Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2008
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 96 Minutes
Genre: Horror/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese/Thai Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Chinese, Portuguese, Thai, Korean, French, Spanish, Indonesian
Starring: Alyson Court, Kurt Mercier, Laura Bailey, Roger Craig Smith, Michelle Ruff
Directed by: Makoto Kamiya
Music by: Tetsuya Takahashi
Written by: Shotaro Suga
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 30, 2008

"The mayhem continues."

Film Synopsis:

A zombie attack brings chaos to Harvardville Airport. Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield who fought the sinister Umbrella Corporation during the Raccoon City tragedy 7 years ago, are back. In high-octane Resident Evil style, they're ready to battle a rogue warrior who is seeking revenge after his family was killed in Raccoon City. The deadly G-Virus is unleashed and a new mutated monster goes on the rampage. Will Claire and Leon be able to terminate the virus before history repeats itself?

My Take:

The Resident evil video game franchise from Capcom seems to be very popular and in fact has spawned a series of films that have done quite well in their own right. This is a feature length CG animated film that falls more in line with the current game universe than the previous three movies. Its story picks up seven years after the Raccoon City incident and centers around a group of characters who are caught in the middle of what appears to be another outbreak of the T-Virus that begins at a local airport. There is more to the story and the origin of the outbreak. Two of the games popular characters, Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield, are central figures in this installment. They are thrown together when Claire happens to be at the airport to meet someone when the outbreak occurs. Leon is sent to quell the situation and ascertain the outbreak's origin. He joins two SRT members and enters the airport in search of survivors and answers. While inside they stumble upon Claire, her friend's young niece, and Senator Ron Davis, all of whom were barricaded inside. They manage to escape and begin to regroup where they meet up with Frederic Downing a high ranking employee at WilPharma Pharmaceutical Corporation. It is learned that the outbreak may be the result of an extremist group lead by a man who it turns out is the brother of Angela Miller, one of the SRT officers. Claire accompanies Frederic Downing to their large facility in an attempt to locate a T-Virus vaccine. While there she learns of the existence of a molecular scale of the G-Virus. She phones Leon and Angela and advises them of the situation and that things aren't adding up at WilPharma. This discovery ignites a series of events that exposes the true nature of what occurred and who is behind it. The real question is will Claire, Leon and Angela live long enough to do something about it?

The story was underwhelming and in my opinion played out a bit too much like a video game to be turned into a feature length movie. At 96 minutes it was just too long.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for bloody violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Resident Evil: Degeneration comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2 mbps.

Looking at the animated style used in this film reminded me very much of Final Fantasy, the spirits within. Characters were drawn similarly and the application of color was much the same although I found colors here to be more pleasing in tonality. Images were well detailed with smooth but discernible texture and excellent depth. The small attention to detail such as the fluidity of hair blowing in the wind, or airborne ember particles floating around at the scene of a structure fire were reproduced with lucid realism. The color palette isn't diverse and sticks primarily to darker tones with neutral grays and blacks. When primary colors like red, blue or green are onscreen they pop quite nicely. Blacks are deep and well delineated. Contrast is boosted enough so that bright scenes and colors are punchy but not at the expense of robbing whites and grays of discernible detail. This presentation is free from compression related anomalies however I did notice the presence of aliasing/moiré. It's not obvious in every scene but if you look for it, it can be distracting. In chapter 15 during the battle at WilPharma Leon removes his jacket. It is pretty apparent on his shirt in that entire segment. Quite frankly I was surprised to find it in a presentation like this.

The Dolby TrueHD lossless soundtrack featured high level detail and crisp, well intonated dialogue that sounded excellent. I was impressed with the intricate detail that went into the sound effects featured in the film. The creaking of leather on gun belts, the sounds of the slide going forward and engaging on automatic pistols, or the crackling of burning timber were rendered with defining clarity and complexity. Dynamics were solid and low frequency impact offered appreciable tactility. There was plenty of action based elements which utilized the entire surround platform. The soundfield was actively engaging as it occasionally filled the room with a combination of both discrete and spatial sound effects. I thought it sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Interactive Bonusview PiP feature

