Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 833
attachment.php?attachmentid=123034&d=1225196046
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 98 Minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi - Action/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.4:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 EX, English/French/ Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Matt Lanter, Ashley Eckstein, James Arnold Taylor, Samuel L. Jackson, Christopher Lee
Directed by: Dave Filoni
Music by: Kevin Kiner
Written by: Henry Gilroy, Steve Melching, Scott Murphy
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 11, 2008

"In a galaxy far far away."

Film Synopsis:

In a galaxy far, far away... The Star Wars sage continues in this first ever animated feature from Lucasfilm Animation! Featuring some of your favorite characters and a host of new ones, this is Star Wars like you've never seen it before. As the Clone Wars sweep through the galaxy, Anakin Skywalker and his new Padawan learner Ahsoka Tano plunge into a dangerous mission to rescue the kidnapped son of crime lord Jabba the Hutt. The renegade Count Dooku is determined to make sure that they fail, and with his deadly assassin Asajj Ventress in pursuit, this is a mission with grave consequences. Meanwhile, on the front lines, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda lead the massive clone army in a valiant effort to defeat the droid army and resist the forces of the dark side. Lightsabers ready! A new era of adventure awaits!

My Take:

I went into this review with reserved expectations. I am a fan of the Star Wars franchise but I wouldn't say that I am a die hard disciple. I felt the story was simply drawn which isn't necessarily bad but it is not in keeping with what we are accustomed to from SW. The focus was of course on Anakin and Obie-Wan and takes place during the Clone Wars which occurs between Episodes II and III. They are assigned by Yoda to rescue the son of Jabba the Hutt who has been kidnapped. Jabba's cooperation is essential to the Jedi's because he controls access to the supply routes needed for the war effort. This is the basis for the story with little deviation. The majority of the characters should be familiar to those who have seen Episodes I - III. Count Dooku and Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious are the Dark Side baddies and they have a new minion in Asajj Ventress. There is a new character on the side of the Force in Padwan Ahsoka Tano who is assigned to Anakin for training. She is a youngling and very eager to prove herself. Once the story is setup and the introductions have been made things move forward. I thought that some of the dialogue felt out of place. There was a goofy and incompetent member of the Droid Army who seemed like his sole purpose was just to be the comic relief. The banter between Ahsoka and Anakin seemed overly trivial at times. I actually liked her but felt that she was just a bit too much like Anakin and not original enough. The animation left the male characters with chiseled features that lacked suppleness. This made them look far from anything that resembled real life. The females fared better but not by much. The physical aspect that I thought was done well was how their eyes were drawn. I thought they were very expressive and beautifully rendered.

There are quite a few fight and action sequences over the course of the film. Some are light saber based while others are larger battle set pieces. None offered anything that we haven't seen before but I still enjoyed them just the same. I found it odd that Anakin didn't really show any signs of the anger or internal struggle that plagued him at this point. The only mention of anything close was when he seemed uncomfortable returning to Tatooine. When it was over it felt more like a movie about Star Wars than a piece of the puzzle that is the ongoing saga. This film is designed to be an introduction to the upcoming TV series. On its own I didn't find it objectionable at all. I think that looking at it as part of the series as it relates to the films it felt out of place.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for Sci-Fi action violence, brief language and momentary smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Star Wars: The Clone Wars comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 EX sound that has an average bitrate of 2 mbps.

It was apparent that steps were taken to ensure that this film had a visual style similar to that of Episodes I - III. Colors were overstated in saturation with vivid tonality and excellent delineation which I found visually stimulating. Images have strong contrast and opulent depth. There is a pristine quality to the video that brings out the small intricacies inherent in the animated design of the ships, characters and sets. I wouldn't describe it as razor sharp but it has a defining clarity with crisp resolution that is discerning. The Dolby TrueHD sound mix was pretty much what I expected. It features an active surround stage that presents a 360 degree sound field that is abundant in discrete and ambient effects. Imaging in the rear channels was excellent as sounds are properly located within the listening environment. Seamless front channel pans resulted in an improved sense of cohesiveness as the audio precisely matched the images onscreen. Voices were tonally descriptive and clear through the center channel. The low frequency effects channel delivered multi-layered bass response that was noteworthy. Low frequencies had variable depth that was appropriately consistent with the elements contained in the soundtrack. Bass never reached prodigious levels or sub hertz frequencies however it was tightly focused, with rich tactile perception, and deep room penetration. I thought this presentation sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• A creative conversation: Video commentary with Dave Filoni, Catherine Winder, Henry Gilroy, Jason W.A. Tucker

Behind the story:

1. (HD) The Clone Wars: the untold story
  2. (HD) The voices of The Clone Wars - featuring recording sessions for the film and several of the TV episodes
  3. (HD) The music score - with Kevin Kiner a 90 piece orchestra
  4. (HD) Gallery

Webisodes:

1. Introduction: Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  2. (HD) Epic battles
  3. (HD) The Clones are coming
  4. (HD) Heroes
  5. (HD) Villains
  6. (HD) Anakin's Padwan

• (HD) Trailers - Launch, Dark and (SD) Video game trailers

• Game - The Hologram - memory challenge game

• Digital Copy - Bonus Disc containing a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

Final Thoughts:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars will more than likely be disappointing to die hard SW fans. Personally I didn't find it to be bad when looked at on its own rather than as a fulfilling piece of the Star Wars pie. For those who liked it they are going to be pleased with its debut on Blu-ray Disc. Its high definition picture is gorgeous and it delivers a wonderfully engaging surround sound experience. The bonus supplements are comprehensive and pertinent to the film as well as the upcoming TV series. This is one that is best rented unless you are a fan.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Graeat review. This confirms a rent over a buy on this one. How can a CGI movie with a THX logo not get a reference grade from either audio or video?
post #3 of 30 Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Noah_ View Post

Graeat review. This confirms a rent over a buy on this one. How can a CGI movie with a THX logo not get a reference grade from either audio or video?

Greetings,

It was close on both counts Noah..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 30 Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
maybe we should boycot anything new from Lucas until something comes out on BR from SW. Tired of him using his fans.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #5 of 30 Old 11-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

It was close on both counts Noah..

Cheers,

Thanks for the insight. And just to clarify, I was questioning the production quality of the movie, not your review. Your reviews are always very well put together and accurate.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-07-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Ralph,

2 stars is generous for this movie. The script catered to kids 10 and under, but my son (who is almost 10) and his friend watched with me. After about 30 minutes, they wanted to leave the room because they felt it was that bad (and I agreed with them). We watched until the end, but this is a sad addition to the Star Wars franchise IMO, and I am a Die Hard fan (which can be attested by my huge collection of expanded universe books)!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7 of 30 Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Dave,

I saw this movie in a theater with digital projection and what I remembered is that the image was quite impresive and the sound was quite nice as well.. I agree that the script is on the thin side, but the music, image and nice CGI, didn't make it as dissapointing though...
I hope that Lucas soon releases the SW saga as I am a die hard fan of the franchise as well...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #8 of 30 Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Thanks Ralph for the review will be looking forward in receiving my copy. Hopefully we will see the rest of the saga soon released in BD.

Frank
post #9 of 30 Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

A rental for me as well and it is shipping today and hopefully I'll get it tommorrow. Thanks for the review, Ralph. I waiting for the real war though tomorrow as well!
post #10 of 30 Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Guys why can't I find the REAL star wars trilogy on Blu-ray???

What the heck is up with that???
post #11 of 30 Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Loved the clone wars in blue ray. Surround sound was a little disappointing but I think this is one I'll need to add to my Star Wars set. I buy very few DVD's as I have BlockBuster movie pass.
post #12 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I also have to admit being disappointed with the surround sound. I found the track to be very muddled. Oh, what's with the TRUEHD EX? Had this been any other studio than Warners i'm convinced we would have had a discrete 6.1 at minimum.
post #13 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

That's the problem with some of these movies. There just isn't enough bandwidth left over after the audio and video for a story. IIRC, Speed Racer had the same problem.

Robin: "You can't get away from Batman that easy!"
Batman: "Easily."
Robin: "Easily."
Batman: "Good grammar is essential, Robin."
Robin: "Thank you."
Batman: "You're welcome."
post #14 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 07:08 AM

Liked: 11
LOL! Howard that was a good one!
Best,
Chris
post #15 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I started to watch this movie last night and I agree on the ratings... The image although that is sharp is not as good as Kung Fu Panda. It is the close to what I saw in a digital projection theater, but still not there..

The audio is good but again not as good as Kung Fu Panda....
The good thing is that Life THX trailer..

Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #16 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I started to watch this movie last night and I agree on the ratings... The image although that is sharp is not as good as Kung Fu Panda. It is the close to what I saw in a digital projection theater, but still not there..

The audio is good but again not as good as Kung Fu Panda....
The good thing is that Life THX trailer..

I watched this movie last night. I did not think that I was going to like it after reading some reviews. I understand that people are saying the picture is a little soft, but the colors are beautiful. I actually liked this movie.
post #17 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Haven't picked this up yet but definately will. My son is a big fan. LOVES Cody and Rex (Can't remember which is captain and which is commander).

Did y'all know there is a Target exclusive cover? It features a Clone instead of Annakin. That is the one I'll need to get for my boy.
post #18 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I enjoyed the film, but I think the animated series spanks it. The 30 minute episodes are much better and you get introduced or re-introduced to your favorite characters. Cartoon Network in HD rocks! My 4 year old and I watch them on Saturday morning with great anticipation ( I think more anticipation on my side than his ).

I thought the BluRay looked as good as in the theater but the soundtrack was not as powerful.
post #19 of 30 Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched last night via Netflix rental. It had BoB to contend with for viewing time. I enjoyed it and that was my chief concern because I didn't want to waste time. The audio and picture quality? Nothing for me to complain about, both were very good!

Glad I watched it but I'm sure some will not like it. I never saw the TV series that folks are posting about and if I had, maybe it would be a different opinion versus that for content.
post #20 of 30 Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Watched last night via Netflix rental. It had BoB to contend with for viewing time. I enjoyed it and that was my chief concern because I didn't want to waste time. The audio and picture quality? Nothing for me to complain about, both were very good!

Glad I watched it but I'm sure some will not like it. I never saw the TV series that folks are posting about and if I had, maybe it would be a different opinion versus that for content.

Im watching mine tonight, never saw the tv animated series either.

Frank
post #21 of 30 Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 PM

For anyone interested, BestBuy has this title for sale this week down to $25 from the normal $30. Not that great of a sale I agree, but they are offering an additional 100 bonus points on the purchase as well.

So, for $25 I was going to get it anyway, but 125 points sweetens the deal if you're a Rewards Club member.
post #22 of 30 Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM
CIH USER

Finished watching this last night and have to say pq and sq good but story, not the best. I don't know whats happening with this franchise but my guess Lucas has approved it and he has certainly lost the plot. Long time ago Starwars used to be NO 1 in my best list but know it's LOTR,Potter,Matrix etc,etc then Starwars.

Frank
post #23 of 30 Old 12-10-2008, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Best part of this BR is the THX flower intro. Really exercises the system.
post #24 of 30 Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Best part of this BR is the THX flower intro. Really exercises the system.

AGREED! Although I have not scene Clone Wars, the intro is apparently the same as for the new Indy flick, love it.
post #25 of 30 Old 12-26-2008, 02:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

AGREED! Although I have not scene Clone Wars, the intro is apparently the same as for the new Indy flick, love it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this as I am a big fan of the Animated Series. My son and I watched this yesterday evening and we were both entertained. The extras on the disc are great to watch as well. The series gives more time for character driven stories I enjoy viewing the clones as individuals.
post #26 of 30 Old 12-30-2008, 01:19 PM

I watched this in the theaters out of curiosity... guess I shouldn't have watched it there. This is not something that should be watched expensively. I suggest that this be rented out, unless you're a collector.
post #27 of 30 Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched this movie a while ago on my previous projector the RS1. Since two nights ago I had my new RS20 professionally calibrated by a THX calibrator, I revisited a few scenes of this BD. WOW! the video really impressed me... The deep blacks that it shows, it give me just hope and more desire on when SWs will be finally realized...

post #28 of 30 Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could take HD screencaptures of the following segments from the original films in the documentaries, assuming they're true HD and not just upscale quality. Thanks in advance if so. If they don't look that great anyway don't worry about it.

The Clone Wars: The Untold Story
*Luke looking at the Twin Suns of Tatooine (wide shot, shortly after the "Untold Stories" logo comes up). (Episode IV: A New Hope)
*The shots from the Battle of Geonosis. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
*Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker dueling on Mustafar (first shot). (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)

Webisode: Introducing Star Wars: The Clone Wars
*Obi-Wan Kenobi on Utapau (about 1:26). (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
*Anakin kneeling before Palpatine (about 1:33, focusing on Palpatine). (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
*Anakin with Sith/yellow eyes on Mustafar. (following shot) (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)

Webisode: Epic Battles
*TIE Fighter chasing X-wing during the final Death Star scene. (about 0:25) (Episode IV: A New Hope)
*AT-ATs on Hoth (0:32). (Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Webisode: The Clones Are Coming
*Clones in red uniforms on Kamino in a mess hall. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
*Clone troopers lining up to receive helmets. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
*Hundrds of clone troopers marching onto a ramp. (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
*Yoda landing with clone troopers on Geonosis (0:30). (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
*Yoda with a green clone trooper (Commander Gree) and Chewbacca on Kashyyyk (0:38). (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
*Clone Commander Cody receiving Order 66 on Utapau. (0:55) (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
*Jedi Temple. (1:55) (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
*Jedi Council. (1:59) (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)

Webisode: Heroes
*Han Solo in Stormtrooper armor. (0:19) (Episode IV: A New Hope)
*Jedi starfighters during the Battle of Coruscant. (0:26) (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)
*Anakin standing over Dooku before beheading him. (1:05) (Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)

Webisode: Villains
*Emperor Palpatine. (2:24) (Episode VI: Return of the Jedi)
*Count Dooku using Force lightning. (2:55) (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)
post #29 of 30 Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 PM

I had a quick look at the Webisodes this morning and the only segments that I thought looked really good were those from Episodes II and III. Not sure about the ones from the original trilogy - didn't look "high definition" to me but I'm no expert.

Anyway, the segments are very brief and I'm unable to take screen captures so probably not much help!
post #30 of 30 Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM

Alright, thanks for the info. That makes sense, since II and III were the only ones made in HD and I wasn't sure if the originals had been remastered or not.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Star Wars The Clone Wars The Complete Season One Blu Ray , Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Four Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page