Studio and Year: ABC Studios/Disney - 2008
MPAA Rating: TV-14
Feature running time: 604 Minutes
Genre: TV Drama/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): 5.1 English uncompressed PCM 5.1, English/French/ Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Dolby 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Naveen Andrews, Terry O’Quinn, Josh Holloway, Yunjin Kim, Daniel Dae Kim, Henry Ian Cusick, Elizabeth Mitchell, Harold Perrineau
Directed by: Various
Music by: Michael Giacchino
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 9, 2008

"Everything happens for a reason"

Film Synopsis:

Immerse yourself in the boldest show on television with every mysterious twist and turn of Lost's addictive Fourth Season. Exploding with excitement and never-before-seen extras, Lost reaches new heights on DVD. More than three months after their fateful crash, the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 will discover that the only thing more dangerous than the island might be the people who have come to rescue them.

My Take:

I would imagine it must be tough to try and keep a running series about a group of stranded people on an island feeling fresh. In the case of LOST is must be especially tough because of the nature of the island and its “inhabitants”. We watched the series religiously well into season three but felt that it was starting to feel disjointed and spread too thin. I have to admit that I found Season four to be quite good. The flash forward concept is a great idea and added a new element and perspective to the characters. The “others” objective is better stated as are further details about the island. The internal struggle between the Oceanic survivors, the remaining questions about the “others” and the real intentions of the rescuing “freighter folk” keep the series moving and make this one of the best seasons of LOST yet. All 14 episodes are spread out over four BD-50 dual layered Blu-ray discs with an additional BD-50 containing the bonus supplements which are all offered in high definition. For those who have not seen the show you needn’t worry, there is a segment on disc one called “Lost in 8:15” that gives a quick but intuitive visual/descriptive overview of the entire show in eight minutes and fifteen seconds beginning with season 1. I highly recommend watching it even if you have seen most or all of the series because it provides some insightful information that you may have missed.

Parental Guide:

The rating is appropriate as the show contains violence, thematic material and some sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Lost: The complete fourth season comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 mbps and lossless uncompressed 5.1 PCM audio that has a constant bitrate of 4.6 mbps.

I was happy with the quality of this video presentation as it looked reminiscent of what the show looked like when it was broadcast in high definition. I always thought it looked very good for cable TV in high definition. Colors are visually stimulating with deeply saturated hues that easily convey the lush jungles, coastline vistas and landscapes on the island. Skin tones are beautifully rendered with excellent tonal quality, lifelike texture and diverse complexional highlights. Images are crisp with defining detail, stable sharpness and two dimensional perspective that enhances long range camera shots. Blacks are strong with good delineation and shadow detail offers visible gradational depth in dark backgrounds and low lighting. A few of the darker sequences looked a little noisy but it wasn’t quantifiable or problematic. I applaud Disney for their continued use of lossless sound on their Blu-ray disc releases. In this case the uncompressed multi-channel sound quality was laudable. This isn’t an overly aggressive mix but it features dynamic highlights that benefited from the ability to discern the higher resolution present in the recording. Dialogue was rich in clarity and descriptive vocal expression that varied among the differing cast members. Surround activity seemed appropriate in that it created a good sense of spatial envelopment during exterior sequences as well as extending the front channel’s to enhance both music and panning/directional sound effects. Low frequency detail wasn’t room shaking however its presence was detectable and helped to elevate dynamic impact. The overall balance of the surround mix was excellent and it mated quite well with the feel of the show.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Lost on location: 8 segments – interviews, behind the scenes footage

• (HD) The island back lot: LOST in Hawaii - Docmentary

• (HD) The right to bear arms – Featurette on the weapons used in the show

• (HD) Soundtrack of survival: Composing for character, conflict, and crash – The symphonic premiere of composer Michael Giacchino’s music for LOST – 26 minutes

• (HD) LOST bloopers

• (HD) 9 deleted scenes

• (HD) The Oceanic Six: A conspiracy of lies – Staged underground video documentary that questions the survivors of Oceanic flight 815

• (HD) The freighter folk – 12 minute featurette on the background of the characters

• (HD) LOST: Missing pieces (mobisodes) – 13 segments

• Audio commentary (Disc 4) – “There’s no place like home” episode – with Producer’s Damon Lindel and Carlton Cuse

Blu-ray Disc Exclusive:

• Disney’s Seasonplay

• (HD) Course of the future: The definitive interactive flash forwards – includes a test of your knowledge of LOST, script pages, insider information and more

Final Thoughts:

Lost has a pretty large fan following and it is easy to see why. There is no other show currently on the air like it. It manages to keep interest high with excellent writing and a solid core of strong regular characters portrayed by actors who play well to their strengths and weaknesses. Disney/Buena Vista has put together a great package for season four’s release on high definition Blu-ray disc. Technically it looks and sounds great and the bonus content is simply a fans delight. Obviously if you are a devotee of this show then this set is a must have. However, even if you have never seen it the well executed “LOST in 8:15” feature will bring you up to speed and allow you to jump right into the show. Recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the great review, as usual.

Although it was a really good season, I'm on the fence about buying due to the abbreviated episode total vs. the price. Still, good to know that if I do buy, I'm getting something that was as good as the season 3 blu-ray set, A/V-wise.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I expect this to look better than when it was broadcast, because ABC broadcasts in 720p, and this is presented in 1080p. That was the case for the Season 3 bD set: it looked superior to the original broadcast.

LOST is intriguing, and I'm glad ABC and the writers/producers of this show agreed on the number of seasons/episodes the show will have. It needs definitive closure.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I expect this to look better than when it was broadcast, because ABC broadcasts in 720p, and this is presented in 1080p. That was the case for the Season 3 bD set: it looked superior to the original broadcast.

LOST is intriguing, and I'm glad ABC and the writers/producers of this show agreed on the number of seasons/episodes the show will have. It needs definitive closure.

Greetings,

It does look better. My comments were relative to its overall quality. Depending on the size of your display (or how far you sit from it) the difference going from 720p to 1080p may not be as vast as you think.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the great review. This is one of my highly anticipated releases! Love LOST, can't wait.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

People tend to focus on the difference between 720p and 1080p, but to me the greatest benefit of BD is the fact that the video is stored and can be transmitted at 24 progressive frames per second. If you have a TV capable of displaying the 24 frames in proper order without duplication (such at Pioneer Elite at 72 hz), then there is absolutely NO judder discernable in the image from 3/2 frame rate conversion to 60 hz.

ABC broadcasts its 720p signal at 60 hz with 3/2 conversion already built-in. It's possible some displays would catch the 24p original source and activate a 48/72/120 hz mode, but not as certain as it will with Blu-Ray.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Lkr
AVS Special Member

Even if my TV is only 720p, I assume this looks sharper? I know my local ABC is lower than 23mbps
post #8 of 13 Old 12-03-2008, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought for sure Lost would get a video rating of around 90, but an 86 still sounds good. I am a huge fan of the show and in my personal opinion this is one of the best looking shows in HD that there is currently. It looks way better than some of the other ABC shows in high definition such as Desperate Housewives.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I personally didn't see any flaws in the presentation in either the audio or the video. The sound design is much more engaging than your typical TV show, and the video is jaw-dropping.

Also...the show's pretty damn good too

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #10 of 13 Old 12-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Liked: 12
My sense was that the biggest advantage BD should offer over broadcast TV was not resolution per se, but the bitrate, as in less compressed. I agree with Ralph though that Lost has always looked remarkably good on TV.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 PM

I have to say this. I'm a big fan of the show and received the fourth season on release day. The video quality is as good, if not better, than last season's blu-ray release. But I do have a problem with the audio. The uncompressed track, IMO, is lacking the punch and aural surround experience of not only the last season's release, but this season's run on broadcast television. I'm really kind of disappointed to find so much of the ambient sounds coming through the center channel. That's one of the only weaknesses with this set, but it's a pretty significant one. The other disappointment is the small number of episodes with commentary with the only interesting ones being The Constant (which I'm really happy about) and the season finale.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

I would imagine it must be tough to try and keep a running series about a group of stranded people on an island feeling fresh. In the case of LOST is must be especially tough because of the nature of the island and its “inhabitants”. We watched the series religiously well into season three but felt that it was starting to feel disjointed and spread too thin. I have to admit that I found Season four to be quite good.

Season Three started out with several very weak episodes in a row, IMO, but its last four or five were a huge payoff for those who remained faithful (as I was thinking about jumping ship). And a much stronger Season Four certainly redeemed this series for me.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #13 of 13 Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I've read an article about someone who watched the first couple of episodes of Season 5 and she said they were outstanding. Only a couple weeks more!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page