Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
attachment.php?attachmentid=120727&d=1222432965
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: New Line/Warner - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 92 Minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English and Spanish
Starring: Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson, Anita Briem
Directed by: Eric Brevig
Music by: Andrew Lockington
Written by: Michael Weiss, Jennifer Flackett, Mark Levin
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 28, 2008

"Same planet. Different world"

Film Synopsis:

Brendan Fraser stars in this action-packed adventure based on the Jules Vern Classic that is sure to deliver fun for the whole family! On a hunch to find the center of the earth, Trevor Anderson (Fraser), his nephew and their tour guide make a breakthrough discovery that launches them on a thrilling journey into the unknown. On a scramble to find their way back, the group travels through a never-before-seen world encountering creatures and objects never imagined.

My Take:

My 14 year old son saw this in the theater earlier this year and said it was okay but not any great shakes. I think a film like this plays to Brendan Fraser’s strengths and I like Josh Hutcherson so I looked forward to reviewing it. It appears to me that this film is aimed at a younger audience although there is no reason why it couldn’t be enjoyed by everyone. The plot is rather elementary and the dialogue (especially Fraser’s) is somewhat trite at times. In a film like this it wasn’t altogether out of place and younger viewers will probably get a kick out of it. The story’s main focus is on Fraser who portrays Professor Trevor Anderson, and his nephew Sean (Hutcherson) who embark on a journey to Iceland in search of a signal generated by a seismic monitoring device that detects unusual activity near a region where Trevor’s brother Max (and Sean’s father) disappeared 10 years earlier. Before they left they discovered Max’s copy of Jules Vern’s Journey to the center of the earth which has illustrations and notes that they cannot quite interpret but which lead them to a specific location in Iceland. Once there they meet up with Hannah who is a mountain guide. It just so happens that her father is the man whose name is scribbled in Max’s book. Hannah looks at it and informs them that her father was a “Vernian” (someone who believes that his books have factual basis) and that it appears that Max was as well. She agrees to take them to the seismic monitor’s location which is high up in a mountainous region. They hike to the location, and find the monitor but get caught in an electrical storm which drives them into a nearby cave that subsequently leads down the rabbit hole, literally.

If you put aside your thinking cap and try and look at the film as nothing more than a simple fantasy adventure I suspect that it will be more entertaining. The opening segment was poorly executed and seemed like its only purpose was to provide a fast character intro and the minor details required to send them on their way. Once they meet up with Hannah (Anita Briem) things pick up and the story becomes a bit more fun. In the end I found the movie to be mildly entertaining but not much more than that.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense adventure action and some scary moments. The scary moments are few but it might be a bit much for kids under 10.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Journey to the center of the earth comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner/New line featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio that has a constant bit rate of 640 kbps.

The video presentation was generally solid and had a pristine quality that is consistent with movies shot using high definition video cameras. Images were highly detailed with resolute sharpness and fine structure. It had a smooth, glossy quality that lacked filmic characteristics. This is the first film live action film to be shot in digital 3D and overall the results were positive. Both the 2D and 3D versions are included and switching between the two is as simple as accessing the features menu and toggling back and forth which is instantaneous. I watched both versions and preferred the 2D simply because the 3 dimensional aspects give me a headache after a while. Four pairs of 3D glasses are included in the blu-ray disc case and are the cheap cardboard type with one green and one red lens that never feel comfortable while you are wearing them. The 3D effects are abundant and were actually good enough that they made me flinch once. The opening and closing segments of the film (the ones that basically didn’t take place in the center of the earth) offered boldly vivid colors that appeared over saturated and slightly exaggerated in tonality. Skintones were washed out and lacking in complexional delineation. Once the group enters the caves and eventually the world at the center of the earth the video took on a different look. Primary colors were less vibrant and there appeared to be filtering applied that gave the video a light tan colored cast which didn’t permeate everything but was visually intrusive none the less. The majority of the sequences shot in the fantasy world were in front of green screens with the backgrounds, water, and creatures being CGI. The computer generated creatures/effects didn’t look the best and at times resembled animated objects (especially in the case of the fish and T-Rex). The mixture of live people and CGI backgrounds sometimes made images appear less resolute. This was not to a degenerative degree but it made sharpness feel less consistent. Shadow detail was very good in the darkened cave segments and black levels were respectable but not the best that I have seen. I didn’t notice any signs of video related anomalies.

