Feature running time: 104 Minutes
Genre: Drama/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MPEG-4 (AVC)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, English SDH
Starring: Stephen Dorff, Harold Perrineau, Marisol Nichols, Anne Archer, Val Kilmer, Nick Chinlund, Sam Shepard
Written & Directed by: Ric Roman Waugh
Music by: Gerhard Daum
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 12, 2008

"No rules, no hope, no way out"

Film Synopsis:

A loving family man with a promising future, Wade Porter (Stephen Dorff) suddenly loses everything when he accidentally kills the burglar who broke into his home. Convicted of involuntary manslaughter, Wade is sentenced to spend the next three years inside a maximum security facility where the rules of society no longer apply. Forced to share a cell with a notorious mass murderer (Val Kilmer) and subjected to brutal beatings orchestrated by the sadistic head prison guard (Harold Perrineau), Wade soon realizes he's in for the fight of his life and must become the toughest FELON of them all if he's to survive the block. For what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger. And in state prison, only the strongest will survive.

My Take:

Felon was an interesting film. I thought that writer/director Ric Roman Waugh did a very nice job in making every attempt to ensure that prison life was depicted with as much realism as possible. I can't say for certain that every aspect was true to life but it painted a pretty imposing portrait. The games played by the guards is something that was exaggerated (quite a bit I'm sure) but the depiction of the gangs, factions and what is required to survive come off well. He says that he spent two years doing the research for the film and in fact used ex-convicts in the scenes that took place in the yard. The story itself is not unlike something that could happen to anyone. Here is a hard working guy, Wade Porter (Dorff) who has never been in trouble and finds himself face to face with a burglar in his home in the middle of the night. He confronts the burglar who turns and runs out the front door with Porter's wallet in hand. Porter who has armed himself with a baseball bat (yeah I know cliché) chases him into the front yard where the burglar seems to be reaching for something. Porter attempts to strike him in the back with the bat but accidentally ends up hitting him in the head killing him. He is arrested for Murder and ultimately agrees to a plea to a lesser charge of Manslaughter (which in reality should have been the original charge). The problem arises because he pursed the burglar outside of the house and then physically confronted him using deadly force. Had this occurred while the burglar was still in the confines of the house there would have been no problem.

The film quickly establishes its characters and moves on to the events that set up the film's central plotline. What can happen to an average person when they are faced with survival in the far too different world of our prison system. Val Kilmer is not as young as he used to be but I thought he gave a strong performance as inmate John Smith. Stephen Dorff was well cast as Wade Porter and gave a fine performance as well. The rest of the cast did a credible job in support of the leads. It was refreshing to see Nick Chinlund not playing the heavy for a change. I thought Harold Perrineau was okay but tried a bit too hard as LT. Jackson (the heavy). Of the recent films that I have seen that have gone direct to DVD this was by far the best.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brutal violence, pervasive language and brief nudity. Not one for younger viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Felon comes to Blu-ray from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video with an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.5 mbps.

The high resolution Dolby TrueHD audio presentation did a nice job rendering the film's soundtrack. Dialogue had excellent intonation and clarity which made subtle tonal differences in the voices of the cast perceptible. This was a more front heavy presentation that made good use of the left, right and center channels. It wasn't overly dynamic but the audio had an open expression that allowed it to extend well into the room. Surround activity was reserved primarily for ambience with occasional discrete sounds mixed in. The LFE channel was frequently active and reproduced the film's music and lower bass frequencies with deep impact and fair tactility.

The video had a grainy texture which I would describe as moderate in depth. It appeared well preserved and didn't negatively impact fidelity. Images were rendered with well articulated detail that allowed the fine and minute portions within the image to be appreciated. The camera work included some close up shots of the actors that benefited from this and looked incredible in high definition. Not every shot maintained razor sharp image penetration which caused them to appear less defined and a little softer. Colors were matched well and avoided the use of bolder textures. They looked natural with solid tonal balance and exhibited no signs of smearing or excessive over saturation. Flesh tones were spot on and looked excellent. Shadow detail revealed good visible structure in dark areas and low lighting.

Bonus Features:

The only bonus feature is a 13 minute making of documentary. It was actually quite good and gives writer/director Ric Roman Waugh the opportunity to expound on the film's background and production elements. Several cast/crew interviews are included as well.

• (HD) The shark tank: An inside look at Felon - featurette

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=116551&d=1218474190

Final Thoughts:

Felon is a film that carries a message to all of us. Prison is not the place that you want to go, period. Writer/Director Ric Roman Waugh has done a good job in re-creating a glimpse of the atmosphere that can exist on the inside. The film features strong performances from the cast and powerful visuals. Sony has delivered it to high definition Blu-ray Disc for release day and date with DVD. It is technically competent, light in the area of bonus material and easily worth a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Much better movie than I had expected.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 AM

Liked: 10
I loved this movie, it was way better than i anticipated
post #4 of 7 Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_ View Post

I loved this movie, it was way better than i anticipated

Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 7 Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
We watched Felon last night - but there was something way wrong with the sound. This is the first BluRay, or DVD for that matter, that did not sound excellent on our new system - about 3 months old.

We could not hear the voices, and the bass was about 3 to 4 times stronger then it needed to be. I reduced the bass volume by 70% so we could watch the movie. Also the rear surround was about 3 times "more" than what was needed.

The sound problems made it very hard to watch the movie.

I will spend the next few days trying to figure out what is wrong, and will most likely run Audyssey next week to re-balance the sytem.

The "previews" on the disc were the same way, we could not hear the voices?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-08-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

We watched Felon last night - but there was something way wrong with the sound. This is the first BluRay, or DVD for that matter, that did not sound excellent on our new system - about 3 months old.

We could not hear the voices, and the bass was about 3 to 4 times stronger then it needed to be. I reduced the bass volume by 70% so we could watch the movie. Also the rear surround was about 3 times "more" than what was needed.

The sound problems made it very hard to watch the movie.

I will spend the next few days trying to figure out what is wrong, and will most likely run Audyssey next week to re-balance the sytem.

The "previews" on the disc we the same way, we could not hear the voices?

Greetings,

I didn't have any problems with it. Sorry to hear that...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 7 Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Today we watched “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” and “Hidalgo”. The sound was excellent on both of them. One of those was DTS HD MA, and the other was regular Dolby Digital 5.1. The previews also played correctly on those two.

Wonder if the “Felon” copy we got was a counterfeit?

I will "retune" my system next week, since we do have about 400 hours on the new AVR and speakers.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page