previously released on standard DVDs. As a result, scenes that helped to establish character, particularly in the crop-duster's family, along the route of the truck that Will Smith's fiancee commandeers, and in Area 51 (sorry, Data), were left out of the (initial?) Blu-ray version. Are they setting us up for a later "extended version" release, replaying DVD's habit of going to the well repeatedly on a major picture? It looks great, however, and its sound is good too - complete with moon-shaking sound when the invading ship passes overhead, stirring up the dust.

post #33 of 37 Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
92 for video?!? 92?!?!

According to your scales that's reference material.. Men In Black on BD is not even close. Sure it's better than a well upscaled DVD, but not by that much to be considered reference material..

*walks away muttering* :P
post #34 of 37 Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz! View Post

92 for video?!? 92?!?!

According to your scales that's reference material.. Men In Black on BD is not even close. Sure it's better than a well upscaled DVD, but not by that much to be considered reference material..

*walks away muttering* :P

"Shakes his head in disbelief." You must have a different BD than I have. My BD of MIB is very much reference quality. Unbelievably superb PQ. Have you had your display calibrated?
post #35 of 37 Old 11-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

"Shakes his head in disbelief." You must have a different BD than I have. My BD of MIB is very much reference quality. Unbelievably superb PQ. Have you had your display calibrated?

Well I am a dirty region B-er.. but I doubt that the studios would be bothering with more than 1 encode now that they've finally ditched the whole PAL/NTSC concept.. Care to share a single frame for comparison?
post #36 of 37 Old 11-02-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

I strongly agree, MIB imo is reference quality when is comes to PQ, and considering this movie is 11 years old and looking better than new releases coming out on Blu-Ray
post #37 of 37 Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomunk View Post

I strongly agree, MIB imo is reference quality when is comes to PQ, and considering this movie is 11 years old and looking better than new releases coming out on Blu-Ray

wow.. a screencap would be much appreciated. the region B version i have is.. good for an 11 year old movie, though anything but reference. if someone supplies one i'll match the frame and post it here

edit - compared to the DVD its fantastic.. not because of the difference in technology, but the region 4 MIB dvd release was one of the worst releases i've seen. (massive compression artefacts, borders - they only used 1/3 of the disc for the movie)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Men In Black Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Men by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page