Studio and Year: Miramax - 2003
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 111 Minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Uncompressed 5.1 PCM, English/French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English SDH & Spanish
Starring: Uma Thurman, Vivica A. Fox, Lucy Liu, Daryl Hannah, Michael Madsen, David Carradine, Sonny Chiba, Julie Dreyfus, Gordon Liu, Michael Parks
Written & Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 9, 2008

"Revenge is a dish better served cold"

Film Synopsis:

The acclaimed fourth film from groundbreaking writer and director Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown) Kill Bill Volume 1 stars Uma Thurman (Pulp Fiction), Lucy Liu (Charlie's Angels, Chicago) and Vivica A. Fox (Two Can Play That Game) in an astonishing, action-packed thriller about brutal betrayal and an epic vendetta! Four years later taking a bullet in the head at her own wedding, The Bride (Thurman) emerges from a coma and decides it's time for payback...with a vengeance! Having been gunned down by her former boss (David Carradine) and his deadly squad of international assassins, it's a kill-or-be killed fights she doesn't start but is determined to finish!

My Take:

I have only seen Kill Bill once back when it was released on DVD. My brother in law loved both installments and loaned them to me. I wouldn’t say that I am a Tarantino fan per se but I loved Pulp Fiction and liked Jackie Brown (I own both on DVD). I watched them and found them appealingly different from anything that I had seen. Their impression on me wasn’t strong enough that I rushed out and picked them up though. The one thing that I did recall was that I liked Vol. 1 more than Vol. 2. I realize that the two are like conjoined twins but that was my feeling at the time. I am not going to go into a long explanation about the plot summary about either film because most who are reading this are probably familiar with it. Besides it is not a truly in depth story but a rather straight forward one. I think that these films are really about the characters and the action. We are given glimpses of the events that transpired that lead up to the confrontations between The Bride (Thurman) and her ex-colleagues. What we learn is that four of them are sent by their leader, whose name is Bill, to kill her on her wedding day. The only thing we “see” of Bill is the sound of his voice from the film’s opening and closing segments. In the opening she is shot in the head and left for dead by Bill after his death squad murders everyone at the chapel and beats The Bride to within an inch of her life. She survives and wakes up after a four year comma. She has one thing on her mind and one thing only, payback.

Tarantino cast his assassination squad perfectly in my opinion. Lucy Liu and Daryl Hannah nail their characters Elle and O-Ren. Vivica A. Fox was strong as Vernita but she just wasn’t in the film long enough to make a lasting impression. Michael Madsen is pretty one dimensional as an actor but he plays that character well. I thought that Uma Thurman was marvelous in this role and without her it just wouldn’t have been as good. I really enjoy the fight sequences featured in this film. The opening battle in the living room at Vernita’s house is well choreographed and special because it doesn’t include sword play. The entire House of Blue Leaves sequence which concludes in the exterior courtyard is my favorite between both installments. The Bride’s battle with Gogo during that scene was short but well executed. O-Ren is my favorite member of the Deadly Viper Assassination squad. The scene that takes place at the Tokyo council meeting is priceless. I really liked the animated segment on her background as well. Tarantino uses flashbacks, split screens, anime, black and white film, and well chosen music to create his vision of the world inhabited by these characters. This film sets up the mythology behind Kill Bill and it does so in typical Tarantino style. I have to admit that I enjoyed this film even more this time around.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence, language, and some sexual content. This is not for younger audiences, period.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Kill Bill Vol. 1 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Miramax/Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 mbps and loss uncompressed 5.1 channel PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 4.6 mbps.

I had high expectations for this film in high definition and Disney has delivered the goods with this video presentation. Colors are rock solid with vivid textures, vibrant primaries and deep saturation that doesn’t disappoint. Images have a sparkling clarity that makes them visually enticing. Detail is impeccable from nearly every perspective which allows clear perception of the various elements within each frame. Contrast was punchy but not excessive which made fine detail within whites and bright scenes easy to see. An example of this was during the battle between O-Ren and The Bride which takes place in the snow covered courtyard. O-Ren is wearing an all white Kimono that has a pattern sewn into the fabric. The pattern was not only visible during close ups but I was able to make it out from a wider angle shot as well. Later as The Bride throws Sofie’s body down the snow covered hill outside of the hospital the snow’s powdery texture (which of course made it easy to see was fake) was plainly obvious. Blacks were not inky but they had good depth and dynamic range. Detail in dark areas and shadowy scenes was visible but not quite as resolute as I have seen. Grain appeared to be intact and I saw no signs of artificial sharpening or excessive processing of the video.

The lossless uncompressed PCM sound was impressive. This is detail rich surround sound that offers spectacular clarity and solid dynamic presence. I was captivated by the precise imaging and tonal quality of the various sound effects used during the fight sequences. The scene that takes place at the House of Blues put the quality of the mix to the test and it certainly passed with flying colors. The clanking of swords, splintering of wood, or the splattering of blood were all reproduced with audible distinction that made them recognizable even during the fiercest moments in the battle. Dialogue intelligibility was excellent throughout. This is an active surround mix that can be aggressive at times. Whether its to generate the feeling of being in the middle of multistage samurai sword encounter or the wide expanse of a large parking garage the mix created a listening environment within the room that was as good as being there. Low frequency effects produced bass response that was clean, tight, and on a few occasions well extended. The animated sequence that depicts O-Ren’s background produced the deepest LFE in the film and sounded superb. The music added another dimension to the films soundtrack. Lossless audio’s higher fidelity was readily apparent as the select mix of period music utilized the entire surround platform to deliver its enriching audio quality.

Bonus Features:

The bonus supplements are below average in content and offer a 22 minute making of documentary which is quite good, two music numbers from the 3 piece female Japanese Band featured in the House of Blues scene from the film, and 6 Tarantino movie trailers.

• Making of Kill Bill Vol. 1

• The 5,6,7,8’s - Perform two music numbers - “I walk the line” and “I’m blue”

• 6 Tarantino Movie Trailers - Reservoir dogs, Pulp fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Vol. 1 Teaser/ Vol.1 bootleg, Kill Bill Vol. 2 Teaser

Final Thoughts:

Kill Bill is not a film for everyone. For those like Quentin Tarantino’s style of movie making this is a film that epitomizes him at his best. Fans who have been waiting for this epic to find its way to high definition Blu-ray Disc are going to be rewarded with stunning reference quality video and superior high resolution audio that won’t disappoint. I can’t recommend this film to everyone but it is a must own for fans. Highly Recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ralph, thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on 'Kill Bill.'
post #3 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 11:55 AM

The 5.6.7.8's (ザ・ファイブ・シックス・セブン・エイツ, The 5.6.7.8's?) are a female, three-piece, Japanese rock and roll band...
post #4 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldirtdog View Post

The 5.6.7.8's (ザ・ファイブ・シックス・セブン・エイツ, The 5.6.7.8's?) are a female, three-piece, Japanese rock and roll band...

Greetings,

Thanks, I meant to indicate that originally.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Stella as always Ralph.. This is one BR I'd pay 40.00 for.. GoGo & the Bride.. My favorite fight scene ever!! The lossy ST is stellar in it's own right.. Ralph, have you compared the two soundstracks? I know I won't get the full benefit since The 5.1 LPCM will be down mixed to 2 channels with my headphones

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #6 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Fine review, Ralph. I've had them pre-ordered, and your review helped them stay that way. No cancellation anxiety here.
post #7 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
All I can say is, it's about freaking time. I loved the Kill Bill series and have been chomping at the bit for this to be released on BR. After seeing the review it appears it has been worth the wait. Now if only LOTR would hurry up.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #8 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanx for the review Ralph!
I was waiting with preordering till I was sure it's region free. After reading your review I immediatly preorderd it. Are you writing a review for part 2 as well? Keep up the great work!
post #9 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Heh...It's the House of Blue Leaves. Not the corporate entity House of Blues.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #10 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyuyu98 View Post

Thanx for the review Ralph!
I was waiting with preordering till I was sure it's region free. After reading your review I immediatly preorderd it. Are you writing a review for part 2 as well? Keep up the great work!

Greetings,

Vol. 2 will be up tomorrow...

Quote:

Heh...It's the House of Blue Leaves. Not the corporate entity House of Blues.

Got it...thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 40 Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Hey Ralph,

Are you sure the PCM track is 16-bit (4.6Mbps) vs 24-bit (6.9Mbps)? As far as I know, every Disney BD I've purchased ONLY contained a 24-bit PCM track, and never a 16-bit track. I just want to confirm this with you as it could very well be 16-bit because this is how the master was mastered.
post #12 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w View Post

Hey Ralph,

Are you sure the PCM track is 16-bit (4.6Mbps) vs 24-bit (6.9Mbps)? As far as I know, every Disney BD I've purchased ONLY contained a 24-bit PCM track, and never a 16-bit track. I just want to confirm this with you as it could very well be 16-bit because this is how the master was mastered.

Greetings,

I am sure. I have reviewed several of Disney's Blu-ray releases that have been 16 bit but state 24 bit on the jacket. (The Recruit, Shall we dance? and Unbreakable are examples). There are some like Chronicles of Narnia that are 16 bit and correctly indicate that. The odd thing is that KB Vol. 2 IS 24 bit..

Quote:

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the review.

Could you please do the following ?

1) Change the BD Menu language in your player to Japanese
2) Restart your player
3) Play the discs from beginning and check if you get any language selection menu like this http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cenemenrx5.jpg

Thanks in advance.

lgans316, I will try and get to it today..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 05:52 AM

Ralph, thanks for your reviews. Love to read them. They come out quick and always play a part in my purchasing decision. Quick question- did the crazy 88 fight stay in color or switch over to black and white as usual? Thanks and God bless.

"Truth is absolute."

psn- TRUTH-ABSOLUTE gamertag- BELIE7ER
post #14 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

All I can say is, it's about freaking time. I loved the Kill Bill series and have been chomping at the bit for this to be released on BR. After seeing the review it appears it has been worth the wait. Now if only LOTR would hurry up.

My same sentiments here, but I thought both films where going to be release as one film , edited differently ? The whole bloody affair, or some like that was supposed to the title.
Might have been dreaming it or something..

DJoel
post #15 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELIE7ER View Post

Ralph, thanks for your reviews. Love to read them. They come out quick and always play a part in my purchasing decision. Quick question- did the crazy 88 fight stay in color or switch over to black and white as usual? Thanks and God bless.

Greetings,

It switched over to black and white when they entered the upper room (I believe) and then back shortly after.

cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 08:26 AM

Tarantino never got around to doing the re-edit, which I was also waiting for. either that or the Winstein's pulled the plug. Nice to see they are trying to coax even more $$ out of the movie buying audience by releasing these separately though .

That said, I love these films and will likely end up with them as per my screening this weekend, the DVD's do not upscale that well.

PSN: brick1972
post #17 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the review.

Could you please do the following ?

1) Change the BD Menu language in your player to Japanese
2) Restart your player
3) Play the discs from beginning and check if you get any language selection menu like this http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?i...cenemenrx5.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

lgans316, I tried it and saw no difference or anything similar to the image in that link...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 40 Old 09-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I am sure. I have reviewed several of Disney's Blu-ray releases that have been 16 bit but state 24 bit on the jacket. (The Recruit, Shall we dance? and Unbreakable are examples). There are some like Chronicles of Narnia that are 16 bit and correctly indicate that. The odd thing is that KB Vol. 2 IS 24 bit..

Thanks Ralph...I just wanted to confirm. That is really odd, that vol 1 is 16-bit (and a more aggressive mix IMO) and vol 2 is 24-bit (and is more of a "talky" film). Weird...
post #19 of 40 Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
lgans316, I tried it and saw no difference or anything similar to the image in that link...
Cheers,

Thanks Ralph for reverting back. Thought language selection menu will pop up while playing the disc from beginning after changing BD menu language in the player. If you have free time, please try switching the BD Menu language in your player to French or Spanish and redo the check. My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Blu-ray : 340
post #20 of 40 Old 09-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Now we just need Tarantino's best work; Pulp Fiction to make it to Blu-ray. In my opinion Pulp Fiction is sooo much more of a quaility movie than No Country or TWBB. It's probably my favorite movie of all time. So much great dialogue in that movie. You mean I have to stab her in the heart three times?
post #21 of 40 Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick vega View Post

Now we just need Tarantino's best work; Pulp Fiction to make it to Blu-ray. In my opinion Pulp Fiction is sooo much more of a quaility movie than No Country or TWBB. It's probably my favorite movie of all time. So much great dialogue in that movie. You mean I have to stab her in the heart three times?

Pulp Fiction is coming out.........in France. TFI Video is releasing it in a BD Steelbook in November as well as the Kill Bill 1 & 2. I decided to hold out for those Steelbooks. Will see if there is any visual difference one way or another.
post #22 of 40 Old 09-11-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

Pulp Fiction is coming out.........in France. TFI Video is releasing it in a BD Steelbook in November as well as the Kill Bill 1 & 2. I decided to hold out for those Steelbooks. Will see if there is any visual difference one way or another.

These movies are Tarantino's at his best and can't wait for Pulp Fiction. Own the Kill Bill movie and they are reference quality.
post #23 of 40 Old 09-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w View Post

fine review, ralph. I've had them pre-ordered, and your review helped them stay that way. No cancellation anxiety here.

+1
post #24 of 40 Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris1 View Post

These movies are Tarantino's at his best and can't wait for Pulp Fiction. Own the Kill Bill movie and they are reference quality.

absolutely agree, I only purchase Blu-ray movies that have reference PQ and Kill Bill Vol 1 is my new demo disc the PQ on this movie is absolutely breathtaking, the sound is also very good
post #25 of 40 Old 12-05-2008, 08:51 AM

I just finished viewing both titles. I remember I really enjoyed them the first go around on DVD and I was looking forward to them on Blu-ray.

Nobody uses the soundtrack of a film to move the storyline like Tarantino. After seeing them on Blu-ray I have to say that that Kill Bill is on par with Pulp Fiction as his best work. The story, action and dialog augmented by his great soundtrack are amazing.

You know, a guy could get into this HT thing and drop a couple of bucks!
post #26 of 40 Old 12-05-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

anybody get Pulp Fiction blu-ray from France? i went to an amazon french link and it seems to say that it's unavailable.
post #27 of 40 Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post

anybody get Pulp Fiction blu-ray from France? i went to an amazon french link and it seems to say that it's unavailable.

you do know this thread is for Kill Bill Vol 1 right, not to be sarcastic but i'm just saying though
post #28 of 40 Old 12-05-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomunk View Post

you do know this thread is for Kill Bill Vol 1 right, not to be sarcastic but i'm just saying though

yep, i did a search and this was the only thread in this forum where the french steelbook edition of pulp fiction was mentioned. i figured somebody participating in this thread would know if they've shipped yet.

there is a thread on it in the blu-ray software thread as well.
post #29 of 40 Old 03-13-2009, 06:47 PM

Hard to disconnect Bill 1 from Bill 2, or to tell one better than the other one.
They go together, no doubt about it.
Thanks Ralph for a review that describe a very well share impression.
Excellent quality on this blu-ray, but shy on the extras.
Colors are splendid, and I just love the music on this one, very well recorded and making
a good statement and lasting feeling. Tarantino knows his music, for sure.
post #30 of 40 Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched this again this week, and I was really struck how amazing the video is on this. I know Ralph recommends this as one of his top video titles, but I wanted to just reiterate for those that haven't watched this in a while.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page