Studio and Year: MGM – 1962, 1973, 2002
MPAA Rating: PG, PG-13
Feature running time: 359 Minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.66:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Mono (Dr. No) French Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Stereo, Spanish Mono,
Subtitles: English & Spanish
Starring: Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Ursula Andress, Jack Lord, Yaphet Kotto, Jane Seymour, Halle Berry, Judi Dench
Directed by: Terence Young, Guy Hamilton, Lee Tamahori
Music by: Monty Norman, George Martin, David Arnold
Written by: Richard Maibaum, Johanna Harwood, Berkley Mather, Tom Mankiewicz, Neal Purvis, Robert Wade
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 21, 2008

"The name’s Bond….James Bond"

Film Synopsis:

Dr. No: An agent of the British Secret Service, James Bond (007), is sent out to the West Indies in order to find out why another of his number was killed. His arrival is not welcomed by everyone, but it is not long before he is on the trail of the killer. Sean Connery embodies the suave yet lethal cool of Agent 007 as he battles the mysteries D. No, a scientific genius bent on destroying the U.S. space program.

Live and let die: James Bond battles the forces of black magic in this high-octane adventure that hurtles him from the streets of New York City to Louisiana's bayou country. With charm, wit and deadly assurance, Roger Moore steps in as Agent 007 and takes on a powerful drug lord (Yaphet Kotto) with a diabolical scheme to conquer the world.

Die another day: When his top-secret mission is sabotaged, James Bond (Pierce Brosnan) finds himself captured by the enemy, abandoned by M16 and stripped of his 00-license. Determined to get revenge, Bond goes head-to-head with a sultry spy (Oscar winner Halle Barry), a frosty agent (Rosamund Pike) and a shadowy billionaire (Toby Stephens) whose business is diamonds...but whose secret is a diabolical weapon that could bring the world to its knees!

My Take:

James Bond films have made an indelible mark on movie making worldwide. It has a heritage that spans decades and is one of the most if not the most successful movie franchise ever. My first introduction to Bond was seeing Live and let die at the drive-in when I was about 9 years old. I have never looked back. Roger Moore WAS James Bond when I was growing up. I didn’t realize that Sean Connery was the original Bond until I saw him in Never say never again in the mid eighties. I liked him in that film and looked for some of his earlier Bond movies. If pressed I would have a hard time deciding whether I liked Connery or Moore better as Bond. Regardless they both bring charisma, elegance and high level cool factor to the role. Pierce Brosnan came along after Timothy Dalton tried his hand at Bond for two films. I thought that Brosnan revitalized the character a bit and brought back a little of the old suave style that seemed to be missing from Dalton’s Bond. He wasn’t quite as quintessential in the toughness department as Moore and Connery but I liked him. These three films represent Bond milestones and it is appropriate that they are released together here in Volume one. Dr. No is of course the first Bond film in the series and introduces us to Sean Connery in the role. Live and let die marked Roger Moore’s debut as Bond and featured some impressive stunts that made headlines at the time. Lastly Die another die marked the 40th anniversary and 20th Bond film at the same time. Being a fan I am thrilled that these films are finding their way onto high definition Blu-ray Disc. This is the type of treatment that this format was designed for and if these discs are examples of what’s to come from Bond I am so excited to see what comes next!

Parental Guide:

The ratings are for thematic material, adult situations and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Lowry Digital did an outstanding job re-mastering the Bond Classic films and Dr. No in high definition is proof positive of that. The process was done using the original film negative which appears to have beautifully preserved the elements contained within. In looking and listening to these films it is apparent that a lot of care went into restoring them and mixing them. Grain is intact across the board and I saw no signs of digital noise reduction. Fox has supported lossless audio on their Blu-ray Disc releases right from the beginning. Their DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks have provided some of the best high resolution audio offered from the format which is something I am sure they aspire to. I used only the DTS-HD MA tracks during my evaluation and true to form they sounded excellent. I will offer my impressions of the quality of the three films separately with an audio/video score for each. The total average is reflected in the rating section above.

