Studio and Year: Paramount - 1997
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 95 Minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English, Enbglish SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathless Quinlan, Richard T. Jones, Joely Richardson, Jason Issacs,
Directed by: Paul Anderson
Music by: Michael Kamen
Written by: Philip Eisner
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 30, 2008

"Infinte space - Infinite terror"

Film Synopsis:

Its name: EVENT HORIZON. The high-tech, pioneering research spacecraft mysteriously vanished, without a trace, on its maiden voyage seven years earlier. But a weak, persistent signal form the long-missing craft prompts a rescue team, headed by the intrepid Captain Miller (Laurence Fishburne), to wing its way through the galaxy on a bold rescue mission. Accompanying Miller is his elite crew and the lost ship's designer (Sam Neill); their mission is to find and salvage the state-of-the-art interstellar horror. Back to electrify-and terrify-is EVENT HORIZON, now as a two-disc Special Collection DVD that contains never-before-seen special features, including a five-part documentary on the making of this unforgettable motion picture. Kathleen Quinlan and Joely Richardson also star in this gripping sci-fi thriller.

My Take:

Horror film's that leave you thinking about them after you have stopped watching usually are the type that are doing something right. For me Event Horizon is one of those films. It is a creepy sci-fi horror flick that I find disturbing yet pretty entertaining. I like the sci-fi/horror spin and unlike some other films in the genre I don't find that it tries too hard to be either a horror or sci-fi movie. There is a fair amount of horror based jump scare elements and the technical and futuristic aspects of the ship itself is more than enough to satisfy the science fiction feel. The use of audio and visual stimulus to elicit audience reaction is executed well in my opinion. The premise is probably the weak link as very little is made clear about exactly what happened to the ship and how it ultimately ended up back after 7 years in the abyss of space. There is enough to allow you to understand that what it encountered was as evil as evil can be. Character development is good for the most part as you do feel a connection to them. The pacing is spot on and it pretty much feels like a 95 minute high speed train ride that begins practically right from the start. Casting is strong and everyone seems well suited to their characters with no one in particular being a stand out. I have been a fan since seeing Event Horizon on cable TV a number of years ago. I subsequently picked up the Special Edition DVD that was released in 2006 and have watched it several times since. Like most fans I was excited when I heard it was coming to Blu-ray Disc. Keeping reading to see my impressions of its audio/video quality.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, gore, language, and brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Event Horizon comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.2 mbps.

I was impressed with the quality of this high definition presentation as it looked better than expected. Blacks aren't inky but they are stable, deep and gradational. The dark and shadowy confines of the ship looked great. The level of detail visible in the various interior sequences enabled the texture of surfaces and the instrumentation on equipment panels to be discernible even in low lighting. The faces, hair and clothing of the crew was notably detailed and razor sharp at times. Complexions were realistically depicted with natural tonality and defining subtle character. The images of space had excellent contrast, visual depth, and clean color rendition. Some of the visual effects left the video looking a little soft in places and occasionally some of the dark backgrounds highlighted grain making them appear noisy but fidelity rarely suffered.

The lossless multi-channel audio presentation didn't quite keep pace with the video but was clearly an improvement over the lossy Dolby Digital on the DVD. Overall sound quality was crisper with better defined acoustic presence and improved dynamic range. Dialogue was the weak link as it sounded on the thin side and at times was overshadowed by the other sounds emanating from the front and center channels. I also noticed a distinct reduction in volume at the 46:40 mark during the scene when a scuffle breaks out between two members of the crew. This threw off the balance of the audio briefly and was pretty apparent. Detail and clarity especially in the rendering of sound effects was very good to excellent. This was evident during the scene where Peters (Quinlan) is alone in the med lab and begins to hear strange noises. As the camera's perspective changes the sounds move around the room. The scratching sound coming from the nylon tent sounded incredibly lifelike. The eerie, creepy, and diminutive background sounds present in the soundtrack were reproduced with aplomb. Later on after Justin disappears she is chased from the lab to the bridge by something that begins to pound on the hatch door. The sounds of the buckling metal and its reverberant backlash sounded great. Dynamics were potent and low frequency detail was extended, tight, occasionally room filling and not overly stated which can sometimes make it too prominent. Overall I was very pleased with this presentation as a whole as I feel it improved upon what was already a very decent soundtrack.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by Director Paul Anderson and Producer Jerry Bult