Here is another Blu-ray release from Warner that does not include lossless audio support. I am not clear why they have chosen to do this but the decision in my opinion is not a good one. This soundtrack is tailor made for high resolution audio and the included 640 kbps lossy Dolby Digital track didn’t provide the definitive articulation and superior dynamic presence that lossless can. Dialogue intelligibility was never a problem and its place within the front soundstage was firm. Surround activity is abundant and quite engaging as falling debris, crashing water, and the heavy footfalls of a large prehistoric animal bear down on the listening position. Dynamic impact and low frequency detail had excellent room penetration and palpable resonance that was notable.

Bonus Features:

• Behind the story: Commentary by Brendan Fraser and Director Eric Brevig

• (HD) A world with our world: 10 Minute Documentary on historic “hollow earth” theories

• (HD) Being Josh: 6 minute segment that follows actor John Hutcherson during a typical day on the set of the film

• (HD) How to make Dino drool: 3 minute how to documentary

• Digital Copy: Bonus disc containing a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

• 2D and 3D versions of the film including 4 pairs of 3D glasses

Final Thoughts:

Journey to the center of the earth was an average action adventure film that will probably appeal more to younger viewers than die hard genre fans. I didn’t dislike it but felt that its story was somewhat simplistic and myopic. Its high definition video quality was quite good although its overall technical merits are slightly diminished by its lack of lossless audio support. Hopefully Warner sees fit to resume including high resolution audio encodings on their Blu-ray Disc releases soon. I would recommend this disc as a rental prior to purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow, I am at a complete loss for why they would not include lossless audio on this release. Wasn't this theatrically released far after the end of the format war? I can understand some older catalogs not having lossless, but this (like Speed Racer) is completely stupefying.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #3 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Geez, my wife and I saw this (3D) in the theater and I was really looking forward to bringing it home for future viewings. Lossy audio? C'mon Warner.
post #4 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 02:25 PM

Hello,

Could you tell me if the film is region free please ?

Thank you !

My French Blog dedicated to the Blu-Ray (news, offers, etc ...) and some other things ^^ : http://www.menestrelbluray.com/
post #5 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I agree with Ralph's assessment and will be getting a review done once get all the Bond films finished. I was not real happy with the PQ here and was surprised by the washed out look and less than stellar black level. The audio? The lack of lossless here is really hard to fathom. It sounds great for a DVD but lacks the dynamics, openness and depth of a good lossless track. 7.1 lossless for Run Fatboy Run and standard DD for this film which was a box office hit. Like I said, hard to fathom.

Louder is NOT better!
post #6 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was planning to buy this one but with no lossless audio I will pass... I will wait until they come out with a better transfer....

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #7 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are interested in the 3D version I would recommend snagging this "lossy" edition as from what I heard, Warner is NOT planning on continuing to release the 3D version, this will be a limited time edition.

As much as I hate Warner for leaving lossless tracks out of this movie and Speed Racer, I'm gonna have to whimp out and get the 3D/2D combo version while they are still in production. I HATE LOSSY!!!!! But 3D should be good eyecandy for your home theater, especially if you have a 1080 projector with a large screen.
post #8 of 76 Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Amazing and unexcusable that there is no lossless audio.
post #9 of 76 Old 10-21-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 286
If the 3D worked like it did in the theater then I would say yes. But this is a mess with the cheap cardboard red/blue glasses that don't fit! Also, the color is so screwed up with these glasses that the movie looks awful. Yes it is 3D and there are many fun 3D effects but all in all, I wouldn't watch the 3D again.

Louder is NOT better!
post #10 of 76 Old 10-21-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
First Warner squeezes 'Speed Racer' onto a BD-25 disc with DD and now they are releasing this movie on a BD-50 disc but again with DD. I can understand (but don't agree with) the cost savings with 'Speed' but what's the deal with 'Journey'? What is their business model? They dropped the HD-DVD format to save a buck and basically established Blu-ray as the de facto HD standard. Now they are short-changing BD fans with a lossy sound format first introduced in 1992 and now they are taking a step backwards from TrueHD and DTS-MA. What's with this "Let them eat cake" attitude? Has Warner issued a statement as to why they are doing this? At the most these two movies will be rentals for me.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #11 of 76 Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 AM

I too feel Warners should be providing lossless audio on all their releases.

