Iron Man (Blu-ray) Ultimate Edition Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 197 Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys! Hate to bring this old thread back up, but I maybe someone can help... So after enjoying my (first) Blu-ray player (BDP-320) playing Star Trek, Cars, The Fifth Element and Ratatouille... today I purchased Iron Man (2-Disc Ultimate Edition).

In some scenes (4 found so far) the movie just simply pauses. It's always the same scenes again and again. I wasn't sure if the disc was dirty (checked couple of times)... but it seemed clean and I just bought it.

I verified that the player is not hung - I can still click on "pop menu" and change scene and play with other settings.

BDP 320 is directly connected to the TV (Sony KDL37 XBR6) via HDMI. (No receiver is being used) All the settings are set to auto and DRC is set to off. BD-Live is disabled (no internet connection). I am also running the latest firmware version 3.34a.

I re-played the other movies and did not encounter any issues. It's just the Iron Man disc.

Anyone encountered such an issue? Suggestions?

When it's playing the other scenes the PQ/AQ is fantastic! Just amazing! thumbs up!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 197 Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by albeik View Post

Hi Guys! Hate to bring this old thread back up, but I maybe someone can help... So after enjoying my (first) Blu-ray player (BDP-320) playing Star Trek, Cars, The Fifth Element and Ratatouille... today I purchased Iron Man (2-Disc Ultimate Edition).

In some scenes (4 found so far) the movie just simply pauses. It's always the same scenes again and again. I wasn't sure if the disc was dirty (checked couple of times)... but it seemed clean and I just bought it.

I verified that the player is not hung - I can still click on "pop menu" and change scene and play with other settings.

BDP 320 is directly connected to the TV (Sony KDL37 XBR6) via HDMI. (No receiver is being used) All the settings are set to auto and DRC is set to off. BD-Live is disabled (no internet connection). I am also running the latest firmware version 3.34a.

I re-played the other movies and did not encounter any issues. It's just the Iron Man disc.

When it's playing the other scenes the PQ/AQ is fantastic! Just amazing! thumbs up!!

I dont recall any freezing when I watched it but its been a while so might have to check it out again.
post #183 of 197 Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

Greetings,

I haven't had any playback issues with this title. Are the problems repeatable at the same points during playback?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #184 of 197 Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Was just watching this again a couple of nights ago and never had any problems freezing/pausing or any of that. Might be something wrong with your player maybe?
post #185 of 197 Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgray View Post

The movie works. It works extremely well and it does so because of Downey. Iron Man is the best superhero film to come along since Batman Begins! [img]http://******************************************[/img]

Yes Jackgray i completely agree with you, that was one of the best superhero movie i've ever watched. Colors are perfect, i think they performed a great job in modelling the Iron Man. and one more point i would like to mark, in preparation of robotic movies with high details of modeling, if speed of the movie is higher than a ratio (human eyes has a limited capability of catching), all the details is gonna wasted. They did a good job in Iron Man with all the details and a reasonable frame rate.
post #186 of 197 Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgray View Post

The movie works. It works extremely well and it does so because of Downey. Iron Man is the best superhero film to come along since Batman Begins!

Can't disagree with that..

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #187 of 197 Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 PM

This is easily one of my favorite blu rays. As far as the freezing issue, I dont have that problem on my copy at all. Perhaps a bad copy?
post #188 of 197 Old 12-24-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No playback problems at all here, and I've had the movie for over a year using a Sony BDP-s550. It was my 1st BD actually. I 've probably watched it 15 times, and never had a glitch with it. I have really enjoyed it and it is one of my favorites. I have to say, I watched it the other night (using the SC-27 as a pre-amp) and turned off the DRC function. Wow, it was like a totally different sound track...Much more dynamic and engaging.
post #189 of 197 Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 AM

Though I liked this movie, for some reason the Audio didn't come across as well as what was put forward by Ralph. I am not saying anything against him but for some reason I found the bass and effects very lacking on my budget set up. I have watched a few other BR's on my set up that have just literally blown me away. I wonder why my system lacked where his sailed.
Recieverenon 1610 with an older 5.1 speaker set up.
post #190 of 197 Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by justphil View Post

Though I liked this movie, for some reason the Audio didn't come across as well as what was put forward by Ralph. I am not saying anything against him but for some reason I found the bass and effects very lacking on my budget set up. I have watched a few other BR's on my set up that have just literally blown me away. I wonder why my system lacked where his sailed.
Recieverenon 1610 with an older 5.1 speaker set up.

If you have one of the early discs, it would default many AVRs to turn on "Night Mode" or "Dynamic Range Compression." Check your manual and turn it to "off" and I bet you're blown away by the audio.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #191 of 197 Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

If you have one of the early discs, it would default many AVRs to turn on "Night Mode" or "Dynamic Range Compression." Check your manual and turn it to "off" and I bet you're blown away by the audio.

Good advice to which I would add (since I own the Denon 2309) you have to be playing the Iron Man BD in order to turn off DRC on Denon receivers, otherwise the setting to turn it on and off is not visible in the menu. I struggled with this problem for months before figuring out this simple solution. Of course it should be turned off in the Blu-ray player too. After turning off DRC the sound on this movie was terrific.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #192 of 197 Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Good advice to which I would add (since I own the Denon 2309) you have to be playing the Iron Man BD in order to turn off DRC on Denon receivers, otherwise the setting to turn it on and off is not visible in the menu. I struggled with this problem for months before figuring out this simple solution. Of course it should be turned off in the Blu-ray player too. After turning off DRC the sound on this movie was terrific.

Greetings,

Mr.G I am sorry that you struggled with this problem for so long. I did mention it in the audio/video portion of my review (final paragraph in italics).

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #193 of 197 Old 04-27-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Mr.G I am sorry that you struggled with this problem for so long. I did mention it in the audio/video portion of my review (final paragraph in italics).

Regards,

So you did. The answer was there all along. Problem was that I purchased the Denon about a month after you published your review and I never thought to read it for the hardware solution.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #194 of 197 Old 04-27-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

So you did. The answer was there all along. Problem was that I purchased the Denon about a month after you published your review and I never thought to read it for the hardware solution.

Greetings,

Gotcha..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #195 of 197 Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 AM

Hmmmmm I rented the BRD so I have no knowledge of when it was purchased. Yet again this forum proves what an invaluable resource it can be. You guys are all totally amazing.
I will look into this now as I have had a few other movies that seemed to lack some and didn't know why.
post #196 of 197 Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justphil View Post

Hmmmmm I rented the BRD so I have no knowledge of when it was purchased. Yet again this forum proves what an invaluable resource it can be. You guys are all totally amazing.
I will look into this now as I have had a few other movies that seemed to lack some and didn't know why.

Greetings,

You're more than welcome. Best of luck!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #197 of 197 Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
I created a thread on this DRC problem in the BR software thread where I found several other movies had the same DRC issue. Specifically 3 other movies I own were just as affected as Ironman. Troy, Daredevil and Black Hawk Down had all the same drastic improvement once I permently disabled DRC on my PS3 which defaults to automatic in the settings. The odd thing is that none of these movies have TrueHD as 2 are PCM and one is DTS-HD so I don't think it's just a TrueHD occurrence. For ages I couldn't figure out why these sounded like 3 star presentations where every review considered them close to 5 star presentations. Several other movies I owned also had noticeable improvements but not as pronounced as the aforementioned.

The big telltale sign it seems for any DRC issue seems to be volume level. If you have to crank it up much more than normal then DRC has been triggered and probably at fault. Now I'm just happy I found Black Hawk Down's room shattering bass that seemed to MIA in my living room when I first bought it.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Iron Man Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page