Camp Rock: Extended Rock Star Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
attachment.php?attachmentid=117445&d=1219341465
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 2008
MPAA Rating: TV-G
Feature running time: 98 Minutes
Genre: TV Drama/Music/Family

Disc Format: BD- 50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English 5.1 uncompressed PCM, English/French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Demi Lovato, Joe Jonas, Meeghan Jette Martin, Marcia Canals Barrera, Alyson Stoner
Directed by: Matthew Diamond
Music by: Danny Lux
Written by: Karin Gist, Regina Hicks, Julie Brown & Paul Brown
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 19, 2008

"Not exactly Rockbut typical Disney Channel entertainment"

Film Synopsis:

This summer is gonna Rock! Get ready to sing and dance like never before with the electrifying Disney Channel Original Movie Camp Rock! Disney's exclusive DVD explodes with "Too Cool" bonus features, including an exclusive extended ending and "How To Be A Rock Star", a sensational series full of tips and secrets from the Camp Rock cast to help make your real-life rock star dream come true! When Mitchie gets a chance to attend Camp Rock, her life takes an unpredictable twist, and she learns just how important it is to be true to yourself. Join the platinum-selling Jonas Brothers and the hottest cast of performers at the coolest summer camp anywhere! Experience Camp Rock in a whole new way in this Extended Rock Star Edition DVD, packed with hit music, hip dance moves, and bonus features that will have your singing, dancing and rocking over and over again.

My Take:

This made for TV Disney Channel film is exactly what you would expect and is aimed at a younger target audience. The premise is nothing new but the cast is loaded with young performers who fit quite nicely into the film's theme. The Jonas Brothers are all the rage right now among pre-teen and young teenagers and after listening to them discussing their careers thus far and how they got started etc. I found them to be interesting. I can't say that I like their music but of course that is strictly a matter of opinion. As far as their acting ability goes I think that they should stick to music. The main players, Lovato, Martin, and Stoner were fine in their respective roles. The script is formulaic and centers around Mitchie who dreams of going to Camp Rock which is a music camp that is strictly for well to do kids whose parents can afford to send them. Each season is followed by a Final Jam contest where campers perform either alone or in a group and are rated by judges to determine the winner. The winner has the opportunity to record with a celebrity music talent. Mitchie is initially told by her folks that they can't afford to send her to camp. Her father owns a hardware store and her mother has a catering business that is just starting out. They later tell Mitchie she can go because her mother is doing the cooking at the camp this season and Mitchie can attend at a discounted rate. Mitchie's mother tells her that she will have to help out in the kitchen when not involved in camp activities. Problems arise when Mitchie fibs to some of the kids about who/what her mother does (no one realizes that her mother is the camp cook) and pretends to be something and someone that she is not in order to fit in with the wealthier kids. Enter Shane Gray (Joe Jonas) the rock star bad boy who needs to clean up his image. At the behest of his brothers he takes an instructor job at the camp to do so. The winner of Final Jam will record with him at the conclusion of camp. What follows is a basic scenario that involves an antagonist for Mitchie (Martin) who is the rich, camp bad girl, the sympathetic acquaintance (Stoner) who befriends Mitchie, the exposure of Mitchie's ruse, a romantic attraction between Mitchie and Shane, and how all of that comes into play for the Final Jam. The outcome is predictable but does provide positive reinforcement for young viewers about lying and being who you are. Fans of the Jonas Brothers will enjoy the opportunity to see them perform. The music numbers were fine for the intended audience although some of the lip synching needed more practice. This is not the type of movie that will appeal to all viewers as it has a narrower target range. This was not a bad film and for kids who watch the Disney Channel it is probably a decent one.

Parental Guide:

The rating is appropriate as there is nothing contained here that would be unsuitable for viewers of all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 70

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Camp Rock comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 mbps and lossless 5.1 uncompressed PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 6.9 mbps.

The video presentation wasn't indicative of the best high definition we are accustomed to seeing from Disney but for a TV based movie it was fine. The film uses lots of bright and vibrant colors that can be overwhelming during some scenes but pleasing nonetheless. Flesh tones appeared quite natural with variable texture and lively looking complexions among the cast. There seems to have been filters used during filming that gave some sequences a soft glow. It impeded sharpness and fine detail perception which made those sequences appear softer and less resolute. There were many times where this was not an issue and fidelity remained intact. The outdoor vistas at the campground looked quite good with two (sometimes three) dimensional image penetration. The audio reminded me of TV quality sound but with slightly higher fidelity. Dynamics had less impact with a fairly narrow soundstage that sounded anemic when compared to the better uncompressed PCM audio tracks I have heard. The presentation was limited to the front three channels for the most part. Dialogue was intelligible through the center channel but wasn't as crisp as I would have liked. The music numbers tended to open things up a bit and exhibited respectable clarity, detail and imaging across the front of the room with ambient filler through the surrounds. Bass was present but lacked definition and sounded a little boomy side. This is not the type of sound mix that is intended to be used for demonstration purposes. Based upon the source material and target audience this audio and video presentation should be more than adequate.

