The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 70 Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got to finally watch this tonight and Wow, this movie sucked!!! I can't believe how dull it was. I was fighting sleep all the way. While the first Narnia film was an engaging film, this one is detached all the way through.

While I can criticize the film, I can't criticize the video. Honestly, I think this is the prettiest disc picture that's been on my BD player. While this picture seems to be more de-saturated than the original film, still the colors popped and gave that 3-d that we enthusiast like. This film was also sharp all the way through. No moments of softness nor did I notice any anomolies such as digital noise, shimmering or banding. All in all an amazing picture and probably the best non-animated disc i've seen.

As for the audio, it's very clear and distinct, the quality is excellent though if you are a fan of bass you may be a bit underwhelmed. The dialogue was excellent and I enjoyed the mix of the Gregson-Williams score. The mix is a bit more subtle than most Hollywood films but nonetheless a good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I practically slept through this movie. Plot was very non engrossing. Some of the secenery and landscapes were very nice, but few and far between.

Story: 3 out of 5. PQ, 3.5-4.0 out of 5 SQ, 4 out of 5.

Dan
post #63 of 70 Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just watched the blu ray last nite, and I did not find the LFE as impressive as Ralph myself....its there, don't get me wrong....but not as hot as I thought it might be...

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
post #64 of 70 Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

The Forum (including this thread) is all about opinions, and so you are surely entitled to give yours. Having said that, I enjoyed the movie....that's my opinion!

Like the old adage says, "Different strokes for different folks."

I agree 100% Wife and I liked it all. I enjoyed the movie and Potts gave it a 99 and I have no argument at all with the rating.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
post #65 of 70 Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Was watching this at work the other day on a Samsung set up. TV = LN40A650, HTiB = HT-AS720ST, Blu-Ray Player = BD-P1500.

The blu-ray player is mediocre and the HTiB is decent (alot for the money). But man, that blu-ray looks AMAZING. Plus, the movie is pretty damn good itself. It is certainly worth a watch if you ask me.
post #66 of 70 Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelviscerator View Post

Just watched the blu ray last nite, and I did not find the LFE as impressive as Ralph myself....its there, don't get me wrong....but not as hot as I thought it might be...

Even the LFE in the final battle? I thought the LFE was a bit ho-hum up until the final battle, but that entire last battle my subs came roaring to life! I would actualy use that whole last battle as demo material if I owned the disc.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #67 of 70 Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

Ralph,

It may well be grain and I won't get into all that To my eyes, on my system, it looks noisy, esp compared to other titles in my collection (Incredible Hulk for instance). I am quite certain it is not an issue with my display or anything in the signal chain. But I am watching on a 16' wide screen and that highlites everything, the good and the bad. If it is intentional (as in grain) then this is a non-issue. I will definitely watch it again with a more critical eye. Thanks for revisiting the title.

Chris White

Dear Ralph, Chris, and others, just wanted to say that I too saw the video noise on two of the dark scenes of the movie. It was like macroblocking to my eyes. I've only seen it twice in the whole movie which indeed looks amazing!
My setup is a Panny BD-10A with latest firmware and Panny Plasma 50 inches full HD.

Regards,
Hebs

Hebs
post #68 of 70 Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Has anybody got the BD Live to work on disc 1? when I select the option, it says something like, "BD Live is not available at your location"

Do you know what that Means?

Thanks,
post #69 of 70 Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Even the LFE in the final battle? I thought the LFE was a bit ho-hum up until the final battle, but that entire last battle my subs came roaring to life! I would actualy use that whole last battle as demo material if I owned the disc.

I agree, the LFE got better in the end. It still didn't blow me away, but I was watching with my sister who doesn't enjoy listening super loud, so I was probably about -10 from reference. I'll need to try it again around -5 or reference and see what I think then. Overall great audio/video though, and the movie was very enjoyable as well.
post #70 of 70 Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I finally saw this BD earlier today, more or less by accident. I put in my blockbuster queue many weeks ago and never bothered to move it to the top. Finally, it reached a high enough place that BB shipped it to me on Monday and I got it yesterday. Wow, I'm glad I did!

This may be the demonstration disc of demonstration discs. Ralph's award of a 100 for the incredible DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack was spot on, I have never heard its like. Every aspect of the soundtrack, from its audible dialog to its earthshaking LFE could, literally, not have been better.

The video was almost as good as the audio, although in this day of the 1080p BD incredibly beautiful video is becoming so commonplace that even a picture as incredibly beautiful as this second installment of The Chronicles of Narnia makes less of an impression than it might.

If I saw the first Narnia movie, I remember nothing about it. Thus, contrary to my expectations, the current installment blew me away. It was exciting, well acted, and fast moving, despite its 150 minutes length. Add to that its truly incredible video and audio and it turned out to be great entertainment. Highly recommended.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Chronicles Of Narnia Prince Caspian Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Chronicles by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page