Dr. No comes to Blu-ray featuring AVC 1080p encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.attachment.php?attachmentid=122410&d=1224425998

Colors are vivid with subtle tonal variation and clean rendering. The range of colors is not particularly extensive but those represented looked great. The deep bluish green of the ocean against the light blue of the sky along with the landscapes and foliage during the scenes at Crab Key looked gorgeous. Facial complexions and skin tones are nicely delineated with lifelike quality and visible fine detail. Images are well detailed and sharp over the course of the film. The level of detail present regardless of perspective was impressive for a 46 year old film. There were minor fluctuations in apparent resolution that were more than likely related to the original photography and really didn’t infringe much on fidelity. Film grain was intact, and appeared well preserved and consistent in appearance throughout the presentation. Well balanced black and white levels brought plenty of visible detail to bright and dark segments. I had no trouble making out the thread pattern in the white shirt worn by Bond under his tuxedo. The same was true of shadow detail during the segments shot at dusk on Dr. No’s island. Blacks were not inky but had enough depth so that they stood out well when onscreen with mixed content. Video score = 86

Bearing in mind that this is a 46 year old recording that was never intended for surround sound I thought it sounded excellent. The mix is primarily contained in the front channels with directional cues and pans moving across the left, right and center speakers. Imaging is spot on and creates a well separated blend of sound effects and dialogue. Sound dispersion remains close to the speakers but doesn’t feel compressed in its offering. Surround use is subtle but discerningly apropos. Noticeable atmospheric presence and occasional front to rear pans/discrete sound effects do provide some near field envelopment. Dialogue is intelligible and never suffers from stridence or tinny quality. Dynamics are not particularly strong from an impact standpoint however the mix has ample dynamic range and clarity to support its elements with out compromise. Audio score = 78

Live and let die comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=122411&d=1224425998

Shot in the 1970’s this film had a bit of a different look in terms of the use of color. The range of colors used were divergent with deeper saturation and warm textures that were rendered with excellent tonal separation and eye pleasing quality. Flesh tones looked amazing. The abstract tonal differences in the complexional makeup of the various black cast members was appreciably obvious. Blacks were not inky but had enough depth so that they stood out well when onscreen with mixed content. Detail in low light and shadows offered satisfying and varying levels of visibility in backgrounds and within dark objects. Bright scenes had plenty of dynamic punch and discernible white detail. Like Dr. No resolution was impressive. Detail was crisply resolved with excellent dimensional perspective and visual acuity. Sharpness was occasionally inconsistent which had a slight softening effect. One example was during island chase sequence that begins when the helicopter strafes James and Solitaire in the poppy fields. As they walk through the village and head toward the bus it becomes apparent. During the chase it happens again. This is a relatively minor nit to pick in the grand scheme but I thought I should mention it. Grain was present and even layered for the most part with only one or two segments where it took on more prominence. Video score = 84

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack had a noticeably broader soundstage when compared to Dr. No. Front channel separation was excellent as off camera sounds and directional cues mated perfectly with the events onscreen. The mix was nicely spread out over the front and rear channels which provided better sound field extension. Detail and clarity were first rate which made subtle sound effects, dialogue and rear channel spatial cues audibly detectable. Voices were full bodied and well textured with just the slightest hint of mid range bloat that wasn’t always conspicuous. Bass had tactile presence but lacked room shaking extension and tight response. The explosion in the finale that destroyed the poppy fields had fair dynamic energy but lacked room penetrating bottom end. The 1970’s era music and theme song sounded wonderfully detailed, smooth in the upper treble, and slightly warm in tonal expression through the main channels. Audio score = 82

Die another day comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.6 mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=122409&d=1224425998

