Starring: Jim Carrey, Laura Linney, Ed Harris, Noah Emmerich. Natascha McElhone
Directed by: Peter Weir
Music by: Burkhard Dallwitz
Written by: Andrew Niccol
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 30, 2008

"The world is watching"

Film Synopsis:

He's the star of the show--but he doesn't know. Jim Carrey wowed critics and audiences alike as unwitting Truman Burbank in this marvel of a movie from director Peter Weir (Witness, Dead Poets Society) about a man whose life is a nonstop TV show. Truman doesn't realize that his quaint hometown is a giant studio set run by a visionary producer/director/creator (Ed Harris), that folks living and working there are Hollywood actors, that even his incessantly bubbly wife is a contract player. Gradually, Truman gets wise. And what he does about his discovery will have you laughing, crying and cheering like few film stories ever have.

My Take:

I have liked Jim Carrey since his days on In Living Color and even remember him from a film from the mid eighties called Once Bitten with Lauren Hutton. Admittedly I can't say that I am a die hard fan because sometimes I find his comedic crazy man routine tiresome. On the other hand I have yet to see him in a dramatic role where I didn't like him. The Truman show was my first experience seeing him in that light and it has been one of my favorites ever since. This is a well written and fresh conceptual film that features great dialogue, smart direction, and solid casting. I love the cinematography, camera work and the integration of the characters as the story develops. I find Laura Linney not only to be a fine actress but very attractive as well. She was perfectly cast as the bubbly, annoying, faux wife to Truman. One of my favorite scenes is when Meryl makes every attempt to remain composed and in character as Truman takes her on the infamous car ride out of town. Ed Harris being the consistently fine actor that he is was wonderful as Christof which is evidenced by his Golden Globe win and Oscar nomination for his portrayal. A few familiar faces in the crowd included notables such as Philip Baker Hall, Paul Giamatti, Holland Taylor, and Peter Krause. At 102 minutes the film seems perfectly paced and flows quite well. The burning question about how it's going to end? is answered succinctly and appropriately which was apropos in my opinion. The Truman Show is an interesting film that examines our societal desire to view the lives of others from a fly on the wall perspective. To a large degree we have seen this develop on a lesser level with the advent of reality television. Regardless of any implied meaning The Truman Show is an entertaining film that offers food for thought and interesting discussion.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements and mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 76

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

The Truman Show comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps.

I watched this film numerous times on DVD and quite honestly was never impressed with how it looked. In watching it in high definition I see a significant improvement however it falls short of the standard set by other catalog release titles that I have reviewed of late. Resolution is good however fine rendering of detail is a mixed bag. Certain sequences appear well resolved with good depth and apparent sharpness while others appear less definitive and lacking in discernible small object detail. To my eyes it would appear that some digital noise reduction has been applied. Grain is present but lacks structural continuity. This was apparent in close ups as well as long range camera shots. The scene in chapter 15 when Truman and Marlon are talking uses rotating close ups of them both. The shots of Truman appear better detailed with visible facial stubble/pores etc. while Marlon's face looks smoother with discernibly less texture. I also saw obvious signs of print damage that came in the form of speckles (black and white), debris and lines. During chapter 14 when Meryl and Truman are arguing in the kitchen provides an example. Looking to the right of Meryl as she stands with her back to the counter there is a louvered shade or separator below the cabinets. There is quite a bit or print damage that shows up in the cabinet and louvered separator as well as being visible in her white uniform. Lastly, I occasionally saw some edge halos around objects that would be consistent with the application of artificial sharpening. I found it to be distracting in a hand full of shots but there were many where it didn't bother me. Colors were warm, well saturated and appreciably natural with beautifully rendered fleshtones. Contrast was punchy without intruding upon fidelity and blacks were deep but not as delineated as I would have liked.

The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack is a nice upgrade over the lossy Dolby Digital track on the DVD. The beautifully crafted score has better presence, smoother treble, and refined articulation. Dialogue is rich in clarity, prominently positioned within the soundstage, and offers excellent tonal depiction. As a dialogue driven film there isn't much call for an active surround sound mix however there are a few instances where the entire platform is used. One example is the storm at sea sequence in the finale. The sounds of the turbulent waters, thunder claps, music and the various creaking/blowing sails etc. sound effects of the boat as it is tossed about filled the room. Dynamics were solid and low frequency effects offered good quality impact and depth where applicable. This soundtrack has never sounded more open, detailed or expressive.

Bonus Features:

• How's it going to end?: The making of The Truman Show

• Faux finishing, the visual effects of The Truman Show

• 4 Deleted scenes

• Photo gallery

• (HD) Trailers - Theatrical & Teaser

• 2 TV Spots

Final Thoughts:

The Truman show is an interesting, thought provoking and well made movie that has become a favorite among film fans. Its announcement for release on high definition Blu-ray disc has fans excited. While it does offer a definite improvement in video quality over the standard definition release it doesn't offer images that are consistent with the best catalog release titles we have seen from the format. Its lossless Dolby TrueHD sound is quite good and distinguishes itself from lossy multi-channel surround mix on the previous DVD's. Paramount has included the bonus features from the 2005 Special Edition DVD which makes this a viable solution for fans considering an upgrade. Even with the issues mentioned this disc represents the best that I have ever seen The Truman Show look on home video. Whether or not it is worthy of a purchase/upgrade will be up to you. It has been added to my collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS1x 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Darn it, I really like this film. But, like you stated, it becomes a much trickier proposition when it's presentation isn't up to the standards we've come to expect, even for catalog titles.

I may pick it up anyway, since the DVD I own of the film is non-anamorphic...
post #3 of 16 Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I could never understand how in the hell anyone could possibly like this movie! 1000's of people living in a HUGE fake world surrounded by a HUGE bubble?!?! And this guy being born into it and being watched by people outside of this fake world every single second of his life!? The whole concept of this all is just so utterly rediculous!

WORST MOVIE EVER MADE!

Great review though as always Ralph. You're a highly respected individual in my mind.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #4 of 16 Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I could never understand how in the hell anyone could possibly like this movie! 1000's of people living in a HUGE fake world surrounded by a HUGE bubble?!?! And this guy being born into it and being watched by people outside of this fake world every single second of his life!? The whole concept of this all is just so utterly rediculous!

WORST MOVIE EVER MADE!

Great review though as always Ralph. You're a highly respected individual in my mind.

If EVERYONE a person ever met told them the world was flat, and everything was falsified to go along with those lies, the majority of people would come to accept it as truth.

If you have NO IDEA of the concept when you view the film, you don't even realize what's going on at first. It's a very cool effect to slowly have it dawn on you as the movie goes on. (As it happens to the character as well.)

And considering the proliferation of reality TV and the ever increasing reality VS entertainment lines being blurred, I still find the premise intriguing.

Is it completely realistic and likely? Well, duh, no. But like so many other films that fall into that majority, it didn't destroy my ability to enjoy the film.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The scene in Chapter fifteen sounds like a filming technique often used in movies where they will smooth over the women's face to hide imperfections. This was a camera technique often used in the classics of the 1940's and 1950's movies. It doesn't sound like digital noise reduction for that particular scene. Having said that i haven't seen it on Blu Ray and have only saw a widescreen television presentation and won't be buying it as i don't like the movie that much or reality tv for that matter so it's possible you are right.

The other film that came out at the same time with the same subject matter of reality tv was called Edtv and i found it funnier and more entertaining but that's just a matter of different tastes.

Have a nice Xmas Ralph and keep the reviews coming.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-23-2008, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

The scene in Chapter fifteen sounds like a filming technique often used in movies where they will smooth over the women's face to hide imperfections. This was a camera technique often used in the classics of the 1940's and 1950's movies. It doesn't sound like digital noise reduction for that particular scene. Having said that i haven't seen it on Blu Ray and have only saw a widescreen television presentation and won't be buying it as i don't like the movie that much or reality tv for that matter so it's possible you are right.

The other film that came out at the same time with the same subject matter of reality tv was called Edtv and i found it funnier and more entertaining but that's just a matter of different tastes.

Have a nice Xmas Ralph and keep the reviews coming.

Greetings,

M, you may very well be correct and that would seem to make sense when you take a look at Noah Emmerich up close (acne scars).

Happy Holidays to you as well!

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 16 Old 12-26-2008, 05:51 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

If EVERYONE a person ever met told them the world was flat, and everything was falsified to go along with those lies, the majority of people would come to accept it as truth.

If you have NO IDEA of the concept when you view the film, you don't even realize what's going on at first. It's a very cool effect to slowly have it dawn on you as the movie goes on. (As it happens to the character as well.)

And considering the proliferation of reality TV and the ever increasing reality VS entertainment lines being blurred, I still find the premise intriguing.

Is it completely realistic and likely? Well, duh, no. But like so many other films that fall into that majority, it didn't destroy my ability to enjoy the film.

Exactly, a bit like religion. When your born into a family that excercises it choice of religion than that person believes it to be the right of way.

Quote:

WORST MOVIE EVER MADE!

I loved this film and I throroughly enjoyed it. I loved the idea on how a group were trying to get to him to tell him its all a lie.

Frank

post #8 of 16 Old 12-26-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys can argue with me all you want on why I thought this movie was so bad. But it's just so completely unrealistic. When he finally got the hell out of that place at the end, all I could think of was "I sure hope like hell he sues the hell out of the producers of this show for locking him up and lying to him his whole life!"