I want to buy this to sample the 3D effects....I have a question though...I am colorblind so will these effects still work for me using the glasses supplied....Real shame about the lack of lossless sound...Speed Racer and this were big budget productions and should have lossless sound on Blu Ray.
post #12 of 76 Old 10-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Confirmed region free !
http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/pro...ducts_id=42415

My French Blog dedicated to the Blu-Ray (news, offers, etc ...) and some other things ^^ : http://www.menestrelbluray.com/
post #13 of 76 Old 10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Watching Journey in 2D is worse than watching Jurassic Park without a woofer; this film was made for 3D. Half of the story is dependent on it. I saw it in 2D while in San Antonio and was just as underwhelmed. But even with yesteryear's color skewed glasses, it was a much funner experience in 3D on Blu-ray. My guest also had a great time dodging yo-yo's and trying to pluck water droplets out of the air. It's been awhile since I heard another adult giggle like that. I really can't wait for the new 3D to be finalized now.

Bigger lenses would have made for a clearer pic, but it was still very effective. We weren't bothered by headaches though. Sorry to hear you were, Ralph. The lens' are red and green, btw. Even says so in setup. Mild case of trichromacy there?

I wouldn't count on Warner adding lossless when they drop 3D as seems to be a circulating expectation. Odds are they'll repress on BD25s instead, which would also explain why they didn't included lossless here. There should be plenty of room on this BD50.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #14 of 76 Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Chad,

I'm glad you chimed in here, as you make a very good point. Sometimes the fun factor outweighs the minor technical and plot issues. This is a cool new technology that I want to try out with my family! Hopefully if this technology takes off there will be some higher quality 3D glasses offered some day.
post #15 of 76 Old 10-22-2008, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I watched this tonight and have to say when you add up everything, from the washed out color evident in much of the first half of the movie, the lack of a lossless soundtrack, the frankly tough-to-watch 3D version to the mediocre quality of the movie (and especially the near tv level of cgi effects) itself, you have to be a real fan of this flick to want to spend the $25 - $30 to own it.

I rented it mostly curious to see how the 3D effect would translate to the home theater and that sadly turned out to be the biggest letdown. The extremely primitive red/green filtered image and glasses is barely a step above the old gimmicky b/w horror movies from the 50's and 60's and probably would have actually worked better if the 3D version was b/w. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than I can explain why the polarized full color 3D method wasn't used for the home video release.

The one welcome plus was the seamless ease one could toggle back and forth between the 3D and 2D versions using the menu while the movie played.

T.B.
post #16 of 76 Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Watching Journey in 2D is worse than watching Jurassic Park without a woofer; this film was made for 3D. Half of the story is dependent on it. I saw it in 2D while in San Antonio and was just as underwhelmed. But even with yesteryear's color skewed glasses, it was a much funner experience in 3D on Blu-ray. My guest also had a great time dodging yo-yo's and trying to pluck water droplets out of the air. It's been awhile since I heard another adult giggle like that. I really can't wait for the new 3D to be finalized now.

Bigger lenses would have made for a clearer pic, but it was still very effective. We weren't bothered by headaches though. Sorry to hear you were, Ralph. The lens' are red and green, btw. Even says so in setup. Mild case of trichromacy there?

I wouldn't count on Warner adding lossless when they drop 3D as seems to be a circulating expectation. Odds are they'll repress on BD25s instead, which would also explain why they didn't included lossless here. There should be plenty of room on this BD50.

Greetings,

Chad, didn't I say red and green?

Seeing a post from you is like old times. Don't be a stranger...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 76 Old 10-22-2008, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Ralph how about being more thorough on the 3d aspects for future releases.

Thanks
post #18 of 76 Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Chad,

Is good to see you again.... Now with Ralph, Dave and you here looks like old times..

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #19 of 76 Old 10-22-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Ralph how about being more thorough on the 3d aspects for future releases.

