Jerry Maguire (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Jerry Maguire (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 12:20 PM 09-04-2008
attachment.php?attachmentid=117258&d=1219173140
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1996
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 138 Minutes
Genre: Dramedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Indonesian, Arabic, Dutch
Starring: Tom crusie, Cuba Gooding Jr. Rene Zellweger, Kelly Preston, Regina King, Bonnie Hunt, Jay Mohr, Jerry O'Connell, Beau Bridges,
Written & Directed by: Cameron Crowe
Music by: Bruce Springsteen
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 9, 2008

"Show me the Kwan!"

Film Synopsis:

Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) is a sports agent who is long on ambition but short on scruples. After he suddenly and ceremoniously loses his job and his girlfriend (Kelly Preston), both his personal and professional careers hit an all-time low. But when a single mother (Renée Zellweger) enters his life and his heart, he finds himself negotiating the biggest deal of his life...for the heart and hand of the woman that he loves.

My Take:

Jerry Maguire is one of my favorite movies. I think what strikes a chord with me is the transition that Jerry (Cruise) makes from the fast talking, money grubbing agent to a legitimate person who sees people rather than dollar signs. That, and the fact that Cuba Gooding Jr. is absolutely brilliant as the kwan seeking Rod Tidwell. Cameron Crowe did a wonderful job with the script and direction which is where the strength lies in Jerry Maguire. What a great group of characters. This transcends the main players and extends down to those with smaller roles as well. Kelly Preston, Jay Mohr, Bonnie Hunt, and Regina King were excellent in their supporting roles. This film has a chick flick feel to it but has plenty of dialogue and football related elements (including sports celebrity cameos) for guys to appreciate it too. Crowe took his time and built a solid bond between Dorothy (Zellweger), Jerry, and Ray (Lipnicky). The various stages that Jerry and Rod go through on their way to becoming what they were by the film's ending was not only perfectly executed but is a large reason that this story works as well as it does. Jerry Maguire was nominated for 5 Academy Awards (including Best Picture) with Cuba Gooding Jr. winning for best supporting actor. In my opinion it was justly deserved and who could forget his acceptance speech? There are many who don't care for Tom Cruise based upon his personal decisions about politics and religion etc. In my opinion his personal life is his business. I can't say that I am a die hard fan who likes all of his films but this is one where he nailed it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 72

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 76

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Jerry Maguire comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.5 mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=118886&d=1220552134

The video presentation reminded me very much of the DVD in terms of color rendering and flesh tone reproduction. Colors were well saturated with excellent tonal depth and bold primaries (particularly red). Fleshtones were naturally lifelike with subtle delineation and rosy complexions. Detail and sharpness were inconsistent. There were many instances where images exhibited good dimensionality and resolute definition that allowed the perception of fine detail. On the other hand there were shots that looked fuzzy and less sharp by comparison. Grain was visible in fine layers and became more pronounced against lighter backgrounds. Whites were on the hot side. Bright whites tended to have a glowing effect to them. The white number 85 on Rod's football jersey and the white t-shirts that Jerry wore under his shirts exhibited this. Other shades of white appeared overcooked but didn't bloom as much. Blacks were more of a shade of dark gray and shadow detail was slightly above average. In looking at the DVD version (I have the original 1997 Deluxe Edition) it exhibited these same traits and added ringing/edge enhancement. In comparing the two the Blu-ray looks exceedingly better (as it should) with much better visible detail, sharpness and overall clarity. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is a mostly dialogue driven affair that didn't feature any impressive dynamic moments. Dialogue was intelligible and the remaining source elements were clearly rendered. The mix did utilize the surround channels during a few sequences to deliver ambient sound effects and to broaden the presentation of the music. I compared this track to the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on the DVD. I thought that the lossless audio had slightly clearer expression in both sound effects and dialogue. Of course this is not a demanding soundtrack but the difference was perceptible.

Bonus Features:

The bonus content offered here is the same as those included on the 2002 Special Edition DVD release. They are offered in standard definition and include Director/Cast audio commentary, five deleted scenes with optional director/writer commentary, rehearsal footage containing three separate sessions with optional director/writer commentary, Jerry Maguire's 45 page mission statement, a Rod Tidwell commercial, a short feature on How to be a sports agent hosted by Drew Rosenhaus, a short making of documentary, and Bruce Springsteen's Secret Garden music video. The disc is BD-Live enable however features are not active as of yet but should be by releases date.

• Director/Cast audio commentary

• 5 Deleted scenes with optional director/writer commentary

• Rehearsal footage with optional director/writer commentary

• Jerry Maguire's mission statement

• My first commercial with Rod Tidwell

• How to be a sports agent

• Making of featurette

• Music video: Secret Garden
attachment.php?attachmentid=118884&d=1220551745

Final Thoughts:

I am happy to see Jerry Maguire released on Blu-ray Disc. It has been a personal favorite of mine since I first saw it and I suspect that I am not alone in that regard. Its high definition video and audio quality is not among the best that I have seen however it has never looked better on home video. Fans will probably want to pick this up as it offers an upgrade in A/V quality and includes the latest bonus features. For those who are curious I would suggest a rental first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Goatse's Avatar Goatse 12:21 PM 09-05-2008
has the bluray eliminated edge halos present on the DVD?
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 12:36 PM 09-05-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

has the bluray eliminated edge halos present on the DVD?

Greetings,

I didn't detect any edge enhancement or ringing. If present it is minimal..

Cheers,
Up
Mobile  Desktop