Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2005
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 122 Minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MPEG-4 (AVC)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish/Thai Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English,English SDH,, Spanish, Korean, French, Portuguese, Bahasa, Thai, Chinese
Starring: Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson, Campbell Scott, Jennifer Carpenter
Directed by: Scott Derrickson
Music by: Christopher Young
Written by: Paul Harris Boardman & Scott Derrickson
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 22, 2008

"Based on a true story"

Film Synopsis:

Emily Rose (Jennifer Carpenter, White Chicks) was an average teenage girl who was the target of terrifying demonic forces that would ultimately shock a town and torment her soul. But was she, as many believed, possessed? In an attempt to clear the clergymen who exorcised Emily, a skeptical attorney (Linney) awakens to the discovery that powerful spiritual forces may actually exist. This harrowing film unfolds like a recurring nightmare form which there is no waking.

My Take:

I have to tell you that I am not a fan of horror movies about demonic possession. I remember when The exorcism of Emily Rose was released in theaters and the trailer was being show regularly on television. I had no interest in seeing it and had not prior to this review. The problem for me is that I find the subject matter disturbing. After watching this one my feelings have not changed in that regard. I thought that this was a good scary movie and liked how it was told through a series of flashbacks. Jennifer Carpenter was strong in the title role as she gave a chilling performance. The remainder of the cast which included Laura Linney, Tom Wilkinson and Campbell Scott all supported her performance in excellent fashion. The fact that it is based upon a true story made it all the more eerie although I am not certain to what extent liberties were taken to make it more screen worthy. The makeup and special effects were well done and didn’t go overboard in order to attempt to make Emily’s transformation excessively gruesome. This is a suspenseful and sometimes frightening film that is definitely a solid addition to the genre. I can’t speak for everyone but for me it was an experience that I won’t need to have again.

Parental Guide:

This unrated version contains frightening images and brief violence that would not be suitable for some viewers. Parental discretion is in order.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

The exorcism of Emily rose comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.6 mbps.

This was a well balanced audio/video presentation that delivered the goods. Video quality was clean with lots of visible detail so that images were crisp with excellent depth and clarity. Black levels were respectable as they appeared deep while exhibiting plenty of visible gradation. Shadow detail was rendered with excellent dimensionality and delineation in all but a few instances where it varied depending on the camera perspective. The color palette was not extensive but those used looked great with no signs of blooming or oversaturated tones. The lossless audio mix aptly brought out the chilling nature of the soundtrack with stark realism. I had no trouble discerning the differences in the various voice effects and sounds as Emily battled the raging forces inside of her. The subwoofer was kept busy as it worked in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the low frequency and dynamic impact during the struggle in the barn during the exorcism sequence. This engaging and sometimes turbulent soundtrack definitely adds to the overall effect of this film. I found it to be excellent overall and appreciated its attention to detail and lack of ostentatious.

Bonus Features:

The bonus features contained on this Blu-ray Disc are the same as those on the 2005 DVD releases. They offer background on the original story and how it was obtained by Writer/Director Scott Derrickson as well as features on the headlining cast members and film’s visual design. The Genesis piece was the best of the three as it offered some interesting information on the story and production. The commentary was also quite good and had plenty of insights to offer from Director Scott Derrickson. None of the bonus content was offered high definition (bummer). The disc indicates that there are BD Live features however I was unable to locate the option in the disc menu.

• Director’s Commentary

• Genesis of the story - Featurette

• Casting the movie - Featurette

• Visual design - Featurette

• Deleted scene with optional Director’s Commentary

Final Thoughts:

Fans of The exorcism of Emily Rose are sure to be pleased with it’s debut on high definition Blu-ray Disc. Sony has consistently hit the mark with solid audio/video presentations on their catalog title releases and this one continues in that vein. This is not my kind of movie but I can appreciate its value and can recommend it for those who may be interested.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Sony VPL-VW50 SXRD 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
when does it release in the US?
lol sorry just saw the release date section
post #3 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have had the UK version of this for a couple of months and agree with the audio/video assessment. My wife felt your sentiments about the movie itself, Ralph. She asked me why I would ever watch it again. I guess I enjoy well made movies and this is definitely a well made movie.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I liked this movie, but don't think I could watch it again except maybe on a slow rental day. But if I can find it cheap enough, I may get it for my 10th Month Horror Marathon.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #5 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 01:47 PM

