Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 07-06-2008, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

I'm working my way through the 1-3 boxset and I'm very impressed. I'm just waiting for a good sale on Rambo and it's mine.

Thats exactly what I did. I ordered it through Tower for $19.99 and also got Blade Runner for $11.99. Rambo is so worth it at any price really. I'd be comfortable buying it for no more than $25.00. It has since gone down to 16.99 at tower although the sales prices don't last too long before their back up again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
http://www.japantoday.com/category/e...-myanmar-junta

Quote:

During his brief visit to Japan, Stallone presented his bow for auction to raise funds for charity, had his palm print placed with other celebrities at Hibiya Chanter and also took a fancy to a massive poster for the movie, showing him blasting away with a huge machine gun. I wanna take this poster home and show it to any guy thinking of dating my daughter, he said.

Blu-ray : 340
post #33 of 49 Old 07-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Nice read.

Two musicians played pirates and they were really nice people. It was really hard for me to shoot guitar players.
post #34 of 49 Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The audio and video were nice.. Specially those explosions, but the plot is a complete let down... I guess that this one is the worst in the series... For me the second one is the best, follow closely by the first one....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #35 of 49 Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post

I'm working my way through the 1-3 boxset and I'm very impressed. I'm just waiting for a good sale on Rambo and it's mine.

Watched them all in order with the kids, they'd never seen Rambo movies before. We didn't have the last film yet, safe to say after 1-3 they insisted I get it. They loved the last one, as did I.

MEC2
P.S. Stallone seems to inject a little spirituality into his films of late - I know, I know, there are 634098509438 people killed in Rambo, but watching this movie and Rocky Balboa, I noted a hint of Christian expression in each one that isn't in the usual puritanical kid-molesting-priest Hollywood fashion. Has Stallone ever commented on the presence of these snippets of religion in his films?
post #36 of 49 Old 07-18-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Rambo is a must own movie for anyone who calls themselves ACTION FANS.

+1

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #37 of 49 Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Watched them all in order with the kids, they'd never seen Rambo movies before. We didn't have the last film yet, safe to say after 1-3 they insisted I get it. They loved the last one, as did I.

MEC2
P.S. Stallone seems to inject a little spirituality into his films of late - I know, I know, there are 634098509438 people killed in Rambo, but watching this movie and Rocky Balboa, I noted a hint of Christian expression in each one that isn't in the usual puritanical kid-molesting-priest Hollywood fashion. Has Stallone ever commented on the presence of these snippets of religion in his films?

IMO Rambo (#4) may be the best in the series, or at least 2nd best after First Blood. However IMO you shouldn't let young kids watch it. I think in the case of this film, the mature age rating is warranted.

Yes I have observed Stallone's references to Christian spirituality too.
post #38 of 49 Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

the CD sound track is worth the purchase by itself..
post #39 of 49 Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 PM

For pure action and graphic violence I loved the movie... The movie could have been longer....

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my display......Has anyone noticed a blue-ish tint as skin tones in some of the dark boat scenes?
post #40 of 49 Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles View Post

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my display......Has anyone noticed a blue-ish tint as skin tones in some of the dark boat scenes?

no
post #41 of 49 Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 AM

This is the best of the Rambo series. Loved all of the action.

Stallone still has it, even if he is getting to be an old codger!
post #42 of 49 Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles View Post

For pure action and graphic violence I loved the movie... The movie could have been longer....

This is a tad old, but my first time here. If you're still seeing blueish tints and you have a Sony RP, then you may have the OB issues.

Get onto the Sony site and research your tv, or call Sony CSR.

And go find your tv's thread over in tvland....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #43 of 49 Old 10-24-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I found the violence to be more realistic that gratuitious. Using large caliber weapons at close range results in some nasty things being done to the human body.

This flick did a good job of showing that people can be very evil - even to their own countrymen. Meeting violence with violence results in some pretty messy outcomes.

Perhaps if we all realized that shooting people results in more than just a "pop" sound, there would be fewer shootings in our neighborhoods, cities, and schools.

Oh yeah, Stallone still has the chops to do this type of film - even if it takes massive amounts of human growth hormone to keep him going.
post #44 of 49 Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's a real sobering look at the "global community" and man as a species. If you have lived in "1st world civilization" all of your life, it can be utterly astounding about what kind of stuff (still) goes on in other corners of the planet. Man does not evolve and progress as a monolithic entity. There are places on this earth where Man is essentially still living in a dog-eat-dog/survival mode, all the while leveraging 20th century forms of technology.

What can be done for situations like this? It is no trivial question to ask, and I doubt if anyone truly has a solution, at this point.

On a related note, The Mist is another recent release, interesting movie that essentially premises how Man hangs by a thread to organized society. Given the right conditions for isolation, it is not hard at all to cause a degeneration back to medieval "burn the witch" days in otherwise "modern society" people. It's really spooky to imagine how easy that can happen, and makes you wonder (given your individualized responses to situations) where you would find yourself in such a scenario- running away from an angry mob or part of the angry mod chasing after somebody?

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #45 of 49 Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Just picked up this BD for a song at Wal Mart. Great film, great soundtrack. A welcome addition to my collection.
post #46 of 49 Old 04-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Picked this up yesterday at Best Buy for $10. I saw it in theatres but never at home. This movie has an intense soundtrack. I almost jumped out of my chair when the mortar attack hit that village. Insane blast of dynamics there you just aren't expecting. Just a pure visual and aural assault...I forgot how much carnage was in this movie.
post #47 of 49 Old 06-18-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

For those who haven't picked this one up, after seeing both versions, I thought the extended version was the better of the two.
post #48 of 49 Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I have to say this movie is a breath of fresh air in the action movie genre, where the norm has been pg-13'd and vanillafied for optimal political correctness. This movie delivers with full intent to its genre and full intent to the Rambo namesake. It's not catering to "focus group expectations" or just delivering "the next sequel". It's doing it entirely for the "art" (as odd as that may sound for a "Rambo movie").

If ransacking a village is shocking to you, it's not because the movie went overboard. It's because you are alive and can still empathize with the horror. If the scenes of rape are shocking, it's not because the movie went too far. It's because you truly acknowledge the brutality of the act. As far as the depictions of rape go in this movie, I don't feel they were overly in your face, either. It's just quick shots to let you know it was present, rather than graphically depicting the actual act (which has certainly happened in some movies long past).

If any of the violent content seems gratuitous just because it is "Rambo", I suggest reconsideration. It is depicted because things are that messed up in Burma (and worse). If it shocks you, that is a GOOD thing. That means the movie has sufficiently conveyed to the viewer how serious an issue this is.

I agree with you totally... I love this Rambo..
post #49 of 49 Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Also I wanted to mention that this movie shares a kindred spirit with Tears of the Sun. They both take you to a different place that operates in a manner that you utterly could not imagine how brutal and horrible can still exist in the "modern world". It doesn't candy-coat it or sterilize out the negative. It presents it to you at face value to deal and come to grips with (but fortunately it does not leave you "empty-handed" in that it supplies an instant hero to perform the duties that you wish you could do if put in such a situation). It reminds you how absolutely blessed you are not have been born into a locale like that. It reminds you that there IS true evil out there. It's not about a lack of "talking things out" or diplomacy or politics. It is just sheer evil whose only cure is to remove it from this world like cancer is surgically removed from a living body. Movies like this are "important" in a sense that they remind you that "civilized society" is not a given once you wander past the comfy borders of your native land.

Oh boy.. I love tears of the sun too....
I want my movie's depiction real, not some tone down kiddified version...

That's the sole reason I go to movies.. To see things that we can't see everyday..
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Rambo Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page