Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2008
MPAA Rating: Unrated/PG-13
Feature running time: 102/92 Minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish/Portuguese/Thai Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Indonesian
Starring: Will Smith, Charlize Theron, Jason Bateman, Eddie Marsan
Directed by: Peter Berg
Music by: John Powell
Written by: Vy Vincent Ngo & Vince Gilligan
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 25, 2008

"There are heroes. There are superheroes. And then there’s…"

Film Synopsis:

Academy Award® nominee Will Smith (Best Actor, The Pursuit of Happyness, 2006) stars in this action-packed comedy as Hancock, a sarcastic, hard-living and misunderstood superhero who has fallen out of favor with the public. When Hancock grudgingly agrees to an extreme makeover from idealistic publicist Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman), his life and reputation rise from the ashes and all seems right again--until he meets a woman with the key to his secret past.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=123185&d=1225394059

I saw Hancock with my family back in July while out in California vacationing. I am a Will Smith fan and after seeing the trailer for Hancock I was intrigued. I thoroughly enjoyed the first hour of the movie. I thought it was funny, fresh, and drew some really solid characters. Then came the third act and I couldn’t figure out why in the world someone would think that was a good idea. It spoiled the film’s flow and just made the movie feel as though someone had a great idea but didn’t know how to finish the thought so someone without a clue did it for them. I am not going to discuss the story because I don’t want to give anything away. The unrated version is roughly 10 minutes longer and didn’t add anything substantial to the story. Jason Bateman is very likeable which seems to transcend even small roles he plays. This part seemed like kind of a waste for an actress like Charlize Theron but she did well and looked great doing so. While I didn’t like the later plot point I think that overall Hancock was lots of fun. It certainly puts a whole new spin on the superhero genre and its Will Smith so it can’t be all bad….

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of sci-fi action, violence, and language. The unrated version has one scene that contains brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=123186&d=1225394059

Hancock comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.9 mbps.

Sony has been very consistent in the quality of their high definition offerings on Blu-ray Disc. Here is another excellent example of their commitment to high quality video encodings. I saw Hancock this summer while I was out in Los Angeles and from what I recall this video presentation mirrored it’s theatrical presentation. Images are highly detailed with resolute sharpness and fine rendering that is striking. It uses high contrast and reduced brightness which gives the video a dynamic but relatively darker overall essence. Blacks are very deep but gradationally crushed which also had an effect on shadow detail perception. Sequences with lots of light have good depth but don’t really pop. Colors are deeply saturated with hot primaries, excellent delineation and palette extension. Flesh tones are on the golden/orange side which gives the majority of the cast sun exposed complexions. They had enough tonal variety to prevent them from being unnatural in appearance. Grain is present and naturally rendered in fine layers. I didn’t see any video noise or compression related anomalies. Overall quality is excellent.

The lossless Dolby TrueHD soundtrack delivers well defined and punchy dynamics that elevate the perception of the multitude of sounds contained in this complex surround mix. Surround activity is quite engaging at times as it portrays an aural image filled with discrete/ambient audio that encapsulates the listening position. Panning sequences are seamlessly mated with the onscreen events regardless of direction. The track’s higher resolution was evidenced by its high level clarity and smooth tonal perspective. This applied to the rendering of dialogue as well. I was a bit disappointed with the depth of low frequency effects. This film is tailor made for room filling, high quality, deep bass extension but it didn’t have near the impact that I anticipated. That is not to say that bass was lacking because it was definitely present. There are a number of sequences where the room should have been kinetically charged with bass energy but instead offered response that was palpable but never attained deep room penetration. Two examples that come to mind are the train stopping/crash and super being battle sequences. The impact of the train slamming into Hancock had plenty of dynamic punch and metal crunching clarity but was missing the deep, quick, low frequency burst that should have underscored it. The result definitely felt less visceral. The same was true during the battle sequence as Hancock is literally hit over the head with a large tractor trailer. Lots of descriptive clarity and dynamic range but no gut punching sub bass impact. The scene at the bank fared better but still didn’t provide the rich solidity and deep bass presence that would have enhanced the tactility of the explosive onscreen action. There are some encodings where the low frequency effects channel is mixed too hot which can certainly be a distraction. This film doesn’t require a constant bombardment of 25hz bass extension however there were times here where it would have augmented the action and just didn’t. This is still a excellent surround mix though and I am sure that fans of the film will find it enjoyable.

Bonus Features:

Blu-ray Disc Exclusive:

• On set visual diary Bonus view PiP

• (HD) Super humans: The making of Hancock

• (HD) Seeing the future: A breakdown of 7 segments from the film

• (HD) Building a better here – 8 minute feature on visual effects

• (HD) Bumps and bruises: 10 minute feature on special effects/action sequences

• (HD) Home life: 11 minute feature on the designing of the sets

• (HD) Suiting up: 8 minute feature on designing the costumes/wardrobe

• (HD) Mere mortals: 4 minute segment - Behind the scenes with “Dirty Pete” (Director Peter Berg

• (HD) BD Previews

• BD-Live enabled

• D-Box Motion Code capable

• Digital Copy: Bonus Disc that contains a standard definition copy of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device
attachment.php?attachmentid=123187&d=1225394059

Final Thoughts:

Hancock left me feeling somewhat disappointed. It wasn’t a bad movie but it wasn’t a good one either. The first hour was really very enjoyable and is the real reason to see the movie. I am sure there are many who enjoyed it as a whole. Its debut on high definition Blu-ray Disc from Sony comes day and date with its standard definition counterpart. The Blu-ray disc contains exclusive bonus content in addition to all of the special features found on the two disc DVD edition. Overall audio/video quality is strong although not quite to the level that I had hoped for. I would suggest a rental prior to purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great review Ralph!... I thought that this could of been a demo disk but it seems that is not.... Hmm I had it for pre-order but now I am tempted to cancel it ...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #3 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw this in the theaters and felt pretty much the same way as Raph. Hancock had the potential to be the next "Iron Man" but instead it just another entertaining but forgettable movie Too bad because I like Will.
post #4 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Ralph, very good analysis. Personaly, I was expecting more from this movie. Hope they won't make Hancock 2. I cannot recall how it was at the box office... Normally, tickets sale is a good indication, not always but in this case I doubt.
post #5 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Ralph -

I know this won't be the fault of the transferring, but the original source to begin with... but is the poor CGI just that much more noticeable when watching this on Blu?
post #6 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 PM

I haven't seen this movie and was waiting for the Blu Ray to come out....I just can't believe though after seeing the case artwork they have put a huge spoiler on it and well my enthusiasm has gone so i think i'll wait before seeing this.

From the review i think i would enjoy the image quality of this disc but i'm unsure about whether i'd enjoy the film...Parts of it sound fun and the trailer seemed ok but i now know a top secret from the film and it's spoiling it for me.
post #7 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Good review. I just don't understand how you can spend millions and millions of dollars on a movie and then just drop the ball on the ending. I am Legend was kind of the same way.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #8 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

I haven't seen this movie and was waiting for the Blu Ray to come out....I just can't believe though after seeing the case artwork they have put a huge spoiler on it and well my enthusiasm has gone so i think i'll wait before seeing this.

From the review i think i would enjoy the image quality of this disc but i'm unsure about whether i'd enjoy the film...Parts of it sound fun and the trailer seemed ok but i now know a top secret from the film and it's spoiling it for me.

Don't worry, everything leading up to said "top secret" is golden. Once you realize what it is, you end up not liking the movie as much either way anyway.

I'm still buying this on Black Friday, guaranteed.
post #9 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

I saw this in the theaters and felt pretty much the same way as Raph. Hancock had the potential to be the next "Iron Man" but instead it just another entertaining but forgettable movie Too bad because I like Will.

It looked derivative in the trailers. Tony Stark is already an alcoholic super hero. Plus Peter Berg is a bit overrated(then again I think Michael Mann is too). But I'll reserve final judgement until I see some more films from him.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #10 of 64 Old 10-30-2008, 06:01 PM

witch version is it? uk?

ht: vpr -> Epson tw2000 , avr -> Denon 1909, sub -> mosscade titan 5.1, bdp: play3 slim My Blu-ray collection;)
post #11 of 64 Old 10-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't think Hancock was a great movie, but I was definately not disappointed.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Sure, the movie makes a big shift when Charlize's powers are revealed, but it also leads to revealing the reasons for Hancock's bad attitude. He had serious issues with the situation revolving around his last memories, wondering why no one cared or why there was no one to care.
The last half of the movie explains all of that. I did think they could have come up with a better "villain" character.

Hope I didn't spoil this for anyone, but I just thought the movie was better than it was getting credit for here.

BT

BTW, I Am Legend was a modern day tragedy. When the reality of what he had caused and how unlikely it was to be resolved hit, it was REALLY DEEP. It affected me more after the movie than during it.

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #12 of 64 Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 View Post

I didn't think Hancock was a great movie, but I was definately not disappointed.
Spoiler  
Sure, the movie makes a big shift when Charlize's powers are revealed, but it also leads to revealing the reasons for Hancock's bad attitude. He had serious issues with the situation revolving around his last memories, wondering why no one cared or why there was no one to care.
The last half of the movie explains all of that. I did think they could have come up with a better "villain" character.

Hope I didn't spoil this for anyone, but I just thought the movie was better than it was getting credit for here.

BT

BTW, I Am Legend was a modern day tragedy. When the reality of what he had caused and how unlikely it was to be resolved hit, it was REALLY DEEP. It affected me more after the movie than during it.

Greetings,

BT, I edited your post and added spoiler tags. Please be sure to use them in the future when making a post of this sort.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 64 Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

BT, I edited your post and added spoiler tags. Please be sure to use them in the future when making a post of this sort.

Regards,

Dumb question here, but how you add spoiler tags?

I only see three options QUOTE, CODE & PHP tags. I don't even know that the last two should be use for.
post #14 of 64 Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Dumb question here, but how you add spoiler tags?

I only see three options QUOTE, CODE & PHP tags. I don't even know that the last two should be use for.

Greetings,

Just place the text you want to hide between these [spolier] [/spolier] I mispelled spoiler so it would show up.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 64 Old 10-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Regards,

Thanks, my bad.

BT

Just remember, to the MPAA "We're all guilty until..............."
post #16 of 64 Old 11-01-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 286
First half of the film was great, the second half awful. This script needed several more rewrites. Great premise but poorly executed. I am sure there will be another. Hopefully they will take what was great about the first half and run with it. Other than the poor script, the real shocker for me was the audio which is not what I expected in terms of quality.

Louder is NOT better!
post #17 of 64 Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Well im still keeping mine on order and still looking forward in watching it.A few people who I know went to cinemas and thought it was great.

Frank
post #18 of 64 Old 11-04-2008, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well im still keeping mine on order and still looking forward in watching it.A few people who I know went to cinemas and thought it was great.

Greetings,

As well you should Frank. Everyone should make their own judgement of a film that interests them..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 64 Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM

watched this last week in bluray, loved it
post #20 of 64 Old 11-10-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Wouldn't life be dull if we all liked the same movies, food and music?

Superhero movies are my favorite genre and I LOVED Hancock. Absolutely going to buy as soon as I can.

Working at a Christian college most of my co-workers didn't like the film for all of the F-bombs. They didn't bother me or my family at all, really.

It probably helps me to hold the movie in such high esteem since two of my favorite actors are in it.
post #21 of 64 Old 11-17-2008, 02:57 AM
CIH USER

looking forward in watching my copy tonight

Frank
post #22 of 64 Old 11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
CIH USER

Ralph, have to say I agree in the Lfe of this film the bass was there but the scenes you mentioned the low frequncey is present but it felt they held back.The film in general was ok, but as some mentioned could of better.

Frank
post #23 of 64 Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I want 2 hours of my life back... What a waste. Too much soundtrack tipped to the front and low end tepid at best. Complete waste.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #24 of 64 Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 PM

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought it was a decent movie. Worth renting at least. But do agree with prior posts about the ending.. Could have been done quite a bit better..
post #25 of 64 Old 11-27-2008, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I watched the movie last night and I agree with the review..in both the audio and the video I always though something was missing...in the audio it lack the depth and extension in the lfe also I think the use of the surrounds could of been better...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #26 of 64 Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

So glad i'm not the only one who felt the audio was lacking.
post #27 of 64 Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 AM

Hancock is one of those films you either love or hate, no middle ground. My wife and I fall in the latter category, and we're big Will Smith fans. But this movie did him no favors -- it was a mess, flat out horrible. We suffered through the first 20 minutes of it, hoping it would improve, but never did so we gave up. Thank God I Netflixed it.
post #28 of 64 Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 AM

This is the first film i have seen that that the compressed dolby was not 640kb but the regular 448kb.I have the Canadian French labeled version.The sound seemed rather flat.
post #29 of 64 Old 11-29-2008, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ralph,

Your review speaks for me too. I think what I learned from the extra's is that the script came from a book. They didn't stray from the story line of the stupid book! What a cool movie that would have been without that freak out twist.

Big Will Smith fan here so I enjoyed the film overall.

Off Topic: Did you write a review on the BD55 and do you recommend it for the best "bang for the buck" player of today? I've followed your gear picks for a long time and miss your gear reviews. You have a way of finding the best stuff that don't have the huge price tags.

Thanks,

Brian (BassEarDrum)
post #30 of 64 Old 11-29-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Wound View Post

Ralph,

Your review speaks for me too. I think what I learned from the extra's is that the script came from a book. They didn't stray from the story line of the stupid book! What a cool movie that would have been without that freak out twist.

Big Will Smith fan here so I enjoyed the film overall.

Off Topic: Did you write a review on the BD55 and do you recommend it for the best "bang for the buck" player of today? I've followed your gear picks for a long time and miss your gear reviews. You have a way of finding the best stuff that don't have the huge price tags.

Thanks,

Brian (BassEarDrum)

Greetings,

Hey Brian ! It's good to see you here. I would say that the Panasonic BD-35 is the better bang for the buck. Its $100 cheaper and gives nothing away in terms of sound/picture quality.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Hancock Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Hancock by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page