Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 101 Minutes
Genre: Romantic comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish/Thai Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Hindi, Indonesian
Starring: Patrick Dempsey, Michelle Moynihan, Kevin McKidd Kathleen Quinlan, Sydney Pollack, Kadeem Hardison
Directed by: Paul Weiland
Music by: Rupert Gregson-Williams
Written by: Adam Sztykiel, Deborah Kaplan, and Harry Elfont
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 16, 2008

"He's a maid of honor on a mission to proven he's the best man"

Film Synopsis:

Platonic friends since college have never entertained the prospect of romance -- he's a womanizer who never wanted to commit; she wants marriage but has never found the right man. Just as he begins to think he's ready to settle, she gets engaged to a handsome Scotsman -- and asks her longtime male pal to be her "maid" of honor. He agrees, but only so he can sabotage the wedding and woo her before it's too late.

My Take:

Made of honor is your basic chick flick and is another variation of a concept that has been done before. That didn't make it any less enjoyable though. I think that Patrick Dempsey is enjoying more success at this stage of his career than he ever did in his younger days. He is the one that makes this film work in my opinion. Michelle Moynihan is just fine as Hannah and I think their onscreen relationship gelled enough to make it palatable. The direction and pacing kept it from feeling totally unoriginal and the relationships between the characters offered a few entertaining moments. I couldn't help but feel badly at the recent loss of Sydney Pollack as I watched him in this film. He was great in the role of Tom's father who can't seem to get married and divorced enough. I thought that Made of honor was entertaining and definitely one that you would want to watch with your significant other.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brief sexual content and language. This would be perfect fine for mature pre-teens and above.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Made of honor comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 mbps and lossless 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio that has an average bitrate of 3.2 mbps.

This was a solid video presentation from Sony that offered high definition image quality that was consistent with a newer release film. The video exhibited three dimensional quality with high level detail and clearly defined structure. Early in the film sharpness was inconsistent during a few shots but I didn't notice it beyond the first act as it looked fine. I noticed that light filled sequences such as a couple of exterior scenes where the sun beamed through the camera shot looked washed out and devoid of white detail. Flesh tones were unaffected though and had nice variation and realistic tonality. Colors were very pleasing with natural looking hues and punchy primaries. The beautiful geographic locations and vista views of Scotland looked magnificent in high definition. The lush, green and natural architecture coupled with the voluminous bodies of water that surround them had a transparency and depth that was fully captured by the camera's lens. Blacks were deep with good contrast and excellent shadow delineation. In chapter 10 Tom and Hannah are shopping and there is a black and white tapestry on the wall in the background. The black portions look deep black and standout beautifully against the whites. In chapter 14 there is a wide angle shot of the Scottish Castle owned by Colin's family. It is dusk and the sun has set but its glow still illuminates the sky enough that the shapes can be seen. Detail in the dark exterior structure of the castle is clearly visible within its shape in the dwindling light. Shadow detail in the background of the dark interior halls of the castle are noticeable as well. Audio quality was quite good but not exceptional. Dialogue was well rounded and intelligible through the center channel. Good front channel separation allowed the mix of dialogue and sound effects to be rendered with distinction and crystal clarity. This isn't a very dynamic or expansive surround sound presentation but it really needn't be. The surrounds and subwoofer were used sparingly to supply ambience and occasional low frequency detail neither of which added any real impact to the mix. It conveyed the elements of the soundtrack appropriately and sounded just fine while doing so.

Bonus Features:

The bonus supplements offered a commentary track with Director Paul Weiland, a 12 minute making of documentary, 6 minute feature that looked at the layout and design of the wedding sequences featured in the film and two deleted scenes. The disc is BD-Live enabled however the features are not online as of yet. They will surely be good to go by release day.

• Director commentary

• (HD) Save the date: Making of Made of honor featurette

• (HD) Three weddings and a skyline: Behind the scenes featurette

• 2 Deleted scenes

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=117749&d=1219688944

Final Thoughts:

Made of honor is an above average romantic comedy that doesn't really cover any new ground but is fun nonetheless. Sony has brought it to high definition Blu-ray Disc for release day and date with DVD. It features excellent video quality, respectable lossless Dolby TrueHD sound and average bonus features. I recommend it as a rental and be sure to watch it with your significant other.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the review. Spot on as always...

This really was an above average "chick flick" and my wife & I really enjoyed it.

Larry
post #3 of 5 Old 09-29-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the review. Spot on as always...

This really was an above average "chick flick" and my wife & I really enjoyed it.

Larry

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Larry...Thanks.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 5 Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I put the disk in and nothing but a black screen appears... if I press the info button, it says that there are 001/500 titles, 000/000 chapters Audio: NONE etc... Disc does not play for me. It is a rental from Blockbuster, but it looks like I am the first one to rent it... disc looks untouched. My Samsung BD-P1500 is connected to my Samsung DLP via HDMI set for 1080p 24fps. All other movies have played fine, DVD and Blu-Ray. Did I miss a FW update - or did I get a FW update I should of held off? System update indicates the latest version of FW is installed.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^^

Hi iSteve, you might want to go to the Sammy 1500 owners thread as I seem to remember other owners talking about problems with this movie. I have a Sammy 1400 and had no problems playing this title.

Larry
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page