Thanks

Greetings,

Good point and will do...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 76 Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Out of curiosity, I still have the glasses from the theatrical showing I went to ... would those glasses work for the Blu-ray version, or is it designed solely for the glasses included? The theater glasses were much better than the old style, from what I remember.
post #21 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post

Out of curiosity, I still have the glasses from the theatrical showing I went to ... would those glasses work for the Blu-ray version, or is it designed solely for the glasses included? The theater glasses were much better than the old style, from what I remember.

Speaking of such, anyone have a source for GOOD 3D glasses with red and green lenses? I have found some good ones on the net with red and blue lenses, but no green yet. If this 3D format will be used again it would be worth it to me to buy some better glasses to use when needed.
post #22 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No those are polarized glasses for Digital Cinema Projectors using a silver screen.REALD

These are anaglyph 2 color glasses. There is a committee looking to establish a new standard for blue ray.

For home use the next gen standard should be based on active glasses. Movies seen with these look like animated viewmaster images.

sensiopro or xpand .
post #23 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

3-D display technology has had an on-again/off-again relationship with the film industry for decades, but has never established itself on the small screen. Modern technology has made 3-D broadcasting a more realistic proposition, but there's currently no standardized method for how such content should be formatted, processed, and displayed. The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers intends to tackle this problem, and has given the problem over to the newly formed 3-D Home Display Formats Task Force.

The stated goal of the task force is to develop a standard that will allow 3-D programming to be played "on all fixed devices in the home, no matter the delivery channel." The group will first explore what technology is required in order for 3-D content to play over the variety of devices available in the home, and plans to issue a report on its findings within six months. When the group refers to playback on all fixed devices, they mean itthe report will cover cable, satellite, and over-the-air broadcasting, as well as packaged media (DVDs, Blu-ray). A variety of display mediums will be evaluated as well, including "televisions, computer screens, and other tethered displays." Presumably, this includes plasma, LCD, and standard televisions, as well as displays based on OLED technology.

Once this initial document is finished, it will form the basis of what's to become the SMTPE 3-D standard. The task force holds its first meeting on August 19, at the Entertainment Technology Center at the University of Southern California, and the event will feature multiple product and technology demonstrations, as well as a discussion of the development group's goals and aims. If any of you are planning to attend, feel free to drop us a line and let us know.

The prospect of 3-D technology gaining traction in the home entertainment market is both bane and boon to Hollywood studios. On the one hand, there's nothing that would make Hollywood happier than selling us all of our old favorites again, but this time, in AMAZING 3-D ACTION. Not all films benefit from a 3D makeover, and 2D-3D film conversion is still problematic, but industry heads clearly think the idea has potential. George Lucas' upcoming Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated movie will be released in 3-D on August 15, and the director himself has expressed interest in doing a 3-D version of the previous Star Wars movies.

The problem with pushing 3-D technology into the home, from Hollywood's perspective, is that it gives people yet another reason to stay home, instead of driving to a theater. Recent 3-D movies have done quite well, and Hollywood has picked up on that. Big-screen TVs and 7.1 surround sound systems have made it increasingly difficult for the movie industry to entice people to pay for the "theater experience," and the industry would undoubtedly be unhappy to see the potential 3-D cash cow handed off to the small screen before it has been well and thoroughly milked.

The transition may be inevitable, but writing a new standard, building support for it, and putting actual compatible hardware on store shelves are all processes that will take time. Until it happens, the movie industry will push the 3-D angle for as much as it's worth, while simultaneously perfecting their own conversion technologies.
post #24 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM

I just haven't been able to figure out your rating system. You gave the James Bond Collection Volume One five stars for film and five stars for extras, and it got only one score less than 4 stars on your other criteria, but yet it only received a total score of 84. You said, "20th Century Fox and MGM have done him proud with these beautifully crafted discs that truly pay tribute to the original vision of the film's creators. No stone was left unturned with the vast supply of bonus features that looks deep inside the world of 007. I am proud to highly recommend them as they deserve a place in the collection of every film fan."

Yet you rated movies like Hell Ride as only one star for the film and 3 1/2 for extras and yet it got a total score of 83! And how about "Journey to the Center of the Earth" which was rated as 2 1/2 stars for film and 2 stars for extras and you gave it a rent - do not buy overall rating and yet it scored 82.