• The point of no return: The filming of Event Horizon w/optional Director Commentary:

1. The revolving corridor - featurette
  2. The crew gathers - featurette
  3. Shooting wire work - featurette
  4. The dark inside - featurette

• The making of Event Horizon:

1. Into the jaws of darkness - featurette
  2. The body of the beast - featurette
  3. Liberate tuteme ex infernis - featurette
  4. The scale to hell - featurette
  5. The womb of fear - featurette

• Secrets - Deleted and extended scenes w/optional commentary

• The unseen Event Horizon - The un-filmed rescue scene and conceptual art w/optional commentary

• Trailers - Theatrical (HD) and Video

Final Thoughts:

Event Horizon is a good sci-fi/horror movie that has somewhat of a cult following and is one of the better films in the genre. Its story isn't the most well rounded and as it progresses each aspect isn't clearly defined but it succeeds where it needs to and is a movie that has good replay value. I am happy to report that Paramount has brought it to Blu-ray Disc looking and sounding better than ever and has included all of the bonus features from the 2006 special edition DVD release. This is an easy recommendation for fans of the film and the genre.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is one blu-movie I will be picking up. It never fails to make me jump. Not a great movie by any means, but definitely a guilty pleasure. Any movie that makes my wife jump into my lap, gets a thumbs up from me. Thanks again Ralph, for taking the time to review the film.
post #3 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

knowing this flick is on blu-ray makes my day!
a definite buy.

now if only the 'robinson crusoe on mars' blu-ray from criterion would come out.
post #4 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSSVA View Post

This is one blu-movie I will be picking up. It never fails to make me jump. Not a great movie by any means, but definitely a guilty pleasure. Any movie that makes my wife jump into my lap, gets a thumbs up from me. Thanks again Ralph, for taking the time to review the film.

I also view it as a guilty pleasure. Definitely worth buying!
post #5 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I'm in for this one. Director Paul Anderson's films can be a little uneven but he pushes all the right buttons in this alternating creepy and funny film. I especially enjoy the line from Fishburne (Captain Miller) after viewing the grisly death video on the ship's monitor - deadpan expression - "We're leaving."

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Great stuff, thanks Ralph.
post #7 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I saw this movie opening night and was shocked at how effective the scary parts are. It sounds like a very good Blu-ray from the review.
post #8 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 05:51 PM

Liked: 12
I've loved Event Horizon since I saw it at the cinema. Definitely in my top 10 Sci-Fi movies of all time. I was a little unsure as to whether I wanted to upgrade to Blu Ray seeing as the R2 DVD is one of the better looking DVD's in my collection but now it's coming I'm probably gonna get it.

"JUSTIN!!!!!!"
post #9 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Could have been much better.. The mother and her crippled son part did nothing for me, & was a general downer in terms of the adrenaline rush sequences.. & the whole Justin thing, samething.. The total darkness, and mama bear came off as cheesy & lame.. Change those 2, with their personal demons with a very hellish twist like the Captains & the DRs, & it would have been better.. The end was very predictable.. Although, Sam neill & Fishburne were excellent.. & the black space mechanic was good comedy relief & very likable.. How about you? You would like something hot & black inside you?

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #10 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Must have can't wait.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #11 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Ralph, have you seen the dvd with the DTS track?? I thought the sd dvd DTS track was reference.
post #12 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM

I think it was The Omen meets The Shinning meets Alien! Saw this twice in Dolby SR-D in a really slightly underwhelming cinema that pushed the speakers too far or at least one of them the sub bass crackled nastily on the second viewing several days later. The cinema was only using a single JBL 4645for medium large cinema and that wasn’t enough for the ABC screen 1 Westover road, Bournemouth.

The sub eventually was knackered I mean really buggered up and every film afterwards roughly around 1999 just popped and crackled all the time with no oomph nothing because the projectionist was real Muppet and should have know better than that, rather then raising the Dolby remote fader above mark “7” Dolby 85db.

I’ve got but one ticket in my folder not sure where the second ticket is??

Date 28/08/1998
Time 6:30pm
Price £3.00

The moment where Dr. William Weir played by (Sam Neill, Jurassic Park) looks hypnotized as he stares deeply at the rotating ball that powers the ships hyper drive. The rumble that’s being produced by the discrete subwoofer track LFE.1 must have been overlooked slightly for it to crackly badly. So watch the level on the LFE.1 on this one not sure if the specifications might be on this version? I know there’s a special edition DVD that’s been out a few years now, I might buy it, but something says no, double dipping, well I might if I see it going for less then £6.00.

The opening has lots and lots of ridiculous rumble over the LCR and then the LFE.1 steps in to add an extra low end support. Michael Kamen sounds trilling as the “Lewis and Clark” approaches the “Event Horizon” with the ship heading for a collision and the score with DEEP SLAM tympani WHAM! The forward thrusters firing to slow the rate of approach and bring the “Lewis and Clark” to stand still, wicked, in the home!

Merry Christmas
post #13 of 54 Old 12-18-2008, 11:43 PM

Pulled out the region 2 DVD and gave a re-watch for the (I lost count how many times now)I like chapter 5 as the Lewis and Clark gets nearer and nearer.

One thing I’ve noticed as this is the first time I’ve viewed the film since installing the DCX2496 last year was the level of loudness, I’ve purposely trimmed the crossover (LP 200Hz Bessel -12db) for this film thank goodness for the DCX2496 to allow to make what ever alteration for playback smoothness! as the amount of low end over the LCR is too much. The sub bass extension for LCRS provides a nice smoothness at 19 minutes 34 seconds as the “L&C” is nose to nose with the “EH” the slam of the score on the left and right nice cinematic slam!

Note: slight slam on the score with the surrounds at 19 minutes 34 seconds. I’m going to go over this one again just for sound fun.

Thrusters is produced on LCR at slight different levels LFE.1 is in mute mode at the time so don’t get too carried away expect LFE.1 all the time the LCR fronts have plenty as they are the most active channels in the film.

The surround levels on this first edition are very low level in the mix not sure of the bluray or the special edition DVD have been altered? There are a few moments where inside the ship “EH” objects that are floating in Zero-G move or have eerie sound effects that follow the objects no logical? But it is an interesting effect
post #14 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 AM

Chapter 9 38 minutes 01 to 02 seconds)has neat creepy sound effect that moves from screen right centre and left like an (unzipping sniffing) then tacks along the sidewall arrays of surrounds eerie.

Note: the surrounds have deep low ships engine sound rumble, or ambience effect.

Told you’ve watched this film too many times LOL.

With the arrays of JBL control 1 (x3 left and right) with (x4 on rear wall) monopoles spaced out at 4 feet per surround and while walking around the room the sound is perfect from the very front to the middle or the very back part of the room, surround means that speakers must be placed along the walls to encompass your head, not a single surround otherwise the effect is dull and lifeless, now then.

I’m not using the centre back surround mode for this one as most of the music is monaurally recorded for the surround mix except the sound effects.

