WALL-E (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 124 Old 12-05-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
GF and I watched this last night. PQ was top-notch, but story-wise, not the best for Pixar. Definitely worth a watch though.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 124 Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm playing WALL-E right now on a PS3 using optical audio, and I'm having a minor issue.

At the beginning of the movie, right after the Pixar studio logo goes off the screen, the audio briefly cuts out. It goes from DTS 6.1 to 2-channel, letting me know that it's receiving no audio signal for a brief second. It's a similar thing to when a DVD or Blu-ray is changing titles. Only this time, it's all one title.

The audio comes back immediately once the first shot of the movie appears (the starfield). Unfortunately, since my receiver has to switch back to DTS 6.1, the word "Out" in "Out there......" is cut off. Does anyone else have this problem?
post #93 of 124 Old 12-08-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Saw this over the weekend and loved it! Thought this was much more fun than Kungfu Panda. PQ and AQ was excellent. One thing that I notice time and time again between Pixar and Dreamworks is that Pix films are always technically superior by couple generations compared to other studios. Shading, textures, details and expressions are all much more realistic than the simple look that Dreamworks studios produce.
post #94 of 124 Old 12-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone having issues with the test patterns in the Maximize your home theater setup option??

The brightness, contrast, and gama test patterns only come on the screen for like 2 seconds and will not stay there...I have tried pause and still the pattern dissapears after 2 seconds.

I am using a PS3 via HDMI.
post #95 of 124 Old 12-16-2008, 06:02 AM

Liked: 12
Hey guys does this movie has spanish dub or subtitles in the film or is on the extras only??
post #96 of 124 Old 12-16-2008, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I watched this last night. OMG, what a film!

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #97 of 124 Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM

Sorry in advance if these are brain-dead questions - am still trying to get the hang of Blu-Ray (although some may seem to be more tech specific, all questions arise from using Wall*E BD):

- Are either bookmarks or resume play supposed to work with the blu-ray version? (using Panny BD-35)

- When powering on the player with the Wall*E disk in, Is there a way to bypass/abort the initial processes (takes much longer than other disks to get to the scene selection IMO):
- language select
- warning
- previews
- more previews...

- When watching the preview of UP, the motion of the baloons isn't as smooth as I would have thought...is this an issue with the animation itself or a symptom of my player/tv configuration (TH-50PZ80U).

Cheers,

-lajaro
post #98 of 124 Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Is anyone as PISSED as I am about the false advertisement for the 3 Disc special edition "PLUS" digital copy?! Did anyone not catch this?? Every other bluray I have is 2 disc 'plus' digital copy" (Total 3 discs), or Disc "plus" digital copy (Total 2 discs). Not counting the digital copy as a disc. To name some examples that I can think of are... TDK 2 Disc SE Plus digital copy(Total 3 discs), Hancock unrated edition plus digital copy (Total 2 discs), ect. There are a lot of others that play on words and say 2 disc "with" digital copy (Total 2 discs, or Digital copy special edition (Total 2 discs). No other that I can see say 2 disc "plus" digital copy and only have 2 discs. They even made the box wider for 3 discs, WHY? The Dark Knight, and others I'm sure, fit 3 discs in a standard sized case whats the extra room for, the only reason I can see is that there would be, hmm..., a 4th Disc.
post #99 of 124 Old 12-27-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajaro View Post

Sorry in advance if these are brain-dead questions - am still trying to get the hang of Blu-Ray (although some may seem to be more tech specific, all questions arise from using Wall*E BD):

- Are either bookmarks or resume play supposed to work with the blu-ray version? (using Panny BD-35)

- When powering on the player with the Wall*E disk in, Is there a way to bypass/abort the initial processes (takes much longer than other disks to get to the scene selection IMO):
- language select
- warning
- previews
- more previews...

- When watching the preview of UP, the motion of the baloons isn't as smooth as I would have thought...is this an issue with the animation itself or a symptom of my player/tv configuration (TH-50PZ80U).

