Feature running time: 101 Minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean
Starring: Vin Diesel, Michele Yeoh, Melanie Thierry, Charlotte Rampling, Mark Strong, Lambert Wilson, Gerard Depardieu
Directed by: Mathieu Kassovitz
Music by: Atli Ovarsson
Written by: Eric Bessnard & Mathieu Kassovitz
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 6, 2009

"In this future, religion has a whole new meaning"

Film Synopsis:

In the darkly futuristic world of Babylon A.D., the rules are simple: kill or be killed. Hard-hitting action superstar Vin Diesel (The Fast and the Furious, The Chronicles of Riddick), stars as Toorop, a ruthless mercenary hired to smuggle a mysterious young woman from the post-apocalyptic confines of Eastern Europe to the glittering megalopolis of New York City. Hunted at every turn, Toorop spirits his charge across a nightmarish wasteland only to uncover a shocking secret that will bring the entire world to its knees. Eye-popping action and mind-blowing science fiction clash head-on in this hard-edged thriller, where the only rule is survival.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=128677&d=1231250028

Personally speaking I find Vin Diesel's films to be entertaining but they do have to be taken on a case by case basis. He isn't much of an actor but he can certainly pull off action based movies with no problem. I had heard of Babylon A.D. when its trailer was included on a Fox Blu-ray title I had in for review. From the trailer it looked typical but interesting enough. The film is based on the novel Babylon babies by Maurice G. Dantec and is a future based science fiction story about a former smuggler/mercenary named Toorop (Diesel) that is hired to transport a young woman known only as Aurora (Thierry) from post-apocalyptic Russia to New York City. Aurora was raised in a convent located somewhere in Eastern Europe and she is accompanied by a nun named Sister Rebeka (Yeoh). Aurora hasn't been exposed to the outside world yet she can speak 19 different languages and has knowledge of things that she could never have learned growing up in a convent. She also seems to possess mysterious abilities that make her valuable to powerful entities that will stop at nothing to obtain her. This puts Toorop in a precarious position as he tries to deliver her to her destination 6,000 miles away.

The script for this film just had too many holes in the story to make it palatable. Aurora is an interesting character but she is never truly developed enough to make her plausible. Her abilities are not explained or fully realized which was disappointing because they seemed to have excellent potential. The attempts to explain her background later in the film felt like an incomplete thought. Sister Rebeka's background gets touched upon lightly but doesn't explain how she seems to be a high level black belt capable of taking on multiple adversaries and is also trained in the use of modern weaponry. There are two other central figures in the story, the high priestess and Gorsky (Rampling and Depardieu) who appear to be the ones behind the reason for Aurora being smuggled into NYC. The problem is that they aren't onscreen for longer than 5 minutes total nor is their connection clarified. Other characters are introduced but they come and go quickly. Toorop starts off as a payday grabbing, ruthless mercenary who seeks only to get the job done but later ends up sitting in a tent, smiling, drinking and having a personal moment with Aurora and Sister Rebeka that seemed totally out of character. The action based sequences were nothing new but were entertaining and the special effects were decent. For me this is a forgettable film that seems as though its elements were taken from a combination of other sci-fi based action films. The conglomeration just doesn't work as the story and its characters feel underdeveloped and watered down.

Parental Guide:

This film is unrated but contains sequences of action based violence, language, and some minor sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=128679&d=1231250038

Babylon A.D. comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

This video presentation has a filmic quality that doesn't lend itself to razor sharp images and has an apparent grain structure that at times is inconsistent in depth. There are several scenes where grain becomes heavier which gives it an uneven look that is distracting. The color palette isn't a diverse one and sticks mainly to sepia and de-saturated neutral tones that render a cooler appearance. Flesh tones are on the bland side but fit right in with the visual style of the video. Blacks are dynamic, inky and slightly crushed. There are several sequences such as the opening of the film where the deep, velvety blacks stand out and give those shots incredible depth. The film uses lots of low light interior and exterior scenes. Detail in backgrounds and staggered lighting was revealing of subtle delineation that was notable. Resolution was stable with appreciable fine rendering in close ups and less definitive long range visuals that offered two dimensional depth. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack offered extended dynamic range, aurally stimulating surround sound and potent low frequency effects. The sound field was broad with definable clarity and high level detail that reproduced dialogue and sound effects with excellent realism. The surround mix was aggressive at times and easily filled the room with deep, punctuated bass, and dazzling sound effects that bombarded the listening position. The fight sequence in NYC and the Alaskan drone chase sounded superb as the sounds of gunfire, rocket propelled grenades and a 30mm Gatling gun erupted with visceral impact. Panning effects were seamlessly integrated with excellent near field spacing and 360 degree envelopment. I was most impressed with the memory flashback sequence in the third act. This short segment utilized the entire system to dynamically charge the room with expansive surround sound that included short bursts of powerful, and engaging bass. I thought it sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Bonusview PiP feature - Interactive scene evolution (17 segments)

