Feature running time: 83 Minutes
Genre: Action/Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Larry Bishop, Michael Madsen, Eric Balfour, Vinnie Jones, Dennis Hopper, Leonor Varela, David Carradine
Written & Directed by: Larry Bishop
Music by: Daniele Luppi
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 28, 2008

"The rebellion against all there is"

Film Synopsis:

From Producer Quentin Tarantino (Grindhouse Presents: Death Proof) and Writer/Director Larry Bishop (Mad Dog Time) comes this lean, mean mayhem machine - fully loaded with bikers, babes, and booze. Michael Madsen (Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2), Eric Balfour (TV's 24) and legendary "Easy Rider" Dennis Hopper are part of a wild motorcycle gang bent on avenging the death of one of their own. With Vinnie Jones (The Condemned) as the crazed arrow-wielding rival gang leader, Hell Ride is a savagely enjoyable good-time where the women are hot, the bikes are even hotter, and the action never stops!

My Take:

As the film credits rang up at the beginning of the movie I thought to myself who is Larry Bishop? I have never heard of him and I have to say that after watching Hell ride which he wrote, directed, and starred in, I can see why. With all due respect to Quentin Tarantino, what the heck?! This film had a pretentious and fuzzy premise, a miscast lead character in Bishop, and an overabundance of fanny shaking, boob jiggling, and explicit sexuality that hardly seemed pertinent but looked more like an attempt to legitimize the authenticity of the biker image being portrayed. Cameos by Dennis Hopper and David Carradine failed to add any substance to the story which revolves around redemption and two warring biker factions. The rift begins in 1976 when a young woman who is associated with both groups supposedly betrays the leader of the 666's which results in her being set on fire after her throat is cut. This sets in motion a series of events that culminate 30 + years later. Amidst the lackluster writing is plenty of bloody violence and Harley riding that should appeal to fans of these types of movies. The screenplay just didn't flow very well. I have no problem with films that rely more on instinct rather than intellect but this one just didn't feel like it was strong in either.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, sexual content including graphic nudity and dialogue, language and drug use. Nuff said.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Hell Ride comes to Blu-ray disc from The Weinstein Company featuring 1080p AVC encoded vide that has an average bitrate of 23 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps.

The film's opening is intentionally monochrome and uses heavy grain to give it a stylized look which was very similar to the opening of Kill Bill. A similar look is used later in the story as well but to a lessened degree which provides color points that are present but noticeably faded. Other than that I found colors to be pleasing overall, with slightly pumped up reds over saturated hues. High contrast levels overdrove whites which washed out detail and highlighted grain during bright scenes. This gave the video an overly dynamic perspective which appeared intentional but looked unnatural. Image detail was quite good and revealing of fine texture and delineation especially in the facial features and clothing of the cast. The various make up of skin tones and complexional characteristics among the cast was rendered with aplomb. Blacks had ample dynamic range and visible gradational structure was discernible in low lighting and dark areas onscreen. Early in the film as the bikers enter a desert bar I noticed moiré on the blinds of a window in the background. I didn't notice it at any other point after nor did I see any other obvious video related artifacts.

The lossless audio presentation delivered subtle, refined and crisp dialogue that held sway over the front three channels. Imagining within the front soundstage was narrower that I expected but it still generated a stable sound field. The growl of the various motorcycle engines with their straight pipes, and the crackle of the revolver type hand guns used had good dynamic impact and clear descriptive emphasis. Surround activity was present but used sparingly to denote sounds associated with front to rear panning effects and ambient venue simulation. LFE contained in the mix wasn't frequent but when present provided subtle yet detectable low end support. This seemed appropriate based upon the story's elements and it sounded just fine.

Bonus Features:

• Feature commentary with Writer/Director Larry Bishop

• The making of Hell Ride Featurette

• The babes of Hell Ride Featurette

• The guys of Hell Ride Featurette

• The choppers of Hell Ride Featurette

• Michael Madsen's video diary Documentary

• (HD) Red band trailer

Final Thoughts:

Hell Ride is a film that offers little in the way of entertainment value. Its attempts at being a rough and tumble biker flick simply don't bear fruit. Those who have seen the film and liked it will be pleased with its high definition Blu-ray presentation from The Weinstein Company, which when coupled with the fairly comprehensive bonus supplements, makes it fan worthy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks Ralph. With Tarantino and Madsen, the trailer made this film look like Kill Bill meets Easy Rider. You've got me second guessing my weakness for biker flicks now though.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #3 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for another nice detailed review you are always my first source for new releases.

Larry Bishop is the son of Joey Bishop and in the 60's and 70's a bit character in everything from I Dream Of Jeannie to Laverne & Shirley etc. etc.