Bonus Features:

The bonus content is essentially one big promo for the film and the Jonas Brothers. I did like the Real life Rock Star piece on the Jonas Brothers though. The only feature offered in high definition is the Camp rock set tour which is disappointing. For those that like the movie and the Jonas Brothers there is plenty of fun behind the scenes footage and cast/crew interviews to check out. Other than that I found them less than entertaining.

• How to be a rock star feature: Broken down into segments such as how to sing, dress, dance, behave, network, practice etc.

• (HD) Camp Rock: Set tour hosted by Giovanni Spina

• Jonas Brothers: Real life rock stars - Interviews with Joe, Kevin, and Nick with background on the group and behind the scenes footage.

• Introducing Demi Lovato - A video portrait of Demi that looks at how she has arrived at this point in her career.

• Camp Memories - A pictorial of shots taken by the cast/crew during the filming.

• Hasta La Vista: from rehearsals to Final jam - a look at the preparation that went into two music numbers from the film.

• Too Cool: Setting the scene - setup and execution of the Too Cool music number that is shot on the stage near the lake.

• Two music videos: Start the party and We rock

Final Thoughts:

Camp Rock: Extended Rock Star edition is best reserved for those who enjoy Disney Channel style teen movies or for Jonas Brothers fans. It is a film that the whole family can watch and it does send a positive message to younger viewers about being yourself and what can happen when lies are told. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring decent video quality and underwhelming audio. The bonus content offered a little more fluff than substance but it should appeal to fans which really is the ultimate goal. I would recommend this one as a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ralph - as much as I appreciate your reviews, please review relevant blu-ray material, and not disney movies, I didnt spend 15k on a home theater to watch the jonas brothers or miley cyrus. Even if they arent "brand new releases" review stuff thats in a mainstream genre.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM

.... Alright then. Thanks for the review Ralph. I appreciate reading reviews from a wide range of movies, including made for TV features that find their way to Blu-ray. The best way to see the general direction of quality for all Blu-ray discs is to look at the industry as a whole, including top notch blockbuster releases and lower budgeted ones as well. Keep up the great work Ralph!

14 Blu-ray - Haven't paid for one yet
14 HD DVD - Won't be paying for any more
post #4 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticaTom View Post

Ralph - as much as I appreciate your reviews, please review relevant blu-ray material, and not disney movies, I didnt spend 15k on a home theater to watch the jonas brothers or miley cyrus. Even if they arent "brand new releases" review stuff thats in a mainstream genre.

There are people on this forum with children.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings,

Tom, in order to obtain review material from the Studios that make the films it is necessary to review their releases in whole more than in part. It would be unfair to tell them that I am only going to review movies that are "relevant". Besides the relevancy of a film is subjective. What might be relevant to me might not be to you and so forth.

If I post a review of a film that does not interest you than by all means bypass it. I don't mean that in a negative way but a constructive one. I hope you understand what I am getting at.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #6 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypillow View Post

There are people on this forum with children.

Agreed; this was quite relevant to me.

I have a 4-year-old who watches this stuff and I was quite interested in this review - thanks Ralph!!!

PSN: xXcrack3dact0rXx
XBL: countzaroff
post #7 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:

What a snobbish post for someone who has the number "5" to your credit.

Perhaps YOU didn't "spend 15K" on equipment to view Disney or other "fluff" films but there are plenty who might have done.... even some of us without kids who need to see the positive things this movie obviously contains.

Ralph's coverage of films of this nature are just as relevent as coverage of an Oscar-winner like "No Country for Old Men" or, quite possibly pertinent to your argument, new and re-released (useta be HD-DVD) blood-dripping, explosion-heavy effects films-- most of which are worthless...except to show off "15K" home theatres!!!

Thanks, and keep it up, Ralph!! You are a stellar, stalwart person to continue to give your time and effort to enhance our enjoyment when so many are so unappreciative.
I may not want to purchase (or even rent!) the "Camp Rock" Blu-Ray disc. But I'm glad I know your take on it. I'll let my brother with two young daughters know.....but I'm sure they've already taken care of that!
post #8 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 PM

I applaud you sir. You actually watched this movie in the name of science. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to attempt such a measure and still be able to write an objective review. I think maybe the idea of reviewing movies is lost to some here. You can't just review movies you like, or movies you think others will like. You take the good with the bad. That reminds me of a doctor joke.. On second thought, lets keep this thread rated G.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I can't tell you how many movies I've watched over the years that I wanted to turn off SOOOOO much, but couldn't do so!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #10 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Thanks for the review Ralph. Although I will not be adding this one to my collection I do appreciate your efforts to cover all genres of material. Keep up the good work.