If there's only 1 or 2 points out of a possible 100 separating a highly recommended film from one you'd only recommend renting, not purchasing, then it would seem that your rating system is very flawed. I understand it's all subjective and "in the eye of the beholder" but even with that consider, your rating system needs help.

Ralph .....been smoking a little of your namesake perhaps ???
post #25 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoods_maine View Post

I just haven't been able to figure out your rating system. You gave the James Bond Collection Volume One five stars for film and five stars for extras, and it got only one score less than 4 stars on your other criteria, but yet it only received a total score of 84. You said, "20th Century Fox and MGM have done him proud with these beautifully crafted discs that truly pay tribute to the original vision of the film's creators. No stone was left unturned with the vast supply of bonus features that looks deep inside the world of 007. I am proud to highly recommend them as they deserve a place in the collection of every film fan."

Yet you rated movies like Hell Ride as only one star for the film and 3 1/2 for extras and yet it got a total score of 83! And how about "Journey to the Center of the Earth" which was rated as 2 1/2 stars for film and 2 stars for extras and you gave it a rent - do not buy overall rating and yet it scored 82.

If there's only 1 or 2 points out of a possible 100 separating a highly recommended film from one you'd only recommend renting, not purchasing, then it would seem that your rating system is very flawed. I understand it's all subjective and "in the eye of the beholder" but even with that consider, your rating system needs help.

Greetings,

The film and extras ratings are simply rated 1 through 5 (it indicates that at the top of each review) while the audio and video portions are rated differently on a scale of 1 through 100. If you read the techical portion of the review it gives a simple break down of the scoring system. The film/extras and technical aspects are rated separately and do not effect one another.

Thanks for taking the time to ask..and no I haven't been smoking my namesake.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoods_maine View Post

I think you are confusing Ralph's rating parameters, I'm sure he'll chime in if I am incorrect. He uses 3 basic criteria:
Film - What he thinks of the movie as a whole as a piece of entertainment.
Extras - The amount or interest of the Extra Content included.
Audio/Video Total Rating - This has nothing to do with the first 2 but is a rating for the quality of the video and audio transfer. Taking into account things like color, contrast, audio codec used etc... The movie could stink from an entertainment standpoint but yet have excellent video and audio quality. The number is not an overall opinion but specific to the quality of the Audio/Video.
At least that's my take on his rating system.....

JT
post #27 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgrunden View Post

I think you are confusing Ralph's rating parameters, I'm sure he'll chime in if I am incorrect. He uses 3 basic criteria:
Film - What he thinks of the movie as a whole as a piece of entertainment.
Extras - The amount or interest of the Extra Content included.
Audio/Video Total Rating - This has nothing to do with the first 2 but is a rating for the quality of the video and audio transfer. Taking into account things like color, contrast, audio codec used etc... The movie could stink from an entertainment standpoint but yet have excellent video and audio quality. The number is not an overall opinion but specific to the quality of the Audio/Video.
At least that's my take on his rating system.....

Greetings,

Thank you JT. I couldn't have summed it up better myself...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #28 of 76 Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

OK before they make it disappear here is what HDD said about the audio.
Quote:

New Line presents 'Journey to the Center of the Earth' in English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround. As expected, this is a slam-bang presentation that's just as over-the-top with effects and action as the feature film.

Ralph you wouldn't have happened to have missed the TrueHD audio on the menu would you?

My money is on HDD using one of its templates that messes with specs.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #29 of 76 Old 10-24-2008, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

OK before they make it disappear here is what HDD said about the audio.
Ralph you wouldn't have happened to have missed the TrueHD audio on the menu would you?

My money is on HDD using one of its templates that messes with specs.

Greetings,

shadowrage, I wish that had been the case but unfortunately I didn't miss the TrueHD audio option..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #30 of 76 Old 10-24-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Does anyone know if netflix will include the glasses in the rental? I know that for other discs requiring a special "extra" piece (like the blue filter for DVE) they do NOT include that. So I'm guessing the glasses wont be included either. And it looks like buying some online will cost me almost as much as buying the Blu-Ray which includes 4 cheap glasses.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Journey To The Center Of The Earth Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Journey by PriceGrabber.com