Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 90 Minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MPEG-4 (AVC)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English/Spanish/French/Portuguese/Thai Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Thai, Portuguese, Korean, Chinese (Simplified/Traditional).
Starring: Dennis Quaid, Matthew Fox, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, Forrest Whitaker, Edgar Ramirez, Ayelet Zurer
Directed by: Pete Travis
Music by: Atli Orvarsson
Written by: Barry L. Levy
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 1, 2008

"8 strangers. 8 points of view. 1 truth"

Film Synopsis:

During an historic counter-terrorism summit in Spain, the President of the United States is struck down by an assassin's bullet. Eight strangers have a perfect view of the kill, but what did they really see? As the minutes leading up to the fatal shot are replayed through the eyes of each eyewitness, the reality of the assassination takes shape. But just when you think you know the answer, the shattering final truth is revealed. VANTAGE POINT is a mindbending political action-thriller starring Dennis Quaid, Matthew Fox, Academy Award® Winner Forest Whitaker (Best Actor 2006, The Last King of Scotland), with Sigourney Weaver and Academy Award® winner William Hurt (Best Actor 1985, Kiss of the Spider Woman).

attachment.php?attachmentid=114204&d=1214779728

My Take:

I have been itching to see Vantage Point since I first the trailer for it at the movies late last year. It had a great looking plot and a stellar cast. I didn’t get around to catching it in the theater and looked forward to its release on Blu-ray Disc. After watching it I felt that it was not all that I was expecting. The problem didn’t lie in the performances but in the story. The premise wasn’t new but I was aware of that and certainly would not hold that against it. I liked the way it opened and immediately set up how it was going to tell the story. A single event was going to be laid out from 8 perspectives, which were obviously similar, with each adding a new piece of a puzzle. The first two acts of the film did a very nice job in building the tension and a bit of suspense. The problem came in the third act when it came to reveal what was really happening, why, and who was behind it. The first problem I had was that the ’why’ is never explained as far was the involvement of all of the participants. I don’t know much about the running of the Secret Service but I can tell you that what transpired in the film would never happen. The ending was less than satisfying and seemed way too tidy based upon how things began. For the most part I felt entertained and enjoyed the first two thirds of Vantage Point. I just wish the screenplay had dug a little deeper and allowed the stories potential to be realized.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of intense violence and action, some disturbing images and brief strong language. Parents should be cautioned that there are images of people either dying or dead which might frighten younger viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

attachment.php?attachmentid=114205&d=1214779728

Vantage Point comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video with an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound with an average bitrate of 1.6 mbps.

After seeing the trailer for Vantage Point I had high expectations for its high definition video quality. I am happy to report that they were met as this is a reference quality transfer that simply looks superb. Much of the film is shot outdoors in large sunbathed areas that contain winding streets, older buildings and structures that are loaded with visual texture and intricacies that can look revealing in high definition. There are several interior sequences shot within various vehicles, hotels, and a darkened parking garage. From every perspective detail is simply exquisite. Images are three dimensional with an extended depth of field that made resolution feel almost infinite. Textures were clearly defined with razor sharp lines and persistence of form. Colors were vibrant, punchy and visually enriching. Primaries were slightly over saturated but didn’t look unnatural as a result. Complexions among the varying skin tones of the cast members were reproduced with subtle delineation and beautiful tonality. Those with fairer skin looked a little on the pasty side with a hint toward red but lively just the same. Contrast levels were elevated but not to the point of interfering with video quality or white detail perception. It gave the video a punchy and vibrant overtone which I found pleasing. Blacks were solid and looked dynamic enough when viewed with mixed content. Detail in shadows and dark areas onscreen displayed good visible structure and depth. An example of this was in a scene when Dennis Quaid’s character runs in to a network news trailer looking for video footage just after the shooting. As the camera’s point of view is angled looking up toward him detail is clearly visible in the dark wall and ceiling behind him. This is a whistle clean video transfer that features plenty of eye candy that videophiles are sure to appreciate.

The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack offered dynamic range and crystal clear audio that augmented the heightened sense of tension contained within the film’s thematic elements. It blended the front three channels seamlessly with the surrounds to re-create the sounds of the open aired venue where the shooting takes place in the story. The feeling of panic as people are running and screaming to take cover placed you right in the middle of the action. The same was true of quieter moments such as the feeling of riding in a moving vehicle or sitting in a crowded restaurant. The mix successfully created a sound field the carried the multitude of audio effects perfectly placed in the atmosphere being portrayed onscreen. Bass contained within the mix was deep with excellent solidity and impact as it helped reproduce the feeling of crashing cars, explosions and gunfire. Dialogue was clear and concise throughout but felt like it blended in and could have louder during some of the busier action sequences. Overall this is a great soundtrack that provided an invigorating experience that mated perfectly with the source material.

