Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
attachment.php?attachmentid=117252&d=1219173021
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Find this disc at these retailers: 1?mpt=[CacheBuster]&adtype=1&size=1x1&type=3&campid=5336107530&toolid=10001Amazon.com | eBay.com | Buy.com | CircuitCity.com

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2005
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 101 Minutes
Genre: Musical

Disc Format: BD- 25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/60

Audio Format(s): Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English, Chinese, Dutch, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Portuguese
Starring: Ensemble
Directed by: Daniele Finzi Pasca
Music by: Maria Bonzanigo, Daniele Finzi Pasca, Roger Hewett, Philippe Leduc
Written by: Daniele Finzi Pasca
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 23, 2008

"Illusion teases reality"

Film Synopsis:

Bring home the magic, artistry and phenomenal acrobatics of Corteo, the latest Cirque du Soleil show, captured in hi definition! Corteo, which means "cortege" in Italian, is a joyous procession, a festive parade imagined by a clown. The show brings together the passion of the actor with the grace and power of the acrobat to plunge the audience into a theatrical world of fun, comedy and spontaneity situated in a mysterious space between heaven and earth. The clown pictures his own funeral taking place in a carnival atmosphere, watched over by quietly caring angels. Juxtaposing the large with the small, the ridiculous with the tragic and the magic of perfection with the charm of imperfection, the show highlights the strength and fragility of the clown, as well as his wisdom and kindness, to illustrate the portion of humanity that is within each of us. The music, by turns lyrical and playful, carries Corteo through a timeless celebration in which illusion teases reality.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=120478&d=1222191357

This summer while on vacation I saw my first Cirque Du Soleil in Las Vegas. It was truly impressive and unlike any other stage performance that I had seen previously. The best way to describe it would be that it combined incredible acrobatic feats with beautiful operatic style ballet and story telling. There are multiple Cirque Du Soleil shows and each has a different story/theme. Corteo is a story about the funeral of a clown as seen through his eyes. Just like KA, the show I saw this summer, Corteo is truly magnificent in its grandeur and acrobatic precision. I found the “story” to be abstract and after a while I just sat back and enjoyed the physical aspects of the performance. This included high flying trapeze artists, trampoline inspired pillow fights, flying angles, and the best one man whistling exhibition that I have ever seen. I thought that the music and acting performances were quite good. The problem with seeing a show like this on video is that it lacks the immediacy associated with seeing the elements in a live setting. Seeing things that occur simultaneously within your field of view as well as its three dimensional visual aspects gets lost through the camera’s eye. Regardless, seeing the things that these entertainers can do is truly remarkable and a testament to their dedication to their craft.

Parental Guide:

This disc in unrated but their nothing contained within this presentation that would not be appropriate for general audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=120479&d=1222191357

Corteo Cirque Du Soleil comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

There is a statement on the back of the disc jacket that indicates that “this performance film utilizes low light photography and other factors that contribute to the overall grain structure. This visual style has been retained for this high definition presentation”. Honestly, I am not sure what they are referring to. The early part of the performance is filmed through a transparent curtain which was obviously apparent. Other than that I didn’t see any “overall grain structure” inherent in the video. Other than some noise in a couple of dark backgrounds, I thought that images were well defined with consistent sharpness and definitive resolution. Colors were well saturated with clean rendering and natural tonality. Blacks had good dynamic range and respectable depth. The production uses limited lighting which didn’t lend images to being overly vibrant but I found the video quality to be quite good overall. The lossless audio was equivalent to the video as it rendered the material with clarity and detail that allowed its highlights to rise to the surface. The entire surround platform was used to re-create the open and reverberant expanse of the theater. Dialogue was clear for the most part but sometimes with live recordings strict intelligibility can be difficult to achieve. Occasionally the quality of the dialogue wavered however this is related to the recording and not the encoding. The music sounded fully textured with excellent imaging and discernible instrumentation that filled the listening area. This was a beautifully crafted audio/video presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Through the curtain - Featurette

• A day in the life of Corteo artists - Documentary

• Filming Corteo - Featurette

• Teatro Intimo

• Photo Gallery

• BD-Live access – Spotlight Blu-ray Discs and 8 downloadable Blu-ray Disc trailers
attachment.php?attachmentid=120480&d=1222191357

Final Thoughts:

I thought that Corteo Cirque Su Soleil was enjoyable but its abstract storytelling could be off putting. The acrobatic performances are unquestionably superb and worth checking out. If you have never seen any of the Cirque Du Soleil and are curious you should give this a rent. The audio/video quality is good enough that it may entice you to add this disc to your collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Good review Ralph! I will be getting this today and will give it a spin... I saw the performance a while ago here in DC, so lets see how does it look in the BD...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #3 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I am watching this disk and I think that overall has the same look as to what I saw during the live performance... This kind of shows makes it challenging to be presented in video format....the audio is not that bad...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #4 of 6 Old 09-28-2008, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I am watching this disk and I think that overall has the same look as to what I saw during the live performance... This kind of shows makes it challenging to be presented in video format....the audio is not that bad...

Greetings,

I agree. I thought the audio was just fine..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many of the later Cirque shows on DVD used a manic MTV style of camera work that diminished my enjoyment of these amazing stage shows. Is this true of this production?

As many have said before, if you haven't seen one of these shows live, do yourself a favor and take the family.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedees View Post

Many of the later Cirque shows on DVD used a manic MTV style of camera work that diminished my enjoyment of these amazing stage shows. Is this true of this production?

As many have said before, if you haven't seen one of these shows live, do yourself a favor and take the family.

Totally agree on the camera work....all over the place.

Of course it I can say its hard to get all that going on in a Cirgue Du Soleil show.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page