Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 108 Old 11-22-2008, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommi1974 View Post

I was not sure where else to "properly" put this question but it pertains to this movie in Blu Ray. I have a calibrated set, LN-T4053 Sammy that is great. I have always wondered however why animated films never looked the way I want a cartoon/animation to look with vivid colors, contrast etc.

Today I watched this movie in Blu Ray and it was impressive to say the least using my calibrate movie setting on a ps3. Out of curiousty I changed my tv setting to Dynamic just for kicks and I have to say, that with at least animations/cartoons in my opinion, the picture goes from awesome to to mind blowing. I tested this with Cars as well and again noticed how much better they looked with this setting.

Perhaps I have this vision as to how animated movies are to look but in my opinion and moving forward, I will continue to use Dynamic on just these types of movies. It was a surreal experience. I have never used that setting for over a year as it is terrible for movies and as everyone knows is just usually there to sell TV's in a showroom.

Does anyone else agree that this flick or others just look fantastic using Dynamic or even Standard when compared to your normal calibrated set?

Again was not sure where to post this as it is kind of calibration related but also pertaining to this movies quality. If this is in the wrong spot, could a mod please move to a more proper thread?

Thanks guys...

Does anyone have any input on this? How many here change their settings to vivid or dynamic when watching just animated flicks? I for some reason just like that "pop" effect that cartoons/animated features display with the higher contrast and backlight.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 11-22-2008, 08:35 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Absolutley loved this both PQ and SQ evrything was perfect. Spot on Ralph.This film deserves to be in the 100 Category.Hopefully there will be a few joining this film very soon.

Frank

post #93 of 108 Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Absolutley loved this both PQ and SQ evrything was perfect. Spot on Ralph.This film deserves to be in the 100 Category.Hopefully there will be a few joining this film very soon.

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Frank...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 108 Old 11-22-2008, 11:55 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kommi1974 View Post

Does anyone have any input on this? How many here change their settings to vivid or dynamic when watching just animated flicks? I for some reason just like that "pop" effect that cartoons/animated features display with the higher contrast and backlight.

Thanks again.

I like to watch animation with a slightly higher gamma setting which makes the image really pop!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #95 of 108 Old 11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not really one who wants to endure the crowds on black Friday, but I saw that amazon has almost matched the prices expected that day, so after reviewing all the comments here, I decided to order this title. It should arrive Tuesday, so I can watch it on Thanksgiving day--and no crowds on Friday! I am happy.
post #96 of 108 Old 11-23-2008, 05:09 PM

I watched this movie for the 1st time last week. For a DreamWorks animation, it was better than I had expected. PQ is outstanding, mainly, because of the "3-D" effects of the CGI characters and exotic scenery throughout the movie. The audio is also well done - the surround mix is better than most non-animated films.

Great movie for kids of all ages, including older adults who are still kids at heart.

And, yea, I usually watch animations in vivid, high motion flow settings.
post #97 of 108 Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Ralph,

Was debating on whether to pick this up tomorrow and you helped make my decision. I'm not a Jack Black fan but from your review, it seems that it will be enjoyable to watch. In addition, if the video and audio are that good, I need to see/hear this movie.

Thanks,

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #98 of 108 Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

Hi Ralph,

Was debating on whether to pick this up tomorrow and you helped make my decision. I'm not a Jack Black fan but from your review, it seems that it will be enjoyable to watch. In addition, if the video and audio are that good, I need to see/hear this movie.

Thanks,

Mike T

Greetings,

I hope you enjoy it Mike. Post back and let us know what you thought..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #99 of 108 Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I saw Panda in the theater and LOVED it....
I saw Wall-E twice in the theater, and once on BluRay and it gets better each time (and gorgeous on BluRay).
I have Panda sitting downstairs just waiting to be watched on blu....I hope it can live up to this review...
post #100 of 108 Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I hope you enjoy it Mike. Post back and let us know what you thought..

Cheers,

Hello again Ralph. I'll make this short and sweet......my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this movie, even Jack Black. I'm actually envious of the folks who can create this kind of art.

Next on our list is Wall-E.
Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #101 of 108 Old 12-15-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

Hello again Ralph. I'll make this short and sweet......my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this movie, even Jack Black. I'm actually envious of the folks who can create this kind of art.

Next on our list is Wall-E.
Mike T

Greetings,

Glad the hear it Mike....

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #102 of 108 Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Holy smokes Ralph!

This is the first BR i've seen with a perfect score of 100. Needless to say this is going into my collection. I've seen the movie in theater but now definitely a must have movie.

Thanks Ralph! Merry Christmas!
post #103 of 108 Old 12-24-2008, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Holy smokes Ralph!

This is the first BR i've seen with a perfect score of 100. Needless to say this is going into my collection. I've seen the movie in theater but now definitely a must have movie.

Thanks Ralph! Merry Christmas!

Greetings,

Your are quite welcome.

Merry Christmas to you as well...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #104 of 108 Old 12-27-2008, 12:22 PM

I had just watched the movie on my Panny 50", PS3 and with an Onkyo 705, with BA speakers, setup to a 7.1 system.

Video was great, but to me the audio was top notch, not quite Die Hard 3, but subtle when needed and pretty intense when called for.

Just my opinion......
post #105 of 108 Old 12-30-2008, 12:14 PM

I watched this in the theater and the movie was great. I have always loved Jack Blacks performances and this one is not an exception. The funny antics and style of Po perfectly depicts Jack Black to the hair.... XD
I felt like a child while watching this funny movie, a difinite movie to watch by the whole family. Highly recommended.
I'm definitely getting this on Blu ray, as I have already planned. hehehe...
post #106 of 108 Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 AM

Not that I'm a Kung-Fu fanatic or have seen every good martial arts film out there, but Kung-Fu Panda is not only one of the best animated films ever, IMO it's also one of the best Kung-Fu movies ever. Animation, as it turns out, is an awesome medium for Kung-Fu!

Since it was mentioned in this thread, I too was not completely taken by WallE...on the first viewing (at a theater). But on BRD it seems to be one that gets better with repeated views, much better the 2nd time. The fact is, people will connect with any given animated feature in different ways depending on the story, and I know my own impressions can vary from day to the next. I often try to watch things at least twice.

Thanks Ralph, for this spot-on review, I agree "100".
post #107 of 108 Old 03-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Wow, I just got this movie tonight and it was awesome! I couldn't believe the quality!

Spoiled me and my kids. [IMG]http://z09a0222gshv273.imageshacknow.info/img/3044************************[/IMG]
post #108 of 108 Old 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Hi,

Kung Fu Panda is a great animation feature film, with excellent picture and sound.
Jack Black is perfect for the role.

Dreamworks is right behind Pixar on the animation quality business side.
This is a fine example of the talents of their team.
The audio soundtrack is no small feat either.

All in all, an excellent story line with picture & sound to match, a feast for the senses.
Very enjoyable, indeed.

Cheers.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Kung Fu Panda Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Kung by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page