Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best Of Both Worlds Concert (Blu-ray) AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-14-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
attachment.php?attachmentid=116023&d=1216991110
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 2007
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 82 Minutes
Genre: Concert film

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English uncompressed 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, Billy Ray Cyrus
Directed by: Bruce Hendricks
Music by: N/A
Written by: N/A
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 19, 2008

"Two times the talent, two times the fun"

Film Synopsis:

The sold-out concert event that rocked the nation is bursting onto Disney DVD and Blu-ray Disc for a limited time only in a two-disc extended edition with a 3-D concert experience so real it's like having a backstage pass! "Make Some Noise" and get ready for the year's most eye-popping dance-in-your-seat music experience with HANNAH MONTANA & MILEY CYRUS BEST OF BOTH WORLDS CONCERT MOVIE! For the first time ever Miley performs as herself and Hannah in the same epic show! With a special appearance by the Jonas Brothers and exclusive bonus features including a sing-along mode additional songs and a rare inside look into the rock star lives of Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers.

My Take:

I know very little about Hanna Montana and Miley Cyrus other than one plays the other on a Disney channel TV show and that Miley's father is Billy Ray Cyrus. I also know that she is quite popular and talented. I have to be honest I thought that this was a very well put together production and I enjoyed some of the music and Miley was very impressive. The music is on the teeny bopper side but works quite well for the audience she targets. She plays extremely well to the crowd and the music doesn't go beyond her vocal capability. This film documents the show and contains backstage footage with Miley and the behind the scenes production and preparation staff which was fun to see. I really liked the footage of her young fans talking about her/Hanna and the multitude of parents trying to manage it all. Cyrus performs both in character as Hanna and as herself and does a nice job. She is constantly running off stage and returning in various costumes. This allowed the backup singers and the shows dancers some time onstage to strut their stuff. The Jonas Brothers chime in with a few songs of their own which breaks things up nicely. This is a perfect vehicle for Miley and she doesn't disappoint her fans as she puts on a great performance.

Parental Guide:

The rating is spot on as this would be fine for all audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Hanna Montana & Miley Cyrus Best of both worlds concert comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 5.8 mbps.

Disney has opted to included two versions of the concert's video. One is offered in 3D (anaglyph ) and the other is in 2D which allows fans a choice. 4 pairs of 3D glasses are included in the blu-ray disc case and are the cheap cardboard type with one blue and one red lens that never feel comfortable while you are wearing them. The 3 dimensional effect works pretty well during the concert and opening segment but not during the backstage and behind the scenes footage. The film moves in and out of these segments which made it a pain to keep switching back and forth with the glasses. After a while the top of the backs of my ears got sore. I also got a bit of a headache from watching the concert through the glasses. That is not to imply that this will happen to everyone. I am probably just more sensitive the visual stimulation. I had a much more enjoyable experience watching the 2D version. The concert footage looked wonderful in high definition. Crisp detail and sharp images gave the show excellent dimensionality and depth. The sparkling nature of the costumes, lighting and instruments was reproduced with clearly rendered definition and vibrant colors that leapt off of the screen. The intermittent switches back and forth between the concert and backstage/additional footage revealed that those sequences were somewhat less three dimensional than the concert. That is not to imply poor fidelity because it was readily apparent that it was good high definition. I saw some digital noise and banding within backgrounds which really wasn't intrusive enough to call attention to itself unless you are looking for it.

The audio presentation definitely kept up with the spirit of the concert and was impressive. Disney opted for a 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio sound mix which is a first for them. A 2.0 lossless uncompressed PCM track was included as well. I auditioned the DTS-HD MA track for the review. Generally live recordings tend to be a little sibilant in the treble which can give the appearance of edgy or bright sound. The high resolution DTS-HD MA track sounded airy, dynamic and cohesive with no signs of the aforementioned unpleasant characteristics. The sound mix was quite active and created an enveloping sound field that accurately placed the onscreen elements. Cyrus's vocals had a pleasant texture that was well balanced with the rest of the instrumentation and the sounds of the crowd. There was not any notable deep bass contained within the recording but that is to be expected with music such as this. The low end that was present had viable presence that ebbed and flowed accordingly. Overall this was really very good audio/video quality.

Bonus Features:

The bonus content is just average and offers a short 11 minute feature that follows Miley Cyrus behind the scenes, a sing along mode which allows you to sing along to the songs via onscreen lyrics, and two bonus songs that were not part of the theatrical presentation. Fans will enjoy the but I suspect will feel unfulfilled.

• (HD) The ultimate personal tour : featurette - Featuring Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers

• (HD) Sing along mode: When enabled it places the lyrics onscreen during the concert

• (HD)Two bonus songs: Good and Broken by Miley Cyrus & SOS by The Jonas Brothers

Final Thoughts:

I have to admit that I was impressed with Miley Cyrus (and Hanna Montana). I thought that for a 15 year old she seemed very poised, and professional onstage and off (from what I saw). The concert film was well done and really gave fans their money's worth. Disney has raised the bar by offering both a 3D and 2D version of the concert so that fans can enhance the experience. Personally I preferred the 2D video version but I am sure that many will find either just as entertaining. From a technical perspective this was a very solid presentation. I can't recommend that everyone run out and pick it up but fans can do so with confidence. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
DTS-HD?

I thought this was going to be the first Dolby TrueHD 7.1 mainstream disc?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

DTS-HD?

I thought this was going to be the first Dolby TrueHD 7.1 mainstream disc?

Greetings,

Nope. DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio....

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
No vocals in the fronts: -1
No subtitles during singing: -1

But I did rent it.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 AM

[quote=Ralph Potts;14445048 The 3 dimensional effect works pretty well during the concert and opening segment but not during the backstage and behind the scenes footage. [/QUOTE]

Those scenes were not in 3D at the theatre either. I thought the 3D stuff was more a distraction than anything else; you're trying to watch the show, and hands come up from the audience, or a drummer throws a stick at you.

I saw this with my kids, who are somewhat fans of the TV show; they thought it was just OK. I thought the Jonas Brothers did a much better job of interacting with the audience; Cyrus is still in TV mode, not connecting with the people there.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-28-2009, 04:20 AM

Not sure what you mean Pob. JB is an alright band but Miley was a much better performer...

The Miley fans I know, including myself, loved the movie. It's probably more for people who are fans of Miley Cyrus and her music more then just general fans of the show (hope that makes sense).
post #7 of 9 Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM

Ralph,

Right on. Entertainment for the entire family (wife and 2 daughters). We need more films the entire family can watch! Ralph, talk to your guys!!!

Swanny is the host of "The Home Theater Show" from Studio City California
post #8 of 9 Old 03-30-2009, 11:13 PM

I’ve heard rumours from one end of the galaxy to the other that she mimes during so called live performances.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 AM

Wow, that is SUCH a big deal. Now that like changes everything!

Nobody cares.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page