Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 132 Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
whats up with all the blue streaks in this movie. It occurs on especiall bright white light reflections of some sort. Happens on both my tv's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post

It's comments like this that make me wonder if thoses with big issues with the film even saw the first three. I mean where exactly does Crystal Skull cross the line to "unbelievable" where the others do not? Is jumping out of a plane with a rubber raft believable? or maybe a 700 year old Knight hanging out in a cave is believable, or how about Super Natural forces melting the faces off anyone that looks at them? If there is one thing these films are about, it's "unbelievable" plot points and stunts, that's the whole point, and that's where the series came from.

I definitely will not be buying this movie. The previous Indiana Jones movies were over the top, but this was far beyond over the top. Incredibly disappointing. I spent $1.06 to rent on DVD, and I think that was too much. They should've paid me to see it.

Bob
post #93 of 132 Old 11-04-2008, 03:18 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz! View Post

Yeah! They should have substituted the aliens with something real.. like Angels!

Well even something like an egyptian Pharoah of some importance who has something to do with the creation of the pyramids.

Frank
post #94 of 132 Old 11-04-2008, 03:20 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post

It's comments like this that make me wonder if thoses with big issues with the film even saw the first three. I mean where exactly does Crystal Skull cross the line to "unbelievable" where the others do not? Is jumping out of a plane with a rubber raft believable? or maybe a 700 year old Knight hanging out in a cave is believable, or how about Super Natural forces melting the faces off anyone that looks at them? If there is one thing these films are about, it's "unbelievable" plot points and stunts, that's the whole point, and that's where the series came from.

It's the aliens that wrecked it, you might as well put the couple from x-files and it would of been a great X-file flick. Flabber neck just chose a crappy script.

Frank
post #95 of 132 Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Suppose you guys who discount the Alien connection in the movie are aware of the Nazca lines....etc?
http://www.travelblog.org/South-Amer...og-217201.html

"Eric Von Daniken is another name attatched to nazca as he is really big in the UFO world, back in the 1970's he once said that Nazca had extra terrestrial origins as he worked out that the
Scary Bloggers 2
About to do some Nazca linesstrange and very precise runway lines were made by aliens, for aliens and the one alien shape that is raised up on the side of a mound looks as if he is clearly waving a signal of Nanoo-Nanoo' to his mates in orbit, EVD said that this is actually an important land mark sign for those from outer space trying to land their ships safely without any earthlings with digital cameras seeing them....shuzzbut!"

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #96 of 132 Old 11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

whats up with all the blue streaks in this movie. It occurs on especiall bright white light reflections of some sort. Happens on both my tv's.

It called lens flare and is usually done by the directors direction ....they went way overboard on this one, it was really annoying and detracted from the film, I thought my PJ was having issues it was so bad.

Other films have it and can be a cool effect when done properly and with style and restraint, such as Transformers and Phantom to name a couple.
post #97 of 132 Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 AM

Liked: 10
I did notice the blue streaks. But also entire scenes in the film seemed all blue or all brown. Did anyone else think the colors on the Blu Ray Edition of The Crystal Skull were horrible?
post #98 of 132 Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Before I comment on the movie, I have to say that I rented the blu ray version and it didn't play well on my PS3. The movie paused at several points then seemed to move forward with a small skip. - It was frustrating but I was determined to watch it through its entirety. Overall between the playback issue and the story line, I was shall we say underwhelmed.

At best, the movie looked "tired" and was akin to many movies were they run into problems keeping the audience in the same state as originally found in the first of a series. The Matrix and The Mummy come to mind here.

The Indiana Jones stories at one time paid tribute to the movie serials of yore. As such it was a nice touch and allowed people to suspend disbelief as the film, story line and such were well crafted. The 2D villains were "painted in" to a level that added to one's desire to cheer on Indiana. In this installment, we are left with the female anti-hero being poorly drawn, a friend of the hero turn bad (reminded me of the wimpy guy in The Mummy who by greed got left in the pyramid and eaten by the scarab beetles), and a bunch of Russian soldiers that were just "extras" in the film.