Being the newest Bond film in the collection Die another day has the most up to date soundtrack. The original DVD release had a DTS ES Matrix/Dolby Digital EX surround mix that was very good and I looked forward to hearing this high resolution presentation. The film opens in North Korean with Bond and two Asian operatives surfing toward the beach on some of the largest waves I have ever seen. This is set to David Arnold’s orchestrated music score. The music is mixed well so that it presents itself just slightly above the sound effects without being too forward. It emanates from the three front channels primarily and is present in the surrounds although it is relegated to a lower position behind the effects that are mixed to the rear channels during the segment. The blend is actually very well executed. As the three men surf toward their destination the room bristles with the sounds of crashing waves and falling water. There is a nice deep low bass energy that accompanies the pulsating drive of the water’s power. The segments that follows at the military base features several explosions, military grade weapon fire and a hovercraft vehicle chase. I was impressed with the high level of sonic detail and richly engaging surround sound activity. Dynamics and bass were demonstrative as the plethora of sound effects swirled around the room. The sound field was proportionately vast and the mix maintained dominant command over the sound track’s elements so that even minute details were detectable. The sound mix excelled in its rendering of low level subtle nuance as well. The soft essence of the strings and piano were discerningly revealing during the scene in chapter 20 after James and Miranda’s evening of passion. This was offset by the cataclysmic results that the “Icarus” orbital mirror satellite had as it was turned on James during chapter 23. This short sequence contained excellent transient dynamics that had visceral energy and room filling characteristics. Overall bass response throughout the film was excellent. Dialogue was descriptively intonated with crystal clarity and authoritative presence through the center channel. Audio score = 90

The scenes that take place in the opening of the film utilize a reserved color range that contains lots of sepia tones and de-saturated primaries. Flesh tones appear less tonally diverse and somewhat flat. Things liven up nicely once James arrives at the Chinese Hotel in Chapter 6. Colors take on a lustrous and vibrant quality with deeply saturated primaries and vivid hues that pop quite nicely. Flesh tones have much better complexional detail and lifelike tonality. Image detail is notable and provides quality perception of fine minutia and texture in both objects and people within the frame. The use of CGI makes some long range shots appear one dimensional and I noticed that during some scenes it appeared as though the camera might have been slightly defocused. That was not the norm though. At times images were simply breathtaking. One example is the 36:15 mark in the film when Halle Berry emerging from the ocean waves in high definition. It looked surreal. The interior shots of the Ice palace looked incredibly detailed and sharp. Blacks were nice and deep with excellent dynamic range and consistency. A look at the “Icarus” demonstration sequence provided rich inky blacks offset by dynamic contrast and intentionally over cooked whites. Shadow delineation was strong and provided excellent depth of field in dark areas and low lighting. Grain was present and evenly layered over the course of the movie. This film has a bit of a heavier grain texture which lends its video to appear a bit grittier and film like as opposed to highly polished and razor sharp.Video score = 86

Bonus Features:

Dr. No:

• Audio commentary with Director Terence Young and cast/crew members

• 007: License to renew Featurette

• The guns of Bond Featurette

• Premiere Bond: Opening nights Featurette

• (HD) 007 Mission Control – interactive guide into the world of Dr. No

• (HD) Inside Dr. No

• (HD)Terence Young: Bond Vivant Featurette

• Dr. No 1963 Featurette

• Image database

• Minitry of propaganda: Original trailers, TV/Radio Spots, Photo gallery, Radio communications

Live and let die:

• Audio commentary with Sir Roger Moore

• Audio commentary with Director Guy Hamilton

• Audio commentary with Screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz

• Bond 1973: The lost documentary

• Roger Moore as James Bond, circa 1964 Featurette

• Live and let die conceptual art

• 007 Mission Control interactive guide into the world of Live and let die - (HD) Exotic locations featurette

• (HD) Inside Live and let die Featurette

• On the set with Roger Moore Featurettes

• Image database

• Minitry of propaganda: Original trailers, TV/Radio Spots, Photo gallery, Radio communications

Die another day:

• Audio commentary with Pierce Brosnan and Rosamund Pike

• Audio commentary with Director Lee Tamahora and Producer Michael G. Wilson

• MI6 Datastream Trivia Track

• From script to screen

• Shaken and stirred on ice Featurette

• Just another day Featurette

• The British touch: Bond arrives in London Featurette

• On location with Production Designer Peter Lamont Featurette

• 007 Mission Control interactive guide into the world of Die another day - (HD) Exotic locations featurette

• Image database

Final Thoughts:

James Bond has become a staple in cinematic folklore. As fans we have seen him change over the last 40 + years but somehow he still remains the same. No matter who has portrayed him his steely demeanor, great gadgets and penchant for saving the world and beautiful women keeps us coming back for more. The release of Bond films on high definition Blu-ray has been eagerly anticipated by fans right from the beginning. 20th Century Fox and MGM have done him proud with these beautifully crafted discs that truly pay tribute to the original vision of the film’s creators. No stone was left unturned with the vast supply of bonus features that looks deep inside the world of 007. I am proud to highly recommend them as they deserve a place in the collection of every film fan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent news - thanks Ralph!!
post #3 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the great review on this highly anticipated release.
I am looking forward to picking theese up.
Dr. No is my favorite (the rest are just sequals). Glad to hear that the audio is not too bad and the video is good.
post #4 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The DVD of Die another day had terrible EE, is it totally gone from the Blu-Ray?
post #5 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes, good news. Seems that the studios are getting better with transfers to BD of the older titles.

Ralph, your comment about the actors who have played Bond over the years may start a debate .

Your review jogged a long forgotten memory. Back in 1964 I was 11, living in NYC. In those days a Saturday afternoon for my bud's often included a trip to the local bijou. Two films, a cartoon and sometimes a short feature. All for $0.75 ?. Popcorn, though, was pricey even then.

One such Saturday had Goldfinger as the second feature. My mother made me promise that I would leave after the first film. Wondered what salacious material my friends, that did stay saw, that I missed.

A few years later my dad and I watched Goldfinger on TV. Towards the end I inquired: "Dad, what was Mom's issue with my seeing this when it was in the theater?" "Well, she probably looked it up in The Tablet (a church based periodical with movie reviews, among other listings, with ratings by The Legion of Decency) and they had a real problem with Honer Blackmans character's name".

That made sense since as children we used that source to find "fun stuff" in the TV listings.

What an innocent time it was.

Joe
post #6 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 05:26 PM

This might be enough to push me into collecting all the Bond Blu's! Just what I need, more films to buy Thanks for the early review!
post #7 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Great Review Ralph! I have been waiting for this set for a long time...After such a great review, no I can't wait for Tuesday...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #8 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the effort, much appreciated. Almost as good as watching the films
post #9 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 08:19 PM

I too thought the scene of Halle Berry emerging from the ocean was breathtaking, but i haven't seen the blu ray version yet!
post #10 of 52 Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Looking forward to the review of Volume 2! I think I might get it this week.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #11 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I watched Dr. No and From Russia with love this weekend and they look spectacular. Rich accurate color, great depth and detail. Stunning transfers. I can;t imagine these films looking any better. From Russia with love in particular is damn near perfect.
post #12 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The question is whether or not this quality will influence folks who own the boxes to purchase these on BD. I'm not in that situation and if I was, I'd have to think hard before spending lots more especially if I got those at $25 apeice like some did.

The ultimate edition boxes have had pretty high scores across the board no matter what resources I checked on the quality in the past. I don't doubt these aren't better but are they better enough??

Thanks Ralph for your efforts.
post #13 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

The question is whether or not this quality will influence folks who own the boxes to purchase these on BD. I'm not in that situation and if I was, I'd have to think hard before spending lots more especially if I got those at $25 apeice like some did.

The ultimate edition boxes have had pretty high scores across the board no matter what resources I checked on the quality in the past. I don't doubt these aren't better but are they better enough??

Thanks Ralph for your efforts.

I plan on buying all 6 from Circuit City (less than $19 each, inc tax!) and then using Thunderball (one of my faves) to compare with my Ultimate Edition DVDs. If it's significantly better then sweet! If not, then I'll be okay returning 5 out of the 6.
post #14 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Only you can decide that.

I bought the entire ultimate collection at the beginning of the year, before the BD releases were announced. Played through the superb upconverting Oppo 983, the ultimate DVDs look terrific. (Note that some have abandoned BD due to the excellent upconversion with the 983).

Yet, I had no hesitation in buying the new BDs. There's a quality to an HD transfer that no upconversion can match.
post #15 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't going to but I've read enough to raise a flag for me to take a look see first. I don't doubt they look and sound good but...

As luck may have it, I threw 3 in my queue I'm most interested in this morning and all are shipping today. I'll take it from there.
post #16 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Very good review. I was hoping you would review the Bond films on Blu-ray. While I have invested in the Bond films on DVD already I don't want to re-invest and double dip although I will probably get the new Bond on Blu-ray when its released next year.
post #17 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

Ralph, your comment about the actors who have played Bond over the years may start a debate .