Cheers,

-lajaro

I wonder if your remote has the skip[>>], does it? I have the BD30 and I was able to advance avoiding viewing all those reviews and getting to the set-up quicker
post #100 of 124 Old 12-30-2008, 01:32 PM

I'm surprised this didn't get a 100 score like Kung Fu Panda. Oh well, the movie is still very much entertaining as Kung Fu Panda. I watched it in the theaters and is gonna watch it again in blu ray. I couldn't get enough of it, the movie is too good to be watched just once.
Fans of Pixar should definitely must get this. ^_^
post #101 of 124 Old 01-14-2009, 03:55 PM

I know the search button is my friend but I am on my second copy of this but am having problems at the beginning of the movie on my Samsung 1500. Has anyone else had problems? I have the newest firmware upgrade. The audio goes in and out and I get minor skipping.
post #102 of 124 Old 01-14-2009, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Same here. Using a Onkyo 885/BD30 combo. Funny thing is both Rattle and Hum through my A-35 and X-Men 3 both bitstream the 6.1 DTS tracks (6.1 DTS-MA for X3) just fine to the 885. This is the only disc I have had this happen with. Not a big deal though as the PS3 is picking up the 6.1 DTS-MA and decoding and sending as PCM 7.1 (for some reason). It is puzzling though.......

I'm also seeing the same thing for my Onkyo 805/Panny BD-35 combo. I don't get it.
post #103 of 124 Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpoz View Post

I know the search button is my friend but I am on my second copy of this but am having problems at the beginning of the movie on my Samsung 1500. Has anyone else had problems? I have the newest firmware upgrade. The audio goes in and out and I get minor skipping.

PS3 here and yes i get 1 skip at the start, poor authoring?
post #104 of 124 Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 AM

Liked: 16
I have no issues on my Denon DVD-1800BD, HDMI to Denon AVR4308.

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
post #105 of 124 Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The earth scenes were just too boosted on contrast with such a narrow color pallet that it isn't all that pleasing to watch. I know that's the intent, to show how bad earth will be if you don't take care of it, but it was distracting to the point that I'm distracted from the action.

Inside the Axiom Starliner is beautiful. Typical fantastic Pixar.

Great story. The look of the humans is a little over the top, and doesn't fit in with the precision of the rest of the movie. They just look like balloons with no definition. I think they could have chosen a slightly different look, and still made the same point.

PQ - 4.25 out of 5. Movie - 4 out of 5.

DAn
post #106 of 124 Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 346
My 3 year old watches this all the time. I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen it now - but I still greatly enjoy the multiple opportunities for my sub to really shine. Something fun about watching a movie at home that can make your whole house rumble.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #107 of 124 Old 01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm going to be the party-pooper here but I didn't care very much for this movie . As I expected, the PQ/AQ was phenomenal but I just didn't enjoy the story at all.

For whatever reason, I enjoyed KF Panda so much more than this. Oh well, Wall-E definitely makes for a good demo for non-BR friends.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #108 of 124 Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 AM

This movie is absolutely fantastic and a must own. I'm suprised nobody really touches on the fact that this is a love story. Yes there is action and adventure mixed in with it, but it starts out a love story, and ends as a love story. Everything else is just filler, with a little bit of a message about humans lethargic nature and progressing technology doing the work for us.

I'm the type of dude that loves action movies. I love cheesy Arnold 80's flicks. I love Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill... Point being, this movie has a lot of action but the romantic stuff is done right. The ending absolutely kills me. I don't want to give any of it away... but it absolutely kills me. It's a great movie.
post #109 of 124 Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

I guess I'm going to be the party-pooper here but I didn't care very much for this movie . As I expected, the PQ/AQ was phenomenal but I just didn't enjoy the story at all.

For whatever reason, I enjoyed KF Panda so much more than this. Oh well, Wall-E definitely makes for a good demo for non-BR friends.

Mike T

Both great films. I have to admit there were times with Wall E in certain scenes I nearly fell asleep.

Frank
post #110 of 124 Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

I'm also seeing the same thing for my Onkyo 805/Panny BD-35 combo. I don't get it.

Another member confirmed in the software section that this disc is actually 5.1 MA flagged with ES Matrix which results in 6.1 when the ES Matrix algorithm is applied.