Liked: 10
I don't know why but when i watched this movie alone on SD ( unrated version ) I actually felt scared and it's unusual for me to feel scared by modern day horror so i have to say this is a really good movie...It was late and no lights were on and the room was pitch dark so maybe that helped.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, creepy as heck. It makes you want to never wake up at 3am eh?
post #7 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

I already knew the story of the German girl it was based on ( they twisted things for the movie )

I think it just had atmosphere and i let my imagination go.....It's one of those movies you need to watch in the dark. Movies like this and The Exorcist tend to give more chills than your typical horror effects movie.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ralph,

Are the subtitles for the words she speaks in the picture or black bars? I haven't seen this film just the trailer on netflix that shows subtitles.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #9 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ralph,

Did you find the BDlive option anywhere on the disc?
post #10 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Ralph,

Are the subtitles for the words she speaks in the picture or black bars? I haven't seen this film just the trailer on netflix that shows subtitles.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Tom

Greetings,

Tom, there were no subtitles for the words she spoke.

GizmoDVD, I was not able to locate them in the disc menu even though the back of the case indicates that there are BD Live features. I have updated the review and included the BD Live info under the Bonus features section. Thanks!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the quick response Ralph. I was mistaken about that netflix trailer and meant to say the Ebert and Roeper TV review I watched www.ebertandroeper.tv

When Emily speaks to the Priest,I believe in Latin, there are subtitles for both of their words. Weird

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #12 of 18 Old 07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Tom, there were no subtitles for the words she spoke.

GizmoDVD, Yes, the BD Live option is there but not enabled yet. I have updated the review and included the BD Live info under the Bonus features section. I had it in my notes but forgot to include that. Thanks!

Cheers,

Ralph,

Where on the disc is the BD-Live option? I looked through all the settings (audio, special features etc,) possible and could not even find the BD-Live icon (unlike Urban Legends which was present in the Special Feature section).
post #13 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Ralph,

Where on the disc is the BD-Live option? I looked through all the settings (audio, special features etc,) possible and could not even find the BD-Live icon (unlike Urban Legends which was present in the Special Feature section).

Greetings,

Giz, the option was no where to be found. My apologies for the earlier confusion as I was referring to "I know what you did last summer" rather than Emily Rose.

I have updated my earlier responses and the review.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 18 Old 07-17-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Ralph,

Thanks! I am not crazy then! I looked for over 10 minutes and could not find the option.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

I've watched so many horror films in my life and have become so accustomed to their techniques that I'm basically never frightened by them anymore, even the more atmospheric ones. However, I saw this film in the cinema and it was so well made that I was sleepless for a week later. On the first night I even woke up around 3am because it had entered my subconscious thought and basically made me completely paranoid! It was like being a little kid trying to sleep on Halloween, head tight against the pillow. This is one of the best films that I will never buy because I can't put myself through that again, my girlfriend thinks I'm a wimp
post #16 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 07:17 AM

Is this movie out now because i cant find it anywhere.I live in a small city.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Ralph,
I am the Re-Recording Mixer on Emily Rose'. I want to thank you for your review of the Movie and especially your review of my work on it. I mixed the Dialog and Music on the Feature. It was a great session to be on as both the client and the sound elements made for a very special collaboration.
It was truly a highlight in my long career.
Please keep up the great reviews!
Take care,
Marti D. Humphrey CAS
post #18 of 18 Old 09-02-2008, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post

Ralph,
I am the Re-Recording Mixer on Emily Rose'. I want to thank you for your review of the Movie and especially your review of my work on it. I mixed the Dialog and Music on the Feature. It was a great session to be on as both the client and the sound elements made for a very special collaboration.
It was truly a highlight in my long career.
Please keep up the great reviews!
Take care,
Marti D. Humphrey CAS

Greetings,

Thanks for your great work Marti..!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews