Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2006
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 146 Minutes
Genre: Action/Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Russian DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English DTS 5.1, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean
Starring: Konstantin Khabensky, Mariya Poroshina, Vladimir Menshov, Galina Tyunina
Directed by: Timur Bekmambetov
Music by: Yuri Poteyenko
Written by: Sergei Lukyanenko, Timur Bekmambetov, Alexander Talal
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 9, 2008

"The second chapter in the epic fantasy trilogy"

Film Synopsis:

The high-def terror continues on Blu-ray with the release of the visually stunning Russian horror/fantasy epics NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH from acclaimed director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) about the ultimate apocalyptic battle between the forces of Light and Darkness unlike any the world has ever known!

My Take:

This sequel to Night Watch continues the story of the struggle between the forces of Light and Darkness to uphold the treaty forged years earlier to prevent a battle that would potentially obliterate both sides. The film opens with the history of Tamerlane and his use of the legendary Chalk of Fate, a magical chalk that could rewrite history. It was one of the primary reasons for his numerous military victories. The story then picks up with Anton (Khabensky) the Light Other who is still a Night Watch operative and is in the process of training Svetlana (Poroshina). The two have become romantically involved which is against protocol. Anton's son Yegor has become a Dark Other and Anton is forced to secretly destroy evidence of Yegor's attacks on regular people. This violates the treaty, leaving the Night Watch unable to sentence Yegor. Zavulon is the leader of the Dark Others and their Day Watch is waiting for Yegor's birthday. On his birthday, Yegor would become a Great Other and acquire the power that would allow the Dark Others to break the treaty and hopefully destroy the Light Others. Based upon the events the transpired from the beginning of the first film Anton realizes that he needs to obtain the Chalk of Fate in order to alter his decision to agree to harm his wife's unborn child (Yegor) after she decided to leave him for another man. The attempt was thwarted by the Night Watch but set in motion the events that followed in the first film as well as those that take place here.

I didn't like this film as much as the first. I thought it went into too much detail that wasn't essential to the story. The action sequences were good (especially the finale during the party) and I found the characters, who all return from the first film to be interesting. The ending was a little corny for a film of this type but I didn't have a problem with that.

Parental Guide:

This disc is unrated and contains brief nudity and scenes of strong violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Day Watch comes to Blu-ray disc from Fox and features 1080p encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

I found the audio and video presentation on this Blu-ray Disc to be nearly identical to that of Night Watch. I have included my comments from that review here:

Both Day Watch and Night Watch use similar visual styles that don't lend themselves to overly vibrant and high gloss video quality. Images tend to lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers strive for to drive the story's elements. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is quite good and revealing of subtle details within dark backgrounds and low lighting sequences which gave those scenes better visual depth. Good contrast and black levels allowed scenes containing mixed content to look dynamic with punchy dark highlights. Detail was rendered quite well with crisp textures and definitive resolution that brought forth subtle nuance within images onscreen. Colors were limited to darker tones with occasional splashes of vivid hues which stood out nicely against the films dark theme. Grain is intact and appears to be well preserved."

"The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is fairly aggressive and offers sound quality that is excellent. The mix utilizes the entire system to create an enveloping atmosphere that is brimming with spatial and discrete sound effects. Panning sequences were delivered with seamless precision which made for a cohesive sound field. The dynamic range is forceful and delivers solid impact and clearly articulated audio that allows all of the sonic detail inherent with the soundtrack to be audible. Bass reproduction is clean, deep and palpably present (The party/attack sequence in chapter 36 sounded superb). Yuri Poteyenko's hard rock music had a potent and visceral feel that was enhanced by the soundtracks impressive dynamic quality. Dialogue is crystalline with distinct tonal variation and discernible texture among the cast. This was a great sounding audio presentation.

** CIH users should take note that the subtitles are within the black bars both above and below the image.**

Bonus Features:

The bonus content wasn't comprehensive but the 26 making of feature was quite good and should appeal to fans. The remainder of the supplements consisted of a host of Russian TV spots and trailers and the theatrical trailer which was the only feature offered in high definition.

• The making Day Watch: featurette

• 16 Russian TV Spots

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• 6 Russian Trailers

• D-Box Motion Code

Final Thoughts:

Day Watch will probably not be to everyone's liking but it, along with its predecessor Night Watch do offer an interesting conceptual spin on the genre from Russian filmmakers. As a sequel this film did a decent job of picking up where Night Watch left off but I felt that it could have delivered the story in less time and still been satisfying. Fans are sure to appreciate the attention to detail paid by Fox with the high resolution audio and video quality on this Blu-ray Disc. This is recommended for fans but casual interest is best served with a rental first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Outlaw Audio Model 7700 seven channel amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 201
[quote=Ralph Potts;14651123
The ending was a little corny for a film of this type but I didn't have a problem with that.

[/QUOTE]
Yes I agree, I thought it was going really well until i saw that ending. Still enjoyable though.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page