Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 1974
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 105 Minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin
Starring: Gene Wilder, Teri Garr, Cloris Leachman Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman, Madeline Kahn
Directed by: Mel Brooks
Music by: John Morris
Written by: Gene Wilder & Mel Brooks
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 7, 2008

"The scariest comedy of all time comes to Blu-ray!"

Film Synopsis:

Mel Brooks' crazy tribute to Mary Shelley's classic novel pokes hilarious fun at just about every Frankenstein movie ever made. Summoned by a will to his late grandfather's castle in Transylvania, young Dr. Frankenstein (Wilder) soon discovers the scientist's step-by-step manual explaining how to bring a corpse to life. Assisted by the hunchback Igor (Feldman) and the curvaceous Inga (Garr), he creates a monster (Boyle) who only wants to be loved.

My Take:

Mel Brooks is such a genius. His comedic style is timeless and Young Frankenstein is considered by many to be his crowning achievement. I won't go into an in depth description of the story because hopefully if you are reading this you have seen this classic film. It has been written about, imitated, parodied, and dissected over the years and most who see it come away with the same impression (great movie!). Young Frankenstein is one of the funniest films of its generation and has become part of American Cinematic culture. If you don't believe me you can check the National Film Registry in the Library of Congress where it has been preserved after being deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" in 2003 by the National Film Preservation Board. Those who are intimately familiar with the film love to quote some of its classic lines of which there are many. Wilder and Brooks did a fantastic job in creating the script and Brooks attention to detail and creative decisions added an entirely new element to the film. The cast was just perfect in their respective places and their genuine affection for one another was noticeably conveyed to their characters. Young Frankenstein is a film that should be experienced at least once by all film lovers. I can almost guarantee that one viewing won't be enough!

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild thematic material. There is nothing contained in this film that would inappropriate for preteen aged viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 70

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Young Frankenstein comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 channel Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.

When this film was conceived it was decided from the outset that it should be shot in black and white. This was in an effort to give it the look and feel of the original monster classic that starred Boris Karloff. Conceptually this was a smart move that at the time wasn't something that was regularly being done. In that light, Brooks chose film stock and used camera techniques etc. that would further that end. The result was very effective and helped to enhance the films artistic appeal. In looking at this high definition video presentation it appears that every effort was made to faithfully reproduce the elements contained in the film. This is not a movie that will offer an over abundance of razor sharp highlights or visually penetrating resolution. Images were well resolved with clear definition and discernible sharpness. Softening crept in occasionally but it appeared to be photography related and honestly never negatively impacted fidelity. Close ups of the cast looked great and delivered fairly descriptive fine detail with visibly highlighted gradational tones. Wider angle shots were less revealing of object detail in backgrounds which made them appear less dimensional. Blacks weren't inky but looked solidly deep against the varying shades of gray and white. There were instances where I noticed a lack of detail/structure in black objects (especially clothing) that had texture, folds, or other descriptive variants that based upon the lighting should have presented some level of visibility. This resulted in them appearing flat black rather then having semi dimensional depth. Contrast levels maintained consistent balance throughout. This helped bring out the gradational stages within whites and grays. The film has a noticeably grainy texture that enhances the director's stylistic vision of re-creating the look of 1931's Frankenstein. Grain appears fully intact and well preserved over the course of the presentation.

The high resolution audio mix had no trouble conveying the elements present in this soundtrack. Dialogue sounded great as it had ample weight and clarity which gave it good articulation and prominence within the front soundstage. This is a front heavy presentation with most of the discrete portions of the audio being generated by the main channels and dialogue through the center channel. The soundfield wasn't the broadest and the dynamic range didn't provide impressive sonic impact and resolute sound quality however this track sounded just fine. The violin music had a wonderfully eerie and clearly defined tone that wasn't edgy or harsh. John Morris' music had appreciable warmth and presence that was viably rich amid the other elements contained in the mix. The surrounds were used sparingly for environmental ambience. This was perfect because it offered a bit more atmospheric perception but still maintained the films front reliant presentation which is more in keeping with how it probably sounded originally.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by Mel Brooks

• Inside the lab: Secret formulas in the making of Young Frankenstein - Bonus view PiP feature

• 17 Deleted scenes offered in HD or SD resolutions

• (HD) It's Alive! - Creating a monster classic featurette

• Making Frankensense of Young Frankenstein featurette

• (HD) Transylvanian lullaby: The music of John Morris featurette

• The Franken-Track: A monstrous conglomeration of trivia

• Blucher Button - press it and hear the infamous whinnying of the horse

• Outtakes - Five minutes of fun bloopers

• Isolated music score track

• Mexican interviews: Marty Feldman, Gene Wilder/Cloris Leachman

• 3 TV Spots

• Production photos

• 5 trailers

Final Thoughts:

Young Frankenstein is a classic comedy that over the years has had a significant impact on American Cinema. Its release on high definition Blu-ray Disc has been anticipated by fans since the formats inception. I am pleased to report that it has never looked or sounded better on home video. This release offers a superb bonus feature set that includes never before seen content. This disc should have a place in every collection and comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Ralph,

Is this one safe for kids? I wanted to watch it tonight with the family, but don't want the ire of the other half for exposing the kids My suspicion is that it's OK and most of the jokes will go over their head, but I want to be sure. PG movies from the 70's and 80's have caught us off guard a few times!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Somewhere towards the end someone shouts the s-word. This surprised me, but i don't think my son heard it. There's a few damns and hells thrown in there too, along with plenty of sexual innuendo, but nothing too over the top.
post #4 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Ralph,

Is this one safe for kids? I wanted to watch it tonight with the family, but don't want the ire of the other half for exposing the kids My suspicion is that it's OK and most of the jokes will go over their head, but I want to be sure. PG movies from the 70's and 80's have caught us off guard a few times!

It certainly has a few sexual innuendos, in fact it has probably my favorite one of all time, involving door knockers. Its much more subtle than Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles though. I wouldn't hesitate showing it to Jr HS age kids, but thats me.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

There are a few sexual innuendo in this movie but nothing really importent. And it may well go over their head as you say but you should be advised anyway
post #6 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:

Ralph,

Greetings,

Dave, it should be fine for your kids. As previously stated there is some mild innuendo that even if they got it isn't overtly bad. Every family is different though so its hard to judge what might be too much.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 PM

My favorite Mel Brooks movie by far. As far as the innuendo, yeah it's there. Personally, I probably wouldn't show this to a kid under 13. But that's just me.
post #8 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ralph,

You should be fine, but Teri Garr is hot in this film
post #9 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

You should be fine, but Teri Garr is hot in this film

Greetings,

Absolutely....

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #10 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmac1 View Post

My favorite Mel Brooks movie by far. As far as the innuendo, yeah it's there. Personally, I probably wouldn't show this to a kid under 13. But that's just me.

Good advice, my parents took me along to see this movie when it came out in theaters. I was 10 years old. Me and the 20 other kids that were in the theater all grew up into hopeless sex addicts.

As a matter of fact, don't let your kids see it unless they're 18...that way you're not responsible if they turn into nymphos after viewing.

I've seen way more innuedo on the sitcom 2-and-a-half-men.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Just the thought of the "Puttin' on the ritz" scene still makes me laugh.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 175
"Daddy...what's a schwanstuker?"

post #13 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

"Daddy...what's a schwanstuker?"

And why would it make him quite popular with the ladies?

Outside of the "what knockers!!" line, there's also the scene with the Monster and Elizabeth (the doctor's fiancée) following her abduction. It will be quite obvious what he's doing. In fact, it's probably the least subtle moment in the film.

When my daughter was 13, I had no problem with her watching it. Granted, I did squirm a bit during the aforementioned scene, but it's a small price to pay for such a hilarious movie.

But like another poster mentioned, 2.5 Men is filled with innuendo like that.
post #14 of 22 Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

2.5 Men is more than innuendo..it's pretty blatant!

David Vaughn

post #15 of 22 Old 10-11-2008, 12:43 PM

I still can't figure out how a classic like this, with 5 "stars" for film, and 4.5 stars for extras only garners a 75.

Reviews of absolute dogs have scored higher. More weight should be factored in on more important items. Or at the very least, the summary should show a bit more detail as to how the score came to be.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers,

Karl

the shortest distance between 2 points isn't the point
post #16 of 22 Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlito1 View Post

I still can't figure out how a classic like this, with 5 "stars" for film, and 4.5 stars for extras only garners a 75.

Reviews of absolute dogs have scored higher. More weight should be factored in on more important items. Or at the very least, the summary should show a bit more detail as to how the score came to be.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers,

Karl

Greetings,

One has nothing to do with the other which is why the film is rated separately from the audio/video. The techincal rating in no way reflects negatively on the quality of the film itself. Which important items deserve more weight in your opinion?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 22 Old 10-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Hi Ralph,

That's exactly my point. It gives a false impression of how good a movie really is. Maybe a side by side comparison would do the review more justice - how good is the movie vs. how good the transfer to DVD is.

Thanks for the reply.

cheers,

Karl

the shortest distance between 2 points isn't the point
post #18 of 22 Old 10-11-2008, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Hi Ralph,

That's exactly my point. It gives a false impression of how good a movie really is. Maybe a side by side comparison would do the review more justice - how good is the movie vs. how good the transfer to DVD is.

Thanks for the reply.

cheers,

Karl

Greetings,

Thanks Karl. The problem is that how good the movie might be is really something that is subjective and could utimately contaminate the technical merits (good or bad) of a disc if the two were rated together.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #19 of 22 Old 10-11-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the reply.

cheers,

Karl

Karl,

You also assume that Ralph has the DVD to compare to. In every case, the BD will look better than the DVD, without exception. Ralph is grading the movie on how it looks compared to other Blu-ray movies.

David Vaughn

post #20 of 22 Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 AM

I am so happy to have this film in my blu-ray collection.
This is my favorite comedy of all. Each time that I rewatch it, it does deliver always with the same magical impact. "Aby Normal"!

With the eyes of Marty Feldman, how can you not laugh hysterically.

Totally agree with you Ralph about this great classic comedy, thanks.

_______ Bob
post #21 of 22 Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 PM

This is awesome! My dad made me watch this when I was a little girl, and now I addicted to it.

And with this good review....Its absolutely on my list to purchase!
post #22 of 22 Old 03-05-2009, 11:51 AM

oh my god me too!!! My dad LOVED this movie. He made me watch it with him everytime it was on.

Just because I'm a girl, doesn't mean I can't be taking an
...:)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Young Frankenstein Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Young by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page