Studio and Year: DreamWorks - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 88 Minutes
Genre: Animated/Comedy/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Voice talents: Jack Black, Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Lucy Liu, Ian MacShane, Seth Rogan, Jackie Chan, David Cross, Michael Clarke Duncan
Directed by: John Stevenson & Mark Osborne
Music by: Hans Zimmer & John Powell
Written by: Ethan Reiff, Cyrus Voris, Jonathan Aibel, Glenn Berger
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 9, 2008

"Prepare for awesomeness….Skidoosh!"

Film Synopsis:

Enthusiastic, big and a little clumsy, Po works in his family’s noodle shop while daydreaming about becoming a Kung Fu master. His dreams soon become reality when he is unexpectedly chosen to join the world of Kung Fu and study alongside his idols-the legendary fighters Tigress, Crane, Mantis, Viper and Monkey-under the leadership of their guru, Master Shifu. But before they know it, the vengeful and treacherous snow leopard Tai Lung is headed their way, and it’s up to Po to defend everyone from the oncoming threat. Can he turn his dreams of becoming a Kung Fu hero into reality? Po puts his heart and his girth into the task, and ultimately finds that his greatest weaknesses turn out to be his greatest strengths.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=123932&d=1226170698

I think when the subject of Jack Black comes up folks are divided into two camps, either you like him or you don’t. There is usually no gray area in this regard. Personally I like Jack Black and when I saw that this film was being released this summer it interested me but unfortunately I didn’t catch it theatrically. I didn’t read anything about it going into this review but quite honestly had relatively high hopes seeing as it was coming from DreamWorks. I am happy to report that it easily met my expectations and was really lots of fun. The development of all of the characters wasn’t particularly in depth but the story provided enough background (especially in the case of the three central figures) to establish a clear bond with them. The actors who lent their voices to them were perfectly placed and I always enjoy trying to figure who they based upon vocal recognition. Po was an absolute perfect physical characterization of Jack Black if he were a Panda bear. In my opinion this really helped to meld the animated character with the actors attributes and made him seem more believable (not that he needed to be).

The story isn’t a complicated one and revolves around the search for the Dragon Warrior who is the only being capable of possessing the understanding the ancient secret scroll. There is an old kung fu master named Oogway who is the only one capable of identifying who is to become the Dragon Warrior. There are five kung fu fighters otherwise known as the Furious Five, who have trained for years under Oogway’s apprentice, Shifu, a kung fu master who has prepared them to potentially become the Dragon Warrior. Po has loved kung fu his whole life but works in his father’s noodle shop while dreaming of one day becoming a kung fu master. The fly in the ointment is a rather powerful and ill tempered former Shifu kung fu apprentice name Tai Lung, who was imprisoned for trying to take the secret scroll in order to become the Dragon Warrior. Oogway stopped him because he wasn’t the chosen one and he has been locked away for 20 years. Oogway has deemed that the time has come to chose who is to be the Dragon Warrior and the whole village turns out for the ceremony. Po arrives with his noodle wagon and after a series of accidental events is seen by Oogway who then identifies him as the chosen one. The story moves along and of course he begins his training under a very reluctant and skeptical Shifu. He is a misfit that is looked down upon by the Furious Five but achieves some level of acceptance. Shifu, Oogway, Po and the Furious Five have not heard the last of Tai Lung who feels betrayed and still wants to claim the secret scroll and become the Dragon Warrior. You will just have to see it for yourself to see how things turn out.

This a very entertaining and fun film that can be enjoyed by the whole family. It doesn’t have the emotional and moving aspects of some other animated classic films but its charming and memorable nonetheless. I watched it with my son and we had a ball.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of martial arts action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=123934&d=1226170698

Kung Fu Panda comes to Blu-ray Disc from DreamWorks featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps.

This is a reference quality presentation that has garnered the first perfect overall technical score that I have given. The video quality was nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the film’s animated images. The video was exquisitely detailed with a luminous and sparkling clarity that was incredibly three dimensional. I couldn’t get over how much visual penetration and depth there was. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame was superb. During the opening sequence Po is serving bowls of noodles in his Dad’s restaurant. He is balancing several of the filled bowls on his arm as he walks around. The individual noodles within each bowl was sliding around in conjunction with his movements with realistic fluidity. The fur that covered Po, and Shifu had remarkable subtle nuance and degrees of separation. Blacks were rich, visually dynamic and noticeably gradational. The dark and shadowy labyrinths that made up the prison where Tai Lung was being held had excellent depth and appreciable variational stages. Colors were vivacious, vibrant and eye popping. They had a lustrous and supreme quality that was just beautiful in high definition.

The Dolby TrueHD surround mix was simply marvelous. This is an aggressive and complex sound design that truly benefited from the higher resolution that lossless audio offers. Dynamics were first rate as the elements contained within the soundtrack had definitive energetic potential. This played hand in hand with its superlative clarity and high level sonic detail. Bass impact was prodigious at times as it reached room shaking depths that resonated through the listening area. This was the case over the course of the film as deep bass frequencies regularly accentuated the onscreen action. The culmination of which occurred in Chapter 22 around the 1:15 mark. This sequence delivered a deep sub bass burst that easily reached into the mid to upper 20hz regions. The plethora of discrete and ambient based sounds contained in this busy soundtrack created a dazzling 360 degree sound field that truly stimulated the aural senses. Front and rear channels were seamlessly integrated with excellent proportional perspective and imaging. As you would expect dialogue was crystal clear with strong intonation and descriptive variance.

This presentation is truly demonstrative worthy in every regard as is looked and sounded sublime.

Bonus Features:

• Inside Kung Fu Panda:

1. Filmmaker‘s commentary
  2. The animator‘s corner
  3. Trivia track
  4. (HD) Meet the cast
  5. (HD) Pushing the boundaries
  6. (HD) Conversation international: Help save Wild Pandas

• Po’s Power Play:

1. Dragon Warrior Training Academy
  2. Dumpling shuffle
  3. (HD) Learn to draw

• The sounds and moves of Kung Fu Panda:

1. (HD) Sound design
  2. (HD) “Kung Fu fighting“ music video by Cee-Lo
  3. (HD) Learn the panda dance
  4. (HD) Do you Kung Fu?

• Land of the Panda

1. Mr. Ping’s noodle house
  2. (HD) How to use chop sticks
  3. (HD) Inside the Chinese Zodiac
  4. Animals of Kung Fu Panda
  5. What fighting style are you?

• (HD) DreamWorks Animation Video Jukebox

• (HD) Trailers - Monster‘s vs. Aliens, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa

• BD-Live:

1. A day in the life: A Shaolin monk in training
  2. Po around the world - See how to “skidoosh“ in 12 different languages
attachment.php?attachmentid=123933&d=1226170698

Final Thoughts:

Kung Fu Panda is a charming and fun movie that can be enjoyed by all. Conceptually it might not be original but its use of stimulating visuals and clever dialogue help to give it an air of freshness that is unmistakable. DreamWorks has debuted it on high definition Blu-ray Disc in a complete package that features spectacular audio/video quality and extensive bonus supplements that make it a must have for every serious collector. Highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks, Ralph.
100. Wow. I liked this movie and might go ahead and pick it up tomorrow.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #3 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 PM

Liked: 10
I wonder what they think they're gaining with a Sunday release? If anything, it seems like they would tick off retailers by upsetting the routine.

All of this science is hurting my brain!
post #4 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Sorry for the nitpick but there seems to be something missing in your Audio ratings (only 4 categories instead of 5, and one rating is only 4.5 out of 5 so the total wouldn't be 100).
post #5 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Great!
cant wait to get it
never saw it in theaters but will enjoy it with my family at home
the first 100 score!! finally
Just wondering if this is 100, what will Ralph rate Baraka as?

Panda 100 as best animation PQ and Baraka as 100 for best live PQ?

Ralph or uses - one quesiton - Does the BR disc have as one of the bonus features the extra movie "Secrets of the Furious 5" that is included if you buy the double disc/case package on DVD only? or is the BR camp getting shortchanged on the extra movie? I didnt see that listed in your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post

I wonder what they think they're gaining with a Sunday release? If anything, it seems like they would tick off retailers by upsetting the routine.

"We each pay a fabulous price, for our visions of paradise. But a spirit with a vision, is a dream with a mission" - Rush
post #6 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Sorry for the nitpick but there seems to be something missing in your Audio ratings (only 4 categories instead of 5, and one rating is only 4.5 out of 5 so the total wouldn't be 100).

Greetings,

Thanks very much for catching that. I was missing an end text in the coding. All set..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglerxt View Post

Great!
cant wait to get it
never saw it in theaters but will enjoy it with my family at home
the first 100 score!! finally
Just wondering if this is 100, what will Ralph rate Baraka as?

Panda 100 as best animation PQ and Baraka as 100 for best live PQ?

Ralph or uses - one quesiton - Does the BR disc have as one of the bonus features the extra movie "Secrets of the Furious 5" that is included if you buy the double disc/case package on DVD only? or is the BR camp getting shortchanged on the extra movie? I didnt see that listed in your comments

Greetings,

The 'Secrets' is not included with the BD....sorry.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

From what I have previewed of it so far, WOW.

A certain bullseye retailer had it out early..
post #9 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Loved it but not sure the sound deserved a 100.
post #10 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
100. Wow! Now I cannot wait for Monday, when I expect to be delivered.

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #11 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 04:42 PM

A great movie. Recommended.
post #12 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I never thought I'd say this, but this is the first year Pixar did a movie I wasn't crazy about, and Dreamworks did one that I was.

Wall-E actually left me disappointed, but Kung Fu Panda was great. It seems Dreamworks is finally paying attention to the story aspect of these films, something Pixar caught on to right away. The BD transfer is wonderful, I agree with the reviews so far.

Adults will like this just as much as the kids. Blind buy material.

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...

...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
post #13 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Ralph,

I think the aspect ratio is mentioned wrong. It should be 2.35:1 instead of 1.78:1, unless this was some kind of open matte presentation.

Blu-ray : 340
post #14 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Liked: 16
I didn't see this in blue ray,but i saw it in dvd.
The quality was amazing.But,i bet it's 100 times the quality in high def.
If no one hasn't seen it yet,i pre to rent it. It's entertaining and cute. I had some dialog problem on regular dvd,but that may be cause of my room and reflections. I may have to buy this movie.
post #15 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 08:54 PM

wooohoo the kids loved this movie (as did i) cant wait to pick this up tomorrow and watch it with the family..100!!
post #16 of 108 Old 11-08-2008, 09:57 PM

I went out and bought this movie after reading the review. My son and I LOVED this movie. It was so well done and just a lot of fun to watch.

Thank you for the review.

If you haven't seen this movie yet go out and get it.
post #17 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 01:04 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Definitley can't wait Ralph

Frank

post #18 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I got to see this Thursday on Blu-ray and was amazed. This may be the best animated film I have seen on Blu-ray yet, but all of them have been very good. We actually played this at my work and the customers were absolutely in shock on how good the film looked on Blu-ray and everyone said Blu-ray is at the top of their list to pick up for Christmas. It is movies like this that can really move people.
post #19 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Hi Ralph,

I think the aspect ratio is mentioned wrong. It should be 2.35:1 instead of 1.78:1, unless this was some kind of open matte presentation.

Greetings,

you are right lgans316. I should have caught that in my proof read as that info comes right from the press kit (which has it stated incorrectly).

Thanks.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
watched the movie last night from Blockbuster and everyone loved the movie. we were all laughing out loud several times.

Did I miss something by renting it? The copy from BB did not have hardly any extras.
Is this a two disc set in blu?

The video was certainly 100 but the audio was not 100 in my opinion.
post #21 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

My thoughts exactly. Glad to see I am not the only one heh.
post #22 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

watched the movie last night from Blockbuster and everyone loved the movie. we were all laughing out loud several times.

Did I miss something by renting it? The copy from BB did not have hardly any extras.

Greetings,

Ed/Stix2, whether to score its audio perfect or less may be dependent on the things you look (or listen ) for. Its probably a moot point as long as when it was over you enjoyed the experience...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's a single disc set. Go to the extras section of the main menu. If it's not there then BB must have gotten a special rental version.

To me, it was a 100 experience on both. I was blown away. I had a smile on my face the entire time.
post #24 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Erm, how can this get a 100 when there's no 7.1 and the film got 4 out of 5?

Looks like a good film, maybe even into reference regions, but not 100.....

Anyway, I'll have to go get me a copy and have a looksee.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #25 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Erm, how can this get a 100 when there's no 7.1 and the film got 4 out of 5?

Looks like a good film, maybe even into reference regions, but not 100.....

Anyway, I'll have to go get me a copy and have a looksee.

Seggers

Greetings,

seggers, 7.1 channels is not a prerequisite for technical evaluation good or bad. The film's rating has no effect on its techincal merits. I am curious as to how you can comment so emphatically on the quality of a disc you haven't seen?

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I got to see this Thursday on Blu-ray and was amazed. This may be the best animated film I have seen on Blu-ray yet, but all of them have been very good.

It's not animated(well part of it is... the only part of the movie that's actually original). And as far as it being a good film, well Wall-E trounces it.

Horton Hears a Who should be about the same picture wise. Its sound can't match the Panda's though.

I liked the mix on Panda when I saw it, but 100? I guess that's a good reason for me to watch it again. I'm out the door to buy it right now.
How awesome does the escape sound? That was my favorite part, stuff flies everywhere it goes from silent to roaring loud. It's so cool.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #27 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, this has convinced me to rent it today. 100%? Golly!

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #28 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I saw it at a drive -inn this summer and thought it lokked awesome. I knew Blu-ray wouldn't disappoint.This should really push pixar, though i am sure Wall*E will look astounding on blu-ray as well.
post #29 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I never intended to buy this movie on Blu-ray, but after Ralphs review I bought it today. All I can say is WOW! I only watched a little of it today and it looks fantastic, even on my 8 year old Pioneer Elite (ISF calibrated) CRT.
post #30 of 108 Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just watched it and agree with the perfect ratings for audio/video. No, we're not talking MASTER AND COMMANDER type audio, what we are talking about is an audio sountrack that is so clear and has so much inner detail for an animated soundtrack. Some of the live action films have their own natural ambience. Animated has to construct everything from scratch, that's why I look at it's expectations differently.

I can find no fault with the video. Detail was there in every scene. So no anomolies. A perfect video transfer so far as I could tell.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Kung Fu Panda Bd Live Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Kung by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page