Feature running time: 104 Minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese
Starring: David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Amanda Peet, Billy Connolly, Alvin “Xzibit” Joiner
Directed by: Chris Carter
Music by: Mark Snow
Written by: Frank Spotnitz & Chris Carter
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 2, 2008

"Believe again"

Film Synopsis:

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson re-team to unravel a bizarre case right out of The X-Files. In the blink of an eye, amidst a bone-chilling cold and an eerily deceptive calm, FBI agent Monica Bannan is mysteriously abducted. But this is not ordinary kidnapping. And not only does the search for the missing woman ignite sparks between partners Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny), it defies the boundaries of science, the supernatural and the terrifying spaces in between!

My Take:

Picking up six years after the series ended, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are reunited after leaving their careers at the F.B.I. behind them. Forgotten by their former employer that ignored their unique investigations, the duo is called upon once again after the abduction of an FBI Agent. The FBI is utilizing the services of a psychic (Connolly) and Special Agent in charge Whitney (Peet) decides to elicit the aid of Mulder because of his successful track record when using psychics during investigations. She contacts Scully, who is a doctor/surgeon now, and asks for her help in locating the reclusive and bitter Mulder. She approaches him and he is agrees only if she will come along. They accompany the FBI to meet up with the psychic who appears to Scully to have dubious intentions based upon his checkered past. Clues slowly begin to unravel the case and the team races against the clock as the hope of finding the missing agent alive are dwindling. Scully and Mulder are at odds over the credibility of the psychic and the fact that Scully no longer wants to be a part of the life in the FBI that brings them face to face with “the dark”. She has her own battle going on as she has a young patient who is dying from a rare brain disorder which she believes can be reversed with radical stem cell therapy. The administrators at the hospital don’t share her belief and she struggles with the politics and self doubt of using such a radical and painful solution that may not work. There is a common denominator that ties together this case, the psychic, and the disappearance of the FBI Agent. As the case unfolds events transpire to reveal what is occurring and the outcome will test Scully’s faith, Mulder’s belief in the paranormal, and determine the fates of those involved when the truth is discovered in this rather bizarre case.

I was sort of an on and off again watcher of the X-Files when it was on TV but I was never a true fan. I liked the premise and the characters but lost interest for whatever reason. I hadn’t seen either of the movies prior to this review. I thought that this film was okay and it was very reminiscent of the TV series. Mulder and Scully seemed to pick up where they left off without missing a beat. I am an Amanda Peet fan and any chance I get to see her onscreen is fine with me. She was her usual steely self as the confident and determined Special Agent Whitney. The problem I saw was that the story wasn’t clearly focused. There were several subplots that kind of sort of connected with the main plotline but in the end the connection was never really established which was disappointing. I didn’t feel that it dragged and interest was easily maintained over the course of the film. I think that it represents a nice visit to these characters and the feel of the original show which is something that true fans will appreciate.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violent and disturbing content and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

The X-Files – I want to believe comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps. This was excellent overall presentation that featured consistently resolute images with appreciable fine detail in close ups and mid level camera shots. The video had a filmic quality with stable sharpness that provided discernible texture and good dimensional depth. Grain was intact and appeared well preserved in even layers with fine visible structure. Blacks were rich with excellent depth that was enhanced when onscreen with mixed content. The nighttime panning shots of the city skyline looked superb as the deep black of the sky and silhouetted buildings stood out in contrast to the colors and bright lights that traversed the cityscape. Contrast was excellent which provided whites and grays with ample detail and good gradational highlights. Color balance appeared spot on which left them natural looking with perhaps the slightest hint of over saturation in blue. I thought this worked as it really brought the beautiful ice blue of Amanda Peet’s and Gillian Anderson’s eyes. Detail in low lighting and dark area’s was strong. The film uses lots of dark sequences and its ability to render them with good depth of field is essential. The foot pursuit sequence that goes into the construction site is a good example. The staggered lighting and quick camera pans didn’t detract from the ability to discern visible structure within the dark walls, ceilings and stairwells in the building.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack delivered supremely focused dialogue that offered definitive vocal description and deep room penetration. Dynamics had potent resolve and defining energy that brought out the potential in the recording’s elements. This was highlighted by Mark Snow’s music score which sounded excellent. The entire sound platform was used to reproduce the airy, subtle and sometimes powerfully orchestrated music. The bass drum’s driving force was reproduced with palpably rich, low frequency emphasis that occasionally filled the room. The front three channels competently handled the majority of the soundtrack’s audio. Channel separation was excellent which gave the presentation nice balance and broad depth. The surrounds had very good near field presence and provided enriching ambient/directional envelopment when is use. This mix was well done and certainly enhanced the film’s experience.