The (unzipping sniffing) comes in again this time on the surround from left to right and the pans over RCL in that order at 38 minutes 12 to 14 seconds, yes it does make you look around LOL.
post #15 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 12:36 AM

I like the last part of chapter 13 “Ok, Dr Weir”. as (Laurence Fishburn) Captain Miller, takes the rivet gun from the locker. “You don’t wanna leave your ship”? The locking clicking mechanism nice cool I like that feel on the centre channel. “You never well”. (71 minutes 54 to 55 seconds).
post #16 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 AM

End credits has music by Prodigy “Funky sh!t” that is played over screen left and right with very mild surround playback. There is odd low end, on the centre channel no midrange instrumental as this covered be left and right front. I’’ check it out in jiffy with spectrumlab to see what frequency is playing on the centre, chances are most of you wouldn’t hear it. chapter17 (87 minutes 26 seconds - 4 minutes 32 minutes).
post #17 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 AM

Hmm the low on the centre seems to be centred within 50Hz region but at low level against the left and right that is playing stronger at about 54Hz same with the centre that wavers off down to around 40Hz but very mild and traces of it move up though the 70Hz and thinning out within the 100Hz region.
post #18 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 AM

Took a look at chapter 8 (37 minutes 35 seconds) which is where the rotating sphere cuts in on the LFE.1 and fades out at (37 minutes 38 seconds) what the level it reaches down to down 12Hz and up to about 82Hz.
post #19 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Lmao, i thought i was a big EH fan....boy was i wrong
post #20 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
It was all downhill for Anderson after this film. Rez Evil was better than SOLIDER, yes, but come on. This guy is just a hack. All of the talent he showed us in EH must have been a fluke showing.

By the way, this film's erie opening is really effective.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #21 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This movie was a blatant rip-off of "Sphere" by Michael Crichton. I'm surprised they got away with re-using the story. They basically just changed the setting from underwater to outer-space. The Event Horizon movie though was actually a lot better than "Sphere" the movie.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #22 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Too bad Andersson didn´t make Alien VS Predator this good.

Also it´s too bad we probably won´t see the longer cut of this movie.
There was a lot more brutal scenes about what happened to the crew of the Event Horizon. But I guess they might have gone way too far in those scenes that they couldn´t use them
post #23 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 AM

I'm okay with amount of gore in the existing cut. Especially since we can view it in slow-mo. Showing less is more effective, IMO. It implies that it's too awful to look at for very long.

It's a strangely compelling movie. Intense, creepy, alternately beautiful and disgusting visually. One of my favorites. I wish the BD was available sooner.
post #24 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

This movie was a blatant rip-off of "Sphere" by Michael Crichton. I'm surprised they got away with re-using the story. They basically just changed the setting from underwater to outer-space. The Event Horizon movie though was actually a lot better than "Sphere" the movie.

Do not mention Sphere, please. Like the characters in that movie, I wish my memory of it could be erased. Awful, awful film.
post #25 of 54 Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post

Too bad Andersson didn´t make Alien VS Predator this good.

Also it´s too bad we probably won´t see the longer cut of this movie.
There was a lot more brutal scenes about what happened to the crew of the Event Horizon. But I guess they might have gone way too far in those scenes that they couldn´t use them

The movie needs it to show the terror that awaits them in hell. A lot more brutal? If pulling out a guys heart through his mouth, or a zombie sticking his fist into a pregnant womans stomach, eating the fetus, is dvd worhy, I'm skeptical about the brutal lost scenes... Want brutal? See Zombie.

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #26 of 54 Old 12-20-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Do not mention Sphere, please. Like the characters in that movie, I wish my memory of it could be erased. Awful, awful film.

I rather enjoyed it for the story picture and sound and performances I first brought it on laserdisc and then later on region 2 DVD so I can playback six-track Dolby stereo discrete. I'll have to give that a re-spin like the artiness of the six-track mix on the matching LCR well cool.
post #27 of 54 Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

I think it was The Omen meets The Shinning meets Alien!

The "Shinning"....?

post #28 of 54 Old 12-20-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I have both films but don't see the 'blatant' elements you mention. Can you list them out for comparison?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #29 of 54 Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

i liked this film and this was at a time startrek was on top and paramount decided to do a sc-fi horror flick 360 degrees different then trek.
i will get this on bd
post #30 of 54 Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

The "Shinning"....?

"All work and no beer makes Homer something something"
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags