Feature running time: 110 Minutes
Genre: Comedy/Action

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Steve Carell, Anne Hatah way, Alan Arkin, Dwayne Johnson, Terence Stamp
Directed by: Peter Segal
Music by: Trevor Rabin
Written by: Tom J. Astle & Matt Ember
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 4, 2008

Saving the worldand loving it"

Film Synopsis:

In the world of covert intelligence, only one man is Smart. Steve Carell is in CONTROL as Maxwell Smart, the novice agent often out of his depths but never out of options in this action comedy pitting him against the nuclear scheme of the evil spy group KAOS. Anne Hathaway partners with Max as ever-capable Agent 99. And director Peter Segal (The Longest Yard ) guides his stars (including Dwayne Johnson and Alan Arkin) through the dangerous realm of molar radios, multifunction pocketknives, exploding dental floss and more.

My Take:

I grew up watching Get Smart on TV and loved Don Adams as Agent 86. His signature a Ha! followed by the old is indelibly etched in my best recollections of the show. I think that Steve Carell was a great choice to portray the character in this film. His comedic timing and dry delivery came off with just the right amount of Don Adams reminiscence but was enough of his own so that it didn't feel like an imitation. Anne Hathaway's 99 wasn't really much like Barbara Feldon's but that was fine. A new approach made it feel more up to date and fresher. I can't say that I find her to be extremely attractive but there is something about her. She looked stunning in that glittery gown during the Russian Party scene. I thought the rest of the casting was well placed and featured some fun cameos and notable character actors. The story was simple enough and didn't offer any deep twists. I saw this while it was in theaters and thought it was okay. This re-visit left me liking it just a bit more. There are some great references to the old series and the it looked to me like everyone had a great time making the film. If you liked the TV show and/or are a Steve Carell fan that this film is lots of fun.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some rude humor, action violence and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Get Smart comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 mbps and lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 channel audio that has a constant bitrte of 640 kbps.

This high definition presentation comes framed in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and features vibrant images that are predominantly well defined and razor sharp. Certain shots that utilized low lighting weren't as definitively resolved which reduced dimensionality and depth. It hard to say whether this is innate to the photography or the encoding but I suspect it is the latter. Fine detail was clearly visible and at times was revealing of subtle texture in the physical characteristics of the cast. The long range camera shots of Moscow looked incredible as all of its aspects were rendered with an extended depth of field that persisted for everything caught within the cameras view. This is not a high bitrate encoding but I didn't detect any obvious signs of bit starvation. Colors were naturally rendered with pleasing tonality and vivid textures. Fleshtones were spot on and had excellent complexional divergence and subtle description among the cast. Blacks were deep and dynamic with noticeably limited gradational stages (slightly crushed). There were certain sequences where blacks and image depth really popped and looked superb. The nighttime shot of the square in Moscow looked wonderfully diverse as the deep black of the sky, and streets was offset by the bright lights of large central structure. Shadow detail was scene dependent, being very good at times and barely perceptible at others but overall was more positive than negative. Grain was present and appeared to be fairly consistent over the course of the film. I noticed some minor digital noise in backgrounds but couldn't say for sure what it was attributable to.

The lossy Dolby Digital soundtrack boasted a fairly wide dynamic palette and occasional over zealous bass extension. I love deep bass and I would never want to look a gift horse in the mouth. The amount of bass mixed to the LFE channel was probably not necessary. The quality of the bass was good as it was clean, extended and fairly room penetrating. My rather minor nitpick is that there were many instances where it was associated with events that really didn't require deep bass emphasis. I want to be clear that while this is noticeable it didn't infringe upon the balance of the soundstage or over shadow other elements present in the mix. Quite honestly I would rather have a situation such as this versus the opposite where LFE is lacking where it should provide emphasis. During the sequences where it felt appropriate bass had powerful authoritative impact that created a tangible low frequency platform that permeated the room. Dialogue was reproduced with clear definition and intonation. This mix was aggressive at times in it use of the entire surround platform. The sounds of explosions, falling debris, exterior venues, and the film's music score were spread out over the listening area with precise imaging and three dimensional envelopment that was rewarding. I couldn't help but feel that this soundtrack might have gone to the next level with a high resolution lossless audio encoding. I hope to start seeing lossless encodings on all future Blu-ray Disc releases from Warner but at a minimum on all new release titles.