I believe that if we listed all the movie vehicles used we would all agree there were some really good ideas. Sadly, I find virtually all of them poorly exploited and the film suffered for it.

One might have known the movie was in trouble the minute they decided to stray in the opening scenes from an Indiana Jones experience that set's the tone. What they did give us was a tone that was just shy of formula TV and lackluster precision (the Russians taking over a ware house; yes, so very exciting not). This was a fast and cheap way to set the story line on tract and rob the viewer of the expected opening face off.

The juxtaposition of the red scare and the russians was an amusing background for the movie but as stated, the russians fell short of being a well drawn out entity. For younger audiences, they wont understand the construct of American fear and that yes there was a real threat but mostly, unpublished actions.

Some scenes in the movie were derivative at best. As the saucer (prepared to leave the earth) took off, one can't help be reminded of the swirling disappearance of the pyramid in one of the Mummy movies. The greedy traitor in this movie gets his just desserts in a similar fashion to the little wimpy secondary character in the Mummy series who eventually gets eaten by the scarab beetles. - I can go on and on about similarities to other films.

Overall, its a pity that they, to coin my self - ' told the wrong part of the story' which might have focused better on the father/son aspect, the fantasy exploits of the skull, and I guess I would have opted to NOT show a saucer. The continuity was amusingly strange here. Why was there a need for a "portal" AND a saucer? The portal would have sufficed and more time spent with a subplot on this turn of the story. (The Roswell part could be explained as smaller ships coming through the portal.)

As a 4th and perhaps last installment of a series, more care has to be taken to tie up ends properly, open a few new doors (such as his son) and remain true to the original story. I believe this makes for a good series of movies. Indiana Jones barely passes on this and it is a pity.

Just peanuts from the gallery here and if you enjoyed this movie I am glad and if not, then you might want to watch it and see what things you find bothered you and replay the original so you get that "shine" back on the Indiana Jones character.

- Phrehdd
post #99 of 132 Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I didn't find the "other world" elements in this latest Indy to be so out of place compared with the previous films' spiritual plot elements.

Raiders...Old Testament. Temple...Hinduism. Crusade...New Testament.

And now we have Skull with the extraterrestrial plot element. There is a very popular religion/life choice in Hollywood that would understand the "extraterrestrial life influenced culture" slant. And it's one that a recent Spielberg colleague would approve.

I don't know how much Tom Cruise and his fellow Scientologists such as John Travolta were a factor in Spielberg/Lukas going for a more modern religion for this one but I thought the 1950s era outer space B-movie genre mix for it was fun.

Btw, someone mentioned they were happy to hear Spielberg or Lukas did a running commentary. But there isn't one. I bought the Blu-ray disc and, like the two-disc SD DVD, it does have extensive behind the scenes material that comes about as close as you can get to a running commentary without actually being one.
post #100 of 132 Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Rented this and watched it last night. Loads of fun, with wonderful picture and sound, but tried a little hard to be an Indy movie...too much cliche'. The colors were really quite over-the-top vivid, but I wasn't looking for realism so it worked out. The TrueHD track was quite enveloping, and the booms were...booms. It seems the lens flares were a major feature, as prevalent and obvious as they were. I wouldn't be surprised if they were added-in later, to give it a certain "look". Looked like "Tron" at points.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #101 of 132 Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM

I can't believe I'm even bumping this but..............................

WORST INDY EVER! That Ally McBeal chick talked Harrison into doing it, and by convincing themselves that Harrision wasn't to old to play the part, Lucas and Speilberg stroke their own egos and feel that maybe they're not too old to be relevant.

Sorry, terrible terrible terrible. It was the most rediculous movie I've seen and tarnishes the franchise. Dumb
post #102 of 132 Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I took my 2 boys to see it and we loved it. I have seen all the originals in theater and had to see this one. Its great and hope to see 2 more to make this a 6 movie deal..Long live Indie
post #103 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 AM

Saw it in the theater with my wife when it came out. She never saw the old movies so in preparation we watched them. She liked the old movies but did not like the new one.
I think they just made the movie a bit unbelievable with the aliens and all, they should just have stayed with the old format of tombs and ancient civilizations
post #104 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Being a huge fan of the trilogy, I couldn't help but enjoy Indy 4 even though it fell far short of my hopes and expectations for such a long awaited sequel as well - too many chiefs maybe. Though, the last time I revisited the trilogy on DVD, they seemed mighty cheesy at times too. My teenage mentality was much more forgiving.

The alien twist in 4 seemed pretty logical though, considering that's so often the ascribed theory behind the advanced achievements of some ancient civilizations that still baffle science and seemingly defy a more terrestrial explanation. If anything it was too predictable, if not cliche.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #105 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterduke View Post

I think they just made the movie a bit unbelievable with the aliens and all, they should just have stayed with the old format of tombs and ancient civilizations

Indiana Jones 4 has turned out to reveal a fascinating social phenomena..

People think magic (face-melting ark sand, mind control, still-beating-heart removal, immortality cup) is believable, and life outside of earth is unbelievable.
post #106 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

...it fell far short of my hopes and expectations for such a long awaited sequel as well - too many chiefs maybe. Though, the last time I revisited the trilogy on DVD, they seemed mighty cheesy at times too. My teenage mentality was much more forgiving.

The alien twist in 4 seemed pretty logical though, considering that's so often the ascribed theory behind the advanced achievements of some ancient civilizations that still baffle science and seemingly defy a more terrestrial explanation. If anything it was too predictable, if not cliche.

exactly...
post #107 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

First and formost people need to realize this is a MOVIE. Next how real were any of the other Indie films? Its an adventure. Its fun..

There are only 3 parts in the movie that make you say...whahahawhhatt..

the water fall part
Mut in the trees
Indie in refrigerator after blast.

The aliens are fine and fit in with everything else in every Indie movie I have seen.

Great movie. Great cast. Great music. Best part is when Indie gets out of the car and picks his hat up and puts it on..Classic Indie.
post #108 of 132 Old 05-04-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieson View Post

First and formost people need to realize this is a MOVIE. Next how real were any of the other Indie films? Its an adventure. Its fun..

There are only 3 parts in the movie that make you say...whahahawhhatt..

the water fall part
Mut in the trees
Indie in refrigerator after blast.

The aliens are fine and fit in with everything else in every Indie movie I have seen.

Great movie. Great cast. Great music. Best part is when Indie gets out of the car and picks his hat up and puts it on..Classic Indie.

I'd have to add the natives coming out of the woodwork, particularly at the end. I can handle far-fetched, but the natives just seemed a purposeless and unexplained obstacle.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #109 of 132 Old 05-05-2009, 03:28 PM

I can't believe this was bumped lol [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG].

But I'll def chime in and say this movie was just... wow... bad. Just wow...
post #110 of 132 Old 05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan View Post

I can't believe this was bumped lol [IMG]http://www.entertainment-place.info/smile/img/2659/*************************[/IMG].

But I'll def chime in and say this movie was just... wow... bad. Just wow...

Everyone has their own opinions and thats fine and dandy. BUT the movie was not bad. It just wasnt. It was fun and full of excitement and adventure. Thats what Indie films are about.

If the movie was bad nobody would have liked it. But me and my 2 boys loved it. And I grew up on the originals...Cant wait for them to release the next movie in the chapter..
post #111 of 132 Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I loved it. I love all the Indy movies. Can you imagine if Temple of Doom were released today? The same people that love it, would eviscerate it completely. Also if Crystal had been released when we were all kids, the exact opposite would happen. They'd all be singing it's praises cause it would be the movie that took them back to when they were a kid. I think too many people are too grown up to really appreciate these kinds of movies anymore. It's a fun movie, and not to be picked apart and taken seriously. If the fridge scene, the Mutt scene and the waterfalls scene are just too hard to believe, then I'd like to hear logical explanations for the heart beating scene and the falling out of a plane in a raft scene from ToD.
post #112 of 132 Old 05-09-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I didn't care for it after the first viewing, but I gave it a second chance since I knew what my expectations were....it held up better the second time. I could just relax and enjoy the craziness (though the waterfall scene was still damn ridiculous lol), and not allow the disappointment from failing to live up to expectations affect me.
post #113 of 132 Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 AM

yeah, its not to bad on the second viewing [img]http://imagesshack.info/************[/img]
post #114 of 132 Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

I loved it. I love all the Indy movies. Can you imagine if Temple of Doom were released today? The same people that love it, would eviscerate it completely. Also if Crystal had been released when we were all kids, the exact opposite would happen. They'd all be singing it's praises cause it would be the movie that took them back to when they were a kid. I think too many people are too grown up to really appreciate these kinds of movies anymore. It's a fun movie, and not to be picked apart and taken seriously. If the fridge scene, the Mutt scene and the waterfalls scene are just too hard to believe, then I'd like to hear logical explanations for the heart beating scene and the falling out of a plane in a raft scene from ToD.

You are exactly right...I would hate for the movie to NOT give us that "whahahattt factor"...Its what makes it INDIE...Its a great movie and I stand firm on my view..
post #115 of 132 Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I thought the waterfall scenes were not only beautiful but one of the funniest parts of the movie. And it just wouldn't be a Indiana Jones movie without unbelivable scenes. I didn't see anyone mention the prehistoric size ants!

Jeff
post #116 of 132 Old 05-10-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

It really is one of the worst lame sequels i have ever seen.....A true missed opportunity and they failed to capture the charm of the originals....Everyone's rushing around but no one's actually doing much....The originals travelled the globe but this one does little of that and it's like Lucas and Spielberg wanted to put a snake joke in so they lamely had them escape just to get that scene in....I mean truly thats just one example of forced humor and forced action in this film.....

Ok i get it....You are easily pleased and loved the movie....Fine i am not so easily pleased....Oh and the usually reliable John Williams wasn't on form this time around and the music score just stank.....On past Indy movies he built on the original theme but this time it was just horrible and i truly appreciate a good music score and this wasn't it.

In Temple of Doom they did fall out of a plane but they did it with charm and style and in this latest one they failed to find that charm or style....It made lots of money but it just goes to show you that an iconic brand name sells no matter how bad it is.....Hoping Indy 5 is better than this turkey.

I agree. I was really disappointed by the poor score Williams did, the poor direction (never dreamed I would say that about a Indiana Jones film directed by Spielberg) and horrible script. Indy 4 may be a fun movie for some but unfortunately it's not what I call a Indiana Jones film -see any of the first three to see a real Indiana Jones film.

Even my parents who enjoyed the originals thought Indy 4 was just plain bad.

And as a huge fan of the original three - I hope they don't make Indy 5 (as it would be made quicker). Look how long they had to make Indy 4 and this was the best they could come up with. This one won't make it into my collection.

Here's hoping the originals come to bluray sooner than later.
post #117 of 132 Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:

It's a fun movie, and not to be picked apart and taken seriously.

That wasn't the problem. It just wasn't a entertaining movie like the earlier films for many people.
post #118 of 132 Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

Great post and agreed

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #119 of 132 Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz! View Post

Indiana Jones 4 has turned out to reveal a fascinating social phenomena..
People think magic (face-melting ark sand, mind control, still-beating-heart removal, immortality cup) is believable, and life outside of earth is unbelievable.

Haha, you know what I mean, I think they could have just left Aliens out of an Indy movies.
post #120 of 132 Old 05-14-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally saw this last weekend and was, like many others, pretty disappointed. I felt like the movie never left the sound stage, it was more special effect driven than character or story driven and other dimensional beings?
When they briefly showed the Ark my wife and I agreed they should have based the movie around a theft of the Ark and had the series come full circle.
Not the worst I've seen but once was enough for me.

Kagolu
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Indiana by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page