• (HD) Featurettes:

1. Babylon Babies - 11 minute documentary
  2. Arctic escape - 11 minute dissection of this stunt sequence
  3. Fit for the screen - 7 minute look at the stunts used in the film
  4. Flight of the Hummers - 8 minute breakdown of this chase scene

• (HD) Prequel to Babylon A.D.: Genesis of Aurora - 5 minute animated short

• Still galleries

• BD trailers - Stargate: Continuum, X-Files: I want to believe, The Happening

• (HD) Fox's Inside Look - Behind enemy lines: Colombia

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable playback device

• D-Box motion code compatible
attachment.php?attachmentid=128678&d=1231250028

Final Thoughts:

Babylon A.D. is a below average sci-fi action movie that is bested by the majority of the films that it seems to emulate. Vin Diesel is capable of better as this afforded him little in the way of originality. The remainder of the cast was quite good but again had little to work with. Its debut on high definition Blu-ray Disc from Fox is excellent and is highlighted by a near reference quality lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. The bonus features aren't comprehensive from a global production stand point but do offer a very good breakdown of the stunts and action based segments featured in the film. Those who enjoyed this movie will be happy with this Blu-ray Disc package. For those who may be curious you would be best served by giving this a rent first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player
Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Studio interference just killed this movie (and of course it was Fox - has any studio screwed up more movies or television than Fox in the last two decades?). I had hoped that the "raw and uncut" BD and DVD releases would incorporate all of the lost footage and fill in the blanks but apparently that isn't the case. The director was actually trashing the project before it was even released. It makes me think of the Alien 3 debacle between Fox and David Fincher.

If they ever release an "assembly cut" of Babylon A.D., maybe I'll come back and give the film a chance.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Liked: 17
100% agreed, Deviation.
post #4 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Fox can't seem to leave anything to the film makers.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The review seems right on and I have heard this is a terrible movie from the few people I know that I have seen it. They too said there was too many holes in the story and that nothing was ever explained very well. I will probably give this a rent at some point, but its not on the top of my list.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Studio interference just killed this movie (and of course it was Fox - has any studio screwed up more movies or television that Fox in the last two decades?). I had hoped that the "raw and uncut" BD and DVD releases would incorporate all of the lost footage and fill in the blanks but apparently that isn't the case. The director was actually trashing the project before it was even released....

Where did you hear about this? I'd like to read more on it....
post #7 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw the movie and thought it was ok.

But don't think this BR is collection worthy. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the review as always Ralph.

Cheers,
James
post #8 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks RALPH!
post #9 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM

wow,nice review. personally i thought the previews look good to go watch it at the movies. but,i skip it. until i saw this review i may rent it. and,probably not buy it.
post #10 of 33 Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 PM

As usual your review is spot-on. I just finished the movie and have one question. What the heck did I just watch? Nothing was explained. I was stunned when the credits rolled because either I missed something big or that information was dropped on the cutting room floor. I likely would not even recommend it as a rental, not to friends anyway.

XBL Gamertag: Shovelbum
PSN ID: Shovelbum
post #11 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 185
thanks Ralph, looking forward in watching this movie. Don't mind Vin Deisel

Frank

post #12 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree with this review ,the only thing to be one reason to buy this BD is sound quality.I saw a local dvd only for this country 2 months ago and did not enjoy this film as anticipated before.Anyway I will recieve this BD tomorrow.
post #13 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbn733mt View Post

I just finished the movie and have one question. What the heck did I just watch?