Bonus Features:

• Smart Takes: Alternate scenes movie option

Behind the story:

1. The old I hid it in the movie track - References from the TV series contained in the film
  2. The right agent for the right job - Training and screen tests for Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway
  3. Max in Moscow! - A look at the location shooting locations in Russia
  4. Language lessons with Steve Carell

• Get Smarts Bruce and Lloyd Out of Control sneek peek

• Additional footage - The vomit reel and Spy confidential: gag reel

• Digital Copy: Bonus disc containing a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

• Bonus disc - Get Smart: KAOS Control DVD game

Final Thoughts:

Get Smart won't win any awards but it is a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. It respectfully pays homage to a wonderful TV sitcom that is loved by many and adds an updated flair of its own. Warner has done a good job with its debut on high definition Blu-ray Disc. Its video quality is excellent and although not a lossless audio encoding, the lossy Dolby Digital surround mix is satisfying. The bonus supplements are just average but do add a Blu-ray Disc exclusive in the form of an additional Get Smart interactive DVD game and a Digital Copy SD version for taking the film on the go. If you're a fan I would recommend you pick this one up. Everyone else may want to give it a rent first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the GET SMART, original Tv show box set, when it first came out, via TIME LIFE Video, some time ago.

It's the real thing, and ANYTHING else will just come up short, to me.

It being "fun" and "Ok", isn't enough for me to spend money on it, EVEN at average, on sale, retail, blu ray prices, UNLESS it's used and or heavily discounted to the under $14.99 level, or LOW eBay giveaway prices. I'm not that curious about seeing this Disaster.

It's a shame because, the talented, Steve Carell is in it. Should have been left alone.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 03:56 PM

I believe most of this film was shot using a digital Panavision Genesis camera system so the noise you see is probably something to do with being digitally shot. ( Some scenes were shot using normal 35mm camera systems but most was using digital camera's )

Shame Warners still can't provide lossless audio on major releases.
post #4 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sounds like fun. The original series was a huge hit in my house back in the day. Gee, 40+ years ago, I'm getting old! Mel Brooks and Buck Henry were the original creators, probably explains why it was so good. "Would you believe?"

Have to check if the series is available on Netflix instant. Have had a Roku player for a few weeks. Cheap fun.

Thanks Ralph

Joe
post #5 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This is a really fun movie that I enjoy during the summer.. I had it ordered on Amazon but cancel it as soon as I knew that they drop again the loosless audio... It is ridiculous that warner has been drooping the loosless sound in the new releases....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #6 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Especially considering that a Warner guy did so much to kick start DVD.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

This is a really fun movie that I enjoy during the summer.. I had it ordered on Amazon but cancel it as soon as I knew that they drop again the loosless audio... It is ridiculous that warner has been drooping the loosless sound in the new releases....

I hear a LOT of comment in this forum about the lack of "lossless sound" on WB digital film releases.

What's the difference ?

Is lossless sound THAT important to the average consumer, OR is the general aesthetic quality of the movie ?

As per the other post here, I can't believe that the sound of the motion picture cameras used on this thing, isn't any better than those used by Keaton or Chaplin in the Silent Film era !

Here's a film that, no matter "WHAT" audio type it has, it's NOT going to raise it above "Ok" quality...at BEST !

As a Consumer, and concerning a generally, beloved property, we should be concerned that they foisted this upon an unsuspecting public as something..."entertaining" and worth of our Coin.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfann View Post

Is lossless sound THAT important to the average consumer, OR is the general aesthetic quality of the movie ?

The average consumer probably doesn't care and is still using DVD....This forum has members who do care and want higher quality and after all shouldn't high definition media have HD picture AND HD Sound.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 04:18 AM

From some other discussion here on the topic, in BLU RAY SOFTWARE, it appears that it comes down to many issues,one of which, most likely, it's a case of the companies conspiring to make us double-dip, on re-releases.

If the past is prologue, that theory may be part of the story, that's MOST true about all of this.

I do feel there has been a lot of pressures, economic and otherwise to ramp-UP production of blu-rays with a loss, somewhere.