attachment.php?attachmentid=114207&d=1214779828

Bonus Features:

The bonus supplements included offer good insightful information from the cast/crew as they discuss the film and production. The Inside perspective and Plotting an assassination pieces offer essentially the same information in rehashed forms. As a whole I found them to good but not overly informative from a production standpoint. The coordinating chaos features looks at the stunts utilized in the film. Total time for the three documentaries is just under 50 minutes. The Vantage Viewer GPS tracker option once enabled in the features menu allows you to track the onscreen movements of each character throughout the film’s overlapping timeline. It is a pretty cool feature that worked as advertised although I am not sure that it is something that would want to use your first time watching the movie. The BD-Live features requires an internet connection and a Profile 2.0 player for access. There are two additional features that are in standard definition and have to be downloaded prior to viewing. Only the Trick geography piece was enabled when I tried it. It took roughly 8 minutes to download and another 2 to 3 minutes to begin playback. It was a short feature ( 6 minutes) that was mildly interesting. There were several other BD-Live features that were visible but not enabled yet. I suspect that all will be up and running by release time.

• Director Commentary

• (HD)An inside perspective: Featurette

• (HD)Plotting an assassination: Featurette

• Coordinating chaos: Featurette

• Surveillance tapes

• Vantage viewer - GPS map tracker feature

• Exclusive Blu-ray Disc (BD-Live) Features:

• Trick geography: See how Salamanca Spain was recreated in Mexico City

• Enhancing the view: The visual effects team discusses how they created the crowd scenes.

• Play virtual 21 Blackjack game (advertisement for “21” Blu-ray Disc)

• In the line of fire Blu-ray Disc trailer
attachment.php?attachmentid=114206&d=1214779728

Final Thoughts:

Vantage Point is an above average action based thriller that succeeds at building good moments of tension/suspense sprinkled with excellent pacing and action sequences. The problem is that the last 20 minutes of the film and the ending is a bit of a letdown. Regardless it has enough going for it that most viewers should find it entertaining. Sony has delivered it to Blu-ray Disc day and date with the DVD in a splendid package that features stellar video and excellent audio quality along with bonus features that include Blu-ray Disc Live content. I waited to see this film on Blu-ray Disc and when all was said and done I felt as though it was worth it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW50 SXRD 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Hey Ralph!
Great review!
When did you start doing reviews over here?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Hey Ralph!
Great review!
When did you start doing reviews over here?

Greetings,

Thanks Aaron! I left the Spot in early May...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Once again, Ralph is spot-on. This title really is demo material for the picture quality alone. Easily one of the finest BD's I have ever watched.

Ralph, did you have any issue with the Pop-up menu? On my PS3 it manged to "pop-up" twice when the remote was clearly on the table. I thought maybe the batteries were starting to go, but Ive watched two BDs since then and none of the titles had this issue.
post #5 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Once again, Ralph is spot-on. This title really is demo material for the picture quality alone. Easily one of the finest BD's I have ever watched.

Ralph, did you have any issue with the Pop-up menu? On my PS3 it manged to "pop-up" twice when the remote was clearly on the table. I thought maybe the batteries were starting to go, but Ive watched two BDs since then and none of the titles had this issue.

Greetings,

No problems with the pop-up menu on my Panasonic BD-30 GizmoDVD.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

No problems with the pop-up menu on my Panasonic BD-30 GizmoDVD.

Cheers,

Hmm. Ok. Maybe its just my batteries then. Thanks for the quick response Ralph!
post #7 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks Ralph. Concurs with the dvdbeaver review on the Video front.

Blu-ray : 340
post #8 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why do all the throw away movies have awesome vid?
Vantage Point, Spartans look fantastic. Then you have movies on the the end of the spectrum like GONY that look awful.
Stupid HD irony.

I'll stay away from this one and just stick to the TDK prologue for video demo.

Thanks for the review Ralph.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #9 of 41 Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks for the excellent review Ralph. I also missed this feature when it played at the theaters. I planned to cancel my preorder today after it was panned on the Ebert and Roeper show. However, I've decided to buy Vantage Point after reading your review. It also helps that I have it preordered for $17.
post #10 of 41 Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 AM

Thanks Ralph, I always enjoy reading your reviews.
post #11 of 41 Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Great review Ralph. The movie started well and completely fizzled out. A total let down. People in the theater were moaning during the last 4 resets.
post #12 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

On its way from Nextflix and hopefully I'll get it so I can watch it tonight. Better than watching the Mets or Yankees!

Glad to read good things about the PQ and AQ. Saw it in the movie theater so I'm fully aware of the film content.
post #13 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Great review. I just received a copy of the Blu-ray through Blockbuster and will watch this sometime in the next few days. I too saw the trailer for this and thought the quality of it was spot on and couldn't wait for the Blu-ray release. Its great to hear that this got such high scores for video quality.
post #14 of 41 Old 07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

I just finished watching this title. I enjoyed it. It was much better than I expected.

