Studio and Year: Paramount - 2002
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 123 Minutes
Genre: Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MPEG-4 (AVC)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Ben Affleck, Morgan Freeman, James Cromwell, Bridget Moynihan, Live Schriber, Alan Bates,
Directed by: Phil Alden Anderson
Music by: Jerry Goldsmith
Written by: Paul Attanasio & Daniel Pyne based upon the novel by Tom Clancy
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 29, 2008

"27,000 Nuclear Weapons. One is missing"

Film Synopsis:

Ben Affleck is ready for action, commanding the role of CIA agent Jack Ryan in this thrilling adventure based on the Tom Clancy bestseller. America's Cold War fears are rekindled after the President of Russia dies and is succeeded by a man with a cryptic past. But East-West tensions erupt when the CIA suspects that renegade Russian scientists are developing more nuclear weapons. Mobilized into action by CIA Director William Cabot (Morgan Freeman), Jack Ryan (Affleck) follows a danger-ridden trail to a shocking conclusion: terrorists plan to provoke a war between the U.S. and Russia - by detonating a nuclear bomb at a championship football game! Costarring James Cromwell and Liev Schreiber, The Sum of All Fears adds up to the year's most explosive entertainment.

My Take:

I saw The sum of all fears when it was first released on DVD and remember liking it. I can’t say that Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan is palatable however the film on its own offers a decent script, solid casting and good special effects. I don’t think that starting over with Ryan as a young CIA analyst really worked but seeing as Harrison Ford opted out of the project I can see where a new direction was needed. Affleck was available and the script had to be re-worked which is where the concept of a younger Jack Ryan came from. For me it seemed like it had little to do with Jack Ryan other than the character’s name. Since I have not read the novel that is how I tried to approach the film. After watching it for a second time I found that I still liked it. There were lots of familiar character actors who as a whole lent an air of credibility to the cast. The main players, Freeman, Cromwell, Schreiber, and Hinds were all quite good in their respective roles. I think Ben Affleck is okay but don’t consider him to be a particularly good actor. He seems to know his limitations and rarely works outside of them. This is a fun film that is fairly predictable but has enough of the right ingredients to make it entertaining none the less.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, disaster images, and brief strong language. The rating is on the mark which would make this one no problem for viewers 13 and older.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

The sum of all fears comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.4 mbps.

The video presentation was reminiscent of a fairly newer film and looked good overall. Resolution was solid enough that detail was rendered well in most respects. I was able to clearly see the texture of fabrics and on the surfaces of objects. This was sometimes dependent on the shot because there were times where the visible level of detail waned. This was not occurring consistently but when it did it lessened dimensional perspective. Detail within the backgrounds and dark areas during the various low lighting sequences in the film was revealing of good visible structure and depth of field. Blacks were contrast rich and deep with plenty of dynamic range. Colors were cleanly reproduced with vivid textures and slight over saturation in the primaries. Fleshtones leaned toward red which gave the impression of excessive sun exposure on the medium skin complexions among the cast. This was less evident on lighter and darker skin tones. Grain was present and more evident in low light but didn’t impede detail perception. I noticed some low level noise on the White House in background during the last scene in the film. It was minor/brief and I can’t say for sure what it was attributable to. There appears to be signs of artificial sharpening which sometimes gave the video a harder edge. I didn't notice any excessive ringing though. Other than that I didn’t notice any signs of compression related anomalies or video artifacts.

Like the video the audio presentation was about what I expected from a newer digital movie soundtrack. It’s funny but the one aspect about this film that stood out in my mind from memory was the impact of the nuclear explosion that takes place in the second act. I remember thinking that it sounded pretty good on DVD. Well the high dynamic quality inherent in lossless audio breathed new life into that scene and it sounded excellent. The detonation hit quick and with visceral impact that was authoritative and potent. The sounds of crashing vehicles, breaking glass, showering debris and swirling winds filled the room sound that emanated from every direction. Bass was produced with clean, tight and relatively deep extension that resonated with tactile feeling. I wouldn’t classify this as an aggressive surround mix but it had an aggressive nature at times that was rewarding. Sound effects were rendered with clear articulation and accurate placement within the sound field. Dialogue was distinct in clarity and open in its presentation which made voices easily recognizable. I was pleased with the track’s ability to clearly render the subtle as well as the boisterous elements present in the recording. I think that the audio and video struck a very nice balance which made it all the more enjoyable.

Bonus Features:

The bonus supplements are the same ones offered on the 2003 DVD release. There are two audio commentary tracks both of which are fairly interesting. The second track which features Tom Clancy and Director Phil Robinson is the better of the two. The making of feature piece is broken down into two segments. One discusses the casting for the film and the other discusses how the film was developed, entered production and shot. Together these totaled approximately 30 minutes and offered behind the scenes footage, cast interviews and insights from the production team. The creating reality piece takes a look at the visual effects used to create 5 sequences used in the film. The theatrical trailer (in high definition) rounded things out.

• Audio Commentary with Director Phil Alden Anderson and Cinematographer John Lindley

• Audio Commentary with Director Phil Alden Anderson and novelist Tom Clancy

• The making of The sum of all fears: Cautionary Tales – Production - Casting

• Creating Reality: The visual effects of The sum of all fears

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts:

The sum of all fears is the weakest of the Jack Ryan films but it is certainly not a bad movie. Personally I like the casting, special effects and story line which has enough going for it to keep it entertaining for the films 2 hour runtime. Its introduction to high definition Blu-ray Disc includes solid audio/video quality as well as the bonus package contained on the original DVD release. Additional Blu-ray capable features would have been nice and perhaps in Paramount will utilize those capabilities on future title releases.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the HDDVD version of this movie and it has been widely panned for its poor PQ. Is the BD version from the same master?

