Studio and Year: Paramount - 1995
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 97 Minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French 2.0
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Chris Farley, David Spade, Brian Dennehy, Bo Derek, Julie Warner, Dan Aykroyd
Directed by: Peter Segal
Music by: David Newman
Written by: Bonnie Turner & Terry Turner
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 16, 2008

"Son of a!"

Film Synopsis:

The boys are back and they're bigger than ever in the gut busting, all-new Holy Schnike Edition! Crack-up comedians Chris Farley and David Spade star as two ne'er-do-well traveling salesmen who hit the road in order to save the family business in this larger than life comedy. Co-starring Rob Lowe, Bo Derek, Dan Akroyd and Brian Dennehy.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=126738&d=1229201020

I will forego any breakdown of the film as I would expect that most who are reading this have seen Tommy Boy by now. Chris Farley was one of those people who had an infectious laugh that once you heard it you couldn't help but laugh as well. His knack for physical comedy and larger than life persona made him a standout. He is a favorite among Saturday Night Live fans and his memory lives on in many classic episodes of the late night live comedy show. Coneheads (the movie) is a personal favorite mine and his performance is one of the reasons why. was a perfect vehicle for Farley and really allowed him to showcase his talent. Pairing him with David Spade was a great move as the two have incredible chemistry. It's funny but having not seen this movie in a number of years left me feeling like I couldn't remember what I liked about it. In watching it again it came back to me. The gags aren't necessarily original and the dialogue, while okay, doesn't bowl you over. What makes Tommy Boy funny is Chris Farley. His delivery, expression, and physicality is what makes the other aspects shine. The gags and story are contrived in scope but that's okay because Chris is just a crack up. His burley stature and seemingly whimsical way are what makes him unique and elevates something rather simple to something that is funny. His premature death was a shame and cut short a comedic career with lots of potential. Luckily his legacy lives on in his work and we as fans can continue to enjoy it again and again. This is an entertaining film that seems to have withstood the test of time and is still lots of fun. Enjoy!

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sex related humor, some drug content and nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 72

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=126739&d=1229201020

Tommy Boy comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.4 mbps.

Tommy Boy on Blu-ray Disc comes framed in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio and features image quality that clearly as step above any if its previous home video releases. It falls short of the razor sharp, highly detailed, and vibrant quality of the better catalog release titles we have seen from the format. Its high definition video quality is on the soft side and rarely offers three dimensional depth or sparking clarity. Some scenes look better than others with some looking only marginally better than standard definition. I also noticed speckles and debris on the print that was usually visible on light backgrounds. During the film's dark segments I saw some light background noise in a handful of shots. It didn't appear to be the result of bit starvation but could have been compression related. Blacks were fairly deep but were gradationally starved which left them looking rather flat. Colors were warm and tonally balanced with clean rendering and average depth that didnt make them discerning. I watched this film right after Super Troopers and my notes were almost identical with respect to the quality of the soundtrack. Here are my comments from that review as they also apply here:

The soundtrack delivers clear dialogue and punchy dynamics that a wrapped in a presentation that is essentially front channel oriented. Surround activity is limited to light ambience and occasional discrete sounds that rarely feel immersive. This film doesn't necessitate an overly active surround mix. I found that this was more than adequate and sounded fine.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by Director Peter Segal

• Tommy Boy: Behind the laughter - featurette

• Stories from the side of the road - featurette

• Just the two of us - featurette

• Growing up Farley - featurette

• Storyboard comparisons

• Additional scenes - 5 deleted, 15 extended, 6 alternate takes

• Gag reel

• Photo gallery

• 19 TV spots

• (HD) Theatrical trailer
attachment.php?attachmentid=126740&d=1229201020

Final Thoughts:

Tommy Boy is a comedy that has achieved classic status among Chris Farley fans. It represents him at his best and is a light hearted and funny movie that is easy to recommend. Its high definition debut from Paramount isn't their strongest catalog release but it represents the best that it has looked on home video and it includes the complete bonus supplement package from the 2005 DVD release. If you have never seen Tommy Boy this Blu-ray disc is a nice introduction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2008, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks, Ralph.
That hood-popping scene makes me laugh every dang time, even when I know it's coming. Looks like a nice, post-Christmas purchase for me.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #3 of 7 Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Ouch! A 72 only? I want this one, but not so sure now.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Ouch! A 72 only? I want this one, but not so sure now.

72? This is a classic! Even if the special features aren't all that, the movie itself is worth it.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozandeffect View Post

72? This is a classic! Even if the special features aren't all that, the movie itself is worth it.

I love the movie, its just that the video score is so low. It is an upgrade over the standard def DVD, but I am still debating about getting this one. Its one of my favorite comedy movies though and its probably a must have.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-16-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I love the movie, its just that the video score is so low. It is an upgrade over the standard def DVD, but I am still debating about getting this one. Its one of my favorite comedy movies though and its probably a must have.

Greetings,

Matt, if it's one of your favorites I would pick it up. Picture quality isn't terrible and it clearly looks better than the DVD.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Matt, if it's one of your favorites I would pick it up. Picture quality isn't terrible and it clearly looks better than the DVD.

Cheers,

Thanks Ralph. I will definitely get this and perhaps get Dumb and Dumber as well. That is also another one of my favorite comedies.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews