WALL-E (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 124 Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, this is my first Blu-ray movie on my spanking new pioneer 51fd (BB discount) through an Onkyo TX-SR575 receiver for 5.1 sound (digital audio connection) and a Vizio 720p 32" TV (via hdmi)

I like Wall-e a lot, but what I was looking for was difference in PQ from ordinary DVD. Perhaps I'm limited by the small TV, but I did not see all that much difference from an ordinary DVD played on the pioneer. About the only thing that looked better was the subtle pattern of reflections in Eva's glossy white shell.

I did notice a great difference in playing ordinary DVD on the pioneer (better blacks) , but that is more of an up-scaler issue than a blu ray issue.

Not sure if it is an appropriate question here, since this is a wall-e topic, but do any of you see all that much difference in a DVD played on a good blu ray player, and the same movie in blu ray on the same player?

Is there something I'm missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 Old 08-01-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgepds View Post

Well, this is my first Blu-ray movie on my spanking new pioneer 51fd (BB discount) through an Onkyo TX-SR575 receiver for 5.1 sound (digital audio connection) and a Vizio 720p 32" TV (via hdmi)

I like Wall-e a lot, but what I was looking for was difference in PQ from ordinary DVD. Perhaps I'm limited by the small TV, but I did not see all that much difference from an ordinary DVD played on the pioneer. About the only thing that looked better was the subtle pattern of reflections in Eva's glossy white shell.

I did notice a great difference in playing ordinary DVD on the pioneer (better blacks) , but that is more of an up-scaler issue than a blu ray issue.

Not sure if it is an appropriate question here, since this is a wall-e topic, but do any of you see all that much difference in a DVD played on a good blu ray player, and the same movie in blu ray on the same player?

Is there something I'm missing here?

What you're seeing is the direction's artistic choice to create anamorphic shots where the backgrounds are out of focus. There is a difference between "blurry" and compressed. This is not the best example of comparing the DVD to the Blu-ray, but it should suffice IMO. The colors are distinct and well-varied, and this movie just looks beautiful.

Look at the shot when WALL-E crushes Hal (the cockroach) and bends down to watch him regroup himself. The detail on the cockroach is amazing! My point is, you're getting that detail the entire time whether the shot is allowing you to perceive it or not. You are getting crystal clear high-definition, but you're not focusing on how the director chose to show his backgrounds.
post #123 of 124 Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

What you're seeing is the direction's artistic choice to create anamorphic shots where the backgrounds are out of focus. ...My point is, you're getting that detail the entire time whether the shot is allowing you to perceive it or not. You are getting crystal clear high-definition, but you're not focusing on how the director chose to show his backgrounds.

I did notice that ( "what's this out of focus in a digitally generated shot?"). I'll check for the cockroach shot.

What movie would you recommend to see the difference.

I'm not saying there is no difference in PQ between SD and HD, the difference between NTSC and ATSC transmissions will show anyone that. But.. part of the difference in OTA transmission is the extra noise that's suppressed in the digital transmission. In the case of the difference between DVD and BR-DVD, noise does not play a role, only definition.

From ordinary viewing distances, (my sofa) on ordinary HD displays (my 32" 720p tv) there just does not seem to be all that much of a jump in quality.

Perhaps this is a videophile thing, and you need to really pay close attention to see any difference at all.
post #124 of 124 Old 08-03-2009, 12:46 AM

Liked: 16
If you are more than about 4' from your tv, your eyes are the limiting factor, not the media. The difference is huge on a larger display at a proper distance.

You still get the benefit of less compression noise and larger colour gamut and better audio, though.

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Disneys Wall E Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Disneys by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page