You saw people moving. LOL
post #14 of 33 Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Another " Coulda been a contender " ruined by studio interference. Strictly a rental for me.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Loved the part with the submarine coming out of the ice! Some potent LFE there as it felt like my HT floor was cracking under me! Also loved the drone chase, NYC shootout and flashback scene as well that you mentioned Ralph.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16 of 33 Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Loved the part with the submarine coming out of the ice! Some potent LFE there as it felt like my HT floor was cracking under me! Also loved the drone chase, NYC shootout and flashback scene as well that you mentioned Ralph.

Greetings,

Todd, I had the sub emerging in my notes but failed to include it in the review. I agree that it reaches down deep...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #17 of 33 Old 01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I actually thought the PQ was very good on this disc. However, I agree 100% with your take on the movie. It had potential to be decent, but the bad acting and ridiculous plot holes ruined it for me. And I thought the ending was stupid. I'm not sure if the movie would be worth more than a rental even if the holes were filled though.

I loved the sub scene though, definitely surprised me.
post #18 of 33 Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
This is the 101 minute cut released internationally by Studio Canal apparently. Even Fox abandoned their abortion of a 90 minute cut which was released theatrically.

Too bad Fox spent so much time interfering with this film (think Alien^3) that whatever footage that was shot was already adulterated to begin with.

The director would have done better to find Russian backers (think Night Watch) who would have let him make the movie the way he wanted.

Also, the PG-13 rating needs to die already (think Live Free or Die Hard, not coincidentally also a Fox film). We should go back to the days when there was only PG and R.
post #19 of 33 Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The chapter I want you to live is the best for sound demonstration,in fact it's the best worth for watching this film.Less action scenes than I have expected(even raw and uncut?)and it is Vin Diesel's movie a lot of actions must be.
post #20 of 33 Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM

how come when i put this disk in to my samsung blue ray player it will show me the previews in beg of disk but once the menu comes up and i try to watch the movie it wont load up? even if i try to watch a scene it wont load. nothing will play form the menu!!!
post #21 of 33 Old 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w View Post

Where did you hear about this? I'd like to read more on it....

You should be able to google this and find some info. The directors original cut was reported to be around 161 minutes I believe. So yeah Fox totally foxed this one up. I think the movie had potential to be good, but was left as something of a mess. I enjoyed it to a degree in this unrated cut, but really would have liked to have the true directors cut.
post #22 of 33 Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph, thanks for yet another spot on review. For me, there's little to be said that hasn't been said already in your review, as well as by other posters.

Of course, there were some decent action sequences but nothing we haven't seen before and the plot was horrible. As usual, Vin generally fits these type of parts well and I do like Michelle Yeogh but this flick was a stinker.

For me, the PQ/AQ was just good with the AQ in certain scenes, being excellent. Of note, I did have some problems with dialogue in quite a few parts of the film. Oh well, glad I just rented it.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #23 of 33 Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

You saw people moving. LOL

LOL.....yes moving in so many misguided directions, that you couldn't follow them.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #24 of 33 Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dont mind Vin Diesel's movies usually but reading a few posts on here im going in with low expectations

Frank

post #25 of 33 Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought this movie was terrible and this was Vin Diesel's worst acting I have seen. He wasn't that great of an actor to begin with, but this was low even for him. On top of that the movie just seemed really dull and the story line didn't make sense and was not entertaining.
post #26 of 33 Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wasn't too bad actually definitley not vins best movie but it was ok

Frank

post #27 of 33 Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wow! I watched it last night, what a bad movie. I agree the sound track was decent.. but I would prefer to watch Max payne over this anyday.

Max Payne albeit a bad movie is still a much better than this PO$, plus its soundtrack is also much better than Babylon.

I normally love to watch Vin Diesels movie.. but this one was just all over the place with no closure.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #28 of 33 Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, I finally got this from Netflix, first time seeing the film and I actually liked it alot. I must be the only person on the planet that liked this film. And in response to the Max Payne comparison, I hated that movie.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

LOL, I finally got this from Netflix, first time seeing the film and I actually liked it alot. I must be the only person on the planet that liked this film. And in response to the Max Payne comparison, I hated that movie.

I did not mind the movie either.

Frank

post #30 of 33 Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

Another " Coulda been a contender " ruined by studio interference. Strictly a rental for me.

Yeah I definetly had to rent this one first.

Not so good, but I agree with the sound quality...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Babylon A D Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page