Gimme a break... Just think, the tv show starts filming him when he was born. Continues to film his whole entire life for the next 30 or so years. How can anyone find this entertaining enough to make it a tv show? How can someone do this to someone legally to that individual? Was this individual at least finally reimbursed financially at the end of it all when he left? And even though people actually did find this guys life entertaining enough to watch it all these years. What if his life had really REALLY SUCKED? They built this huge fake world, and got all these 1000's of actors to live in it. And then to have no 1 actually end up watching the damn show? Talk about an undertaking no studio would possibly want to undertake.

I'm for all having an open mind to enjoy something, but the whole entire premise of this movie is so rediculous that it's a lost cause for me.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #9 of 16 Old 12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:

You guys can argue with me all you want on why I thought this movie was so bad. But it's just so completely unrealistic. When he finally got the hell out of that place at the end, all I could think of was "I sure hope like hell he sues the hell out of the producers of this show for locking him up and lying to him his whole life!"

Gimme a break... Just think, the tv show starts filming him when he was born. Continues to film his whole entire life for the next 30 or so years. How can anyone find this entertaining enough to make it a tv show? How can someone do this to someone legally to that individual? Was this individual at least finally reimbursed financially at the end of it all when he left? And even though people actually did find this guys life entertaining enough to watch it all these years. What if his life had really REALLY SUCKED? They built this huge fake world, and got all these 1000's of actors to live in it. And then to have no 1 actually end up watching the damn show? Talk about an undertaking no studio would possibly want to undertake.

I'm for all having an open mind to enjoy something, but the whole entire premise of this movie is so rediculous that it's a lost cause for me.

Firstly who is arguing with you? I came to visit this thread to see how the transfer is like, to see if it's worth the upgrade to BD. Your enititled to your opinion of the film, but in this particular thread? There are appropiate threads to voice your opnion of film of what you like and dislike.

Frank

post #10 of 16 Old 12-27-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Relax.........it's a "dark" comedy.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #11 of 16 Old 12-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:

So are alien robots coming to Earth and a random Joe Schmoe ending up with Megan Fox in Transformers.

I happen to think Transformers is a good movie...............even though it's not realistic.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Ralph,
I just wanted to point out that this title has significant geometric distortion in the encode. The whole thing is significantly horizontally stretched making people have flat/squashed heads and whatnot.

You can see some comparisons to the HDTV broadcast here, which is proven to be the correct geometric proportions (see the Paramount logo as an example at the bottom). The original 1.66:1 US DVD (OOP now) is correctly proportioned as well. The Blu-ray is stretched badly:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...68&postcount=1

Might want to note that in your review. Personally I'd drop the video by another 10 points simply for that glaring flaw.

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #13 of 16 Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat View Post

So are alien robots coming to Earth and a random Joe Schmoe ending up with Megan Fox in Transformers.

I happen to think Transformers is a good movie...............even though it's not realistic.

I thought it was a great movie as well. And it's not a realistic movie either. But last I checked, isn't it based off of a toy franchise?

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #14 of 16 Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

You guys can argue with me all you want on why I thought this movie was so bad. But it's just so completely unrealistic.

Sure it is unrealistic but what movies are except those animal documentaries. Is Godfather realistic? May Jason or Freddy Kurger are realistic?

If you look for realism, you are missing the point of this movie and movies in general.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post

Sure it is unrealistic but what movies are except those animal documentaries. Is Godfather realistic? May Jason or Freddy Kurger are realistic?

If you look for realism, you are missing the point of this movie and movies in general.

This is absolutely true,
even those LIVE shows,
they've got a script.
Or you might love those reality shows,
which some of them has planned to have Mr.A the winner
since the very start.

There's no realistic,
there is only trying to be real.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What if his life had really REALLY SUCKED? They built this huge fake world, and got all these 1000's of actors to live in it. And then to have no 1 actually end up watching the damn show? Talk about an undertaking no studio would possibly want to undertake.

The movie actually has scenes that address these issues.

The scene where he's six or seven on the beach was a perfect example. Truman is trying to explore beyond a pile of rocks on a beach and you can hear sounds of construction work happening in the background. It's easy to assume that as Truman grew, so did the production. It wasn't like they built this huge studio, hired all these actors, and then Truman was born and the project was underway. It took (presumably) over a decade or more to ramp the project up to the larger scale production. By then, a studio would know full well if it could support the financial burden of such a project.

And why would you think the producers of the show would have allowed his life to suck? He was basically protected from truly bad decision making.

It wouldn't be the first time a company spent untold millions building a fake world, hiring tons of actors and then have it turned upside down... Does anyone remember EuroDisney? :-P

Anyway...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page