Luckily my daughter is a little too young for Camp Rock to be of interest. However, if Scooby Doo was on Blu-Ray I just might have to buy it for her.

One of the few. DCM Time Window Seven owners.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy RainH2o View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph. Although I will not be adding this one to my collection I do appreciate your efforts to cover all genres of material. Keep up the good work.

Luckily my daughter is a little too young for Camp Rock to be of interest. However, if Scooby Doo was on Blu-Ray I just might have to buy it for her.

Greetings,

Tracy, actually Scooby Doo is on Blu-ray:

Scooby Doo Blu-ray at Amazon

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #12 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
HA !!! I didn't know that. She's more of a "classic" Scooby Doo fan but I don't think she's seen that one yet. We'll give it a rental and see what she says. Thanks again.

One of the few. DCM Time Window Seven owners.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Tracy,

My kids really got a kick out of Scooby Doo, but liked the second movie more than the first. Both are available on Blu-ray (I think).

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #14 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Dave, I don't think the 2nd Scooby Doo (actually didn't even know there was a second one) is on blu-ray.

My Wii number: 8635 5577 9502 4722
post #15 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 11:18 AM

I guess not to continue to beat a dead horse, you are correct about the subjectiveness of reviews, and I guess I understand your point, but honestly does the age that the genre targets, even care about image quality or sound quality? No they could care less if scoobydoo came out of a vga projector, with a realistic brand stereo speaker sitting in front of them.

I am largely a fan of your reviews, I use them in an effort to decide what specific blu-ray I would purchase, but when you see alot of kids movies come up in the review scale, its kinda defeating, perhaps there should be MORE blu-ray review(ers) and let specific people target specific tastes.

Again I took nothing away from your efforts and mentioned that in my initial post, just laying the framework down for some constructive criticism, and maybe to get a better understanding of a transparent process! Instead I got a good response from you, and a bunch of complaints from stay at home dad's, and in closing to the person who judged me based upon the number of posts I have, Ive been around for sometime, I just research and not always talk about things. AVS is a learning forum for me, and I use it in earnest - god forbid someone doesnt have 2500 posts, in order to speak to a certain subject.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I guess not to continue to beat a dead horse, you are correct about the subjectiveness of reviews, and I guess I understand your point, but honestly does the age that the genre targets, even care about image quality or sound quality? No they could care less if scoobydoo came out of a vga projector, with a realistic brand stereo speaker sitting in front of them.

I am largely a fan of your reviews, I use them in an effort to decide what specific blu-ray I would purchase, but when you see alot of kids movies come up in the review scale, its kinda defeating, perhaps there should be MORE blu-ray review(ers) and let specific people target specific tastes.

Again I took nothing away from your efforts and mentioned that in my initial post, just laying the framework down for some constructive criticism, and maybe to get a better understanding of a transparent process! Instead I got a good response from you, and a bunch of complaints from stay at home dad's, and in closing to the person who judged me based upon the number of posts I have, Ive been around for sometime, I just research and not always talk about things. AVS is a learning forum for me, and I use it in earnest - god forbid someone doesnt have 2500 posts, in order to speak to a certain subject.

Greetings,

Tom, thanks for posting back. Actually if you look at the percentage of reviews that I have done the amount of kids movies is very low by comparison. Your right about younger viewers not being interested so much in the quality of the audio/video. That does not negate my responsibility to report its quality for those who may consider it which in most cases would be the parents of those younger viewers.

Try not to take the reponses personally. I try to look at what people are saying rather than how they are saying it. Sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted which can lead to hard feelings.

I look forward to seeing your participation in future review discussions.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 18 Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just the other day, my daughter (8 year old) stopped my wife from picking out a Full Screen version of a DVD that we were going to watch. They don't care as much as you and I do but the basics matter to them. that said, nothing stopped her from picking up the Full Screen version of this because we do not have Blu-Ray just yet for our HT. She sat in front of the screen transfifxed on it for the entire show. Disney knows how to create movies for a younger audience and I have to hand it to them, the themes in the movie are pretty relevant to a growing 8 year old girl.

Ralph, your review could have very well been rubber stamped for the DVD version as well. Aside from the asinine rented DVDs only come in Full Screen policy that Disney now has, your review could have easily been for the DVD. I remember looking at my wife and commenting on the audio being front and center only. Virtually zero surround and when compared to something like High School Musical, it's dissapointing coming from Disney. When the bass did pick up during music scenes, it was very boomy and easily felt out of place. All in all, it's a decent movie for the younger viewers and to the original comment, you would be surprised how much they pick up on it once they watch movies in a proper HT.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 AM

Almost feel like getting it just because I love Demi Lovato. Maybe if it was ridiculously cheap...

Anyone that has High School Musical series on Blu, would you compare the visual quality to HSM1 or HSM2? Just curious.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page