Getting back to the movie I loved the Grindhouse Films Planet Terror & Death Proof not sure if this one is in the same league as there is no Quentin or Robert Rodriguez in the director's chair.

May try this one as a rental first before I decide if I want to add it to my monthly Drive In movie night at my house.
post #4 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Very sad to hear the movie stinks. I too was hoping this as good as the grindhouse flicks.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Greetings,

I would say that if you are curiuos you might want to give it a rent. I don't see alot of replay value here but everyone is different.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 18 Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Ralph. I was telling Dave, now that Kris has a bike, that just leaves you and him and we could do a wild hogs thing. Couldn't talk Dave into two wheels though. I'll be ready for another journey by next summer. How 'bout you?

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #7 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 01:30 AM

What really sucks is that the damn thing is Code A only.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Hey Ralph. I was telling Dave, now that Kris has a bike, that just leaves you and him and we could do a wild hogs thing. Couldn't talk Dave into two wheels though. I'll be ready for another journey by next summer. How 'bout you?

Greetings,

Chad, not a chance old buddy. These eyes have seen the results of too many accidents on those two wheeled beasts..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 18 Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Chad...Ralph and I were speaking about this as well. We'll be in the car right behind you guys carrying all the supplies

I'm with Ralph...Motorcycles scare the crap out of me!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #10 of 18 Old 10-25-2008, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

That's OK too. There were plenty of times my last trip that I would have appreciated the peace of mind in having a couple gallons of gas following behind.

Of course there's greater visibility in numbers, which is the biggest concern in riding - unless your amidst the wildlife in Yellowstone. Exterior walls hold more appeal when staring in the eye of a bissen three feet away that's anxious to cross the road. One starts to wonder how long before it realizes it's the bigger dog. When a small heard stampedes at you... well, hope you don't need to use the restroom.

I'd speak more to the prevailing logic regarding the safety of riding, if not for jinxing myself. I should probably knock on wood even leaving it at that. I will say that unless you're in a major city, there's a much greater sense of ease, riding in both the mid and far western states than the congested east coast. You can ride for hours in parts of Texas, Wyoming and California, even on major highways, without passing another soul.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #11 of 18 Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM

This is a milk producing bees movie.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-31-2008, 09:52 AM

These films have a certain charm, but for repeated viewings they strain ones patience, if you're looking for entertainment.

Aside from this, I find it interesting how putting the "Quentin Tarantino Presents" stamp on it, it's suddenly elevated to be something "important" for a blu ray release. "Jackie Brown" it ain't !
post #13 of 18 Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have to admit that I found this film to be much better than expected. PQ and AQ was right up there with some of the better transfers I've seen.

If you hadn't lived through the biker flicks of the 60's and 70's this film would probably not make much sense and seem dumb. If you have a background in this type of film, it is what Grind House was to that genre.

I had trouble not seeing Larry Bishop as the bar owner in Kill Bill II, but thought he did a good job as the biker gang boss. Most of the gang seemed age appropriate to have him as a leader, so he didn't look like the gang's grandfather.

Good T&A, violence - but not obscene, and moderate use of "F bombs" made the film a worthy trip down memory lane.

Remember, Easy Rider was the top dog in this category of movie. Those that remember flicks like "The Glory Stompers" will see this as a step up in both storyline and video quality.

Buy it? Probably not, but I did enjoy it as a rental. If you hate the acting and story line, at least you don't have to wait long for either some female nudity or violence. Given that, it's certainly worth a rental.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-22-2009, 02:18 AM

This flick is a little strange, with some good actors, but not great performances.
The story line is deja vu, so not much here on innovation.
The blu-ray quality is OK, but nothing to write home about.
"Bikes & Chicks" will be the best description, I guess.

I agree with Ralph, maybe give it a shot, but as for replay value, that's it; once you see it, there's nothing else to see.

That's my opinion.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
mmh i don't expect much but the blu ray quality seems excellent (sharp, deep)
and there is the fabulous Leonor Varela (remember Nissa from BLADE II or the lady in the Nespresso ad where she cuts the balls of the ice bull in front of Clooney (who she dated btw).
she's stunning beauty and underused actress. too bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D4Ly...eature=related
can't be bad on a big scope screen
post #16 of 18 Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

not to keep harping on it ,but another stink movie with good pq.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
indeed seems so
lots of bad movies with great pq and good movies with avg to bad pq
go figure...
post #18 of 18 Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 271
This is a grindhouse (B drive-in) movie. A movie that you check your mind at the door, and enjoy the visuals and audio soundtrack. In this regard the movie does work.

This movie is directed at the male baby boomers.

It is interesting in one way. You travel back in time to the late 60s and 70s story line, but the story line takes place in the 90s. It basically is the end of a era.

There is no question this movie is not appropriate for the kids and you probably will get some brain damage from the wife.

ss
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page