Joe

You're right!

Ralph can't decide between prissy Roger Moore and man's man Sean Connery? He's gotta be kidding! There never really was another Bond after Sean.

arkiedan
post #18 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post

You're right!

Ralph can't decide between prissy Roger Moore and man's man Sean Connery? He's gotta be kidding! There never really was another Bond after Sean.

arkiedan

Greetings,

Okay okay....

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #19 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiedan View Post

You're right!

arkiedan

That probably has something to do with starting off with Moore as I did. I "learned" to like Connery better as I got older, but I still like Moore as well.

I do have a problem agreeing that Brosnan wasn't any "tougher" than Moore. They both seem kind of wimpy.

I like Dalton as well, and see him as a Daniel Craig type of Bond. I think that type of Bond was just a bit ahead of it's time.
post #20 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a 57 year-old, I'm firmly in the Connery camp. But a lot of it has to do with the progress of the screen plays over the years. I read several of the paperbacks before the first movie ever came out. The first few movies were close to the book. By the time they go to The Spy Who Loved Me, the only thing the books and the movies shared was the title! I thought they became comic book stories rather than the stories Fleming wrote.

I'd like to see a BR collection by actor!
post #21 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
And yet, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was better than any Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, or Pierce Brosnan Bond flick. George Lazenby has been SORELY underrated!
post #22 of 52 Old 10-20-2008, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh man, I think Live and Let die is one of the most boring movies ever made. I can't stand it for some reason. But it has the best song of all the Bonds. Hearing that in lossless has me chomping at the bit.

Die Another Day has some great audio material. I think it's funny how the beginning was all dark and realistic, to a point. Bronson thought they should stick with that, and didn't like the other tone. Then the dark and realistic Casino Royale comes out and everyone is like it's the greatest bond movie ever(it lags too hard in the middle, poker is boring as hell if you're watching it).

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #23 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My concern with these BDs is crammed space. Since they contain a lot of extras and multiple commentaries on some, would it not have been ideal to move all the extras onto a second disc and have the whole 50 Gig on the main disc available for the films alone???
post #24 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Well my concern is with the audio quality after seeing those scores. In about 9 hours, I'll get to judge the PQ and AQ via Netflix.
post #25 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Oh man, I think Live and Let die is one of the most boring movies ever made. I can't stand it for some reason. But it has the best song of all the Bonds. Hearing that in lossless has me chomping at the bit.

Die Another Day has some great audio material. I think it's funny how the beginning was all dark and realistic, to a point. Bronson thought they should stick with that, and didn't like the other tone. Then the dark and realistic Casino Royale comes out and everyone is like it's the greatest bond movie ever(it lags too hard in the middle, poker is boring as hell if you're watching it).

I can easily live with the DTS audio on Die Another Day on the 2 disc SD DVD edition I have if the video was better!
post #26 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stockton View Post

My concern with these BDs is crammed space. Since they contain a lot of extras and multiple commentaries on some, would it not have been ideal to move all the extras onto a second disc and have the whole 50 Gig on the main disc available for the films alone???

The average video bit-rates that Ralph posted are quite high, and every review that I've read for these movies did not note compression artifacts as being a problem. So, I don't really see how an extra disc would be important.
post #27 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I have to carve out some time to watch these classics...As a kid I was a huge fan of them. I really like what they've done with the reboot of the franchise.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #28 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

David,

Checked the website for reviews the last few days and now I know why there wasn't any. I'll check from time to time as I'm interested in your take.
post #29 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Robert,

I've been working on some equipment reviews so movies get pushed back. Look for something next week.

David

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #30 of 52 Old 10-21-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

And yet, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" was better than any Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, or Pierce Brosnan Bond flick. George Lazenby has been SORELY underrated!

I have to agree George Lazenby was awesome in this role, with an element of anger towards the final reels of the film that was not seen until Timothy Dalton stepped into those hard to fill 007 shoes some years later.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , James Bond Blu Ray Collection Volume One Dr No Die Another Day Live And Let Die Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - James by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page