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #3 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I have the HDDVD version of this movie and it has been widely panned for its poor PQ. Is the BD version from the same master?

Greetings,

I couldn't say. What were the complaints regarding PQ?

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #4 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Heavy DNR
post #5 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Martin View Post

Heavy DNR

Some of the screen shots at DVD beaver show some EE and some pasty faces.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

Some of the screen shots at DVD beaver show some EE and some pasty faces.

Greetings,

It looks like he pretty much saw what I saw. The only pasty face belonged to the older gentlemen in one of the last captures (unfortunately that is what he looks like). As I stated there is the appearance of artificial sharpening but I didn't detect an excessive ringing or edge halos.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Video rating is way too high for this junk. EE, DNR, and dithery noise. Very similar to Mission: Impossible.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

It looks like he pretty much saw what I saw. The only pasty face belonged to the older gentlemen in one of the last captures (unfortunately that is what he looks like). As I stated there is the appearance of artificial sharpening but I didn't detect an excessive ringing or edge halos.

Cheers,

Ha, so that poor old man really looks like death!
post #9 of 22 Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

I would really love to have a copy of the Blu-Ray version to compare to my HD DVD version. I know this film got slammed when it came to PQ.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The picture on this one is atrocious. Some of the worst DNR since Pan's Labyrinth.

But here its getting good marks for having zero grain, yet The Counterfeiters, preserving all the original grain, gets low marks...
post #11 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

The picture on this one is atrocious. Some of the worst DNR since Pan's Labyrinth.

But here its getting good marks for having zero grain, yet The Counterfeiters, preserving all the original grain, gets low marks...

Greetings,

I assume that you have seen this and are not referring to the HD DVD version. You are entitled to your own opinion regarding the quality of the video. I would appreciate it if you didn't misquote me. My comments regarding grain were:

"Grain was present and more evident in low light but didn’t impede detail perception."

I would advise that you actually see The Counterfeiters before commenting on its preservation of "original grain". I have no problem with film grain. In that case it's application was simply too heavy at times.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #12 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

"Grain was present and more evident in low light but didn’t impede detail perception."

But what did you mean by `didn't impede detail perception`? In motion pictures (film) grain is detail.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC View Post

But what did you mean by `didn't impede detail perception`? In motion pictures (film) grain is detail.

Greetings,

Alex, sometimes heavy grain can obscure fine detail within the image. The grain itself is easily perceptable but if the grain is too large it makes the smaller intricacies that may be present harder to see. This is not necessarily always the case in films that use larger/heavy grain. Mission impossible 3 and Black Hawk down are two films that come to mind. I think that grain was preserved very well on both of these video presentations which exhibited excellent clarity and detail.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #14 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 07:23 AM

Ralph,
Been meaning to drop you a note just to let you know how much I appreciate your reviews of these movies. Your format is very well laid out and it's clear you always try to be as objective as possible. I've come to appreciate your reviews more than most.

BTW: (off topic) I see you got a new projector, very nice. How do you compare this to your Sony?

Rusty

"The next best thing to knowing something is knowing where to find it. "
post #15 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyWatkins View Post

Ralph,
Been meaning to drop you a note just to let you know how much I appreciate your reviews of these movies. Your format is very well laid out and it's clear you always try to be as objective as possible. I've come to appreciate your reviews more than most.

BTW: (off topic) I see you got a new projector, very nice. How do you compare this to your Sony?

Rusty

Greetings,

Thanks Rusty, I appreciate your comments. The Sony is a great projector and it served me very well. The JVC betters it in terms of brightness, sharpness and contrast. The first two are by a slim margin but the blacks are notably better.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #16 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Ralph, how big is the viewing distance from your screen?
post #17 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Ralph, how big is the viewing distance from your screen?

Greetings,

Kram, I sit appromately 15 feet..

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #18 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

So 15' or 180" away from a 96" diagonal screen? Let's see... Friggin math. Something isn't right. That should be within 1.5-2 screen widths away. How did you not throw up while watching this disc and Gangs of New York?
post #19 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

So 15' or 180" away from a 96" diagonal screen? Let's see... Friggin math. Something isn't right. How did you not throw up while watching this disc and Gangs of New York?

Greetings,

I muddled through somehow Kram..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #20 of 22 Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Just finished watching this and glad I purchased it. Not sure what all the fuss is about because it looked pretty darn good on my SXRD. Definitely a big improvement over the dvd. I can't comment on the audio aspect right now, as my Outlaw 990 is on a vacation to the Outlaw hospital, but as soon as it comes home I'll re-watch and experience the audio.

Oh, and the pasty faced old man at the end. For UK readers, he plays Ted on Coronation Street (Gail Platt's long lost gay father who suddenly turned up a few months ago).
post #21 of 22 Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

I already posted this problem in the Blu-Ray player forum for the S350 but I thought I would also post it hear since it is specific to "The Sum of All Fears" disc.

I picked up "The Sum of All Fears" yesterday morning.

I thought it was strange that no English translations were appearing on the screen when the characters were speaking Russian. An example in the hospital scene at the beginning of chapter 7. The only way I could get the translations to appear was to enable English subtitles on the S350 which meant subtitles were on all of the time.

I tried the disc in my PS3 and the English translations were appearing on the screen when the characters were speaking Russian with the subtitles turned off.

I tried other discs in the S350 that have English translations displayed with subtitles off and they worked fine (Independence Day and Kingdom of Heaven).

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I have my S350 connected via HDMI to my Sony KDL26S3000.

Thanks,

Bob
post #22 of 22 Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched this Blu-ray recently and the video wasn't nearly as bad as some suggest. In fact I thought it was pretty good and would almost give it a 4 out of 5.

Please feel free to visit
or follow my NEWS feed on
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page