Bonus Features:

• (HD)/(SD) In Movie Features: Accessible during film playback by pressing one of colored buttons on Blu-ray player remote – Includes Bonusview PiP track, behind the scenes making of clips and storyboard/concept art

• Audio commentary by Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz

• (HD) “Dying to live” by Xzibit – set to still productions photos

• The X-Files complete timeline

• Still galleries

• (HD) Trailers – Domestic and International

• (HD) Interactive feature: Agent Dakota Whitney files – examine five complete case files

• Bonusview PiP by Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz – Requires BD Profile 1.1 Blu-ray player

• (HD) 5 Deleted scenes

• (HD) Gag reel

• Trust no one: Can the X-Files remain a secret? – Three part feature totaling nearly 1.5 hours in length

• Chris Carter: Statement on green production

• Body parts: special makeup effects

• D-Box motion code

• BD-Live – *See below*

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc – Contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

*Marking the Studio’s first foray into BD-Live, The X-Files: I Want To Believe BD release takes full advantage of the high-def format’s “web-enhanced” functionality with exclusive features, games, additional content and connectivity to other BD-Live users and X-Files fans nationwide. “The X-Files Dossier” allows BD-Live connected users to create their own Special Agent avatar that can browse through Agent Dakota Whitney’s case files on clairvoyance and post their own notes and theories to her files online and download other profiles directly to their BD player memory files; plus fans can become an agent-in-training by helping Agent Drummy solve several forensic challenges (with new cases posted weekly to the studio supported BD-Live web portal for the first several weeks of release).*

Final Thoughts:

The X-Files is one of the most popular TV shows of all time and has a rather large fan base to prove it. The series ran for 9 seasons and The X-Files – I want to believe represents its second trip to the big screen. I thought that this film definitely had the appeal and feel of the TV series but that the story felt a bit too spread out. That didn’t keep me from enjoying it and I imagine that fans will as well. Fox has upped the ante with its debut on high definition Blu-ray Disc. Audio/video quality is excellent, it is loaded with fan alluring special features and Blu-ray disc exclusive content that extended beyond the film, and the included Digital Copy Bonus Disc allows users to take the movie on the go. This release represents Fox’s first foray into Blu-ray Disc Live and their implementation looks to be quite interesting. I could not connect to their BD-Live server however I believe it will be operational very soon. I assume that an update will be required prior to access. Recommended for fans and as a rental for those who are curious.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This is a great looking and sounding disc and a good purchase for anyone that is an X-files fan.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Great review Ralph, thanks. I was a casual fan of the tv series and liked the first X-Files movie. Looking forward to this one as soon as I can get ahold of it off BB or Netflix.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

This is a great looking and sounding disc and a good purchase for anyone that is an X-files fan.

No its not, i'm a big X fan and the movie sucked ass, its not even a good TV episode !
post #5 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

No its not, i'm a big X fan and the movie sucked ass, its not even a good TV episode !

We all have our opinions. I felt that the story and execution was faithful to the orignal TV series.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

+1 Unfortunately, i am a huge x files fan who owns every episode on DVD and really hated this movie. The payoff/conclusion was atrocious and boring not to mention the scenes with Scully in the hospital were rife with barf inducing soap opera setinmentality. What a disappointment this movie was.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 01:49 PM

I dl'd the movie to check it out after mixed reviews, and glad I did. This movie was so bad that I stopped watching it halfway through and proceeded to go upstairs and delete it from my server....lol....yes, it was that bad...I will never buy this movie regardless of the transfer quality!!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
i also was a big fan of the series and saw this in the theater, I thought it was ok. But when i saw it at home I really liked it much more. sound and video were great. I do hope there will be a third.

My sono build

Psn Id- lvisneau or lvizzzy
Xbl- chief vizzy

post #9 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Perfect score for the movie. It wasn't bad drama...it just wasn't anything memorable at all. I watched this last week and have no urge to watch it again.

Blu-ray = 775
post #10 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I had some of the same concerns about the content of the movie on my first viewing but repeated viewings revealed to me a finely crafted film that fits perfectly in the X-files universe. I do think it has the hint of a script that was probably written and shelved from around the time of the series was on television.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 PM

Good review Ralph it’s about right fair and square.

Well I saw this in the finest ultimate THX sound system cinema of the world, England’s very own Empire Leicester Square. The loudness was wickedly dynamic and brutal despite not one single gunshot being fired nor any explosions like in the first one (1998).

The film opened to the deep rumble of “Amazing Life” (THX) followed by a very short Dolby cinema trailer as it was digital presentation. Being sat right at the very front and dead centre was pucker cool the image the largest THX screen in the UK was an eye opener from the snowy white opening with FBI agents picking though the snow and ice was crisp and detailed in image and sound, helicopter moved over the front and off-screen.

Same deal with the region 2 DVD in the home as well as clearly focused anchored dialogue. Vehicle sound effects of the bad guys track pans nicely along the sidewall surrounds give a good three-dimension. The sub bass channel 20KW peak had some deep, deep, deep lows in the Empire that vibrated the seat. Chapter 15 has Mulder and Whiney chase (Janke Dacyshyn - 2nd Abductor) then shoves Whiney off top floor building that is under construction.

The whoosh of mild air movement has she falls backwards with a deep disturbing LFE.1, that races towards you, has she gets nearer to the ground her sidearm pistol hitting the concrete base floor centre and bouncing off towards left sidewall surround arrays, is very realistic before impaling onto steel rods, yuck!

I seem to remember saying to an user when leaving Empire 1 I’d give it a 4 ½ or something like that. My perspective of the film has changed somewhat since then. I’ve given it a few viewings. I can’t tell what is film and what is Genesis as the makers used Super35mm and few (Genesis Panavision) shots for the night time shots.

post #12 of 20 Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Yeah... my sony 15 started to flutter right before she hit the ground
post #13 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcoaster View Post

I dl'd the movie to check it out after mixed reviews, and glad I did. This movie was so bad that I stopped watching it halfway through and proceeded to go upstairs and delete it from my server....lol....yes, it was that bad...I will never buy this movie regardless of the transfer quality!!

I too thought it was so bad that I stopped watching halfway through. Utterly worthless, IMO. Why return after so many years to tell this story?
post #14 of 20 Old 12-09-2008, 06:45 AM

I agree that while the film looked and sounded amazing the content left a lot to be desired (in my opinion). I felt that after 6 years since the TV show ended this movie should have dealt with all the questions that are still present regarding Mulder and Scully's work. This movie seemed to be just a random episode. I almost feel like they took some generic thriller, changed a few pages of script and slapped the x-files title on it.

Spoiler alert...

At 30 minutes into the movie, when Mulder and Scully wake up in bed together, I thought my player jumped and skipped a chapter! Did they just hook up? Had they been together since the end of the X-Files with Scully working at a hospital and Mulder staying locked in solitude with only Scully...?? or did the romance just get instantly re-kindled once she saw him again...??
post #15 of 20 Old 12-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

I watched it last night. I agree with Ralph and others on the look and feel of a tv episode. Picture and sound were very good. I enjoyed it but it could have been much better story wise-needed aliens of some sort. jj, I also was a bit confused on that part. It was worth the rental charge, but I don't think i will buy.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-13-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj.pod@verizon.n View Post

I agree that while the film looked and sounded amazing the content left a lot to be desired (in my opinion). I felt that after 6 years since the TV show ended this movie should have dealt with all the questions that are still present regarding Mulder and Scully's work. This movie seemed to be just a random episode. I almost feel like they took some generic thriller, changed a few pages of script and slapped the x-files title on it.

Agreed. This slop was all Carter could come up with out of 9 seasons of Xfiles?
Lets take alook at what they did with Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. After only what 3 season? they came up with one of the best sequels to a TV episode ever!
Then theres Firefly with only two seasons? came up with Serenity and although not as good a sequel as Khan it was heads above "I Want to Believe".
I want to Believe i did not pay to see this at the cinema.
I want to Believe Carter had something to do with the original series but after this...
I want to Believe the whole bed scene was not just thrown in there after they realized how awful the movie was, believe me there is no chemistry between the two in that scene.
I want to Believe Ralph will have the "Event Horizon" review up soon
post #17 of 20 Old 12-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

As an aside, does anyone think there's a chance that the X-Files television series will ever end up remastered on Blu-Ray? If I remember correctly, some of the later seasons at the very least were presented in widescreen.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure there was a box set a couple of years back that was 16:9 (Ratio opened to 1.78:1 or 1.85:1).
post #19 of 20 Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 PM

It was a sorry effort for such a beloved series. I am a huge fan and have the box set and barbie dolls (yes I said barbie dolls) to prove it. It looks and sounds fine but the story is on par with some of the series weakest episodes and that is unacceptable for the fans who waited through years of development hell. IMO the film was neither creepy nor entertaining and sadly will not go into my collection until it's really cheap.

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #20 of 20 Old 12-29-2008, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the review and comments. Was looking to see if this film was worth getting, but I'll just stick to the series instead.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page