• Pop up trivia track

• (HD) The generation of Degeneration

• Character profiles

• Voice bloopers

• Faux Leon interview

• (HD) Resident evil: Degeneration trailers

• (HD Resident evil 5: special footage

• (HD) BD Previews

• BD-Live - Access

Final Thoughts:

Having never played the Resident evil video game I have no frame of reference regarding the aspects of this story or its characters in relation to it. As a fan of the film franchise I thought comparatively speaking that this was a below average horror/action based story. Fans may feel differently. Sony has released it on Blu-ray disc day and date with the DVD and it features good high definition video/audio quality and above average bonus features that include some that are exclusive to Blu-ray. If your curious give it a rent but I wouldn't recommend a blind buy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This movie is more geared to appease video gamers. I enjoyed it a lot, considering my gaming background, but I would recommend this as a one-time rental.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

meh, Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within was actually a good watchable movie. This may be similar to the Dead Space movie...if it comes on cable TV, give it a watch.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Vhato, what was it about the movie that makes you recommend that it isn't worth a rental?
post #5 of 15 Old 12-24-2008, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw this at a store today. Must be out early, like everything else. Sale priced at $32.99.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjackson View Post

Vhato, what was it about the movie that makes you recommend that it isn't worth a rental?

Did I say that??? It is worth a rental. Sorry if I screwed up somewhere.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-26-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thanks Ralph. I will give it a miss.

Frank

post #8 of 15 Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 AM

This was an enjoyable film to me. Of course, I have an extensive gaming background playing this series on console.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-29-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight47 View Post

This was an enjoyable film to me. Of course, I have an extensive gaming background playing this series on console.

I agree. When I was a serious gamer, the Resident Evil series stood out as one of my best gaming experiences. Going into this movie with my "gamer mindset" made it very entertaining. It's certainly a lot better in my mind than the garbage live-action series.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 AM

Picked this up yesterday and enjoyed it. First half was definitely the highlight, and the finale was pretty good too. Middle section was a bit slow...

Audio was fantastic though, great use of the surround channels.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 11:34 AM

This review doesn't do this movie justice, it should be reviewed by a person who has played and has knowledge of the game franchise. Of course it wouldn't be enjoyed by someone who don't know squat about the franchise. It's like asking a math question to an english teacher.
I have nothing against the reviewer but atleast don't review something that is not up your genre. It gives a bad impression on those who are new to this movie and those core fans of the franchise.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbis View Post

This review doesn't do this movie justice, it should be reviewed by a person who has played and has knowledge of the game franchise. Of course it wouldn't be enjoyed by someone who don't know squat about the franchise. It's like asking a math question to an english teacher.
I have nothing against the reviewer but atleast don't review something that is not up your genre. It gives a bad impression on those who are new to this movie and those core fans of the franchise.

Greetings,

Having played the game shouldn't be a prerequisite to enjoyment of them film. Trying to find someone to handle the review who has a background in the game/franchise wouldn't be realistic under these circumstances.

I imagine those who are familiar with the game/franchise would be inclined to buy it regardless of my opinion of it and would more than likely be interested in its technical aspects. For me to opt not to review it because I have no background in the game/franchise would do those who are familiar with it who want to know what it looks and sounds like the same disservice.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #13 of 15 Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Having played the game shouldn't be a prerequisite to enjoyment of them film. Trying to find someone to handle the review who has a background in the game/franchise wouldn't be realistic under these circumstances.

I imagine those who are familiar with the game/franchise would be inclined to buy it regardless of my opinion of it and would more than likely be interested in its technical aspects. For me to opt not to review it because I have no background in the game/franchise would do those who are familiar with it who want to know what it looks and sounds like the same disservice.

Regards,

I agree. I would rather a "neutral" source review the movie.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't care for the movie either, luckily I rented it...I have played the game... I am an avid gamer but RE just never did it for me; however, my son really enjoyed the movie...he loves the game.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM

I love the RE series and this movie is quite enjoyable from that standpoint. Sadly it is only a renter IMHO and even though you don't necessarily need to know the background of the T-virus to watch the film it would certainly be beneficial. The people I viewed it with did not play the game nor did they like the film.

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Resident Evil Degeneration Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page