Some PS3 users report that if you only enable a maximum 5.1 PCM that the PS3 reports this title as 5.1 dts-HD MA, but if 7.1 PCM is enabled then it reports the title as 6.1 dts-HD MA. But other true discrete 6.1 dts-HD MA titles are shown to be 6.1 on the PS3 regardless of the PS3 PCM channel setup.

The box is correct. It is 5.1 MA it is just the Onkyo decoder is not reading the dts extension flags when decoding MA.

My other 6.1 dts-HD MA title, X-Men3, which is truely discrete is properly decoded as 6.1 when bitstreamed from the BD35 to my 805.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the authoring of the title, it is just the disc was authored with a rare channel configuration, ES Matrix, for lossless audio tracks.

post #111 of 124 Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

I'm playing WALL-E right now on a PS3 using optical audio, and I'm having a minor issue.

At the beginning of the movie, right after the Pixar studio logo goes off the screen, the audio briefly cuts out. It goes from DTS 6.1 to 2-channel, letting me know that it's receiving no audio signal for a brief second. It's a similar thing to when a DVD or Blu-ray is changing titles. Only this time, it's all one title.

The audio comes back immediately once the first shot of the movie appears (the starfield). Unfortunately, since my receiver has to switch back to DTS 6.1, the word "Out" in "Out there......" is cut off. Does anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem with the word OUT missing also at the opening of Wall E. I am using a Pioneer 51F and a Denon 2808 receiver. Your post suggests the problem is the receiver behavior.
How do I get arround this issue??

Any further findings on this issue would be helpful to me.
I have 2 days to return the 51f to Best buy if the 51f is the bad guy here.

Thanks
KT
post #112 of 124 Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I do get the "out" but it is a little clipped at the front.

PS3 feeding an Onkyo 805 via 1.3 certified HDMI cables.

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #113 of 124 Old 02-19-2009, 03:29 AM

PS3 -> Onkyo tx-sr606
Sound Settings is set to Linear-PCM

No such sound skipping occurs during the PIXAR title to "Out there..."
Pressing select on the PS3 controller shows that the sound signal remains a rock solid DTS-HD.

As with all my other Blurays, The Onkyo displays the signal coming from the PS3 as PCM (which makes sense since all the PS3 does is takes a BD sound signal and sends out as lossless PCM)
post #114 of 124 Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 AM

HI there.
I use a PS3 as my player and I just got the Wall-E 2 BD set.
One thing I did notice is when i try to go the HomeTheater Calibration menus, I am having a difficulty with the contrast/brightness/gamma sections.

The PS3 briefly displays the calibration image in all these sections then switches immediately to the next.

How do I get it to stop on the image so i can attempt to calibrate? Or is it not possible due to the PS3 or a defect in the BluRay?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
post #115 of 124 Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 PM

I rewatch Wall-E on blu-ray several times already.
This is one of my very favorite animation film from Disney.
Just look at the entire team behind this amazing production!

This is pure magic in the true sense. I am amaze at what directors of animation
can come up now. The present and future is indeed very refreshing and entertaining.
Quality of this blu-ray is a master piece, a precious jewel.

I am so impressed by Pixar, and so happy to see real true artists showing their
incredible and imaginative talents.
Thumbs way up to these innovative people at Pixar.
post #116 of 124 Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM

Hello,
For some reason on all the disney blu rays in the opening disney hype preview and in the very first seconds of the movie where there is black space I see blu fuzz. After that the movies run fine, but I wonder why the blu fuzz in the beginning. I wonder if it a problem with the PS3 or the discs? Anyone having similar problems?
post #117 of 124 Old 05-24-2009, 03:24 PM

This is the first animation I've seen since I got high-def/blu-ray equipment that I can recommend. It's a marvel of engineering, as they all are, but this one also made me laugh and want to watch the movie all the way through.
post #118 of 124 Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWaverly View Post

This is the first animation I've seen since I got high-def/blu-ray equipment that I can recommend. It's a marvel of engineering, as they all are, but this one also made me laugh and want to watch the movie all the way through.

i agree, it's absolutely brilliant and breathtaking!
post #119 of 124 Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 PM

freaking awesome movie!!
post #120 of 124 Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
This is my favorite animation movie ever. Always gives me goosebumps and tears.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disneys Wall E Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disneys by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page