The PQ and high frequency detail were sumptuous. You could make a party game out of counting the pores on the actor’s faces.

Kudos to Sony for such a great looking transfer.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
post #15 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually liked the content better in my second go for this movie viewing it last night. I'll also vouch for the PQ and AQ. One can do much much worse!
post #16 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Glad to hear that you guys enjoyed the experience..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

BTW am I the only one here that thought Forest Whitaker's character almost stole the movie? What an amazing actor IMHO.

post #18 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

BTW am I the only one here that thought Forest Whitaker's character almost stole the movie? What an amazing actor IMHO.

Greetings,

He is an excellent actor indeed and was definitely the standout in this one.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

BTW am I the only one here that thought Forest Whitaker’s character almost stole the movie? What an amazing actor IMHO.

Hmmm... I actually thought he over-acted in this one. I think he is a great actor, but the looks of fascination and bewilderment (ad nauseum) when he entered the square was a bit much (imho).
post #20 of 41 Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

This was a great movie. I give it 4.5/5 and the picture quality was absolutely stunning. This is one of the better efforts from Sony in recent memory in my opinion. Some of their releases have been a little disappointing as far as picture quality is concerned, but Vantage Point was spot on. This film is actually one of the better looking releases on Blu-ray this year in my opinion.
post #21 of 41 Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just watched this tonight and I have to concur about the picture quality, it is flawless!! A beautiful presentation.

Oddly enough, I was slightly underwhelmed by the audio?
post #22 of 41 Old 07-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Why do all the throw away movies have awesome vid?
Vantage Point, Spartans look fantastic. Then you have movies on the the end of the spectrum like GONY that look awful.
Stupid HD irony.

I'll stay away from this one and just stick to the TDK prologue for video demo.

Throw away? That's your opinion, but I could easily say that about some of the films you post about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

..I give it 4.5/5 and the picture quality was absolutely stunning. This is one of the better efforts from Sony in recent memory in my opinion

I agree. It's one of Sony's best transfers that I've seen yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

I just watched this tonight and I have to concur about the picture quality, it is flawless!! A beautiful presentation.

Oddly enough, I was slightly underwhelmed by the audio?

I actually felt the same about the audio.

post #23 of 41 Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The audio I was a bit disappointed in. I do not have a high end receiver that decodes all the new high res audio tracks, but I can tell a difference with the audio on Blu-ray discs compared to DVD's quite a bit with some movies on my Yamaha receiver that is about 5 years old. This movie I had to crank the volume up quite a bit to get a decent sound. For some reason, a lot of movies that have Dolby True HD audio tracks I find disappointing. I don't know what it is. The best I have heard by far are the movies with a DTS-HD track. The audio packs quite a punch with DTS-HD. This would have been a good choice for Vantage Point.
post #24 of 41 Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

At least the explosion sounded the same each and every time, very weak!

Have to agree I was disappointed with the audio overall. Lots of scenes in this movie should shake my room!
post #25 of 41 Old 07-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I guess the complaint i'd have to make about the audio is the lack of clarity. Don't get me wrong there was lots of bombast to the soundtrack, it just felt a little less than other lossless tracks i've heard as far as fidelity.
post #26 of 41 Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

I guess the complaint i'd have to make about the audio is the lack of clarity. Don't get me wrong there was lots of bombast to the soundtrack, it just felt a little less than other lossless tracks i've heard as far as fidelity.

Just finished watching. The audio was excellent. Plenty of clarity.
post #27 of 41 Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

At least the explosion sounded the same each and every time, very weak!

Have to agree I was disappointed with the audio overall. Lots of scenes in this movie should shake my room!

Weak??? The sound of the explosions sounded the same and that was weak? I had no problem with the sound of the explosions. Maybe I'm just an average joe who likes to sit back and enjoy a movie that was quite entertaining and sounded excellent. Add superb PQ and I had a great time watching this movie.
post #28 of 41 Old 07-05-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post

People in the theater were moaning during the last 4 resets.

I don't believe this unless the audience consisted of only critics and AVSers who have lost the ability to simply sit back and enjoy a movie even if it isn't perfect in every way.

Very good movie. Entertaining action flick. Good sound. I'm looking forward to watching it again.
post #29 of 41 Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
the pq was good but i say along with the other people the sound quality was average at best. also have to add not a very good movie
post #30 of 41 Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

The area where I felt the sound was lacking was in the area of dialogue reproduction. Being a thriller rather than an action film I didn't expect a bombastic soundtrack and it wasn't. Of course that is not a prerequisite for good quality audio.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Vantage Point Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Vantage by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page