Personnally, I will leave me personal feelings aside, for the occasion when I go for my wallet, for Classic Film Releases or recent releases where it REALLY matters, and not disposable entertainment like this. I guess you have to pick your "battles".
post #10 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 08:22 AM

Not a movie I was watch twice, but good none the less
post #11 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

NO LOSSLESS OR LOSSY?????

NO LOSSLESS???

IS WARNER CRAZY???

THE SH*T HAS GOT TO STOP!!!
post #12 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I was going to buy this title day and date and pay the $24 at Amazon. Now I will wait for a sale or the 30% Warner code to return. I am not going to pay more than $18-19 for something that does not have lossless and gets thrown on a BD25. This movie grossed over $130 million at the box office (domestic only). It deserves a BD50, high bitrate PQ, and a lossless track. Just like Speed Racer, I will wait for the price to drop or rent it (rented Speed Racer vs buying).

Ralph. I hope you have some contacts at Warner. I can understand BD25 and no lossless on some low budget movie that did poor at the theater. But for a movie like Get Smart, Warner should be stepping up and delivering lossless.
post #13 of 23 Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I just saw this BD and overall I agree with the review... On the video side, sometimes the image was really good with depth blacks, vibrant colors, and good contrast but there were some scenes that didn't had that pop that most of the reference BDs have...
My guess is that is the encoding.... On the audio side, I expected something worst but it was a nice mix.. The LFE is nice but I think that with loosless sound would of been cleaner...

I hope that in the future there is another BD release of this movie with a BD50.

Christian

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #14 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I just saw this BD and overall I agree with the review... On the video side, sometimes the image was really good with depth blacks, vibrant colors, and good contrast but there were some scenes that didn't had that pop that most of the reference BDs have...
My guess is that is the encoding.... On the audio side, I expected something worst but it was a nice mix.. The LFE is nice but I think that with loosless sound would of been cleaner...

I hope that in the future there is another BD release of this movie with a BD50.

Greetings,

Thanks for your impressions Chris..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
One thing I think we all can agree on----Anne Hathaway looked freaking marvelous in this movie! The scene where she's in her short dress with her leg held up...WOWZA!!!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #16 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

One thing I think we all can agree on----Ann Hathaway looked freaking marvelous in this movie! The scene where she's in her short dress with her leg held up...WOWZA!!!

Dave,

There were a couple more there that are really good...I hope that I don't get remorse from not buying it...

Christian

post #17 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

One thing I think we all can agree on----Ann Hathaway looked freaking marvelous in this movie! The scene where she's in her short dress with her leg held up...WOWZA!!!

Greetings,

Absolutely...

Quote:

There were a couple more there that are really good...I hope that I don't get remorse from not buying it...

Your missing out Chris !!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I thought the video quality was pretty far above average. Nice sharp image, and the cinematography was very good.

Steve Carell does a great job.

Dan
post #19 of 23 Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

I thought the video quality was pretty far above average. Nice sharp image, and the cinematography was very good.

Steve Carell does a great job.

Dan

Greetings,

I agree stereomandan. Thanks for sharing your impressions..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 23 Old 12-15-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Absolutely...

Your missing out Chris !!

Cheers,

I ended up buying it!

Christian

post #21 of 23 Old 04-11-2009, 01:47 PM

I am such a noob. I thought it was a howl. I thought the video was awesome, the audio awesome and the movie very funny. I had a great time.
post #22 of 23 Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I netflixed this one. Not many laughs to me. Some chuckles, some laughs but overall not one for me to own. Then again as a kid I wasn't exactly a fan of the reruns. I think they both have exactly the same type of humor though.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
post #23 of 23 Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Steve Carell fell short - or more correctly, the writing fell short of capturing the real essence and nuance of Maxwell Smart. With this type of over-the-top character you can't go half way or 3/4 of the way. The TV show was so much wittier and "snappier" in the writing and delivery. Don Adams mastered the character perfectly but Carell missed it "by that much...". I will probably not watch this one again because it just did not do justice to the master, Don Adams. The other characters were done pretty well but the portrayal of Maxwell Smart just didn't do it for me. I grew up on the TV series so perhaps it was just too much to ask for. In an interview Carell admitted that he was not trying to be a carbon copy of Don Adams. That was probably a mistake. We were all expecting a carbon copy, weren't we?

I've run out of witty sayings...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Get Smart Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page