Feature running time: 151 Minutes
Genre: Romantic comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English & Spanish
Starring: Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Chris Noth
Written & Directed by: Michael Patrick King
Music by: Aaron Zigman
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 23, 2008

"Lovethe only label that never goes out of style"

Film Synopsis:

For too long, Carrie Bradshaw (Sara Jessica Parker) had been looking for love in all the wrong places...but in all the right shoes. In this much anticipated movie event, Carrie, Samantha (Kim Cattrall), Charlotte (Kristin Davis) and Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) are back, four years after the hit TV series ended. As they continue to juggle career, relationships, motherhood and life in Manhattan, the girls realize that more than ever, true friendship never goes out of style.

My Take:

When this show was on HBO my wife loved to watch it. Occasionally I would watch episodes with her. For a show about four women living in NYC etc. I thought it wasn't bad and didn't mind catching an episode when I could. I found that all of them (perhaps with the exception of Miranda) had an appealing side that at one point or another made them likeable. Honestly, I found Charlotte to be the most appealing. Here is a genuinely nice woman and while she might be a little naive, seems to be the best judge of character and rarely has much to offer at confession. Samantha's blunt nature and uncontrollable passion for sex can be hard to tolerate but when the chips are down she is the first one in your corner. Carrie is needy and unluckily in love which is why she is so fortunate to be surrounded by three such loyal compatriots. Miranda is smart, judgmental, and whiney which I sometimes see as her good points. To be fair though she is sometimes the glue that keeps the four of them together. My wife went and saw this in the theater and said it was like an extended episode of the show and very good. After watching this I would have to agree. Having watched the series is not a prerequisite to being able to enjoy the movie. I will say that being familiar with the characters and their history does enhance the experience a bit. The film opens with just some quick snippets on each character as described by Carrie and includes clips from the show. This provides some foundation for those who have never watched the series. The story centers on Carrie but there are four distinct story lines in the film that involve each of the four women. They include male interests for each of them and their characters from the series are reprised as are the actors who portrayed them.

The fact that Sex and the City the movie plays out very much like an extended episode of the show is in my opinion not a bad thing as the show was very successful. What I appreciated about the writing is that is didn't try to go outside of the lines and be more than that because it's a feature length film. It stayed true to the feeling of the show and its characters but with a deeper storyline. The things that I liked about the show were very much present in the film. The actresses that portray the four main players, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon are all very familiar/comfortable/confident in these characters. This makes their onscreen chemistry undeniably fervent. I think that what I like most about it is the bond shared by these four friends. In my opinion everyone should have friendships like that.

Parental Guide:

This film contains graphic nudity, language, sexual content, and alcohol use. This is not a film for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Sex and the City, the movie comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.7 mbps.

This Blu-ray Disc delivers beautiful 1080p high definition video quality. It comes framed in a 1.85:1 AR that boasts vivid eye catching colors that feature rich, vibrant textures and deeply saturated hues. Flesh tones are lively with natural tones and variable complexional rendering among the cast. Images are dimensionally divergent with crisp lines and resolute sharpness. Detail is opulent which allows the fine texture and surface structure within clothing, objects, and personal characteristics of the actors to be easily discernible. White and Black levels maintain excellent balance so that bright scenes are punchy while offering visible white detail and darker scenes had solid contrast with deep gradational blacks and excellent shadow detail. A look at the scene when Steve comes to Miranda'a apartment to pick up Brady on New Year's Eve is an example. As he stands in the threshold of the doorway in the lowlight he is wearing an all black wool coat. The outline and structure of the lapels and the folds/creases is clearly visible while the jacket remains deep black. Another example is during the day when the girls arrive at a high end fashion show Samantha slips on the snow covered walkway. The texture of the snow piled on either wide of the walkway is visible as is the furry fleece of her solid white full length coat. I didn't see any obvious signs or compression related video anomalies or bit starvation. I thought this was an excellent video presentation.

For some reason the default soundtrack option on this disc was the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. This disc has no main menu and when the disc is inserted the movie starts. That isn't a problem but I thought that I would mention it. Accessing the pop-up menu I switched to the lossless Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. The audio sounded full bodied with excellent sonic detail and crystal clear dialogue throughout. It made ample use of the entire surround platform and presented a spatially diverse sound field that appropriately rendered the elements contained within the soundtrack. I thought that it sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Director Commentary

• (HD) A conversation with Sarah Jessica Parker and Director Michael Patrick King

• (HD) The fabulous fashions of Sex and the City - Featurette

• Fergie: In the studio

• 4 Deleted scenes with optional commentary track

• (HD) The City: an interactive map that details various NYC locales

• Dish it! - An interactive pop up feature that when enabled provides trivia, fun facts and juicy tidbits about the film

• Digital Copy - A bonus disc that contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

Final Thoughts:

Sex and the City the movie allows fans the opportunity to re-visit these characters and it does so using a thematic style which is reminiscent of the series. While I wouldn't call myself a fan I do have an appreciation for a well written and acted film that I found enjoyable. New Line has delivered top notch video quality and decent set of bonus supplements which includes a standard definition Digital Copy of the film and Blu-ray disc exclusive features. I would say that Sex and the City the movie on Blu-ray Disc is a must have for fans. For others I would recommend a rental but don't be surprised if you find that you like it more than you thought you would.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree mostly with the review. I didn't feel that it had that sort of the out of the window look, with the exception of the Mexican resort scenes...

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #3 of 9 Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I agree mostly with the review. I didn't feel that it had that sort of the out of the window look, with the exception of the Mexican resort scenes...

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions Chris..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #4 of 9 Old 09-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both your man cards are revoked....Just Kidding

Stephen
post #5 of 9 Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ralph, you didn't have any dialog issues with the Dolby TrueHD track? The dialnorm on this one seemed way excesive. I had to really crank up my receiver.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Ralph, you didn't have any dialog issues with the Dolby TrueHD track? The dialnorm on this one seemed way excesive. I had to really crank up my receiver.

Greetings,

No issues there allargon...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 03:23 PM

I know most of the guys here are more interested in the technical details of the Blu-ray transfer, but just wanted to comment on the movie. Just watched it, and a definite thumbs up. Yes, I'm a fan of the series, but the movie exceeded my expectations. I'd give it 4 1/2 stars
post #8 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazza View Post

I know most of the guys here are more interested in the technical details of the Blu-ray transfer, but just wanted to comment on the movie. Just watched it, and a definite thumbs up. Yes, I'm a fan of the series, but the movie exceeded my expectations. I'd give it 4 1/2 stars

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts shazza...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So, the description says," Parental Guide:
This film contains graphic nudity, language, sexual content, and alcohol use. This is not a film for young viewers. "

So, who gets naked, how, why, for how long, how naked, etc.?

I mean, these are some hot women, but who wants to hear them talk?

(I'm kidding. Really.)

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page