Feature running time: 740 Minutes
Genre: TV Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Uncompressed 5.1 PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Ellen Pompeo, Sandra Oh, Katherine Heigl, Patrick Dempsey, Chandra Wilson,
Directed by: Various
Music by: Danny Lux
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 9, 2008

"Operations. Relations. Complications"

Film Synopsis:

Enter a world of change in the irresistible and unforgettable fourth season of one of television's most acclaimed dramas, and experience Grey's Anatomy like never before on Blu-ray Disc. Love, lies and family ties are revealed as the surgeons of Seattle Grace discover that their choices have major unintended consequences. And coupled with the arrival of some very eager new interns, life at the hospital sizzles with more emotion, excitement and heartbreak than ever before. With an unparalleled pristine picture, theater quality sound and McDreamy bonus features, including never before seen extended episodes, this Blu-ray Disc edition is the perfect prescription for the ultimate Grey's Anatomy fan.

My Take:

I watched Grey's Anatomy once or twice while it was still a relatively new show. I thought the show was good and seemed to have a solid character/cast base. There appeared to be a good mix of new faces and experienced actors among the cast which created a nice balance. Season Four has them all well established and the writing is really quite good. This season picks up right where season three left off and has the interns, who are now residents, assigned their own interns to train. Callie has been promoted over Miranda and George, having not passed his intern test, is repeating the intern program. Meredith finds out that she has a half sister in Lexie and Callie struggles with her new position. The season's events play out with the hospital serving primarily as the background. This commingles the shows elements and generates plenty of melodrama for the characters at Seattle Grace Hospital. Season 4 saw the departure of several past season regulars and the addition of some new characters that brings another dimension to the show's continuing storyline. Season Guest stars included Edward Herrmann, Seth Green, and Lauren Stamile. Grey's Anatomy has a solid fan base and has established itself as a well written and acted TV drama. Spread out over 4 dual layered BD-50 Blu-ray discs, season Four's 16 episodes delivers some great moments and carries its momentum strongly into Season Five.

Parental Guide:

The TV rating is appropriate as the show features thematic elements and mature subject matter that would inappropriate for younger viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Grey's anatomy season four comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 mbps and lossless uncompressed 5.1 channel PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 4.6 mbps.

The 1.78:1 framed video looks solid and exhibits plenty of visible detail with well defined structure and consistent sharpness. Colors are naturally rendered with ample saturation and good tonal balance. Skin tones are characteristically distinguishable with lifelike complexional attributes. Black levels and shadow detail are above average. Other than some minor digital noise visible in light backgrounds I didn't notice any significant video related anomalies. The audio presentation did a good job of delivering the dialogue, music and sounds contained in the show's soundtrack. Being a dialogue driven program there was not a lot of surround sound usage present in the mix other than for ambient background effect. It worked well to provide a broader sense of depth and aura that was consistent based upon the onscreen environments/conditions.

Bonus Features:

This was a very good bonus feature package that while not long on quantity offered fans a fun and informative look at the show's fourth season. They are all presented in high definition which is always welcomed. The Season Play feature worked great. When enabled it is designed to recall the last location left off while viewing. It will do this regardless of which disc from the set is inserted. I stopped playback in the middle of an episode on disc two. I inserted disc four and when it loaded it showed which episode/disc including the timestamp where I left off. Cool.

• Audio commentary

• (HD) New Docs on the block - Get to know new characters Dr. Hahn, Lexie Grey, and Nurse Rose

• (HD) On the set with Patrick and Eric - A little behind the scenes fun with Patrick Dempsey and Eric Dane

• (HD) Good medicine: Favorite scenes - Cast and Crew discuss their favorite scenes from season 4

• (HD) Dissecting Grey's anatomy: 8 Deleted scenes from season 4

• (HD) In stitches: Outtakes from season 4

• (HD) One quick cut - A recap of Grey's anatomy season's 1, 2, and 3

• (HD) Extended episode: Forever Young - includes audio commentary with Actress Laren Stamile and Executive Producer/Director Rob Corn

• Season Play feature - When enabled it will remember where viewing was last left off

Final Thoughts:

Grey's anatomy has established itself as a successful TV series/drama and after checking out season 4 it's easy to see why. It features a great cast, strong characters and excellent writing that is easy to become devoted to. Disney/ABC Studios has brought it to Blu-ray Disc day and date with DVD featuring good high definition audio/video quality and Blu-ray Disc exclusive features that are sure to please its fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page